Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

So, how do all you cool Screenshot LP people make those images of character portraits you use to denote who's speaking without using screenshots while transcribing text?

Is it just cropping an image of the character's head and sizing it to fit, then copy/pasting it in every time that character speaks, or is there some program/macro/BBcode/whatever people typically use to do it?

When I did DQV, I cropped off headshots from whatever official artwork I could scrounge up, since the game itself doesn't have portraits to screenshot. Resizing them to be consistent was tricky, and I don't think I did a GREAT job, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, to save your sanity, use Rightload Url AutoReplace because Admiral Curtiss is a goddamn hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Many games have character portraits of at least the important people, or official artwork you can use, or failing that (or in games where the character artwork sucks for portrait purposes, like Final Fantasy V) you may have luck finding in-game images at a place like The Spriter's Resource. 50x50's a good baseline for portrait size, with 75x75 working if the game you're using has finer details. The important thing is to be consistent with these sizes, particularly width-wise, since it'll keep the text nice and aligned.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I'm thinking about starting an LP and going through the guides, but I'm having a problem with VirtualDub. I'm capturing a PC game's 640x480 window, but the VD preview is at the same resolution even with the stretch option turned on.

What am I missing? I've tried overlay and preview modes but neither one stretches properly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mordecai posted:

I'm thinking about starting an LP and going through the guides, but I'm having a problem with VirtualDub. I'm capturing a PC game's 640x480 window, but the VD preview is at the same resolution even with the stretch option turned on.

What am I missing? I've tried overlay and preview modes but neither one stretches properly.

I want to say I fixed this really simply and when I did I was so frustrated by the fix I stopped using VirtualDub. Have you tried double-clicking inside the preview window? Or right clicking and trying to change the aspect ratio that way?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
It wasn't those, but I tried messing around some more, and apparently you have to turn on preview acceleration.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am having some issues with my video capture device. I know that at one point I had it so I could capture footage on my computer and play the PS3 on my television without issue. Now I had to use some other HDMI cable in order to get the PS3 to play nice on the TV and the Componant cables (those multi-colored pronged things) are plugged into the Happauge PVR 2, but now where once it would only show capture footage from the component and never from the HDMI, now I can get it in HD on my TV but none of the Video input options are giving me anything anymore. the PS3 asked me if I wanted to output at 1080p, and I said yes, but now I am wondering if that is responsible? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Of note, trying to capture footage with the HDMI cables has not worked regardless of which cable I use.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
IIRC, most capture cards can't do 1080p. Try switching it down to 1080i or 720p, instead.

And the PS3 uses HDCP to protect the signal on the HDMI cable, so unless you have some way of stripping the copy-protection, you can't record from that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Edward_Tohr posted:

IIRC, most capture cards can't do 1080p. Try switching it down to 1080i or 720p, instead.

And the PS3 uses HDCP to protect the signal on the HDMI cable, so unless you have some way of stripping the copy-protection, you can't record from that.

That didn't seem to do anything. I'm trying to record off the component, which no longer works now that I have the HDMI plugged into the television itself. Before, when I had everything just plugged into the PVR, it did work. Even at a lower resolution, I'm still getting a blank screen (and some audio hissing) on the Arcsoft screen.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Are you sure you set the PS3 to output video over the Component cables rather than the HDMI? It won't do both at the same time.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If your PS3's video output settings are hosed you can hold down the power button for a bit to reset them.

Also Arcsoft Showbiz is discontinued update your PVR's software so that you have Hauppage Capture.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nidoking posted:

Are you sure you set the PS3 to output video over the Component cables rather than the HDMI? It won't do both at the same time.

Well wait, okay...so I can do it so I can have it display on my computer now, but wouldn't that render it so that I can only have it displaying on either my computer or the TV and not both at the same time? I managed to get it to display otherwise, but if I can't have it display and be playable on the TV at the same time, then it's useless to me--and I know it has to be possible because it's done this before.

Mico posted:

If your PS3's video output settings are hosed you can hold down the power button for a bit to reset them.

Also Arcsoft Showbiz is discontinued update your PVR's software so that you have Hauppage Capture.

Oh, well, good to know. I wasn't much a fan of Arcsoft anyway, tended to crash a lot for me.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I think you may be overthinking this. The HDPVR has HDMI passthrough. If you plug your PS3 into the PVR with the Component cables, then plug the PVR into your TV with HDMI you'll be able to play on your TV and also record from the software.

code:
PS3 --> HDPVR --> TV
           ^----> Computer

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mico posted:

I think you may be overthinking this. The HDPVR has HDMI passthrough. If you plug your PS3 into the PVR with the Component cables, then plug the PVR into your TV with HDMI you'll be able to play on your TV and also record from the software.

code:
PS3 --> HDPVR --> TV
           ^----> Computer

Ah. That sounds like what I did before, come to think of it. Of course, I think now the Happauge has somehow destroyed my computer, so I may be putting a kibosh on the whole thing.

I'd plugged in the PVR after a long period of it being in a box, figured out all the right cables, hooked up the USB, spent all day getting it seemingly working fine. I download the drivers and then restart my computer, and Windows can't load for some reason. I unplug the USB, remove CDs from my drive, try again. Manage to get it to boot, but my computer's then really slow. I run an Avast scan and it wants me to reboot my computer, I attempt to do so and now I can't actually boot up Windows normally at all, I have to go into Safe Mode just to post this and maybe see if deleting some of the old Happauge drivers and Arcsoft off my computer does any good. I wasn't having any of these troubles before I started messing with the PVR 2, so I'm inclined to blame it, although it seems bizarre to me that it could have reduced my computer to an inoperable state. :/

And of course, for some reason now I can't do an Avast scan while in Safe Mode so gently caress me right

EDIT EDIT: Holy balls and poo poo, Happauge has killed my computer. I can't even log onto the guest profile account. Selecting one starts the boot up, and then the screen goes black, as if loading, and doesn't come back, even after almost an hour of waiting.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 17, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mico posted:

Do note that, if you still have the first HD PVR, I do not recommend this. The Happauge Capture software has created several half-corrupted recordings for me that would not load in any editing software I tried and had questionable playback behavior in MPC (not seeking properly for example).

Apparently it works much better with the PVR2 so disregard if you have that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, I fixed my computer...for the moment...and I'm stubbornly trying to get this stupid PVR business to work. SO:

I have the PS3 plugged into teh component cables on the PVR. I have an HDMI cable going from the PVR to the TV, to HDMI slot 3. I have the PVR hooked up to my computer via the USB. I have turned my PS3 video output to composite. I can now see the PS3 footage on the capture software on my laptop, and can now no longer see it on my TV. I have checked every input setting and there's no visual.

I'm clearly missing a step. Is there something specific I must do to trigger the HDMI pass through?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Okay, I fixed my computer...for the moment...and I'm stubbornly trying to get this stupid PVR business to work. SO:

I have the PS3 plugged into teh component cables on the PVR. I have an HDMI cable going from the PVR to the TV, to HDMI slot 3. I have the PVR hooked up to my computer via the USB. I have turned my PS3 video output to composite. I can now see the PS3 footage on the capture software on my laptop, and can now no longer see it on my TV. I have checked every input setting and there's no visual.

I'm clearly missing a step. Is there something specific I must do to trigger the HDMI pass through?

It should do it automatically. The HDMI cable my PVR2 came with was broken so I had to use a different one. the PVR should be glowing green too to indicate everything's hooked up right.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've got an incredibly basic question, but I barely know how to use avisynth beyond the absolute basics of Trim and Fadeout. How do I play .mp4 clips? What plugins or summon commands do I need?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 17, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
FFMS2 is the standard way to load .mp4 files. It's somewhat bizarre to use, and I have my own set of functions for it, but I believe the way you want to use it is

code:
FFMpegSource2("myvideo.mp4", atrack=-1, threads=1)

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Here's the avisynth wiki's entry on FFMS2, and here's its user manual that lists all the arguments that each of its functions has.

Though apparently you can jump through hoops to get MP4's sources into your AVS scripts without that particular plugin, according to this question in the FAQ. 'course, they list the plugin as the first choice.

In any case, you may want to double or triple check what version of FFMS2's plugin you end up getting as its new stable versions aren't always backwards compatible. Keep a copy of the old plugins around if you can.

MeGUI comes with FFMS2 installed. Check its installation directory for something like "..\MeGUI\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll" and just LoadPlugin the DLL at the start of your AVS scripts.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 17, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Booya baby! I did it. I got it to work. loving finally, hooray!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm having a lot of issues with playing back my avs files in Media Player Classic (x86). The first few frames load okay, but I do not get any sound and by the second 2 of the file, things have locked up completely and I have to kill the process. This is also apparently affecting encoding somehow, because I tried to do a quick test encode and MeGUI decided to hang on the audio encode at 0%. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be here?

For reference, my script is here, I am attempting to encode in x264 video and FLAC audio in an mkv container, I have also attempted to play back in VirtualDub and gotten the same behavior, Avidemux won't open avs files despite me clicking the de-encoder option in the install, and the comments and speed-up function are there to help make a standard template to use during the LP, so even if they're not used right now they will be at some point soon.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Can you play "E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi" on its own? Because it looks like you should be dealing with that file a couple of seconds into the script, and since your script isn't doing anything overly complicated, presumably something is going wrong reading that file. In fact, a few seconds in, FadeIO should be doing nothing other than passing unmodified frames straight from that AVI file.

If it's just crashing in the audio, you can always try adding KillAudio() to the end of the script and see if that lets it play. It would at least give you a hint about what's going wrong.

But I'd look at that first file and see if it's corrupted or something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I haven't been able to play .avs files in MPC for quite some time. Try loading it in VirtualDub.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

For reference, my script is here, I am attempting to encode in x264 video and FLAC audio in an mkv container, I have also attempted to play back in VirtualDub and gotten the same behavior, Avidemux won't open avs files despite me clicking the de-encoder option in the install, and the comments and speed-up function are there to help make a standard template to use during the LP, so even if they're not used right now they will be at some point soon.

Xenoveritas posted:

Can you play "E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi" on its own? Because it looks like you should be dealing with that file a couple of seconds into the script, and since your script isn't doing anything overly complicated, presumably something is going wrong reading that file. In fact, a few seconds in, FadeIO should be doing nothing other than passing unmodified frames straight from that AVI file.
Plays just fine on its own. All the files in there do, fwiw.

pre:
(Body ++ BodyOuttro ++ AudioDub(Intermission,BlankClip(Intermission)) ++ Body2).KillAudio()
This allows it to be played in VirtualDub (sans sound, of course). MPC refuses to load the file for whatever stupid-rear end reason, but this allows me to at least check my transitions. I will see if a manual AudioDub() works any better. Do you have any suggestions beyond that?

e: Potentially relevant, VirtualDub spits this out upon loading the the raw files.

[!] AVI: Stream 1 (audio) has a non-zero start position of 480 samples (+20
ms). VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero start time and the
stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

It does not stop it from playing the raws appropriately, with no sound desync.

e2: Also potentially relevant, these videos were recorded using Bandicam. Is there a known weirdness with that recorder?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 18, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Coolguye posted:

e: Potentially relevant, VirtualDub spits this out upon loading the the raw files.

[!] AVI: Stream 1 (audio) has a non-zero start position of 480 samples (+20
ms). VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero start time and the
stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

It does not stop it from playing the raws appropriately, with no sound desync.

Excellent! Then you should be able to load the raw video into VirtualDub, choose Export as WAV to make a WAV of the audio, and then AudioDub it over the original video in your script. Not the most elegant solution, but it's a way to make the thing work.

quote:

e2: Also potentially relevant, these videos were recorded using Bandicam. Is there a known weirdness with that recorder?

I know nothing about Bandicam. But you're having problems with it, so there is now? :v: It sounds like something, somewhere, is hitting an infinite loop within the audio processing code. (Because if AviSynth outright crashes, you'll get an error message in VirtualDub.) Your AviSynth script is incredibly simple and for the most part AviSynth just passes raw audio straight through (FadeIO does alter audio during the fade) so I don't have any good idea as to what is causing problems, but - well, clearly something is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

Excellent! Then you should be able to load the raw video into VirtualDub, choose Export as WAV to make a WAV of the audio, and then AudioDub it over the original video in your script. Not the most elegant solution, but it's a way to make the thing work.
I can do this in that yes, I can save the WAV, and yes, I can do the following:

pre:
V = AVISource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi").Trim(53,21530)
A = WavSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.wav")

AudioDub(V,A)
But it still crashes upon attempting to play back, even without the Trim(). I attempted to use SSRC() on it as well - no dice.

e: I see an old note about how AVISynth doesn't much like compressed audio or something. Bandicam does compress its audio with MPEG-1 L2, which is super well supported but is somehow causing problems?

e2: Alright, now this is just loving with me.
pre:
V = FFVideoSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi")
A = FFAudioSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.wav")

AudioDub(V,A).Trim(53,21530)
This works in that I can open the file and press play and it doesn't crash. But pressing play does nothing; as in, it doesn't actually play. I tried loading it up into MeGUI, and MeGUI alerted me that the FPS was zero and it might not be able to proceed. Okay, no problem. Go back and do this:

pre:
V = FFVideoSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi")
A = FFAudioSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.wav")

AudioDub(V,A).Trim(53,21530).ChangeFPS(30)
Because that's what we expected it to be at anyway, 30 FPS. That gives me this lovely thing:

pre:
---------------------------
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
ConvertFPS: New frame rate too small. Must be greater than 0.0000 Increase or use 'zone='
(E:\majesty\Majestyep1-test.avs, line 1)
OK   
Which is a flat out 'wat' at this point. For reference, it also pulled that same error on 31, 32, and 33 FPS in the ChangeFPS argument as well.

e3: loving GOT IT.

pre:
V = AVISource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi").KillAudio()
A = FFAudioSource("E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi")

AudioDub(V,A).Trim(53,21530)
This works as expected. Using the FFVideoSource just creates a one-frame thing with no properties, because Reasons. But attempting to use the audio track on AVISource - which opens the video correctly - crashes everything gracelessly, also because Reasons. This, however, works as intended. loving what the hell, man.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 18, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm sure this has been asked a million times (but not in the last 5 pages or so): I'm playing a Rimworld in a borderless window in Windows 8 (but this problem goes for any game in a borderless window), and any attempt to take a screenshot just results in a picture of my empty desktop rather than the game.

What is the fix for this?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times (but not in the last 5 pages or so): I'm playing a Rimworld in a borderless window in Windows 8 (but this problem goes for any game in a borderless window), and any attempt to take a screenshot just results in a picture of my empty desktop rather than the game.

What is the fix for this?

What are you using to capture screenshots? Print Screen, Irfanview, Fraps, etc...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What are you using to capture screenshots? Print Screen, Irfanview, Fraps, etc...

Tried messing about with both Print Screen and Irfanview. None of the capture options on Ifranview seem to make any difference.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

Tried messing about with both Print Screen and Irfanview. None of the capture options on Ifranview seem to make any difference.

What option are you using for Irfanview? I use #4 (Foreground Window - Client Area) when capturing non-fullscreen and it works fine for me. Granted, I'm not on Windows 8

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Alchenar posted:

Have you tried Steam? I forget if you can make it take lossless screenshots or not, but Steam can take screenshots using F12 when you run a game through it.

I think the Nvidia Experience is also capable of taking screen shots if you have an Nvidia card. And of course you could try FRAPS, I'm pretty sure you can take screenshots with just the free trial version.

Edit: Steam can take lossless screenshots (or at least uncompressed ones, at least in the beta version), and it turns out you can't take screenshots using ShadowPlay. Which makes a certain amount of sense and adds more proof that all ShadowPlay does is take the existing Nvidia Shield streaming software and aim it at the disk.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 21, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Have you tried Steam? I forget if you can make it take lossless screenshots or not, but Steam can take screenshots using F12 when you run a game through it.

I think the Nvidia Experience is also capable of taking screen shots if you have an Nvidia card. And of course you could try FRAPS, I'm pretty sure you can take screenshots with just the free trial version.

Steam worked. Thanks to all.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Stupid Virtualdub question here - What is the option that refreshes the frames when you use the arrow keys to seek out a certain frame? I'm sure I accidentally disabled it when trying to figure something else out, so now when the video is paused, and I try to seek left or right, the video doesn't update, which means my edits then involve a lot of guesswork...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, for anyone who takes Let's Play / audio way too seriously, wants to feel like a real professional, or just has too much disposable income:

Steam currently has MAGIX's Samplitude (a digital audio workstation) for 40% off until the end of the week.
It's a step below their powerhouse software Sequoia, but i've seen Samplitude in a few professional recording and mixing studios.

Why is this even on Steam? Who the gently caress knows. Even more mystifying is that it's part of a sale.
Unless you've also got a band project on the side that can take advantage of all the poo poo this does, you'll probably use less than 3% of this program's capabilities for LPs, but here's your discounted shot at some professional audio software. :v:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

McKilligan posted:

Stupid Virtualdub question here - What is the option that refreshes the frames when you use the arrow keys to seek out a certain frame? I'm sure I accidentally disabled it when trying to figure something else out, so now when the video is paused, and I try to seek left or right, the video doesn't update, which means my edits then involve a lot of guesswork...

You've presumably disabled the Input and Output panes (although I thought that would disable them entirely, even when playing the video). Check under the View menu. The hotkeys are F9 (input) and F10 (output).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Xenoveritas posted:

You've presumably disabled the Input and Output panes (although I thought that would disable them entirely, even when playing the video). Check under the View menu. The hotkeys are F9 (input) and F10 (output).

Thanks! I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to virtualdub/avisynth.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
When I'm using the RightLoadUrlAutoReplace, which directory should the update.txt and urls.txt be in?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

When I'm using the RightLoadUrlAutoReplace, which directory should the update.txt and urls.txt be in?

I just put everything in the same folder, and run RUAR from the commandline.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just threw it all right on my main drive (c:) and went start>run "cmd.exe" from there on Vista.

From there I just enter

RightLoadUrlAutoReplace update.txt urls.txt

and voila

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh thanks, I managed to get it working. Turns out I didn't run the thing from the right folder.