Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I thought that the Tower of Kagutsuchi was a really fun and interesting set piece and had fun traversing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The best dungeon of SMT IV is Europe. Been stuck in there for over a year.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think the Domains are where SMT4 really dropped the ball re: dungeons. The layouts and the textures are really bland (although the texture design could have lent itself into some pretty interesting dungeon designs - Medusa's lair was kinda neat for what it was).

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
The domains are pretty obviously an excuse to save money on creating art assets by making lots of small dungeons that all have the same generic tileset

SMT1-2 had the generic tilesets for everything but they had to do something else in 4 since the main locations actually looked like something

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whew, finally beat Devil Survivor Overclocked (Amane route)!

That Bel boss rush at the end was some serious bullshit, especially Beldr not being affected by Almighty attacks or even Pierce. Moreso since I had given my MC a more magic build and his strength was fairly low, which led to a party wipe the first time I tried it as Beldr healed himself with Vampiric Mist almost as much as my MC was able to damage him every turn. That left me empty on MP after Beldr finally went down, and with no way to heal I just couldn't get through the rest.

I'm not fond of this Rewards thing though. I saved my clear data and started a NG+ with pretty meh rewards. I think all I was able to get was removing the level cap on fusions, carrying over one demon and my Macca and skills. I'm assuming the Compendium, when I get it, still got carried over? There wasn't an option to carry over the Compendium so I'm hoping it's done automatically and I don't have to start over on it. Also, was it better to do the clear save, or should I have gone for the Day 8 save? Would I have gotten a clear save data at the end of that too if I'd done that? Because I guess otherwise I'll have to do Amane's route a second time to see what the Day 8 thing was about.

Oh also, are there any guides for specific things to do to trigger endings? GameFAQs has a couple of guides but they don't just say "To get this ending do this and this." The Megami Tensei wiki wasn't much help either, for example for Atsuro's ending it just says "Talk to Atsuro on Day 7" but I never got him as an option on my last playthrough (just Amane and Yuzu), so obviously I have to do something specific to have him as an option.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Kurtofan posted:

The best dungeon of SMT IV is Europe. Been stuck in there for over a year.

:golfclap:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Beldr is not affected by strength, the damage you do to him is affected entirely by your level.

Its hilarious how people still don't know this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Beldr is not affected by strength, the damage you do to him is affected entirely by your level.

Is it?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alteisen posted:

It seemed like I did more damage when I was grinding for money and put a few more stat points into Strength along the way, but it's not like I kept track or anything. Besides the bigger help was definitely rolling with an Orochi with Extra One and Koumon for Double Up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's because you gained levels. You can't put points into Str without gaining levels. Of course your damage went up; that's a false positive.

Twelve by Pies posted:

for example for Atsuro's ending it just says "Talk to Atsuro on Day 7" but I never got him as an option on my last playthrough (just Amane and Yuzu), so obviously I have to do something specific to have him as an option.

Yuzu's is unmissable, so that's easy enough to do.

Amane's is apparently missable but you have to be such a colossal shitheel to do it that it requires a lot more effort than actually getting most of the others.

Gin's is the hardest to lock yourself out of. It's always available unless either Haru dies, or he does.

Atsuro's is unavailable if Keisuke dies. Always available if he lives.

Kaido's ending requires not letting Mari become vampire food, going to places at the right time come endgame and then telling him where something related to the Shomonkai is.

Naoya's ending is a loving pain to get so of course it's functionally identical to Kaido's in content (except for Overclocked). Everytime he has an event you have to do it, everytime something about his research comes up you have to do that too, his fight at the start of Day 5 with the silly 3 turn requirement has to be successfully done (pretty sure failing doesn't lose the mission at least), Mari has to be alive and I think Haru does too.

Honda's ending is not an ending.

Day 8s are unique to Yuzu, Amane and Naoya's endings. Naoya has two 8th days, the other two just have one. They're mostly some fallout from your decision, with bonus fights and some Bels making their return. Beating 'em potentially unlocks new demons for you to fuse; Yuzu gets Baphomet no matter what, Bishamonten, Komoukoten and Jikokuten if you help them and potentially Pazuzu if you didn't get him in the main game. Amane gets Susano-O and Okukinushi no matter what, and Naoya gets Loki and Metatron if you didn't unlock them on other routes.

I think that's everything?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Gin's is the hardest to lock yourself out of. It's always available unless either Haru dies, or he does.

Atsuro's is unavailable if Keisuke dies. Always available if he lives.

Huh, I saved both him and Haru and didn't get his ending as an option. Keisuke also didn't die, and I didn't get the option for Atsuro's ending...but Keisuke WAS in my party, so I guess maybe he has to not be in my party then.

Again though I'm playing Overclocked so maybe they changed some requirements from the original DS?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Does it matter if I don't finish the battle at the end of the fifth day where Naoya leaves after Hero's third turn in time?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also, was it better to do the clear save, or should I have gone for the Day 8 save? Would I have gotten a clear save data at the end of that too if I'd done that? Because I guess otherwise I'll have to do Amane's route a second time to see what the Day 8 thing was about.

Yes. In fact, after doing the 8th day stuff, the game gives you the option of either going to NG+ or doing the 8th day again. You get to do this as many times as you like and your party/demons/experience keep on transferring over each time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yep, I did a run where I put points into agility and compared it to one where I put them into strength, level 30 which is the max you can be at that point via grinding, was doing 70 to him both times. Also compared to my regular run before I knew anything about where I went full magic.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Unless they changed it for Overclocked, I am pretty sure Haru has to be alive for all endings, except Yuzu's and Atsuro's. Gin's ending, he of course has to be alive, but there are scenes you need to watch to trigger it. There are pretty much scenes you have to see, or battles you have to fight, for all the endings, except Yuzu's. Her ending is the "You done hosed up" ending for locking yourself out of everything else, which is why it is always available.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Yes. In fact, after doing the 8th day stuff, the game gives you the option of either going to NG+ or doing the 8th day again. You get to do this as many times as you like and your party/demons/experience keep on transferring over each time.

poo poo, and I already saved over my old save, guess I'll just start a new game on Easy anyway, try and get the no deaths title while I'm at it, since I'm gonna have to do the Amane route again anyway for the 8th day stuff.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Unless they changed it for Overclocked, I am pretty sure Haru has to be alive for all endings, except Yuzu's and Atsuro's.

Yeah, if Haru dies during the Belial fight it's game over I'm pretty sure. I actually did find a simple guide from googling around that basically tells you everything you need to do to unlock every ending possibility, so I'm using that now. Even told me how to get the Muckraker title which I missed on my first playthrough.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I saved both him and Haru and didn't get his ending as an option. Keisuke also didn't die, and I didn't get the option for Atsuro's ending...but Keisuke WAS in my party, so I guess maybe he has to not be in my party then.

Again though I'm playing Overclocked so maybe they changed some requirements from the original DS?

I think getting Atsuro's ending also requires that you do the event chain involving 10BIT correctly.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, if Haru dies during the Belial fight it's game over I'm pretty sure.

She can die before that fight, though. A friend of mine wasn't paying attention on his first playthrough so he let her die and if I remember correctly he still got most of the routes unlocked. I think he did Amane's.

e.: I was wrong. He told me he got stuck with Yuzu's.

DoctorX fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 13, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To be fair the neutral paths are usually terrible too because your directly or indirectly championing humanity and lets be honest here, folks, it's their fault to begin with in basically every game.

This is why I like the Anguished One's path in Devil Survivor 2, you can call bullshit not only on both alignments but on humanity being a ton of fuckups and basically push a giant "reset the world" button.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Race Realists posted:

I see where I hosed up at now. Using my 10/18 save, I was supposed to accept the offer for the priestess night phone call on 10/20. HERE'S where I hosed up: I didn't realize that you get points for simply ACCEPTING the offer, and that you KEEP those points EVEN IF you cancel the actual offer (explains why I wasnt able to max Magician on the date it was supposed to). So with this, I can now max both the priestess AND magician social links... But I'm already in December..

SO, two options now: Restart back to October and fight Hanged Man all over again, giving me two maxed social links, or simply say gently caress it and move on? Are Surt and Scathach worth it?

Well, I went ahead re-fought the Hanged Man/Strega and....

Auto-Tarukaja + Mind Charge + Fire Boost + Fire Amp + Ragnarok = HOLY poo poo. I ended up taking down Takaya with three hits (the power up doing up to 1200 damage). I did around 1001 to Hanged Man.

So, anway... Anyone know how to get Ice Boost and Mind Charge on Skadi?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wait, do (Element) Boost and (Element) Amp stack on top of each other? I had been deleting the Boost skill in favor of the Amp one before.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, do (Element) Boost and (Element) Amp stack on top of each other? I had been deleting the Boost skill in favor of the Amp one before.

They do. :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

StandardVC10 posted:

Yes.

I liked to do that with Yukiko in P4. Too bad I couldn't get her Mind Charge, since it was the PS2 version.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really excited about Persona 5, but I am afraid I am never going to finish Persona 3 FES. I just don't seem to have the time for it with how busy I am with real life school to spend the time on my fake Japanese school. I was just wondering if anyone had a good walk through that I could follow or is it really better to just play the game by ear. I've also been thinking about trying to get through the PSP version instead, it would probably be easier to manage.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty hard to gently caress up the good and bad endings in Persona 3. There's a single decision point and everything else is just grinding and picking the characters you want to S.link with. That being said, Persona 3 Portable does have the advantage of being able to be played in short bursts on the go and can even be played in PPSSPP (psp emulator for android/ios/pc) if you're afraid of people seeing you with a game console.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're worried about that you can just play at home anyway. You don't need a guide for anything but maxing every s-link in one run, but this is by no means required to complete the game. Like Dehry said, the good/bad ending is a single point and it's much easier to figure out than in Persona 4. There's some optional scenes you can miss but they won't stop you from completing the game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

aaaa I was playing it wrong the whole time!

Well I'd been meaning to do it again to see some social links that I didn't really pursue / possibly new game plus.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
For those who don't know, it's been confirmed that Atlus is going to show more P5 stuff at TGS. :getin:

Edit: Though I guess they could just show the same trailer. Hopefully not though!

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2014

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

cmykjester posted:

I was just wondering if anyone had a good walk through that I could follow or is it really better to just play the game by ear.

Unlike P4, Persona 3 is not really meant to 100% all the s-links in one playthrough. It's possible, but very FAQ required. This is something they fixed in 4 since who wants to replay a seventy hour game just to not make fun of a fat kid.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh okay thanks! I'll give it try again once I can find some time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Authorman posted:

Unlike P4, Persona 3 is not really meant to 100% all the s-links in one playthrough. It's possible, but very FAQ required. This is something they fixed in 4 since who wants to replay a seventy hour game just to not make fun of a fat kid.
You're not really supposed to 100% P4 in one run either. It's just that managing your Links is a little bit less stressful since P4 doesn't have dumb reversal mechanics for the most part.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a shame how they made getting max s-links easier but the reward for it is worse. At least Orpheus Telos was in the compendium, what's even the point of using Izanagi-no-Okami?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Maxing links in P4 affects a whole lot more than giving you 1 extra demon to play with for starters

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yes, maxing your party's links gives a lot to those characters. Maxing every link in one run does not though, which is the point. Like maybe you get an armor set as well (I know Margaret gives you one for something but can't remember if that's why) but it's useless because you don't keep armor in NG+. And now that I think of it, Izanagi is just a NG+ thing and not tied to your s-links at all.

Oh and I guess there's a trophy in P4G.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nate RFB posted:

You're not really supposed to 100% P4 in one run either. It's just that managing your Links is a little bit less stressful since P4 doesn't have dumb reversal mechanics for the most part.

When P4 first came out I got to Naota's dungeon and never beat it.

Now this year I am playing P4G because I always regretted not finishing the game. I'm using a guide to max social links, but should I just abandon it and have fun? And if I do abandon it, what links are neccessary for extra content (I was led to believe that Marie led to more content...?) and what links become non-completable in the first run (Jester, I'm assuming?).

The guide is real nice cause it also lets me know the days when quests come up and what books become available and mini-events, but if none of it matters at all for first run I'm willing to cut ties with it in June.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

P5 being another story about a high-school boy (and one that doesn't seem to deviate in style that much from all the others) is kind of boring to me but I'm hoping that Atlus has some ideas to make it more interesting. I mean I understand that's kind of the series' thing but it would be nice for something different either in age or gender.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As long as there is a delinquent character with self image issues it will be fine. After all, there's been one in every drat game.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

As long as there is a delinquent character with self image issues it will be fine. After all, there's been one in every drat game.

I hope there's a robot babe character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In P3 you shot yourself in the head to summon your persona, in P4 you used a tarot card. Now in P5 you turn into a robot high school girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The robot girl is Hatsune Miku. Thanks Sega.