Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It kind of makes me wonder if Steve isn't actually from Night Vale, since he doesn't buy into the need for secrecy and non-acknowledgement of wierdness everyone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

It kind of makes me wonder if Steve isn't actually from Night Vale, since he doesn't buy into the need for secrecy and non-acknowledgement of wierdness everyone else does.

Steve might be like the You from Story About You, who kinda was transplanted there and doesn't know why. I'm really hoping we get another STory About this year, I want to know more about the Vague Yet Menacing Government Agency and what they have to do with the way the town is run

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Evil Mastermind posted:

He did say he was raised the Night Vale way it just didn't stick because of the lines and arrows

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I almost wonder if Steve is being set up as the protagonist of the Night Vale novel coming out next year.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really liked Steve segment because man does he try his best to be helpful, he's just implied to be autistic/schizophrenic/so normal it's weird. Cecil certainly is showing more warts as time goes on, isn't he? It's good to be flawed, especially since he's for the most part the only person we hear from.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

I really liked Steve segment because man does he try his best to be helpful, he's just implied to be autistic/schizophrenic/so normal it's weird.
I don't think it's any of that, he's just weird in a way that doesn't mesh with the rest of the town.

Although it is interesting that only Kevin ever really listened to him...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think it's any of that, he's just weird in a way that doesn't mesh with the rest of the town.

In particular, Steve appears to believe that the things he knows to be true are secrets that only he can fathom. When, in fact, everybody knows where and how the government is conducting "secret" underground missile testing, the City Council announced weeks in advance that they caused the universe-shattering sandstorms, etc. So it's like he's got a divine mission to let people in on the incredible secret of the color of the sky and the sinister conspiracy that extorts money from people who drive too fast.

I (not-so) secretly hope we see Steve and Carlos become friends, much to Cecil's increasing frustration. Mostly because Cecil's frustration is hilarious, but also because the two of them might find some common ground in their unique perspective on the strangeness of Night Vale.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Although it is interesting that only Kevin ever really listened to him...

I'm assuming that's a reference to sandstorm b, where Kevin didn't get really angry at Steve's letter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

senae posted:

I'm assuming that's a reference to sandstorm b, where Kevin didn't get really angry at Steve's letter.

My favorite part about that was that Cecil told Steve he was absolutely right in the most hostile way possible, and Kevin told Steve he was full of poo poo in the nicest way possible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

In particular, Steve appears to believe that the things he knows to be true are secrets that only he can fathom. When, in fact, everybody knows where and how the government is conducting "secret" underground missile testing, the City Council announced weeks in advance that they caused the universe-shattering sandstorms, etc. So it's like he's got a divine mission to let people in on the incredible secret of the color of the sky and the sinister conspiracy that extorts money from people who drive too fast.

Steve sees The Truth, which is presented as a conspiarcy board in the sky, but it's actually the truth, it's the explanations for why things are happening and what's really going on, but nobody in town believes him because it's Night Vale and weird poo poo is par for the course

There's a real early hint of this in The Sandstorm when Cecil rages out about Steve trying to explain what was, quite likely, the actual truth (Steve disparages the Vague Yet Menacing etc if I remember right). And it's not so much that Cecil is flawed, it's that Steve and the way he sees the world is anathema to the rest of the town.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
What is this? Like a panel?

http://www.symphonyspace.org/event/8480/Literature/selected-shorts-emwelcome-to-night-vale-em

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Selected Shorts is generally a series in which great actors (or other people) read short stories around a theme; in this case, it looks like stories that inspired WTNV in some way, or which Maxnmona and his cowriter just really like.

There's usually some other talking in between said short stories.

Listen to some examples here: http://www.selectedshorts.org/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This episode has what my be my favorite post-Weather sequence ever. :allears:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Agreed. That was one of the best bits in Night Vale history.

Cecil isn't exactly well, is he?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

AstroZamboni posted:

Agreed. That was one of the best bits in Night Vale history.

Cecil isn't exactly well, is he?

It looks like Cecil's regressing back to the paranoid, conservative jerk who thinks people shouldn't read and are getting their just desserts when they're abducted by the Sheriff's Secret Police.

I really hope Maureen can blink back into the desert and grab Carlos. :ohdear:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I feel like it's gonna be a long time before Carlos comes back. That's alright with me; I like crazy, pining Cecil. Also seconding that the post-weather part was fantastic, especially given how sinister-ly the carnival was introduced.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I'm choosing to believe that Cecil referring to the clowns as "nightmares" was a Beyond Belief shoutout.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

I feel like it's gonna be a long time before Carlos comes back. That's alright with me; I like crazy, pining Cecil. Also seconding that the post-weather part was fantastic, especially given how sinister-ly the carnival was introduced.

I've heard that he's still in the desert for at least one of the unreleased live shows.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I've heard that he's still in the desert for at least one of the unreleased live shows.

I have a feeling he's never going to get out of the desert. He won't let himself leave as long as there's something new for him to try and figure out.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have a feeling he's never going to get out of the desert. He won't let himself leave as long as there's something new for him to try and figure out.
I think he'll have to come to the realization that Cecil is more important than science, and choose him. In Condos it sort of hints at that, but Cecil chose for him by carrying him out of the condo. But, yeah, it's gonna be a while, and I'm okay with that.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Action Yak Police posted:

I think he'll have to come to the realization that Cecil is more important than science, and choose him. In Condos it sort of hints at that, but Cecil chose for him by carrying him out of the condo. But, yeah, it's gonna be a while, and I'm okay with that.

I would put money on this being the case.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Action Yak Police posted:

See, my thinking was that the realization wouldn't come anytime soon, and that this was going to be what makes it all come apart.

It'd be fun to listen to that depressive episode.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Modesto shout-out! :dance: I grew up around there!

I'm honestly not surprised the carnival workers confused Night Vale for Modesto; they're both full of strange creepy people in the middle of a desert. There's even a rich person's mansion pretty much right next to the library. I could even see them confusing the Whispering Forest for Modesto's orchards. Although, since it's bigger and slightly wealthier than any of the towns near it, I would have pegged it more as Desert Bluffs, personally.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Wait, you're saying I have to wait for a new episode now? How could this happen? I had so many to listen to...

How do you manage?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rose Spirit posted:

Modesto shout-out! :dance: I grew up around there!

I'm honestly not surprised the carnival workers confused Night Vale for Modesto; they're both full of strange creepy people in the middle of a desert. There's even a rich person's mansion pretty much right next to the library. I could even see them confusing the Whispering Forest for Modesto's orchards. Although, since it's bigger and slightly wealthier than any of the towns near it, I would have pegged it more as Desert Bluffs, personally.

I didn't notice it, did it mention something about tweakers stealing credit cards?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Diet Poison posted:

If any fans die before Carlos comes back... you know what? if any fans die EVER during the show's run, they should be included at least as brief mentions. That way, the Night Valve fandom would be like Broodhollow: don't die there.

If Carlos ever does come back, there should be an official message at the end of the episode stating that everyone who thought he was never going to come back is not a fan of Night Vale. Not 'not a true fan', but actually not a fan. They may listen religiously, they may produce fanart, they may allow it to influence their dreams, but they are not fans. Although they do not and may never know it, they, by default, truly and deeply hate it, like a communion wafer becoming the flesh of Christ while still being entirely wafery.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 20, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BiggerJ posted:

if any fans die EVER during the show's run

Well the show has been running for over two years and there are thousands of fans so statistically speaking.. :smith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I died several months ago, actually. I'm now a spooky ghost, doomed to haunt these forums forever. I loving hate you guys.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Antitonic posted:

Wait, you're saying I have to wait for a new episode now? How could this happen? I had so many to listen to...

How do you manage?

I manage by remembering that time is not real, and also by listening to other podcasts.

On the note of other podcasts, the Night Vale/Thrilling Adventure hour crossover will be released October 1.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I didn't notice it, did it mention something about tweakers stealing credit cards?

Post-weather:

quote:

Witnesses heard the carnival perpetrators shouting things like, “run!” and “get out of here!” as they made their way to their trucks. Shouts of “what the hell is this town?” and “where the hell are we?” and “this is definitely not Modesto!” and “I think they’re gonna kill us, Stacey! Run!” were the verbal white flags signaling our triumph as a town...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
How many unreleased live shows are there besides the crossover? I only know of The Librarian.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

There's also The Debate and Condos! Both are on the WTNV Bandcamp site.

Fake edit to say nevermind misread your post!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I wonder if the carnival can be reconciled with the theory that Modesto, and the rest of the world outside of the Night Vale/Desert Bluffs area, no longer exist.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Modesto barely even exists in real life. Believe me, I've been there, and there's nothing there.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder if the carnival can be reconciled with the theory that Modesto, and the rest of the world outside of the Night Vale/Desert Bluffs area, no longer exist.

I don't see how "beings from a world that no longer exists showing up in Nightvale" is something that would even need reconciliation.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't see how "beings from a world that no longer exists showing up in Nightvale" is something that would even need reconciliation.

When you phrase it like that it makes perfect sense in the context of the theory; the epitome of 'well when you put it like THAT'. There are no continuity errors in Night Vale, there is only more weird poo poo. Problem is, this means that no theory can ever be disproved.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My tickets for the Birmingham show arrived.
Really looking forward to seeing you guys live.

Any other goons going to the Brum fancy getting a drink on the night?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nightvale got a nice shoutout for inclusion and a general positive review in The Advocate today, hopefully that'll boost the fanbase even more.

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2014/09/29/welcome-night-vale-where-queer-normal-and-normal-bizarre

Congrats guys, y'all deserve all the praise.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
^^ Cecil's Facebook post about that is really touching.

"When I was a teenager and first understanding my own sexuality, I would incessantly read the Advocate magazine in bookstores to understand how I fit into the larger LGBT culture... and now, years later, I am featured in the Advocate (along with the wonderful Dylan Marron and brilliant Jeffrey Cranor) as a maker of current LGBT culture. Amazing."

In completely unrelated news, I'm connecting probably unrelated events in the podcast again.

I think the Smiling God's influence is the reason why Carlos is so cheerful and obsessed with work. It might also be why Alicia is looking into starting a sand-based economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dragon_pamcake posted:

^^ Cecil's Facebook post about that is really touching.

"When I was a teenager and first understanding my own sexuality, I would incessantly read the Advocate magazine in bookstores to understand how I fit into the larger LGBT culture... and now, years later, I am featured in the Advocate (along with the wonderful Dylan Marron and brilliant Jeffrey Cranor) as a maker of current LGBT culture. Amazing."

The biggest :unsmith: