Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I have a iphone 5 from like a month or two after in came out and still have 7.5 gigs of available space. I have 2 gigs of pictures and .5 gigs of text messages and a couple random apps. 16 gigs is pretty sweet for me, no games/music/podcasts. I bet there are a lot of people out there like me, the 64/128 bump seems like one hell of a deal don't know why people are so upset. I surf the web, text, and listen to pandora and check email for work/personal life, the only things I use my phone for really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

flavor posted:

It's about you. I'm sorry that I'm not sharing your exact opinions on every little thing.

(So since you're emphasizing "consistently", I guess it also wasn't okay to bring up recently that I want more than 16 GB in a Mac Pro, even though I supported that need with data. That must also have been a bad post, for which I apologize.)

If what I'm saying bothers you so much, just ignore my posts. Interestingly, you had already announced a little while ago that you'd do that. So please actually do that now.

:agreed:

Wait, he's right, you suck

In other news, supposedly the iPhone 6 bump is pretty noticeable and Apple is hiding it in ads?

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/09/10/u2-blew/

Sorry that wasn't it, that's a guy taking Apple over the coals for being tone dead about the U2 thing, here's the one complaining about the i6 bump deceptive photos on Apple's store
https://brooksreview.net/2014/09/the-bump/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Don Tacorleone posted:

In other news, supposedly the iPhone 6 bump is pretty noticeable and Apple is hiding it in ads?

So that guy watched the keynote from home and hasn't seen or held the phone in person?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

texaholic posted:

I have a iphone 5 from like a month or two after in came out and still have 7.5 gigs of available space. I have 2 gigs of pictures and .5 gigs of text messages and a couple random apps. 16 gigs is pretty sweet for me, no games/music/podcasts. I bet there are a lot of people out there like me, the 64/128 bump seems like one hell of a deal don't know why people are so upset. I surf the web, text, and listen to pandora and check email for work/personal life, the only things I use my phone for really.

You need to learn that everyone ITT is a power user and thinks that they are the norm with filling their phones with animes and movies to watch at all times because you never know when you need a selection of 25 HD movies to choose from.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

texaholic posted:

I'm the same way, I just delete the apps I tried once and never use again, and use iTunes Match for music, Plex for video, and Dropbox for photo storage.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're all loving idiots for finding a 16GB iPhone useful in any way or something another.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

vyst posted:

You need to learn that everyone ITT is a power user and thinks that they are the norm with filling their phones with animes and movies to watch at all times because you never know when you need a selection of 25 HD movies to choose from.

Your arguments are culturally insensitive. Anyone with asian relatives or friends knows they will fill up a 16 gb phone with pictures alone before they leave the store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I definitely should have considered that when I gave my mother a 16gb 5s last Christmas, that it would have been completely insufficient space for the 1080p grandma brag videos she constantly took of my son.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Storage thing is more annoying when you remember that 8/16/32 was the norm a while ago, which then became 16/32/64, but now its 16/64/128.

My usage has never really left the base level and I have always been comfortable with that amount of storage as I keep my photos reasonably organised and only need a few albums on my phone to keep me interested. I run no games on my phone and only a handful of productivity apps, but with the OS size and the quality of pictures and video on the 4 and now the 5, 16GB started to get snug really quickly.

It was expected and makes more sense to go 32/64/128, but that didnt happen, and people got mad about it.

I mean previously the 'low cost' option was a the previous-generation model with a single storage option that was the lowest amount available across the entire range. You cant blame people for expecting 32GB to become the base these days.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had 4 iPhones over the years and they've all been 16GB models. I've always had to manage my storage in one way or another, and I've never been able to store as much stuff on my phone as I wished I could. But I pre-ordered a 128GB 6, so now I'm planning on putting all my music on my phone and hopefully having to do a lot less storage management.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
I don't really use a ton of storage on my phone, but since you're stuck with whatever size you choose, I'd rather have more than I know what to do with than be constrained.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

To people upset about Apple leaving the base model at 16GB and bumping the +$100 model to 64 GB... This is the same company that restricted iBooks to mirror-only mode when connecting an external display. There was no hardware reason for this, Apple crippled the software on the iBook to make paying more for the PowerBook more appealing. In every product line Apple loves to make it look irresistible to pay a little more to get a lot more benefit. This is why the base model is still 16GB. Remember a few months ago when there were rumors of Apple increasing the price of the iPhone? I think this move is the outcome of that. You basically have to get the 64GB unless you are a poor.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Don Tacorleone posted:

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/09/10/u2-blew/

Sorry that wasn't it, that's a guy taking Apple over the coals for being tone dead about the U2 thing, here's the one complaining about the i6 bump deceptive photos on Apple's store
https://brooksreview.net/2014/09/the-bump/

Album-gate, storage-gate and now :siren:bump-gate:siren:?!

Get it together Apple :rolleye:

I mean I watched the keynote and noticed the camera. How is this A Thing?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

To people upset about Apple leaving the base model at 16GB and bumping the +$100 model to 64 GB... This is the same company that restricted iBooks to mirror-only mode when connecting an external display. There was no hardware reason for this, Apple crippled the software on the iBook to make paying more for the PowerBook more appealing. In every product line Apple loves to make it look irresistible to pay a little more to get a lot more benefit. This is why the base model is still 16GB. Remember a few months ago when there were rumors of Apple increasing the price of the iPhone? I think this move is the outcome of that. You basically have to get the 64GB unless you are a poor.

You must have been so ANGRY 12 years ago when you discovered your shiny white iBook could only mirror its screen.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I mean I watched the keynote and noticed the camera. How is this A Thing?

Wobblegate

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I doubt the bump is so terrible it makes the phone difficult to use or look at. And whoever thinks they're hiding it in promotional materials should look at the iPod touch section of Apple's website. I can't find a single picture of the iPod that isn't head on or hiding the camera altogether.

Looking at the pictures here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/the-price-of-progress-2012-ipod-touch-reviewed/2/ should give an idea of how the camera will affect the look of the phone.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Good god, who gives a flying poo poo? Most people will put their phones in a case and the bump won't even be noticeable. Only the most *ahem* DISCERNING of nerds would not buy a phone because of something like that.

I hate clickbait so much.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Forgot "TV Truck Schedule-gate"

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

MrBond posted:

Is it normal policy to replace out of warranty bulging battery stuff for free or is that just them being cool about it?
It's official. The guy showed me the $0 service listing next to the full $269 replacement option. I don't know if it's limited by serial number.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Turned out I didn't have a bulging battery, he opened up the phone and said some piece of plastic had fallen out of place. He just fixed that, reseated the screen, and sent me on my way. Sounds fair to me.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I wonder if people at Apple had as big of a poo poo-fit over this storage bullshit as posters are ITT.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I mean you have choices.. Do you want:

1) A slightly thicker phone whose sole purpose is to conceal the small lens bulge OR
2) A slightly thinner lens that takes worse photos and videos while maintaining the thinness of the phone

Making the phone thicker doesn't seem like an option in a year where they are enlarging the screens and need the extra 'hand hold feel.' As one benefit, I can have another method of finding which side of the phone is the top when I pick it up in the dark or from a bag.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

1) A slightly thicker phone whose sole purpose is to conceal the small lens bulge OR
2) A slightly thinner lens that takes worse photos and videos while maintaining the thinness of the phone

Making the phone thicker doesn't seem like an option in a year where they are enlarging the screens and need the extra 'hand hold feel.' As one benefit, I can have another method of finding which side of the phone is the top when I pick it up in the dark or from a bag.

So you dont think they would use the extra thickness for an improved battery or more rams?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

So you dont think they would use the extra thickness for an improved battery or more rams?

If they added the extra thickness then they could give it 16 GB of RAM to go with the 16 GB of storage.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I mean what if I don't take photos with my phone? Can I replace the camera lens with RAMs?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

3) a slightly thicker phone with a battery that improves on the 5S, not just compensates for the bigger screen

Oh no, can't do that, my hand hold feel requirements need < 7 mm, not 8 mm!!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 16, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Apple has never not made a thinner phone with a redesign, why would anyone expect them to this time?

If you can squeeze just about a day's worth of use out of your phone then they're not going to worry about battery life.

Personally I can't go 6 loving hours without my iPhone 5 going from full to dead, even after I had my battery replaced but hey I'm always on it and constantly going in and out of service on the subway.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

bobfather posted:

You must have been so ANGRY 12 years ago when you discovered your shiny white iBook could only mirror its screen.

you think I'm some poor ibook owner? you insult me

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think 1mm extra thickness to cover the camera would really increase the battery life in any significant way.

The battery usage stats in iOS 8 were long overdue, and really help you pinpoint what's eating up all your battery. I discovered that Skype was using a lot even with Background App Refresh disabled, and its pretty surprising just how much power the phone uses due to low signal.

In general I find the battery life on my iPhone 5 with iOS 8 to be pretty good.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

3) a slightly thicker phone with a battery that improves on the 5S, not just compensates for the bigger screen

Oh no, can't do that, my hand hold feel requirements need < 7 mm, not 8 mm!!

I get the impression they wanted to make this phone extra thin to compensate for the larger size. Also if the battery estimates are accurate then this is hardly needed. Give me a phone that's still thin after slapping a case on it and I'm down.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's another way to look at the camera bump: it really drives home how drat thin the phone really is. You can quote how many 0.x millimeters thinner a phone is compared to its competitors, but put out a phone so thin that it has to shove some bits that would otherwise be internal to the exterior? Goddrat that's a thin motherfucking phone!

It's worth noting that other phones (Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 1020) also have camera humps. In those cases, it was a design failure (Galaxy Nexus, because Samasung didn't bother redesigning their board to fit components better) or because it's a feature or style choice (the Nokia 1020 has a giant :fuckoff: camera and intentionally made it look like a point -n-shoot to drive home how much their phone was also a good camera).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 16, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

There's another way to look at the camera bump: it really drives home how drat thin the phone really is. You can quote how many 0.x millimeters thinner a phone is compared to its competitors, but put out a phone so thin that it has to shove some bits that would otherwise be internal to the exterior? Goddrat that's a thin motherfucking phone!
I was looking at some Elago cases earlier to see which one I wanted to purchase for my 6 and I was thinking that even with those cases on, that phone still looks ridiculously loving thin :stare:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was looking at some Elago cases earlier to see which one I wanted to purchase for my 6 and I was thinking that even with those cases on, that phone still looks ridiculously loving thin :stare:

Yeah I need a good case. I've always been about the thin, Switcheasy Tones-style cases.

Anyone know of a good one for the SixPlus?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Other phones also have a massive black square/circle bezel around the camera lens for no other discernible reason that "we are lazy fucks at design" so their camera bump is actually a fair bit larger than it needs to be which adds to how obvious they are.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I wonder who came up with the brilliant idea of paying a bunch of dinasaurs a fortune in order to deliver their music to millions of people who don't want their dirty stuff. I'm curious about how they came up with that idea and why no one stopped and said the truth ("this is a loving stupid idea").

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 16, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ijyt posted:

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.

Apple confirmed it the day of the announcement

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Yeah I can't wait for iOS 9 to come out because they'll open up the APIs and claim it to be revolutionary.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apple's version of revolutionary just means incorporating tech that other people have tried to incorporate but have been unsuccessful at making it popular, i.e. NFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Apple's version of revolutionary just means incorporating tech that other people have tried to incorporate but have been unsuccessful at making it popular, i.e. NFC.

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is NFC overnight but it will still take many years to improve retailer adoption...especially small businesses.

Bringing in the masses will help, but it will still take years before NFC payments will be a commonly accepted thing.

Prepare for janky until 2017+... You will see.