Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I've been DMing for a pair of players who haven't played since 3rd (I DMed for 4e a few years ago), and even they are commenting about how swingy poo poo is.

We had a jaunt through some spider-infested mines, and I would have had to shave off a few spiders from the last two (properly-budgeted per rules) encounters if they hadn't just burned everything down, because one giant spider (CR1) could have and did drop one of my players in one hit. A single attack hits for 1d8+3 plus 2d8 poison if they fail the save, or half on success. That's (not exactly, I know) 2d8+3 minimum, and 3d8+3 on a full hit. A loving crit would have triggered massive damage and killed the fighter instantly instead of just knocking her out.

I've decided to make the monster crits knock targets prone instead like someone earlier suggested, and will be vetting every loving monster now, but it's disheartening. Both my rusty players and myself are enjoying the easily-grasped rules, but it's pretty lovely I'm already using houserules as duct tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's important that we make the low levels as swingy as possible so people can boast about how lethal the system is and then start at level 5.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
How are fighters NOT better at using weapons than other characters? They get the most extra attacks and action surges. No matter what weapon they are using. They can pick it up and make more attacks and then make even more a few times a day. They get more feats and stat point increases than anyone else, which also makes them better at using a random weapon, generally. I mean, if you choose polearm master, it's your choice to specialize. You could have just increased strength again or taken Great Weapon Master or something far more general. And even if you took it and don't happen to have a polearm available for whatever reason you are still plenty effective-- you still have action surge and your superiority dice to gently caress stuff up with.

If you're dismissing Fighting Styles as "just" a +1 AC or +2 to hit, I think you're missing how things scale in 5e. Outside of proficiency bonuses and stat bonuses (and, potentially magic weapons), where else are you getting a bonus to hit from in 5e? For the first 10 levels, that +2 to hit is very helpful. Going from a +5 to +7 to hit against a hobgoblin takes you from 40% chance to hit to 50%-- a 25% increase in expected damage. Similarly, going from 20 AC to 21 AC takes a Hell Hound from a 30% chance to hit to a 25% chance to hit-- about an 17% expected damage reduction. Later on these bonuses won't be as big relatively, but can still be very helpful.

One more thing that I see a lot and really don't agree with: the whole fighters are basically picking the best weapon or they've made a worse decision. That's only true if you only consider *mean* values in a vacuum. Mean doesn't give you the best idea of what's actually going on. Say you're fighting a monster with 17 HP and you have a +7 to damage. Would you rather have a great axe or a maul? Personally, I think the great axe comes out ahead in that situation. The great axe has a 1/4 (3/12) chance of doing enough damage to finish the monster off in the first hit, and only a 1/144 (rolling 1 on a d12 twice in a row) chance of not finishing it off in two. The maul has a 1/6 (6/36) chance to finish the enemy in a single hit, though no chance of not finishing it in 2. Looking at the whole probability distribution adds a lot to the picture, rather than deciding everything off some mean DPS happening in a vacuum. I'm not saying that this makes great axes better or anything of the sort. I just think a lot of options are being outright dismissed based on small differences in statistics that really don't capture what will happen in actual play. Stats are only as helpful as their model, and DPS in a vacuum isn't a very good model of D&D in my experience.

On the "Champions suck" argument: The increased crit range also increases your chance of getting a bonus attack with great weapon master, which is nice if you're looking to use a maul/greataxe/greatsword. Also, as previously mentioned, there are very few opportunities for the extra fighting style to get a flat numerical bonus, so I think that feature is frequently underrated. That said, I probably still wouldn't play one.

alarumklok posted:

I've been DMing for a pair of players who haven't played since 3rd (I DMed for 4e a few years ago), and even they are commenting about how swingy poo poo is.

We had a jaunt through some spider-infested mines, and I would have had to shave off a few spiders from the last two (properly-budgeted per rules) encounters if they hadn't just burned everything down, because one giant spider (CR1) could have and did drop one of my players in one hit. A single attack hits for 1d8+3 plus 2d8 poison if they fail the save, or half on success. That's (not exactly, I know) 2d8+3 minimum, and 3d8+3 on a full hit. A loving crit would have triggered massive damage and killed the fighter instantly instead of just knocking her out.

I've decided to make the monster crits knock targets prone instead like someone earlier suggested, and will be vetting every loving monster now, but it's disheartening. Both my rusty players and myself are enjoying the easily-grasped rules, but it's pretty lovely I'm already using houserules as duct tape.

I've never understood why level 1 doesn't include several hit dice for a PC to prevent this BS. I was really hoping 5e would have moved away from the whole 1HD per level thing. I think systems that start with more HP and have a much slower increase feel way more even. I guess I'm basically saying:

Gort posted:

It's important that we make the low levels as swingy as possible so people can boast about how lethal the system is and then start at level 5.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It looks like my group is going to be switching over to 5e after this week's game. What would be the best place to start learning the changes to the system for someone who's played 3.x(and Pathfinder), but not 4e?

I have a copy of the PHB, and since the DMG isn't out yet I get the feeling we're going to be fighting a lot of humans for the first few weeks.

Other than Fighter(which I see from the last few pages still sucks?) are there any other obviously terrible classes? I've only read the sections on Paladins so far, because that's what I think I'm playing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It looks like my group is going to be switching over to 5e after this week's game. What would be the best place to start learning the changes to the system for someone who's played 3.x(and Pathfinder), but not 4e?

I have a copy of the PHB, and since the DMG isn't out yet I get the feeling we're going to be fighting a lot of humans for the first few weeks.

Other than Fighter(which I see from the last few pages still sucks?) are there any other obviously terrible classes? I've only read the sections on Paladins so far, because that's what I think I'm playing.

Use this for monsters. http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMDnDBasicRules_v0.1_PrinterFriendly.pdf

Most of the class balance is okay at first level (though poo poo like the horrible healing rules and the wizard possibly ending encounters with a single spell seem like they'd be constants the entire game) so I'd just play what you want to play (except someone basically must be a healer) but be aware that it will fall apart horribly once you've a few levels under your belt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tactical Bonnet posted:

They don't suck and will be useful. People are just over blowing it because they are not as good as the Wizard, but they are useful.

Also you should not worry about fighting humans. There are a lot of monsters that have been released in the basic rules online. So you will have a pretty wide selection to fight.

Paladins appear to be the single target damage kings of the game according to some people. So that is a pretty good choice of class.

In other news the DMG has been delayed so they can make it higher quality http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dmg-release-date

For those of you that don't care about this it came with this rather cool pic from the DMG of the Modron march.

Gort posted:

but be aware that it will fall apart horribly once you've a few levels under your belt.
Shockingly this has not really happened from reports I have read online. You are also overestimating how useful the Wizard is at low levels.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 15, 2014

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
if they're currently the single target damage kings then I'm probably going to get mocked relentlessly for my next question: How viable is an actual 'tank' build in 5e? Is there any sort of mechanic for trying to prevent monsters from just going to hit someone else?

I'm planning on playing up the whole "defender of the people," angle and focusing on support and defense.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Gort posted:

Use this for monsters. http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMDnDBasicRules_v0.1_PrinterFriendly.pdf

Most of the class balance is okay at first level (though poo poo like the horrible healing rules and the wizard possibly ending encounters with a single spell seem like they'd be constants the entire game) so I'd just play what you want to play (except someone basically must be a healer) but be aware that it will fall apart horribly once you've a few levels under your belt.

This like 100% opposite of my experience. We're playing at 6th level and things are still good. This is by far the least overpowered I've ever felt as a spellcaster. Fireballs are great against hordes and only marginally effective against a few big enemies given how few I can sling. My control spells are resisted about half the time and I can only have one going at any given point, so they're helpful but not encounter ending. The rogue is flitting around combat pumping out sneak attacks and being awesome in and out of combat. The ranger is probably our MVP overall due to spells like Pass Without Trace (+10 stealth whole party) and his wilderness skills and consistent damage output in combat. Our barbarian is smashing and tanking like a boss, too.

Our "healer" is a bard we hired to travel with us, and he gets the job done plenty well even only being level 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tactical Bonnet posted:

if they're currently the single target damage kings then I'm probably going to get mocked relentlessly for my next question: How viable is an actual 'tank' build in 5e? Is there any sort of mechanic for trying to prevent monsters from just going to hit someone else?

I'm planning on playing up the whole "defender of the people," angle and focusing on support and defense.

There are some feats for it. But I have not tried to built a tank in the game so I would not know.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Does anyone have a release schedule for the rest of the year?

I'm trying to work out a time scale to get Noskelhome finished by, and seeing what (if anything) I need to cut.

I've not really been working on it, due to having other things I needed to do, but I'm 2 cities done and have begun work on the monster list.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I know the DMG is coming out in November and the MM is coming out before that.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I know the DMG is coming out in November and the MM is coming out before that.

The Dungeon Master's Guide has been pushed back to December 9th for official release. Monster Manual is still September 19th for early release, and the 30th for normal retail.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
MM should be out at the end of the month. DMG before the end of the year but no firm date.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Nothing like in 4e, but both fighter and paladin can pick a fighting style that, if you have a shield out, you can impose disadvantage on an attack against an ally standing 5 ft from you. It uses your reaction though so it only works for a single attack per round.

Other than that it's body blocking and OA.

You can take the MOBA approach of tanking which is two pronged: 1) be hard to kill, 2) be aggressive and in your face to the enemy, so that if they aren't containing you and forcing you to act defensively, you are instead dishing out disarms, trips and other status effects that your teammates can exploit. Basically an antagonistic pain in the rear end that is dangerous to ignore, aka. the best and only way to play fighter :colbert:

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 15, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bhaal posted:

MM should be out at the end of the month. DMG before the end of the year but no firm date.

I just linked the new date. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Cool, thanks. I was looking to beat one of the setting/event backs to the punch, so I'll be looking to get done before rise of tiamat hit shelves.

I guess I'd best start planning/commissioning my art.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Bhaal posted:

Nothing like in 4e, but both fighter and paladin can pick a fighting style that, if you have a shield out, you can impose disadvantage on an attack against an ally standing 5 ft from you. It uses your reaction though so it only works for a single attack per round.

Other than that it's body blocking and OA.

OAs also take your Reaction, so you can only get one/round and it's a chance to use either that or the shield fighting style, not both. Tank fighters really, really aren't a thing in 5e.

quote:

In other news the DMG has been delayed so they can make it higher quality http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...mg-release-date

I hope they can squeeze in another 24 pages of CR0 critters like they did in the Monster Manual.

quote:

On the "Champions suck" argument: The increased crit range also increases your chance of getting a bonus attack with great weapon master, which is nice if you're looking to use a maul/greataxe/greatsword. Also, as previously mentioned, there are very few opportunities for the extra fighting style to get a flat numerical bonus, so I think that feature is frequently underrated. That said, I probably still wouldn't play one.

Champions really do suck on a mathematical basis, though; go ahead and scroll up for some math. Battlemasters are far and away more damage even if you don't recharge your superiority dice at all over the day, and unlike Champions they can choose when to apply that bonus damage.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Play a Battle Master Fighter, it starts at 3rd level, take Goading Attack which gives Disadvantage on attacks directed toward anyone but you. Grab the Sentinel feat. That or use a polearm and take Polearm Master.

That or play a Paladin and use Compelled Duel for the spell version of an MMO taunt. The Paladin in general is probably a better choice if you want to be an actual tank. Lots of class features toward resisting/immunity to annoying status effects, spells to aid you in tanking, Smite to bolster your damage regardless of weapon choice, self-healing in the form of Cure Wounds and Lay On Hands and again, Compelled Duel. If you want to shore it up further take Martial Initiate or multiclass to Fighter 3 and go Battle Master to use Goading Attack, Rally, and so on.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 15, 2014

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

RPZip posted:

Champions really do suck on a mathematical basis, though; go ahead and scroll up for some math. Battlemasters are far and away more damage even if you don't recharge your superiority dice at all over the day, and unlike Champions they can choose when to apply that bonus damage.

That math didn't include potentials for bonus attacks from Great Weapon Fighter via critical hit, as far as I can tell. It's not enough to swing things in the Champions favor or anything, but it's a nice synergy. That's a 73% chance of getting a bonus attack when Action Surging at 20, which is nice for a greataxe build. In the past few editions there have been quite a few ways to get riders that go along with critical hits, which also may do quite a bit to make Champion more appealing as time goes on. But like I said, it's still unappealing compared to Battle Master for me.

Just a thought, but if Remarkable Athlete were to give you full proficiency with all Str, Dex, and Con related checks and Survivor were been available earlier, I'd actually consider Champion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RPZip posted:

OAs also take your Reaction, so you can only get one/round and it's a chance to use either that or the shield fighting style, not both. Tank fighters really, really aren't a thing in 5e.

I hope they can squeeze in another 24 pages of CR0 critters like they did in the Monster Manual.

There was 25 pages of misc creatures. Stuff like Blink Dogs were included there so there was not that many C0 creatures and some of the beasts there are not bad for the game.

Also we got the Salamander.

HQ art

No matter what you say about the stat block you must admit the art is quite awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mastershakeman posted:

How does a fighter in 4e get better version of his weapon through the campaign? If a fighter's choice of weapon is something insanely rare, like say, a 2 handed flail, is the DM expected to have the party find magic 2 handed flails of various enchantment power throughout the campaign? 2e/3e/5e seem to be saying no gently caress you, find another weapon to specialize in.

I houseruled a ritual that let you destroy a weapon/armor to transfer its enchantments onto another one, assuming everything was legal (no putting axe-only enchantments on a mace). It was intended to support rare weapon choice as well as people who wanted to have a family heirloom sword or something that they kept using.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I remember I took up a challenge by one of these people who argued that 4E had less options than 3E. He argued that every Warlock played the same, so I said, "Alright. How about a gentleman's bet? Choose a race and a Pact for the Warlock, and I will make no less than 4 completely different Level 1 characters who will all run differently from each other. In fact, to make this even more of a challenge, I will use no multiclass options and pull only from the PHB"

Was it on GITP? I think I remember that. The edition war got very hot and heavy over there (I am not claiming to have been immune to it).

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I houseruled a ritual that let you destroy a weapon/armor to transfer its enchantments onto another one, assuming everything was legal (no putting axe-only enchantments on a mace). It was intended to support rare weapon choice as well as people who wanted to have a family heirloom sword or something that they kept using.

No need to houserule, Transfer Enchantment does exactly that. I forget which book it was in though, it wasn't the first PHB.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Masiakasaurus posted:

No need to houserule, Transfer Enchantment does exactly that. I forget which book it was in though, it wasn't the first PHB.

It was Adventurer's Vault

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kai Tave posted:

So you understood what I meant then ("that poo poo" contextually referring to Damage Resistance from normal, non-magical weaponry).

You were talking about different types of mundane damage--bludgeoning, piercing, slashing--not resistance to mundane damage. Bludgeoning is mechanically the same as lightning or whatever, just a damage type.

The problem with B,P,S is that it makes martials worry about a caster-style problem on top of all their other problems

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

PeterWeller posted:

You were talking about different types of mundane damage--bludgeoning, piercing, slashing--not resistance to mundane damage. Bludgeoning is mechanically the same as lightning or whatever, just a damage type.

The problem with B,P,S is that it makes martials worry about a caster-style problem on top of all their other problems

The problem is that there's only immunities to BPS, never bonuses. Fighters are never rewarded. They're only "not punished."

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem is that there's only immunities to BPS, never bonuses. Fighters are never rewarded. They're only "not punished."
Just wait until they release the Balloon Golem, Piñatafish, and the Twinedaemon.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeoning damage because skeletons support fighters both inside and out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rock lobster, paper tiger, and scissors lizard.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wasn't the that one big ruptured zombies thing? I think it was in a later 3.5 mm and the first 4E one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's a further problem (if true). But fundamentally, the problem is that it takes an interesting complication that's part of the spellcaster resource management game and makes it a chore for martial characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Rakashasa straight up has vulnerabilities to Piercing damage from Magic weapons used by good characters. The skeleton was already mentioned. So you are wrong here already. These may only be two monsters but I am decently sure that a few more of them have similar stuff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I would be rather pleasantly surprised if it's widespread! One of 4e's problems in the later stuff was how strong elemental damage was so that almost everyone - or at least all strikers - wanted an elemental weapon. Moving vul. to weapontype would help ease that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Rakashasa straight up has vulnerabilities to Piercing damage from Magic weapons used by good characters. The skeleton was already mentioned. So you are wrong here already. These may only be two monsters but I am decently sure that a few more of them have similar stuff.

The superiority of skeletons over fighters has been well established.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

The superiority of skeletons over fighters has been well established.

Your party of a skeleton fighter,a skeleton cleric, a skeleton rogue, and a skeleton wizard awaken in the depths of their ancient fortress tomb.

Marauders have invaded, intent on plundering your relics and treasures for themselves.

What do you do?

branar
Jun 28, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is accurate, but let's be real: there are way more monsters that require magical weapons to damage than there are monsters that have vulnerabilities. (insert metaphor about melee being thrown a couple of bones while casters get an entire skeleton army or something)

Beyond that, plenty of monsters appear to have powers that amount to little more than "make bad things happen to people who try to engage in melee." Besides the Stone Golem, the salamander you posted earlier on the page is a good example - 2d6/7 fire damage for hitting a salamander while you're within 5 feet.

This is one of the core gripes I have with 5E so far. I have yet to really see any mechanics from monsters that make playing a martial character feel interesting and badass - only mechanics that penalize you for playing one. Wanted to get up in that Rakshasa's face? Congrats, you're burning up your party's third level spell slots by getting cursed from its melee attacks. Want to attack the salamander? Whoops, hope you enjoy killing yourself. Want to go toe-to-toe with that Stone Golem? Sure - hope you didn't care about using that role-defining Extra Attack feature!

I recognize that there are plenty of kobolds and orcs and so on that are melee-neutral. But there are plenty where you think "nobody wants to go toe-to-toe with that" and very few where you think "whew, good thing we brought a couple of competent scrappers".

The absolute best version of that is "whew, good thing we brought a couple of people to stand in front of the wizards." Stand-in-front-of-the-wizards isn't the most exciting of roles, y'know?

Maybe the DMG, with its rules for flanking (that casters generally don't interact with, except when they get flanked) will make being in melee range seem cool and exciting and rewarding, instead of being the poo poo job that somebody's got to do so that the monsters don't get at your squishy casters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grimpond posted:

Your party of a skeleton fighter,a skeleton cleric, a skeleton rogue, and a skeleton wizard awaken in the depths of their ancient fortress tomb.

Marauders have invaded, intent on plundering your relics and treasures for themselves.

What do you do?

You joke, but I would play a Tomb Kings RPG in an instant.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

forgot to include the picture

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Grimpond posted:

What do you do?

Why, that should be obvious!

Liberate the skeletons that are imprisoned inside the meat things, of course!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grimpond posted:

forgot to include the picture

"HNYEH I ATTACK THE DARKNESS GUYS"

"jesus Todd give it a loving rest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

branar posted:

This is accurate, but let's be real: there are way more monsters that require magical weapons to damage than there are monsters that have vulnerabilities. (insert metaphor about melee being thrown a couple of bones while casters get an entire skeleton army or something)

Beyond that, plenty of monsters appear to have powers that amount to little more than "make bad things happen to people who try to engage in melee." Besides the Stone Golem, the salamander you posted earlier on the page is a good example - 2d6/7 fire damage for hitting a salamander while you're within 5 feet.

This is one of the core gripes I have with 5E so far. I have yet to really see any mechanics from monsters that make playing a martial character feel interesting and badass - only mechanics that penalize you for playing one. Wanted to get up in that Rakshasa's face? Congrats, you're burning up your party's third level spell slots by getting cursed from its melee attacks. Want to attack the salamander? Whoops, hope you enjoy killing yourself. Want to go toe-to-toe with that Stone Golem? Sure - hope you didn't care about using that role-defining Extra Attack feature!

I recognize that there are plenty of kobolds and orcs and so on that are melee-neutral. But there are plenty where you think "nobody wants to go toe-to-toe with that" and very few where you think "whew, good thing we brought a couple of competent scrappers".

The absolute best version of that is "whew, good thing we brought a couple of people to stand in front of the wizards." Stand-in-front-of-the-wizards isn't the most exciting of roles, y'know?

Maybe the DMG, with its rules for flanking (that casters generally don't interact with, except when they get flanked) will make being in melee range seem cool and exciting and rewarding, instead of being the poo poo job that somebody's got to do so that the monsters don't get at your squishy casters.

This is something I've vaguely been trying to point out - all the details of combat are all based on "you are trying to melee this monster, so it punishes you for meleeing it." It assumes ALL COMBAT is a fighter hitting a baddie, and the baddie hitting back. Outside of a few edge cases, "magic that doesn't do HP damage" really isn't covered. At best you have Legendry Whatever that allows auto-saves so long as you don't use the spell that bypasses it. But there's no PUNISHMENT.

Like, look at those golems meant to be anti-caster enemies but end up being chump change for them. What if you changed it's whole anti-magic thing to "Any time the golem is effected by a spell in any way, cancel the spell's effects, silence the spellcaster, and deal x damage based on spell level." Now you have a loving anti-magic golem. Or hell, you could even eliminate that first part - if you cast a spell, it works, but you're silenced and take damage. Better hope that spell works. Better hope you didn't clip the golem with a fireball because it was in the middle of all the OTHER guys you're trying to fireball. Suddenly spellcasting has some iota of risk connected.

But no. It - like every other monster out there - only punishes you or engaging in the punchman HPgame. Even archery is somewhat excluded from this, as very few monsters react at all to being shot at compared to the numerous, numerous reactions to being next to a baddie.