Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Now that I've "completed" (no testing yet) all 5 of the starter playbooks, I've compiled them into one PDF document for ease of viewing.

Starborn Playbooks

(title is a WIP)

Featuring:

The Agent: Infiltrate the enemy! Gather intelligence! Observe your enemy, and then destroy them! Show them the basics of CQC!

The Engineer: Build a robot! And then build another one! Become one with the machine! Break stuff to help you break more stuff!

The Officer: Plan out your missions! Sometimes actually succeed in those plans! Start Riots! Order your allies around!

The Scientist: Be a Space Wizard! Show them the truth! THE REAL TRUTH! Summon Hard Light constructs like you're the fuckin' Green Lantern or whatever!

The Trooper: Tape a weapon to another weapon! Punch things so hard that they explode! Pilot basically anything! RIP AND TEAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

djw175 posted:

Can I take 8 battleaxes and combine them into an octuple battleaxe?

Battle-wheel!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Has anyone seen an editable character sheet that will work online, like in Google Docs?
Or maybe a website that's made for managing character sheets?
Thanks!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

RSIxidor posted:

Has anyone seen an editable character sheet that will work online, like in Google Docs?
Thanks!

I made a simple one here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkZNxIStvDyrdHBCN0gwTXR2MkhDMC02bzFva2FPcmc&usp=docslist_api if that fits your needs.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Does Mythweavers have a dungeon world sheet?

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
My D&D 5e DM is getting a little burnt out, and I offered to run a different campaign. I want to go with a more narrative based system since none of us have ever really tried one, and it seems like Dungeon World with proper conversions may be a good fit. Also, I've only DMed once before, in Mutants and Masterminds, and while I liked it, I'd prefer something a little lighter so I can focus on the story more than making sure I have stats written up.

As for the proper conversions- I've been watching Deadwood, and I've always liked the idea of Savage Worlds' Deadlands setting. I'm thinking 1870s American West with a healthy dose of supernatural and a little steampunk for the overall setting. The basic idea is that they'll be pioneers settling a new frontier town in an area that's been found to have gold. They'll have to deal with the locals who aren't too happy, various eldritch threats, developing a town and securing talent, maybe some political intrigue in becoming a legally annexed territory, and whatever else catches their/my fancy. It'll probably lean heavier towards city building and social aspects, but still have a fair deal of violence.

Do you guys have any recommendations in general or for playbooks/rules supplements/etc that'd help me get this off the ground?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I know that broken world (currently getting kickstartered, go contribute) will be getting rules for putting together your own seatlement or town if they hit the streach goal at $12,000 odd. But beyond that I don't know of any other settlement rules. Not sure if there's any books suited for your game idea.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

RSIxidor posted:

Thanks!

Roll20 recently implemented character sheets and Dungeon World is one of the games already supported.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

RSIxidor posted:

Thanks!

We just use simple Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17mL1h0B2TPiWe-bzHNFXYqfGPPcZUmpEgx2ncOKlcsc/edit?usp=sharing

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Dairy Power posted:

It'll probably lean heavier towards city building and social aspects, but still have a fair deal of violence.

Do you guys have any recommendations in general or for playbooks/rules supplements/etc that'd help me get this off the ground?

Here's one of your gm moves, taken straight from Sagas of the Icelanders, another PbtA hack:

quote:

Change the seasons: We usually follow the characters moment-to-moment, day-to-day. But the sagas cover years and generations. Every now and then, move time aggressively forward, especially when things are quiet or after larger conflicts are resolved. This is a good move to use at the beginning or end of a session. The time skipped could only be days or weeks, but months or seasons are usually more appropriate. In rare cases you may even skip years if it doesn’t disturb the flow of the game. Make sure the players (or their characters) aren’t in the middle of something when you do so.

Throw in some custom season moves. Use the steading rules from the Dungeon World core rules but at least one of the seasonal moves should allow PCs to change, remove or improve those Steading tags on a hit, with a 'prepare for the worst' on a miss. Partial Success would of course mean a new need or problem in addition to the player modifying the tag. Remember they have to say what they're doing in the fiction before they roll the move, the move just shows the results of their efforts.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Apocalypse World: Dark Age has rather good settlement management rules. It's in playtest now on lumpley.com

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does Mythweavers have a dungeon world sheet?

They currently do not.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

This might be the way we go with it. It's simple enough.

I do like Shukaro's as well. Thanks, guys.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I know that broken world (currently getting kickstartered, go contribute) will be getting rules for putting together your own seatlement or town if they hit the streach goal at $12,000 odd. But beyond that I don't know of any other settlement rules. Not sure if there's any books suited for your game idea.

drat, reading the kickstarter that looks perfect. It's a shame that it's not already out. Also digging the art.

Tulpa posted:

Here's one of your gm moves, taken straight from Sagas of the Icelanders, another PbtA hack:

Throw in some custom season moves. Use the steading rules from the Dungeon World core rules but at least one of the seasonal moves should allow PCs to change, remove or improve those Steading tags on a hit, with a 'prepare for the worst' on a miss. Partial Success would of course mean a new need or problem in addition to the player modifying the tag. Remember they have to say what they're doing in the fiction before they roll the move, the move just shows the results of their efforts.

Sounds like this would be a very helpful read for DMing. I'll have to pick this up. Plus, I love anything with this sort of setting.

Doodmons posted:

Apocalypse World: Dark Age has rather good settlement management rules. It's in playtest now on lumpley.com

Is all of the relevant information in the sheets.pdf? I'm having trouble making sense of the stuff that seems to pertain to settlement management.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dairy Power posted:

Is all of the relevant information in the sheets.pdf? I'm having trouble making sense of the stuff that seems to pertain to settlement management.

No. You'll want another PbtA game to flesh out the rules and GM sections. DW might suit because it has rules for developing the living world, but Dark Age is much more focused on community building than DW is. DA also has the disadvantage of not being finished, but it appears to be very playable at this stage. You should have good results getting questions answered over on their forums.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Dairy Power posted:

My D&D 5e DM is getting a little burnt out, and I offered to run a different campaign. I want to go with a more narrative based system since none of us have ever really tried one, and it seems like Dungeon World with proper conversions may be a good fit. Also, I've only DMed once before, in Mutants and Masterminds, and while I liked it, I'd prefer something a little lighter so I can focus on the story more than making sure I have stats written up.

As for the proper conversions- I've been watching Deadwood, and I've always liked the idea of Savage Worlds' Deadlands setting. I'm thinking 1870s American West with a healthy dose of supernatural and a little steampunk for the overall setting. The basic idea is that they'll be pioneers settling a new frontier town in an area that's been found to have gold. They'll have to deal with the locals who aren't too happy, various eldritch threats, developing a town and securing talent, maybe some political intrigue in becoming a legally annexed territory, and whatever else catches their/my fancy. It'll probably lean heavier towards city building and social aspects, but still have a fair deal of violence.

I think the original Apocalypse World might be the best fit for this kind of thing; its flavor is already closer and it's more focused on social stuff and, often, settled communities. (Though not to the extent that the current Dark Age playtest rules are.) Just rename the playbooks and some of the moves, say the weapons are Winchesters and revolvers instead of assault rifles and 9MM handguns, and you're fine. Like, one of the Apocalypse World playbooks (the Maestro D') is just blatantly Al Swearengen. The Angel becomes the Doc, the Hardholder is the Mayor, the Touchstone makes a fine Sheriff (they come with a built-in symbol of law and authority, and have moves to order people to stand down and such), give the Driver a horse instead of a car and call him the Rider...

Of course, then there's the sex moves, which tend to scare people off, so maybe not.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, I figured Dungeon World might feel a little more familiar rules-wise, and, honestly, I'd rather the concept of a sex move not even be mentioned. They're already a little wary of new rules and I don't want something goofy like that to taint the whole thing for them, even if it's something I'd reflavor.

Also, there's a decent chance I'll just convert the 5e campaign so they can at least have some continuity of character. Our campaigns have all been fairly short lived in the last year or so, and two of them brought that up that they hoped things would actually last this time. D&D style fantasy really isn't my favorite setting, but I'd rather do what I can to keep my friends playing. I grabbed Grim World, so maybe I'll start working toward more of that sort of fantasy after they take care of immediate orc threat to the nearby village. Luckily, we were already in the process of getting the rights to the lands surrounding this light house and attempting to attract locals to farm the lands, so the settlement building stuff would still fit in just fine.

Thanks for the ideas on how to make things work, though.

Do you guys have any general DMing resources you'd recommend other than what's in the main post and the game book? This is only going to be my second stab at DMing in general, and my first one didn't work out the best. I've been watching some videos on RollPlay and Missclicks to try to get an idea of what Dungeon World could feel like in play, but having some more directed advice would also be nice. A specific issue I'm worried about is making the campaign potentially lethal without feeling unfair.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Due to how *World games handle their encounters, you don't really have to worry too much about specific monsters making things get out of hand. I used to run into that problem where you plan out an encounter and your players just completely shred right through it, or you set up some minimal like a single Ogre and it dominates the entire party. It's something you have to get used to for sure, but read your DM/GM moves, and then read them again, and then go do something else, and then read them again. Clever use of them can turn the shittiest goblin into an unstoppable warlord, and it's all up to how play it. There's no challenge ratings like D&D uses, because it all boils down to fiction, and fiction is in your control.

The best advice I can give you is play close attention to your DM moves and tell your players to have a little patience while you get used to both the setting and how they play. Tailor your playstyle to theirs.

Also, read this:

The 16 HP Dragon

E: So I had this idea while I was doing work on my Dungeon* hack last night, and I wanted to run it by here in case anyone knows of anything like it, or that it's dumb, or whatever.

How would you guys feel about Job/Profession mini-playbooks?

Like, instead of being a full playbook like The Assassin or Shaman, it's a small collection of about 6 or so moves dedicated to something a little more mundane, that any other playbook can draw from when they level up instead of from their own moves. Stuff like:

Pilot: Mount related shenanigans
Chef: Dice up monsters and make food that has interesting benefits on whoever eats it
Sportsman: Block, tackle, pass, and fumble
Architect: Figure out the easiest ways to break structures or build your own

They differ from Compendium Classes in that there's no real restriction on getting these moves or "unlocking" method, and they don't come with drastic changes like access to the shadow realm or whatever.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 18, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Due to how *World games handle their encounters, you don't really have to worry too much about specific monsters making things get out of hand. I used to run into that problem where you plan out an encounter and your players just completely shred right through it, or you set up some minimal like a single Ogre and it dominates the entire party. It's something you have to get used to for sure, but read your DM/GM moves, and then read them again, and then go do something else, and then read them again. Clever use of them can turn the shittiest goblin into an unstoppable warlord, and it's all up to how play it. There's no challenge ratings like D&D uses, because it all boils down to fiction, and fiction is in your control.

The best advice I can give you is play close attention to your DM moves and tell your players to have a little patience while you get used to both the setting and how they play. Tailor your playstyle to theirs.

Also, read this:

The 16 HP Dragon

E: So I had this idea while I was doing work on my Dungeon* hack last night, and I wanted to run it by here in case anyone knows of anything like it, or that it's dumb, or whatever.

How would you guys feel about Job/Profession mini-playbooks?

Like, instead of being a full playbook like The Assassin or Shaman, it's a small collection of about 6 or so moves dedicated to something a little more mundane, that any other playbook can draw from when they level up instead of from their own moves. Stuff like:

Pilot: Mount related shenanigans
Chef: Dice up monsters and make food that has interesting benefits on whoever eats it
Sportsman: Block, tackle, pass, and fumble
Architect: Figure out the easiest ways to break structures or build your own

They differ from Compendium Classes in that there's no real restriction on getting these moves or "unlocking" method, and they don't come with drastic changes like access to the shadow realm or whatever.

Some compendium classes already work like that, especially since the conditions for getting into them can be extremely minor for a character who already tries to do that sort of thing. It'd be neat to see more good ones though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I realized how close they are to compendium classes, but I guess I never thought about just making them compendium classes with vague or non-existent requirements.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Could also be a factor that you don't have to spend a level up to get access to it's bonuses. That would make them pretty distinct from the compendium classes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

True. "Level up" could be representative of a good deal of time spent plying your profession, or doing something important with that profession. Like, if your dude's been going out of his way to make more and more elaborate meals over the course of your adventure, sure, take another move from the Chef list. Or if you dice up a dragon and feed an entire town this once-in-a-lifetime meal, that'll get you another boon as well.

E: Reworked how alien generation works. Now, you choose a profile with different limitations on tag categories, and then you apply tags within those categories. Rewrote a few of the races and added some new stuff. Currently sitting at 5 races by default, going to bump that up to 8 when all's said and done, covering each one of the "profiles".

Alien Codex

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 18, 2014

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Babe Magnet posted:

True. "Level up" could be representative of a good deal of time spent plying your profession, or doing something important with that profession. Like, if your dude's been going out of his way to make more and more elaborate meals over the course of your adventure, sure, take another move from the Chef list. Or if you dice up a dragon and feed an entire town this once-in-a-lifetime meal, that'll get you another boon as well.

E: Reworked how alien generation works. Now, you choose a profile with different limitations on tag categories, and then you apply tags within those categories. Rewrote a few of the races and added some new stuff. Currently sitting at 5 races by default, going to bump that up to 8 when all's said and done, covering each one of the "profiles".

Alien Codex

I just wanted to ask if it was all right if I yoinked your alien generation stuff for my Star Trek hack, because honestly, even if I wrote up my own, it'd look pretty much the same as yours - and it does a fantastic job of giving the GM a tool for quickly coming up with a framework for an alien race.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

100% go for it. If you come up with any new neat ideas or tags for the categories and feel like sharing, please do! More variety is always better.

Planet gen is coming too and it will work largely the same way.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Excellent read, thanks. Those concepts will definitely be good to keep in mind when running a big baddy.

Ok, turns out my players are super fickle and when I was asking them to make a final decision on setting they threw me a curve ball and want to play an eldritch horror/Lovecraftian-inspired campaign now, which I'm absolutely not at all opposed to, but really changes all of my planning. Also, I think the tone will be harder to pull off. I'm really not even sure that * World is the best system for it, but I guess we'll give it a go.

I'm guessing this is the death of my settlement building dream, unless I get really creative.

Maybe they're the cultists and are trying to build a settlement in the jungle of South America, secretly recruiting the faithful, since the summoning ritual for Whatever Elder God requires thousands of simultaneous worshipers in a centralized spot and some US/Canadian joint government agency is on to them? That doesn't sound forced at all, right?

Tacking on a sanity system also seems like it would be a nice addition for the game... I know Tremulus exists, but I'm really kinda married to the idea of using Dungeon World as the base at this point since I've put so much time into Dungeon World specifics.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Luckily, peeps got you covered.

From the OP:

Cthulu-style Front and sanity move.

Madness mechanics.

Also, reading the OP, turns out aldantefax already did Job/Profession-style moves, but I'm still going to put my own spin on something a tiny bit different.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

You guys are goddamn beautiful.

I'm reading through tremulus' sanity system now, and I think may actually go with that. Seems like I could directly pull it over without issue, and I want something on par with HP in importance and mechanics. I actually really like how they implemented it, from what I've read thus far. The front and the madness section give me some devious ideas, though :cthulhu:

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Check out the sanity system in Black Stars Rise, it's a game by the creators of Dungeon World that they are making in response to some of the (many) shortcomings in tremulus.

You draw "Breaks" from a deck when the moves tell you to do so, and they're all flavorful kinds of 'madness' that would appear in a Ligottian/Lovecraftian short story.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Whatever happened to Pirate World? Wasn't that supposed to be out a while ago?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

zarathud posted:

As a backer I totally even forgot about it. I've been on the back burner for TG games as my normal group just can't seem to schedule more than once a month, you'd think it'd be easier to find stable groups in Chicago :negative:

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 19, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of lethality and encounter-building in DW: because the game supports improvisation and introducing new threats on the fly, even during a single encounter you can easily use your monster moves or DM moves to adjust the difficulty of the encounter. I know I'm personally guilty of sometimes just using 6- results in combat encounters just to deal damage to my players, but in a given encounter you'll usually have so many different moves to fall back on that you can change the flow of the combat really quickly I'd need be.

For an example, goblins (I'm using them as an example because I love those little guys) have moves for retreating and calling reinforcements. You might start an encounter with two goblins per player, but once it becomes clear that the goblins are getting slaughtered you can make a soft move to set up the fact that one of the goblins is running off to get some back up. Depending on how your players react to this the encounter might change completely.

On the opposite side, suppose you overdid it a bit with your encounter and your players are about to be slaughtered. Remember that not even monsters might want to kill the characters indiscriminately. Orcs might capture the characters alive to sell them off to slavery, an owlbear might grab a character and head off to its nest to feed said character to its young, and so on. Not every encounter needs to have lethal stakes.

Also, on the player side, as long as the players are fighting against intelligent creatures they can usually surrender or negotiate. Tell them the consequences and ask is a valid soft move to make even in the middle of a fight: "Okay, these orcs are going to fight you to death unless you choose to negotiate with them or surrender. What do you do?" If the players have some leverage on their opponents they can Parley (with a 10+ being an acceptance of the players terms, 7-9 being conditional acceptance and 6- probably being "You're in no position to negotiate, we demand an unconditional surrender!")

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Alien Codex

The tables there look perfectly usable in a fantasy themed game as well. Maybe a few modifications, but still quite usable.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Tulpa posted:

Check out the sanity system in Black Stars Rise, it's a game by the creators of Dungeon World that they are making in response to some of the (many) shortcomings in tremulus.

You draw "Breaks" from a deck when the moves tell you to do so, and they're all flavorful kinds of 'madness' that would appear in a Ligottian/Lovecraftian short story.

Has anyone done a breakdown of what's wrong with tremulus? I thought it looked pretty good, even ran a few sessions with it at cons and had a good time.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

zarathud posted:

Looking at the Kickstarter now has me worried. No update since July and a flood of comments talking about refunds.

Gothic_Rooster
Apr 21, 2013

RSIxidor posted:

Looking at the Kickstarter now has me worried. No update since July and a flood of comments talking about refunds.

The creator finally surfaced on the Pirate World community of G+ and says he will finish the book, although he still hasn't updated the KS.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

RSIxidor posted:

Can't remember his name but he is a poster here and I believe is in graduate school or something, so I don't really care about the delay as long as it comes out eventually. I still laugh at people wanting refunds from kickstarter though.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Can't remember his name but he is a poster here and I believe is in graduate school or something, so I don't really care about the delay as long as it comes out eventually. I still laugh at people wanting refunds from kickstarter though.

Yeah, I read the G+ post. I'm not worried now. I wasn't going to ask for a refund anyway. I always stick through on these things.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That'd be me! Definitely still working on it. Hoping to have Pirate World finished soon. Kickstarter is being a pain and the page keeps hanging when I try to update there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Geez, I forgot I wrote these. It was supposed to be part of a larger Planarch Codex-style thing (Madness Bonds and Fear Alignments were things other people were contributing) but I think the project died on the vine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RSIxidor posted:

The tables there look perfectly usable in a fantasy themed game as well. Maybe a few modifications, but still quite usable.

Yeah, the plan is to have a lot of stuff able to fit various amounts of theming, from fantasy, to modern, to sci-fi, but primarily hinge on that last category as a base. I'm trying not to include too much that won't fit into other setting with little name change here and a little rephrasing there. For example, Spaceship Combat is almost completely palette-swappable with Airship Combat.

Some things are a little more difficult, like cybernetics and Mech Suits, while others can stretch surprisingly far, like you should be able to use Planet Gen as a makeshift Planar Dimension Gen.