Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

poo poo, I may actually farm Alex again due to this.

This exploit has been patched, and i highly suggest not being a cheating dirty bastard in salvage for a good long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

This exploit has been patched, and i highly suggest not being a cheating dirty bastard in salvage for a good long while.

No, I mean, legit farming. :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wasn't it more so the fact there were logs of these people getting 7k Alex a day and not so much the actual clipper? I find I hard to believe you would get banned or caught running between rooms really fast. Also id have done what they did if I knew about it. Three day ban for making a billion Gil? I like that trade off very much.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Wasn't it more so the fact there were logs of these people getting 7k Alex a day and not so much the actual clipper? I find I hard to believe you would get banned or caught running between rooms really fast. Also id have done what they did if I knew about it. Three day ban for making a billion Gil? I like that trade off very much.

They weren't just running between rooms, they were clippering between entire separate sections. My warning really is only to point out what they were doing, to prevent other goons from hearing about it and attempting it, only to get banned.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sup Walk of Echoes v2.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It seems like tomorrow, returning users can return for a week. I'll probably play for a week and check out this trust magic thing. It seems like with 500 login points you can unlock Naja.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kazy posted:

Sup Walk of Echoes v2.

The windbuffet+1 and prosilio+1 belts look very tasty for my sam. Unfortunately nothing for brd. Brd made out like a bandit last update, so I am cool with it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nothing from the new WoE really looks that good for Monk or Pld as far as I can tell. Windbuffet+1 maybe but 2 acc doesn't really seem worth the effort considering that I'm hearing people say that melee are getting stomped in the ilvl walks.

Also, if I read things right Incursion can drop JSE capes with augments? I know I've seen pics of augmented JSE capes today but I was confused and thought people were getting them from the new WoE stuff.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Condiv posted:

Nothing from the new WoE really looks that good for Monk or Pld as far as I can tell. Windbuffet+1 maybe but 2 acc doesn't really seem worth the effort considering that I'm hearing people say that melee are getting stomped in the ilvl walks.

Also, if I read things right Incursion can drop JSE capes with augments? I know I've seen pics of augmented JSE capes today but I was confused and thought people were getting them from the new WoE stuff.

There's two good general drops in incursion, the JSE capes with a Ton of augments on them, and a new cape with 20-50% capacity points bonuses.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Thinking about looking around during the free week, can anyone chime in on a couple of points?

-I quit back around August 2012, so long before RoE and Sparks became things, and I don't have a R/M/E weapon of any kind. There's a giant list of things I can redeem the free Mog Pell I'll get from logging in for, Eminent Weapons are the item-level Sparks weapons, right? Is there anything on that list that's a better grab for a guy sitting at level 95 with no iLevel gear on any job? In the same vein, is there anything on that list I can have a mule grab and mail to my main?

-Can the LB10 fight be solo'd with Trust NPCs? I'd love to kill that and cap out some job (I have a few that are close), I always meant to do that and just never got to it before I quit. I think they can go into the battle, I just don't see anything one way or the other on whether it's feasible or not. I assume it'd take multiple tails?

-Login points. I see there'll be a login campaign during the freebie, I think I'd be able to get like 500-600 points in one week, anything on there worth getting? It mostly looks like costume poo poo and crafting kits at the lower levels. Maybe I'll just get my tail items from that.

I basically just want to see if I can hit 99, grab some item level gear, and go solo some of the story missions I never finished.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Jedi425 posted:

Login points. I see there'll be a login campaign during the freebie, I think I'd be able to get like 500-600 points in one week, anything on there worth getting? It mostly looks like costume poo poo and crafting kits at the lower levels. Maybe I'll just get my tail items from that.

500 points would be one of the two Trusts (either Kuyin or Naja). Given that they're limited time and there's no guarantee if/when SE will make them available again (Naja was last available in February, Kuyin's new as of this month), that'd seem to be the best bet.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jedi425 posted:

Thinking about looking around during the free week, can anyone chime in on a couple of points?

-I quit back around August 2012, so long before RoE and Sparks became things, and I don't have a R/M/E weapon of any kind. There's a giant list of things I can redeem the free Mog Pell I'll get from logging in for, Eminent Weapons are the item-level Sparks weapons, right? Is there anything on that list that's a better grab for a guy sitting at level 95 with no iLevel gear on any job? In the same vein, is there anything on that list I can have a mule grab and mail to my main?

-Can the LB10 fight be solo'd with Trust NPCs? I'd love to kill that and cap out some job (I have a few that are close), I always meant to do that and just never got to it before I quit. I think they can go into the battle, I just don't see anything one way or the other on whether it's feasible or not. I assume it'd take multiple tails?

-Login points. I see there'll be a login campaign during the freebie, I think I'd be able to get like 500-600 points in one week, anything on there worth getting? It mostly looks like costume poo poo and crafting kits at the lower levels. Maybe I'll just get my tail items from that.

I basically just want to see if I can hit 99, grab some item level gear, and go solo some of the story missions I never finished.

10 copper vouchers will turn into 10k sparks so you can get a weapon and have 3k left over.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

While I play for the free week, I guess the goon shell is pretty much dead? Where did everyone go? Various endgame shells? Games that aren't old and dead? It's "Getout" now, right? I can't remember if I have the new pearl or not. Guess I'll find out when I log on. If I log on tonight and the update doesn't take 2 hours and can figure out how to navigate the Square Enix account maze and get my free week.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Yeah it's getout. Ive seen plenty of them on Conquest of Paradise.

Anyone know when and how pells are going out? 150k sparks on my combined mules is going to go a LONG way to capping my woefully underleveled poo poo.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yeah it's getout. Ive seen plenty of them on Conquest of Paradise.

Anyone know when and how pells are going out? 150k sparks on my combined mules is going to go a LONG way to capping my woefully underleveled poo poo.

From the page, it sounds like they just pop into your mog box when you log in during the event. Can the vouchers be mailed on the same POL account? I have mules, I'd love to get more free sparks.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If that was possible it would be awesome, that's alot of rems tale pages.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If that was possible it would be awesome, that's alot of rems tale pages.

Well how were you going to use your mules' pells? Are you one of those nuts who levels his mules? :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

Well how were you going to use your mules' pells? Are you one of those nuts who levels his mules? :v:

10 vouchers, convert to sparks, buy skillup tomes for poo poo i dont have capped, delivery box them to my main.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why would you get anything except one of the trusts that assist in combat or magic skill leveling? Unless you already have that trust?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

Why would you get anything except one of the trusts that assist in combat or magic skill leveling? Unless you already have that trust?

There's two pells; red, which people who were subbed in August get at some point soon, and Green, which anyone gets for logging in during the event. I assume Paladine and I are talking about the Green, because there aren't any trust ciphers on the list for Green pells.

Speaking of, that's a great idea with the skill books and I'll probably do that too, though I don't have as many mules.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

There's two pells; red, which people who were subbed in August get at some point soon, and Green, which anyone gets for logging in during the event. I assume Paladine and I are talking about the Green, because there aren't any trust ciphers on the list for Green pells.

Speaking of, that's a great idea with the skill books and I'll probably do that too, though I don't have as many mules.

Yeah you can get like 4 stacks per mule. Sell em, if you need gil, too. ffxiah probably has a good listing of what sells for the most, im guessing blu with the naakul spells now

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I ended up burning every tome I could get because my Dagger is way below cap. :v:

If anyone is on for the next couple hours from the goon shell, Aranith could use a pearl.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

I ended up burning every tome I could get because my Dagger is way below cap. :v:

If anyone is on for the next couple hours from the goon shell, Aranith could use a pearl.

That's a complete waste. If you are 99 and can get to seekers and have two healer trusts you can go afk on snails out front.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Jedi425 posted:

RoE + Gov/FoV + trust npcs = fast exp gain and easy peasy lemony squeezy leveling. You can easily solo your way to 99, if you want to. Or you can get into an abyssea exp party at 30+. The LB10 fight is easy, I would not solo it with trust npcs. I would get a few level 99 people that have sparks gear or better on. They can easily beat that taru. Just get that thing you need to stun him. Login points are very useful, you can use them to buy that week's trust npc and whatever else you think will be useful. Oh, you can also buy the two items needed to make a seasoning stone.

Soloing missions is really easy at level 99 with ilvl117 gear. Getting sparks is also easy. Just pick a zone that you can easily farm with your trust npcs, get as many RoE quests going as possible. Farm till you have enough sparks to buy what you want. Rinse and repeat. Sparks has a lot of stuff that is worth getting. Rings, weapons, armor, skillup gain+ armor, skill up tomes, rem chapter pages, etc.

Good luck, and I hope you can get to 99 and beat all the missions.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

That's a complete waste. If you are 99 and can get to seekers and have two healer trusts you can go afk on snails out front.

Well, I bought sparks gear and stuff, I meant on my mules. Turns out you can mail the sparks armor and weapons too, so I bought the complete THF armor set and then spent the change on Dagger tomes.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Jedi425 posted:

Well, I bought sparks gear and stuff, I meant on my mules. Turns out you can mail the sparks armor and weapons too, so I bought the complete THF armor set and then spent the change on Dagger tomes.

I think the point's more that you'd have been better off buying books for the harder-to-level skills like Parrying, but what's done is done, so...

Speaking of buying things on alts and done things being done, I was waffling earlier on what to spend my Red Mog Pell on the my mule. He's technically not even able to get to Jeuno, much less Adoulin, so my brief thought of buying the wings, getting Skirmish gear, and then mailing that back to my main went out the window. I ended up buying the stack of Wailing Stones +1, since that sells fairly consistently on my server for a decent amount, but was there something else I could have gotten and sent back that would have been better?

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 12, 2014

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I'm kind of interested in FFXI. I was pretty hooked on FFXIV for about 9 months, but eventually burned out due to dumb raid drama. I miss old-style grinder MMOs; how does FFXI hold up for brand new players these days?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I'm kind of interested in FFXI. I was pretty hooked on FFXIV for about 9 months, but eventually burned out due to dumb raid drama. I miss old-style grinder MMOs; how does FFXI hold up for brand new players these days?

FFXI is super unintuitive, complicated and clunky. It doesn't hold your hand at all. There is no minimap telling you where to go or tooltips or tutorials telling you how to do X. You need to have the wiki open at all times so you know what to do. It's super unfriendly to new players.

That said the game is very easy if you know what you're doing and you can solo to 99 pretty fast and blaze through all the old story missions using NPC party members. I just cleared the last few Treasures of Aht Urghan missions over the weekend.

Overall I think I like FFXI better than FFXIV though because it 1) feels more like one of the SNES FF games, 2) has a better story \ world \ lore, 3) I like classic the job system a lot better, 4) it's no longer the horrible kick to the balls it used to be and is very easy at level 99, 5) there is WAY more content as the game is much older and 6) I'm a grumpy old man who hates change. I also think I prefer mindlessly killing mobs over and over to grind over running around doing fetch quests WoW style, too. The combat is also much slower so you can veg out and watch TV while playing.

I think FFXIV is probably a perfectly fine game if you weren't into FFXI back in the day. Maybe I'll like FFXIV after the first expansion comes out.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

FFXI is super unintuitive, complicated and clunky. It doesn't hold your hand at all. There is no minimap telling you where to go or tooltips or tutorials telling you how to do X. You need to have the wiki open at all times so you know what to do. It's super unfriendly to new players.

http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Tutorial_NPC

It's been getting better over the years.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I am doing nyzule isle lv 75 version can I leave at the start of any floor and get credit for those floors or do I have to leave after I beat floor 5,10,15 etc etc?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
You get credit after every floor, but you only get to start on every 5th floor.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Re-subbed for nostalgia and having fun. Any link shell goons hanging around?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

krursk posted:

Re-subbed for nostalgia and having fun. Any link shell goons hanging around?

I think everyone's in other social LS's, there's only really 3-4 people that were in the shell consistently and they don't seem to be much anymore.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
That's a shame. Next question is, anyone keen to have me in their social linkshell? At the moment I'm just trust leveling and missioning as I reach milestones. Having some goons to chat with in game makes it a bit more entertaining.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

krursk posted:

That's a shame. Next question is, anyone keen to have me in their social linkshell? At the moment I'm just trust leveling and missioning as I reach milestones. Having some goons to chat with in game makes it a bit more entertaining.

I'm in the reddit one. It's not that awful for being reddit. We are on Ausura

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just moved to Asura because a friend is on that server and it has a bigger population. I thought about joining the reddit one but they seem really uptight:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

IF YOU SAY ANYTHING THAT HURTS ANYONE'S FEELINGS SLIGHTLY YOU ARE OUT BUSTER

Playing with goons was cool because goons will make fun of people and flagrantly cheat and stuff.

I suppose if nothing else I could join that and only talk about in-game things and never make jokes or casual conversation with anyone. That might be hard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Ya

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just moved to Asura because a friend is on that server and it has a bigger population. I thought about joining the reddit one but they seem really uptight:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

IF YOU SAY ANYTHING THAT HURTS ANYONE'S FEELINGS SLIGHTLY YOU ARE OUT BUSTER

Playing with goons was cool because goons will make fun of people and flagrantly cheat and stuff.

I suppose if nothing else I could join that and only talk about in-game things and never make jokes or casual conversation with anyone. That might be hard.

Ya I don't really talk a lot in the Ls but there's only a few retards it would seem in the Ls and you can just black list them. But other then that it's good to find Abby parties and rem page groups for.

You can also internally laugh when the Ls leader goes on his monthly speeches about how hard it is to keep a SOCIAL LS running. :laffo:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Double linkshell will be a good thing for the goonshell, we can still have our socials while flagrantly cheating in goonshell.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
The only thing I miss since switching to XIV is cheating with goons and making fun of the retarded sperg lords that still populate this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

The only thing I miss since switching to XIV is cheating with goons and making fun of the retarded sperg lords that still populate this game.

Making fun of people like Phagen and Kalief is what I miss the most.