Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, if it's an upper control arm (looks like it, but hard to tell due to the ART angled photos) there's not much weight being put through it, that all usually goes through the lower control arm.

Still, one sharp turn at speed and that thing would have sheared right off.

v welp v

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's definitely the lower control arm

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a shoddy loving job no matter what. It's clearly attempted murder and best of all, if it was found relatively quickly there's no way they didn't leave evidence all over the tire, undercarriage, suspension, etc in the form of fingerprints, DNA, hair, and probably fibers from their clothes.

I can think of probably five better ways to sabotage a car that would be difficult to prove were actually sabotage... that isn't one of them.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

the suspension is killing me

How is this not getting any love

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

T-Square posted:

How is this not getting any love

Because we're all :stare: at what is, while incredibly ham-handed, an attempt at cold-blooded murder.

The only revenge I ever considered was raw shrimp down the fresh air intake.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw the pun and was quite amused by it :v:

If someone wanted to kill a person, a paint scraper, few squares of toilet paper, a cotton ball, and a bit of battery acid applied properly to a steel brake line a few days before a rainstorm would be a far less traceable way to do it. People have no imagination. Also, this is why it is probably good I don't want to kill anyone.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

dietcokefiend posted:

Come on guys, dude was just trying to remove his balljoint that was stuck in place. Love to hear the backstory on that one.

Ive seen something similar in our shop once, culprit was a very hosed wheel bearing.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Presented without commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5cRYljuXJc

Also bonus picture of something that isn't supposed to be bent:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I really hate to do this, but I click on this thread to see horrible mechanical failures, not pages and pages of random chat that would probably be better in the chat thread?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booourns posted:

I really hate to do this

Then don't.

Booourns posted:

but I click on this thread to see horrible mechanical failures, not pages and pages of random chat that would probably be better in the chat thread?

I agree, but I wish to expand this to state I want the original thread material to come back

I wanna see bigass poo poo being hosed up :asoiaf:

not

"my car broke." :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSkewGPNqY

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dont be whiny it's not becoming. Is it really that hard to scroll past words? Is it that the buildup of cheeto dust on your scroll wheel makes it harder to use than a normal mouse.

I didnt realize there wasnt a lets chat about post pictures of mechanical failures.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

PainterofCrap posted:

Because we're all :stare: at what is, while incredibly ham-handed, an attempt at cold-blooded murder.

The only revenge I ever considered was raw shrimp down the fresh air intake.

A lobster carcase above the transmission in the gearbox tunnel also works a treat.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easiest to just put some wirecutters to the brakeline?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SEKCobra posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easiest to just put some wirecutters to the brakeline?

You're gonna notice you have no brakes pulling out of your driveway. Those cuts to the control arms will break only at speed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SEKCobra posted:

I think that would be too noticeable, who doesn't use their brake until they're going +30? Maybe a couple holes in the top of the lines so the driver can get a couple stops in before there's a problem, but I think brakes cut are more of a movie thing since they can contrive a reason that the driver wouldn't brake until they're going fast

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I guess that's also true, I guess I'm just subconciously trying not to actually kill anyone, even in hypothetical assassinations.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

EKDS5k posted:

Also bonus picture of something that isn't supposed to be bent:

We used to use these to pick I-beams that were 24 inches tall, 104 lbs per inch, and 75~ ft long for building bridges, and that's not even the worst of it. A bent bar is entirely the operator's fault.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I think that would be too noticeable, who doesn't use their brake until they're going +30? Maybe a couple holes in the top of the lines so the driver can get a couple stops in before there's a problem, but I think brakes cut are more of a movie thing since they can contrive a reason that the driver wouldn't brake until they're going fast

"I was just testing the brakes, eh? They felt a little soft."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Reacon posted:

We used to use these to pick I-beams that were 24 inches tall, 104 lbs per inch, and 75~ ft long for building bridges, and that's not even the worst of it. A bent bar is entirely the operator's fault.

Actually, shouldn't the forklift fall over long before there's damage? Unless you weigh it down.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

SEKCobra posted:

Actually, shouldn't the forklift fall over long before there's damage? Unless you weigh it down.

We used large counterweights in the back, made them do many things they were never meant to. Using cranes in a relatively small yard is far from practical. Only time they broke or contorted was when some asinine jackass came in and treated the machine like it was invincible.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

They probably loaded it to capacity and then went tearing across a bumpy yard. Shocking it over and over could cause it to bend. That or they wrapped a chain around it and tried to pull something.

I complain but the fact is that if everyone who rented our equipment took perfectly good care of it and didn't do anything stupid ever, I'd be out of a job.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

EKDS5k posted:

They probably loaded it to capacity and then went tearing across a bumpy yard. Shocking it over and over could cause it to bend. That or they wrapped a chain around it and tried to pull something.

I complain but the fact is that if everyone who rented our equipment took perfectly good care of it and didn't do anything stupid ever, I'd be out of a job.

Im pretty sure the load limit accounts for bumpy roads tho.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Im pretty sure the load limit accounts for bumpy roads tho.

The load limit accounts for driving slowly over a bumpy road. Picking up 8000lbs and then flying across a construction site goes a little beyond that. Thinking about it a little more, I think it was more likely the chain thing, though.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 12, 2014

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I just watched this happen in real time at the track today (Zmax Dragway)
http://youtu.be/m6R7w2ewnwI

The pro stock guys have been complaining for awhile that NHRA isn't paying enough attention to anything past 1000 ft when prepping the tracks. (Every class out there runs 1320 except Top Fuel and Funny Car which run 1000ft) and the run right before this one the guy in the left lane got side-ways and was able to get it back. After they got the track cleaned up all the drivers stood around on the track trying to decide what to do (they were even looking over at the other two lanes wondering about running over there) when it started raining a little bit and NHRA called the entire race off. This was in the first round, fans are of course pissed. They are going to finish the rest of the pros next weekend at the Dallas race and the Sportsman guys (all the minor classes) will be determined later.
I don't know what the problem is with Pro Stock and Zmax, this isn't the first time I've seen one on it's roof there (http://youtu.be/O7k-Y_OS7oo)
But none of the other classes really have much trouble. I help out a alcohol funny car, we've been coming here for years, the pro-mods were running a half a second quicker than the pro-stocks and they weren't having much trouble either.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
You could just loosen a bleed nipple a bit, any tool marks would be solved by just coating the nipple with a little bit of mud or something.

xzzy posted:

"I was just testing the brakes, eh? They felt a little soft."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At what point are the costs from scrubbing race days going to exceed what a roof would've cost?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Javid posted:

At what point are the costs from scrubbing race days going to exceed what a roof would've cost?

Even for a huge multi day race event like gator nationals I'd imagine theyre lucky to bring in $5 million. (Figuring 100,000 attended and $45 average ticket)

The enclosure would have to be:
provably safe for the drivers and fans
enclose the whole track, return road, etc.
be well lit but not cause a glare or anything.
not cause these extremely loud cars to be so loud they split ear drums

I dont know poo poo about construction but those seem like nontrivial engineering challenges

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think sound and heat would be the biggest challenges to overcome. Expecially if the jet cars are involved, being 50 yards behind those feel like standing right next to a bonfire

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also the exhaust fumes. I guess big fans could help with that though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At the Norwalk Dragway they have a truck with a jet engine mounted to the back and the exhaust directed downwards through what looks like a giant vacuum cleaner nozzle, narrow and flat and about twelve feet wide. It drives up and down the track for a few minutes every time it rains and dries it out. I don't know if that's a common thing but it sure seems to work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's what nascar uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFm6o-qB6T4

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I dont think i've ever seen so much dry chem powder used so badly- Don't they train those fire guys in "How to use a dry chem fire extinguisher"?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
What should they have done?

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Spent the weekend in Reno at the Air Races and came across a display of broken radial engine parts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kerosene19 posted:

Spent the weekend in Reno at the Air Races and came across a display of broken radial engine parts.

Air racing has the best failures.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I always think of that famous air race video (posted here plenty) with the prop failure where the engine goes "VRIP!" after the prop disintegrates.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrSaturn posted:

What should they have done?

They weren't nearly close enough, they were dumping dry chem on sections that were already out, and were trying to fight a flowing fuel fire uphill (hint: go for the source first - the trailing stuff wasn't going to harm anything and would likely burn out by the time the source was extinguished).

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The trailing stuff was still flowing and could have potentially set the infield on fire. Isn't it more important to keep the fire from spreading? Even if you can't put it out, if you can contain it it'll burn out eventually, right? That's just my thought process as a rank amateur.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You only have a few seconds of capability. Kill the source and go from there. If you don't have enough chemical or whatever to put it out, you certainly don't have enough to contain it long enough to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's fuel :stare:

Stolen from Freiburger's facebook page. Apparently it didn't end in a fireball.