Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ookuwagata posted:

Well, it sounds like it's time to go to Ranch 99.

Maybe this question belongs more in the beer thread, but what sort of beer goes well with different Chinese food?

With spicier food I like maltier beers that aren't too dark. Brown ales and ambers are nice. Hoppy things usually are awful with most strong food. Clean lagers are nice cold beverages that will break up some of the fat that's bound to coat your tongue. Some of the more delicate herbal stuff is good with saisons. Generally a decent lager or a brown ale or amber are my go to beers with 'Chinese' food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

There is a Korean food thread!

Kimchi will keep basically forever, especially in a fridge. If it's not moldy and doesn't smell like death it's okay.

But Kimchi always smells like death!

ookuwagata posted:

What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

PiDan ShouRou Zhou

White rice zhou (congee) with diced pork loin, diced pidan, and an assortment of vegetables including green onion, garlic, and often lettuce.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So, steamed tofu, floss, vinegar...

Have we mentioned smoking them? They actually taste pretty good smoked, and dipped in vinegar (as mentioned), think it's a Zhejiang dish.

Or you can use it as a fusion dish and mix that in a salad.

How about deep frying them? They actually taste pretty good when the centre is gooey and the outside crunchy.

Wrap them in dumplings?

Make pate with them?

Stick em inside my steam chicken.

I don't really know, I just made that all up.

Aero737 posted:

PiDan ShouRou Zhou

White rice zhou (congee) with diced pork loin, diced pidan, and an assortment of vegetables including green onion, garlic, and often lettuce.

It's actually the same thing :eng99: The other goon was using Canto.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ookuwagata posted:

Maybe this question belongs more in the beer thread, but what sort of beer goes well with different Chinese food?

Kant is the beer guy. A few things I can think of top of my head:

Tsingtao and super spicy chengdu style hot pot - Kant, that's what we are going to do in Chengdu. GOOOON MEEET HOT POT

Hotpot goes well with any beer, you just sit there for ages and drink away.

Xinjiang lamb kebabs/roasted lamb goes super well with beer.

If it's southern style seafood, I would go for a wheat beer with some fish/crab.

Oh and my recent fav - OAT MEAL STOUT WITH RICE :downsrim: I just don't know why.

quote:

With spicier food I like maltier beers that aren't too dark. Brown ales and ambers are nice. Hoppy things usually are awful with most strong food. Clean lagers are nice cold beverages that will break up some of the fat that's bound to coat your tongue. Some of the more delicate herbal stuff is good with saisons. Generally a decent lager or a brown ale or amber are my go to beers with 'Chinese' food.

Am I a degenerate? I love my bitter melon with IPA. Or if I make soy sauce stew I pour a bit of Duvel into it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ookuwagata posted:

Well, it sounds like it's time to go to Ranch 99.

Be authentic and drink Qingdao, Snow, or Harbin.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I like crisp witbiers to go with Sichuan. I keep mulling around a wit design to pair with my kung pao chicken but it just seems to be a project that never gets off the ground.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
One of the Chinese bakeries I like to go to has a few different types of steamed cakes and I can't figure out what one is. They have ji dan gao as a white cake, and then something that looks exactly like it that's very yellow. What's the difference?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
This weekend I had shengjiangbao, for the first time, from some place in Alhambra. Definitely a game changer for someone who was really never into dim sum. gently caress they were good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shnooks posted:

One of the Chinese bakeries I like to go to has a few different types of steamed cakes and I can't figure out what one is. They have ji dan gao as a white cake, and then something that looks exactly like it that's very yellow. What's the difference?

Probably with more egg yolk? Got a picture?

Gorman Thomas posted:

This weekend I had shengjiangbao, for the first time, from some place in Alhambra. Definitely a game changer for someone who was really never into dim sum. gently caress they were good.

IT'S NOT DIM SUM :argh: :spergin: :argh:

Well I'm glad you like it. Have you tried the steamed variety? Do you find dim sum too sweet or something?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

Probably with more egg yolk? Got a picture?

IT'S NOT DIM SUM :argh: :spergin: :argh:

Well I'm glad you like it. Have you tried the steamed variety? Do you find dim sum too sweet or something?

The cake sounds like a steamed egg cake. It's the color of cornbread, but soft, spongey. Squidgy. Sweet. Not as squidgy nor sweet as bak tong go. My family was not a fan of the steamed egg cake.

If you google "steamed egg cake dim sum", you get a bajillion recipes for it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So this might be a dumb question, but is sesame oil a really strong flavor or did I just buy a weird bottle of it? Even a little splash of it is definitely noticeable, and that was in a dish with dark soy sauce and a bunch of other strong flavors. A lot of recipes are calling for 1-2 tablespoons of it, which seems like it would be pretty overpowering. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I add it into any dishes that call for more of it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So this might be a dumb question, but is sesame oil a really strong flavor or did I just buy a weird bottle of it? Even a little splash of it is definitely noticeable, and that was in a dish with dark soy sauce and a bunch of other strong flavors. A lot of recipes are calling for 1-2 tablespoons of it, which seems like it would be pretty overpowering. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I add it into any dishes that call for more of it.

Yup that's sesame oil. It's super strong. Also burns easily.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

1-2 tablespoons sounds super crazy. Maybe they're using the light sesame oil? Apparently you can get some that's basically like canola or peanut oil. I almost never see a recipe calling for more than a teaspoon or so of the toasted sesame oil as a finishing flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's stuff they sell in white markets that's mostly canola with a little sesame oil and marketed as a sesame oil blend or something. Maybe that's what they mean.

I doubt I've ever used more than a teaspoon at once.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ok cool, just going to tinker with the amounts then until it tastes right. I was looking at stir-fry recipes on Serious Eats and a few of them called for half a teaspoon of it in the marinade and then a full tablespoon in the sauce, which seemed kind of off. I guess it would make more sense if they were using a lighter version of it or something.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What size recipe are we talking about?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

In a restaurant I worked at we almost always cut the pure stuff with canola when it was used as a finishing oil.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
is there a difference between the different brands of MSG? e.g. I can get MSG made in USA from corn. Same as all teh other stuff? I assume its all the same since its literally mono sodium glutamate but thought I'd confirm.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Any recommended cookbooks for Chinese food?

edit: If preferred style of food helps, Hainan and Szechuan.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

EvilElmo posted:

Tigers and Strawberries has some great recipes: http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

is there a difference between the different brands of MSG? e.g. I can get MSG made in USA from corn. Same as all teh other stuff? I assume its all the same since its literally mono sodium glutamate but thought I'd confirm.

It's all the same

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

EvilElmo posted:

Land of Plenty is really good for Sichuan.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

EvilElmo posted:

Any of Fuschia Dunlop's books. Also Carolyn J. Philips' (madamehuang) blog.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Stir fry question: the burner on my stove is super hot (don't know exactly how many BTUs, but I'd say it's much higher than your average household burner), so I decided to buy a wok for stir fries. Anyways, before I combine all the ingredients (I cook them one by one so I don't crowd the pan), I add the sauce, which inevitably ends up burning and sticking to the wok. Should I turn the heat down before adding the sauce?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

xcdude24 posted:

Stir fry question: the burner on my stove is super hot (don't know exactly how many BTUs, but I'd say it's much higher than your average household burner), so I decided to buy a wok for stir fries. Anyways, before I combine all the ingredients (I cook them one by one so I don't crowd the pan), I add the sauce, which inevitably ends up burning and sticking to the wok. Should I turn the heat down before adding the sauce?

Usually you should put everything back in the pan before adding the sauce, no?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xcdude24 posted:

Sauces in stir fry are usually added after all the ingredients are combined and often after the burner is turned off. If it's something that needs to simmer, it should have a lot of liquid in it to avoid exactly what you're talking about.

Unless your explicit like cooking the food in the sauce, sauce is a really a last minute thing in chinese cooking. So yes, turn down or turn off your burner at the end of cooking and then add the sauce.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This is probably a dumb question, but are there any youtube channels with recipes like Cooking with Dog? Minus the dog, I guess. I like how they're easy recipes that can be made quickly, so something like that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shnooks posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but are there any youtube channels with recipes like Cooking with Dog? Minus the dog, I guess. I like how they're easy recipes that can be made quickly, so something like that.
There is wantanmien, but she does tend to go for longer recipes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Never seen this before, anyone know how it's used?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Never seen this before, anyone know how it's used?

I've seen it used as primary or secondary ingredients in recipes and meals. Tuna on a buttered Maitake bed Crab roe sauce etc. I don't know how helpful this info is though. :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

tonberrytoby posted:

There is wantanmien, but she does tend to go for longer recipes.

No that's perfect! Thank you so much!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Found a recipe for stir fried chicken & bok choy with Oyster sauce that calls for "1 heaping teaspoon Guilin chili sauce".

I see that it's made by Lee Kum Kee so I'm sure I can find it in my local Asian grocer, but am wondering what kind of sauce it is - is it a very specific flavor that only this sauce can suffice, or could I use the LKK 'chili bean sauce' I already have, or maybe sambal oelek?

I don't mind picking it up, just don't want to clutter a small pantry with similar items.

EVG fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 8, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do I have to take the casing off of lap cheong? I honestly can't tell with the brand I got.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EVG posted:

Found a recipe for stir fried chicken & bok choy with Oyster sauce that calls for "1 heaping teaspoon Guilin chili sauce".

I see that it's made by Lee Kum Kee so I'm sure I can find it in my local Asian grocer, but am wondering what kind of sauce it is - is it a very specific flavor that only this sauce can suffice, or could I use the LKK 'chili bean sauce' I already have, or maybe sambal oelek?

I don't mind picking it up, just don't want to clutter a small pantry with similar items.

It's basically just chili peppers, garlic, soybeans, salt, sugar and sesame. So any sauce should suffice, especially since it's just a teaspoon. Main difference with the regular chili bean sauce is that that one contains some fermented beans.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Shnooks posted:

Do I have to take the casing off of lap cheong? I honestly can't tell with the brand I got.

I don't. Oh god I hope you aren't meant to. I'd feel as silly as the Chinese tourists I saw in Munich eating the Weisswurst casing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I think the guilin one is just spicier, or so I hear (i think i remember that).

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

d3rt posted:

I don't. Oh god I hope you aren't meant to. I'd feel as silly as the Chinese tourists I saw in Munich eating the Weisswurst casing.

I remember once I had to, but the one I just bought, it's like nearly impossible to pull the casing off. My boyfriend is a butcher who's "specialty" is sausages and he was absolutely no help, saying it looked synthetic and I should pull it off, but I think he was trying to get me to shut up about it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have some preserved vegetable in my pantry that was bought on a whim and I don't really know how to use it. What are some general recommendations for it?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

net work error posted:

I have some preserved vegetable in my pantry that was bought on a whim and I don't really know how to use it. What are some general recommendations for it?

I like mine pan fried with a light fish (usually skate wing, actually). Almost like the way you'd use capers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

net work error posted:

Dan dan noodles are a great intro to using preserved mustard greens.