Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Wales Grey posted:

from what i saw, jetpacks are just really slow extra height (3-5 ft?) on your jump or the ultimate for one class

e: remember the jetpacks in halo? the jetpacks in destiny are worse.

titan jetpacks actually get a good deal of extra height, but you don't get any real control and it's basically just a super jump

also there are invisible walls loving EVERYWHERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
warlock sucks, titan is boring, hunter makes the game bearable

it still sucks tho

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

matrix ripoff posted:

warlock sucks, titan is boring, hunter makes the game bearable

nah, titan is pretty fun if you go defender because it's just charge everything and poo poo out shield bubbles

quote:

it still sucks tho

yeah, kinda

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

titan jetpacks actually get a good deal of extra height, but you don't get any real control and it's basically just a super jump

also there are invisible walls loving EVERYWHERE

yeah, my buddy was playing as a warlock

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

nah, titan is pretty fun if you go defender because it's just charge everything and poo poo out shield bubbles

jesus i can't loving believe that bungie didn't monetize pvp because for real i'd blow a chunk of change to get the gun that just loving kills everyone

i've got fifty dollars and no good sense here; let me pay to win in a system that obviously begs for such a thing

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
It's fun don't let hype and reviewer salt cloud your eyes

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
instead, let personal experience reveal unto you that the game is in fact not at all worth sixty clams

seriously, shoulda been f2p with major, MAJOR monetization of guns and poo poo

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
They should lower strike boss health and maybe give more loot or crafting.

Def is fun and unique

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

BrettRobb posted:

They should lower strike boss health and maybe give more loot or crafting.

Def is fun and unique

also make rewards for replaying old missions on harder difficulties be worth way more

scouting missions should have some loving variety - vehicle based missions or even gimmick missions

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zen death robot posted:

its not a terrible game but its just really incredibly average and goes out of its way not to take any risks whatsoever

Yeah

but it costed a billion dollas to make

thats a really lovely value proposition

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

and sixty dollars for something average isnt really worth it when you can get one or more above average games for the same price

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haven't finished the moon yet cause one of my roommates is loving slow so were just gonna do all the missions on heroic lv20 difficulty

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

and sixty dollars for something average isnt really worth it when you can get one or more above average games for the same price

500 Million to develop something average isn't really worth it either.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

500 Million to develop something average isn't really worth it either.

It doesn't matter how good it is compared to the cost of development as long as it turns a profit in the long run, and it's been proven games don't need to be above average to turn a profit.

That being said; I kinda doubt destiny was ever going to turn a profit, just because of how much money they dumped into it, even if it was the most amazing game ever created.

Dec 26, 2012

its not just a profit in general that needs to be turned, its a certain level of profit relative to the investment, which in this case was 500 million loving dollars so it would have to have its work cut out for it to make itself worth it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every mediocre to average console shooter on Sony or Xbox is the amazing next big thing that will revolutionize gaming. Every amazing WiiU game is "pretty good I guess but will it save Nintendo"???

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

Every mediocre to average console shooter on Sony or Xbox is the amazing next big thing that will revolutionize gaming. Every amazing WiiU game is "pretty good I guess but will it save Nintendo"???

i may never play a shooter again

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i like the terrible idea that a lovely loving game gets better once you get 2 other retards to waste their time with you

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

supposedly the 500mil number is the 10 year war chest, not the actual budget for destiny 1.

anyway, the more i play destiny the more i like it. it drags early on but as you start gaining levels it really picks up. mars is really fun, and the cabal are really satisfying to fight. at higher levels too better quality loot starts dropping, as in once you get past 15 you rarely see white quality loot from enemies. the moon and earth are pretty dry, they played things super safe in terms of design, strikes definitely needed more testing (some of the boss HP values are just stupid), but i'm having fun in spite of all this.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Durstiny.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

i may never play a shooter again

I thought I liked shooters for a long time but now I'm pretty sure it was just confusion caused by having fun messing around with my friends in Goldeneye in middle school.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Schnedwob posted:

Epic impzone-exclusive content, steaming hot For You

tihs is a really hot take, guys

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

On their own, both destiny and titanfall are at best average

But if you merged them together..................

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It doesn't matter how good it is compared to the cost of development as long as it turns a profit in the long run, and it's been proven games don't need to be above average to turn a profit.

That being said; I kinda doubt destiny was ever going to turn a profit, just because of how much money they dumped into it, even if it was the most amazing game ever created.

they have the heavy lifting done so i'm assuming it's gonna get a ton of sequels that reuse the engine and whatnot

the first day sales alone have been strong enough that you'd have to be p dumb to not immediately start development on more

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Srice posted:

they have the heavy lifting done so i'm assuming it's gonna get a ton of sequels that reuse the engine and whatnot

the first day sales alone have been strong enough that you'd have to be p dumb to not immediately start development on more

P much dis, the game is pretty average (like Halo 1) but now that they have an engine and playerbase they xan focus on making the sequel, you know, fun (like Halo 2 & 3)

Think it goes without saying that you should never preorder, day one purchase, or early access beta test games, though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

you're not getting any of that profit though why should you care

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

you're not getting any of that profit though why should you care

I don't?

I was explaining that the quality:cost ratio is meaningless.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't?

I was explaining that the quality:cost ratio is meaningless.

it kind of does matter if the game is good or not when you pay for it

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

it kind of does matter if the game is good or not when you pay for it

it doesn't matter in regards to whether the company sees it as a success or not, which was being discussed

"$60 isn't worth it for a mediocre at best game" is a completely different statement from "$500m development cost isn't worth it for a mediocre at best game" and I was responding to the second statement

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Since we're on the subject, can another imp maybe talk me out of preordering the evil within. It looks legit scary and I really liked the first two resident evils but this game looks like it plays a lot like the last of us, a game that I thought was bland and didn't enjoy

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Benny D posted:

Since we're on the subject, can another imp maybe talk me out of preordering the evil within. It looks legit scary and I really liked the first two resident evils but this game looks like it plays a lot like the last of us, a game that I thought was bland and didn't enjoy

The Evil Within is going to be awesome.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Why would you want to be talked out of getting a Shinji Mikami game.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Ragg posted:

Why would you want to be talked out of getting a Shinji Mikami game.

Yeah it looks awesome and scary but I really hated playing the last of us and all I could think during the gameplay trailer was how much this played exactly like it, right down to the popup icons for retards on items and doors and the grabbing animation ugh

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Benny D posted:

Yeah it looks awesome and scary but I really hated playing the last of us and all I could think during the gameplay trailer was how much this played exactly like it, right down to the popup icons for retards on items and doors and the grabbing animation ugh

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ragg posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

he thinks it's going to be like last of us due to stylistic choices

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

greatn posted:

Because Nintendo doesn't pay for shiploads of event tickets and merch for games publications, while Sony/MS do. Plus badmouthing ninty won't lose you a readerbase, while shittalking MS/Sony will.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Benny D posted:

Don't preorder games

Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

just wait until it comes out, and then if it looks good, get it

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Benny D posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-evil-within-seems-like-it-forgot-the-horror-in-pure-survival-horror--274783.phtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Don't preorder games

• Locked thread