Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

My truest of dreams is, and forever will be, Zone of the Enders. Will never loving happen, but if we're talking unrealistic dreams, that one's mine.

I'd want Zone of the Enders, but only if they could somehow manage the two main games and the Fist of Mars, just to see Cage and Shinji hang out and realize they're essentially the same person. Really just go nuts with Mars based things with Nadesico, AGE, and ZOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

I'd want Zone of the Enders, but only if they could somehow manage the two main games and the Fist of Mars, just to see Cage and Shinji hang out and realize they're essentially the same person. Really just go nuts with Mars based things with Nadesico, AGE, and ZOE.
To be honest, Shinji is essentially the same as a lot of robot anime main characters, just somewhat more so.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The ACE trio of Transformers shows and Car Robots (Robots in Disguise) are pretty good fits for Super Robot Wars both with plots, and also silly mid season powerups and new attacks. The American made series would be harder to fit generally speaking and the animation style on the 3d series would be odd to translate to SRW.

But I don't see Hasbro agreeing to it any time soon really. So it's just a nice daydream.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Sakura Wars appeared in Project X Zone. It's sort of hard to imagine they'd go "never to you!!" when it was in a game with several SRW characters already.

The justification I usually see is 'We don't want our characters fighting humans' which would limit the casts to things that don't fight humans. Still, I can't imagine coming up with casts that don't fight humans is very hard, and that's assuming that the rumor is true in the first place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think that giving Sakura Wars characters in SRW would be an admission by Sega that they never plan to have those characters in one of their own SRPGs ever again. But maybe it's time for that...

edit: Ogami and Chirico could have a team up attack where they both jump out of their robot and stab/shoot the enemy pilot.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Ogami and Chirico could have a team up attack where they both jump out of their robot and stab/shoot the enemy pilot.

This, but for all of the girls. Also Maria/Chirico OTP. Kallen and Heero go home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

This, but for all of the girls. Also Maria/Chirico OTP. Kallen go home.

Why do you want Maria to die?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Why do you want Maria to die?

poo poo. I take it back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I would want to see Orihime's cut-ins the most. Good old Orihime and her silly accent which I guess is supposed to be Italian or something.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Man, seeing Fist of Mars show up in a SRW would have me squealing like a bigger idiot than normal. I played the gently caress out of that game in high school :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, in MKF, Neo Granzon is a special mode of Granzon that you can activate at morale 130. That's new...unless it was that way in Dark Prison.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I didn't know what to expect going into the finale mission of Alpha, but I certainly wasn't expecting this. I am something like 3 hours in and it's STILL GOING. And that's with basically no battle animations. Yeeeeeah I'm going to be burned out of SRW for a few weeks when this is over. And any other tactics game for that matter. I think I'll just play a nice RPG or two.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, in MKF, Neo Granzon is a special mode of Granzon that you can activate at morale 130. That's new...unless it was that way in Dark Prison.

They probably did it like that for parity with the possession modes, since Neo Granzon has sort have become Granzon's rough equivalent.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

Did UX use the anime version of Demonbane? Because if they used the game version then Muv-Luv Alternative has a shot.
The former, although it sort of fixes the problems of the Anime adaptation... which would be that it had a budget of $5 and was edited by a monkey so unless you watched the source material it's extremely unclear as to what is going on.

So... well, the only "Game-only" entry we have so far for SRW is Virtual On...

Gaius Marius posted:

Not to mention if it follow the plot it's gonna end up taking a top tier real pilot like Takeru and stick him in a Super Robot Susanoo right near the end.
I don't really understand why this will be a problem... hybrid characters that are top tier and can do both jobs do exist (see Ryusei's R1 -> SRX). I guess the game could also give you the option of switching him back if you really wanted to...

I guess skill builds? Well, it's a issue with Ryusei back in OG1 and 2 also, isn't it?

Tae posted:

Is there really a "I know this CAN'T be in it" when such previous examples like Patlabor made it in, or even Sgt. Frog?

Would Bamco include a series that was

1) Really terrible
2) Obscure (so SEED Destiny doesn't count, because despite its quality, its brand name got it a bunch of infamy)
3) And to complete the trifecta, let's make it a videogame adaptation as well.

In other words, if Bamco manage to get the license for Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven one day (for the price of a ham sandwich, I assume) and include it in a game... well, I can't say I would pre-order a copy of it right away, mostly because I think I would die of laughter during the PV reveal.

Getsuya posted:

I didn't know what to expect going into the finale mission of Alpha, but I certainly wasn't expecting this. I am something like 3 hours in and it's STILL GOING.
Oh man, I remember one-shotting the last boss in Alpha 1 (after developing a bunch of experience with that game.)

Was a pretty good experience compared to the HP sponges we get as "final bosses" nowadays

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Aaaaaand ragequit. I'm not really sure what they were thinking with that last stage. Granted I went the 'hard' route and maybe they don't expect you to do that on your first playthrough, or maybe I suck at building characters, or maybe I just never really figured out the game, but it's kind of depressing when all of the sudden right after the end after playing through something like 3 hours of this stage I finally beat the 'last boss' only to have the true last boss and four stupid copies of the stupid thing I just freaking shot down pop out.

I can't one-shot him because nothing is powerful enough.
I can't two shot him because he regenerates and it only costs him five energy so he can literally do it all day.
I can't survive enemy rounds because the only way I can dodge him with any reasonable success is to Hirameki and his double attacks make that moot.
I can't even damage his guards reliably without burning a bunch of SP, so I'm lucky to even have enough left to Hirameki or Shuchu by this point.
Even his guards can one or two shot anything I field so it's a moot point anyway. I can dodge tank them with one or two of my reals, but not for any extended period of time due to there always being a slim chance of them getting hit and one-shotted.

Whatever. I'll go play some Wild Arms or something. I was having a lot of fun with this game, but that last stage isn't even remotely fun.

Edit: Incidentally, I can't get the SRX to combine. I only used it once or twice so I haven't run out of my 10 uses of it yet, but for some reason when I line the three mechs up I can't get the combine option. Am I doing something wrong?

Also I realize there has to be some kind of gimmick to this stupid last level so could someone just tell me how to beat it please?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 15, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'll try to help but it's been a long time since I played Alpha 1.

Getsuya posted:

I can't two shot him because he regenerates and it only costs him five energy so he can literally do it all day.
Does he actually have Regen ability on his boss info field or is this cutscene restoration of HP?

If it's the latter, he only does it a couple of times, so you just got to keep reducing it and you'll eventually kill him.

quote:

Edit: Incidentally, I can't get the SRX to combine. I only used it once or twice so I haven't run out of my 10 uses of it yet, but for some reason when I line the three mechs up I can't get the combine option. Am I doing something wrong?
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know the issue if you are very sure you haven't used up all 10 charges, but once the R-Gun joins, it's considered one of the 4 units you need to form the SRX.

Also that particular unit is a very good candidate for one-shotting the last boss.

Be sure to abuse any Daunt users you have

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically Alpha 1 didn't have the capacity to do large HP pools, so what they did was give opponents multiple regeneration scripts as a replacement. You can bypass the thing for some reason if you can deal enough damage in one shot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Basically it serves to make boss fights a tedious slog as you need to save resources because you're not sure if he's still gonna heal himself yet again.

FMW does it way better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I honestly did not remember the final stage of Alpha 1 being a slog. I remember pretty much breezing it after recruiting Ingram.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Onmi posted:

I remember pretty much breezing it after recruiting Ingram.
Ingram's a secret that needs several flags, and if he didn't use an FAQ it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to access that.

But yeah if you can recruit the guy, it's basically a free unit with final boss stats on your team which makes the mission very easy.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I actually did follow a guide, but I'm not sure if I got enough 'Rival Points' in the end. Is there a way to tell right away if it's going to work or not or will you only be able to tell if you go to recruit him and there's no option to talk to him?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

I actually did follow a guide, but I'm not sure if I got enough 'Rival Points' in the end. Is there a way to tell right away if it's going to work or not or will you only be able to tell if you go to recruit him and there's no option to talk to him?
Actually, I looked it up again and assuming Akurasu wiki is actually correct, Ingram's recruitment seems pretty trivial and requires you to attack him in two particular stages with either Ryusei or the main character, which is something that probably will be done naturally through the process of those missions.

Then just try to recruit him on the final mission with Ryusei.

And yeah, you don't get to see whether you tripped the flags for secrets, it's always been that way, and I'm not particularly fond of it.

Rival points is for a completely different secret that I assume is not worth the trouble to pursue at all, probably involving Irm.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The final stage of Alpha was wonky as hell for me. Suddenly even grunts do waaaay too much damage to my guys, and due to the regeneration, the best tactic is to either go all in and 1-shot the boss (and sub-bosses). or whittle them down so that you can trigger all their regeneration while conserving HP, EN, and SP.

Someone told me here that there was likely an armor bug in the final stage, and I'm inclined to agree.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

The final stage of Alpha was wonky as hell for me. Suddenly even grunts do waaaay too much damage to my guys, and due to the regeneration, the best tactic is to either go all in and 1-shot the boss (and sub-bosses). or whittle them down so that you can trigger all their regeneration while conserving HP, EN, and SP.

Someone told me here that there was likely an armor bug in the final stage, and I'm inclined to agree.

This is kind of how I felt. I mean yeah it's one thing to be one-shotting my little Reals, but I have Supers with max Armor and double Chou-Z Material or whatever it's called. They have something in the 4000s of Armor. They shouldn't be taking half their health in damage from anyone, even the last boss's flunkies.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Getsuya posted:

This is kind of how I felt. I mean yeah it's one thing to be one-shotting my little Reals, but I have Supers with max Armor and double Chou-Z Material or whatever it's called. They have something in the 4000s of Armor. They shouldn't be taking half their health in damage from anyone, even the last boss's flunkies.

I've been told that there are, due to a bug, 0-armor tiles in the last mission. So, if your supers are standing in one, they'll get wrecked.

As far as I know, the only way to tell if you're on a buggy tile is by trial and error.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I don't regret playing Alpha 1, but I'm never doing that again. If you got to the last stage, you're not missing anything by skipping to the next game in my opinion.

And if you're thinking about a JRPG to cool down, I'd like to recommend MS Saga. It's got Gundams and a fun battle system.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
poo poo yeah, bring MS Saga into SRW. I want everything to have a Scopedog head.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The problem with MS Saga is that customization takes a huge nosedive once you start getting actual Gundams, because it basically becomes ideal to just give people the full Gundam rather than mix-and-matching bits like before. Got a little lame, and also poo poo got mad grindy late-game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Davzz posted:

I don't really understand why this will be a problem... hybrid characters that are top tier and can do both jobs do exist (see Ryusei's R1 -> SRX). I guess the game could also give you the option of switching him back if you really wanted to...
It's not that big of a deal but if you were using Takeru as one of your frontline real dodge tanks and then he suddenly gets stuck in the susanoo it's probably gonna annoy you. Also skills like focus are going to be useless in something like the susanoo since it's going to be using it's barrier to tank damage anyway. Probably the best solution is to force him to use it on the one opertaion ouka mission then let him switch between the Susanoo and the Type 00c Takemikazuchi he pilots in The Day After.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Aaaaaand ragequit.

If you have a save from before you beat the first Zyflud, do this: Hit him with your weakest attacks until you've triggered all of Laodecia's regenerations (should be 3/4), they are at (IIRC) 90%, 70%, 50% and maybe 30% health. Then murder his face. Do the same with Euzeth.

You can also preemptively send people to where Euzeth spawns to do all this before he even gets a turn.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not that big of a deal but if you were using Takeru as one of your frontline real dodge tanks and then he suddenly gets stuck in the susanoo it's probably gonna annoy you. Also skills like focus are going to be useless in something like the susanoo since it's going to be using it's barrier to tank damage anyway. Probably the best solution is to force him to use it on the one opertaion ouka mission then let him switch between the Susanoo and the Type 00c Takemikazuchi he pilots in The Day After.

Max dodges with the Macross 7, there is no reason to believe Takeru wouldn't be able to do the same. Especially with all the love for unique FUB/Ace bonuses these days. Halfway upgrade the Susanoo for +25 Evasion? Sure, why not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Getsuya posted:

ooo and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Magic Knight Rayearth in the same game with Dunbine and Escaflowne.
Maybe God Mazinger, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You could make him a Real with a super set of spirits, like Kallen or Gai Daigouji.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or Ryusei. I'm pretty sure I remember him not having Focus in OG3.

e: checked and I'm right. Just Strike.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ryusei doesn't really need Focus. Psychodriver makes him one of the dodgier characters and the SRX is actually pretty hilariously mobile if you pump up its evasion thanks to Psychodriver+ the Aya and Rai friendship boosts.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

You could make him a Real with a super set of spirits, like Kallen or Gai Daigouji.

Iron Wall/Guard + high-end barriers is always hilarious.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Schwarzwald posted:

Magic Knight Rayearth in the same game with Dunbine and Escaflowne.
Maybe God Mazinger, too.

Don't forget Galient and Break Blade!

I had the idea that since basing a whole thing around just fantasy mecha shows would be kinda limited, that at the same time there'd also be a parallel super-80s-cyberpunk world of namely Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, Megazone 23, Macross Plus, Zegapain, and Laserion, and eventually they'd end up united in some way. It'd also do well to have Escaflowne's villain make a lot more sense, alongside having better context for Autozam in Rayearth's second season.

Lacking a Gundam or a Getter. Maybe New Getter would work well in the magic world and the in-between OVAs of UC Gundam would fit into the future one? Stardust Memory is probably the most 80s of the lot and it wasn't even made then. More 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket is always good too.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

Lacking a Gundam...
SD Gundam Three Kingdoms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Max dodges with the Macross 7, there is no reason to believe Takeru wouldn't be able to do the same. Especially with all the love for unique FUB/Ace bonuses these days. Halfway upgrade the Susanoo for +25 Evasion? Sure, why not.
The susanoo is the closest thing to a battle ship that Muv Luv has and is also gently caress huge in comparison to the TSFs, thematically it really shouldn't be dodging especially since it's barrier protects it from basically all BETA attacks.

Endorph posted:

Spirits like guard and iron wall don't really fit with his fighting style which is incredibly acrobatic and dodge heavy on account of his mad video gaming skills. His spirit set would probably be more like

Focus
Accel
Flash
Attune
Courage(changes to Love)
Zeal

Although I can't remember how many spirits modern SRW characters have

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Although I can't remember how many spirits modern SRW characters have
6 for mains, unless you're a NEO system character, then 4.

I'm less certain about how many spirits Subs get nowadays. 6 always seem a bit too many for units with more than 2 pilots... NEO subs generally have 2 commands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Depends on how many pilots the mech has. Mechs that are duos - like Simon/Viral - let both pilots have six spirits. Big teams like Dancouga or battleships give the main 6 and the subs 4.

• Locked thread