Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just caved in and got a bass, tell me what songs I should learn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Reading the local band ads, no one wants a bad guitarrist, but everyone wants a bassist. Should I pick one up as well?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, different enough to be fun on its own

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After a few hours of playing my bass, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up a bass if you're a guitarist. Quite a bit of the theory carries over, and it's pretty simple to pick up while being really fun.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Mr E posted:

I just caved in and got a bass, tell me what songs I should learn!

I'm in the camp that every guitarist should have a bass (and vice versa.) Additionally, everyone that is the least bit serious about music theory should have at least a cheapie keyboard with a few octaves worth of keys.

Get ZZ-Top "Tush" CDLC. I only know a couple bass riffs and the very basics carried over from guitar and got a 99.8% first playthrough :smug: that and "Radar Love" (though it's a bit more complicated) by Golden Earring will have you grinning like an idiot.

For a bass grove tune - "How Many More Times" Zepplin CDLC, pretty simple for a JPJ bassline and a lot of the feel is in the swing - it was the only bass song I knew more-or-less all the way through prior to RS, and is great for cutting your teeth on bass.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

YeahWhatevah posted:

I'm in the camp that every guitarist should have a bass (and vice versa.) Additionally, everyone that is the least bit serious about music theory should have at least a cheapie keyboard with a few octaves worth of keys.

Get ZZ-Top "Tush" CDLC. I only know a couple bass riffs and the very basics carried over from guitar and got a 99.8% first playthrough :smug: that and "Radar Love" (though it's a bit more complicated) by Golden Earring will have you grinning like an idiot.

For a bass grove tune - "How Many More Times" Zepplin CDLC, pretty simple for a JPJ bassline and a lot of the feel is in the swing - it was the only bass song I knew more-or-less all the way through prior to RS, and is great for cutting your teeth on bass.

Yeah, the first thing I played was Radar Love, I'll check out that ZZ Top DLC and LZ CDLC. I'm also suprised how much easier than I expected most of the Rush DLC is on Bass, but it's still a blast.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I bought a bass Sunday. Longview and Walk On the Wild Side let's go!

Oh and I should probably Hey Ho Let's Go the on the bass too...

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I think Spiderwebs is my favorite piece of DLC this year. I'm loving the hell out of it on both Guitar and Bass. I had never really listened to the song before I bought the No Doubt pack either.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mr E posted:

After a few hours of playing my bass, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up a bass if you're a guitarist. Quite a bit of the theory carries over, and it's pretty simple to pick up while being really fun.

Here's the thing about a bass.

It's stupid easy to learn the basics and play the average song, however mastering it to notable levels is much harder.

For example, it's one thing to play "Next Girl" and another to play "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's stupid easy to learn the basics and play the average song, however mastering it to notable levels is much harder.

For example, it's one thing to play "Next Girl" and another to play "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"

Oh of course, I know that, I play drums sometimes and it's fairly easy to play a simple beat, but something like March of the Pigs or a swing beat in a rock song is way harder. That's what I love about both instruments, I can produce decent music with a little practice, but also have something to work towards.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 15, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Bass takes a hell of a lot more out of my fingers than guitar, like one hour of bass is the equivalent month of guitar playing wear for me. For that alone I have respect for bass guitar players.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

Les Claypool is pretty cool, but I sure hope no one I ever have to play with has "mastered" bass playing like he has

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bass is deceptively simple, the skill is really in the feel and really making stuff groove, and that's something Rocksmith gives no fucks about. I mean obviously there's more complicated bass parts (and when you get into improvisation it can get pretty hardcore) but there's a reason a lot of great songs by great players have really simple lines. Unfortunately this means a lot of people will be bored by some of them, and the game will let you half-rear end them no problem!

And learn to play with your fingers if you aren't already. Pick and fingers, do both. There's something incredibly satisfying and tactile about plucking them strings, and it gives you a ton of control and nuance

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChaosPath posted:

Les Claypool is pretty cool, but I sure hope no one I ever have to play with has "mastered" bass playing like he has

Maybe I should say something like Orion, my son plays the bass exclusively and it's one he's been working on for a long time.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
This week is almost certainly Creed.

:doh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Higher's fun to play and Creed is the most guilty of pleasures, especially that lovely Bullets music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPzhUp8mWgs

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm having trouble with bends. I can hit half step bends consistently but full step bends cause me problems (and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least some songs with step and a half bends which are just out of my scope at the moment. Typically the other strings will get in the way and cause the bending string to slip from beneath my finger before I actually hit the right spot. Am I supposed to slide my fingers under the other strings or just push all of them over? Also I don't think I've ever successfully hit a note where I was supposed to pre bend and release a string but that is at least partly me not knowing a song well enough to know it's coming up and be caught unprepared repeatedly.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mr E posted:

Higher's fun to play and Creed is the most guilty of pleasures, especially that lovely Bullets music video:
It's like a guilty pleasure, but not pleasurable.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

Come now - who doesn't want to hear the dulcet tones of

"Can you take me higher..."
...dor-der-dar-dedele-doo...

for approximately the 4,275,898th time?

Don't want to band shame but I was hoping for a Creed/Nickelback/Limp Bizkit mega-pack to get that unpleasantry out of the way. I'm sure I pissed off a few folks there anyway, so I'll throw this red meat out - I could actually go for some Jack Johnson - fire away haters. :colbert:

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Agent355 posted:

I'm having trouble with bends. I can hit half step bends consistently but full step bends cause me problems (and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least some songs with step and a half bends which are just out of my scope at the moment. Typically the other strings will get in the way and cause the bending string to slip from beneath my finger before I actually hit the right spot. Am I supposed to slide my fingers under the other strings or just push all of them over? Also I don't think I've ever successfully hit a note where I was supposed to pre bend and release a string but that is at least partly me not knowing a song well enough to know it's coming up and be caught unprepared repeatedly.

I had the same problem a while ago, and found playing Temple of Bends for a couple hours made a huge difference. It's a really good practice tool.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Agent355 posted:

Make sure you're doing them like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGl0urYSuug

Bending is not done by pushing with your finger. It's more of a doorknob-turning action, where a finger frets the note and the fingers behind it sit on the string too, and help it along. The actual force is exerted by twisting your wrist, so your hand pivots. Watch the video and you'll see

As far as the other strings go... it's common to let one of those 'behind the note' fingers stick out a bit, usually your first finger, so it reaches the other strings first and moves them out of the way, muting them. You'll also let it flop over the higher strings too, so they don't make any pings or squacks, but this is a more general technique. I bookmarked this video because I post it so often, really helpful explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmM83KeP28

The general idea there is that you will get unwanted noise from the other strings, so you basically keep them muted and under control when they're supposed to be quiet. Same idea when you bend, you use your hands to mute the other strings so when you do hit them (and you will with most bends) it doesn't actually make a sound, and same for letting them go.

Pre-bending is a skill, along with bending to pitch in general. Eventually you just get used to the feel of how much is right around the fretboard. I think it's in the justin video, but a good practice is to play your target note (the pitch you want to hit, like 2 frets higher than your start note for a whole-tone bend), then try and bend to the same pitch you just heard. Then play the target note again so you can hear how you did. Do it a lot, you can watch tv or something, and get your fingers and brain used to it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

When I say guilty pleasure I mean it:

I know they're bad and I can't stop.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is the pivoting wrist action the same way I'm supposed to do vibrato?

While I'm here another thing I still struggle with, Many chords have me play 1-3 notes on (for instance) the fifth fret with my first finger and another 1-3 notes on the seventh fret with my third. Thats not so bad when it happens down at the 7th-12th fret but when they ask me to make the same finger pattern on frets one and three I can't get my third finger far enough down the neck to make it work. Am I holding the guitar wrong or do I just have to keep trying until my fingers limber up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Don't bring your thumb over the neck, keep it in the middle of the back of the neck and don't collapse it. This will allow you to do further stretches. Also don't over do anything, if something isn't comfortable you're doing it wrong or you haven't built up the hand strength for it.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

YeahWhatevah posted:

Come now - who doesn't want to hear the dulcet tones of

"Can you take me higher..."
...dor-der-dar-dedele-doo...

for approximately the 4,275,898th time?

Oh man, that part is so fun to play lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Agent355 posted:

Is the pivoting wrist action the same way I'm supposed to do vibrato?

While I'm here another thing I still struggle with, Many chords have me play 1-3 notes on (for instance) the fifth fret with my first finger and another 1-3 notes on the seventh fret with my third. Thats not so bad when it happens down at the 7th-12th fret but when they ask me to make the same finger pattern on frets one and three I can't get my third finger far enough down the neck to make it work. Am I holding the guitar wrong or do I just have to keep trying until my fingers limber up.

Have another video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sh9a6HzM9Y

Assuming that's the one you mean... and yeah, it's harder where the frets are wider. You need to build up to it, get stronger and used to making the right shape. Generally your first finger can be quite lazy, since really there's only a couple of places it has to actually fret the string, and it's often easier to kinda use the edge of your first finger to barre because it's more like solid bone (no creases and padding for the strings to hide in).

The thing about the third finger and going 'eh' about the high E string... I never knew that when I was starting out, so I learned to do that mini barre with my pinky :ssh:

And with vibrato, that's a personal thing. There are lots of ways to do it - bending, bending up and down, squeezing the note rapidly, shaking the guitar... it depends what kind of sound you want to achieve. Generally it's a subtle thing, so the strings don't need to move much and you can just bend with your fingers, if you like

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Creed Song Pack – $11.99

Creed “Higher” – Drop D
Creed “My Own Prison” – Drop D
Creed “My Sacrifice” – Custom Tuning (DADADd) / Drop D [Bass]
Creed “One Last Breath” – Drop D [Bass]
Creed “With Arms Wide Open” – Drop D

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Guess I'll have to wait for Scott Stapp's solo DLC for "Marlins Will Soar" :colbert:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My Own Prison was the very first song I learned on guitar so I'll probably get it, feel free to shame me for this

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rebel1608 posted:

My Own Prison was the very first song I learned on guitar so I'll probably get it, feel free to shame me for this
By paying money for this you are actively encouraging creed. You are literally incentivizing creed. I'm just...I cant even talk to you right now.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mr E posted:

When I say guilty pleasure I mean it:

I know they're bad and I can't stop.

You have a serious problem.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Isn't Altered Bridge a bunch of the same people from Creed anyway? Or maybe its just one of the guitar players? I feel like this game has been encouraging Creed for a while. Plus I am sure pretty much all these songs are long running CDLCs that will have to be removed from the fan sites now anyway.

I am tempted to get these just cause I feel like they had some neat guitar riffs even if the songs themselves were pretty insufferable after the first couple hundred times you heard them.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Alter Bridge is basically Creed minus Scott Stapp

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Alter Bridge exists because Creed couldn't stand Scott Stapp any more than anyone else could.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

You have a serious problem.

I know, but John Fogerty is just so good!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLhdy9uHzE

Here is the Creed Pack video preview

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My g string doesn't seem to register correctly in game. I don't seem to have the same problem with the other strings but sometimes particularly in the higher frets the game just won't register a note even though I played the right one. Is this a common problem with rocksmith or is it a problem with my guitar? Maybe I'm just putting too much/little pressure on the strings causing it to play slightly sharp or flat? I don't really know but it's really irritating to be trying to improve at a given song, play the right note but have the game tell me I'm wrong anyhow.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Agent355 posted:

My g string doesn't seem to register correctly in game. I don't seem to have the same problem with the other strings but sometimes particularly in the higher frets the game just won't register a note even though I played the right one. Is this a common problem with rocksmith or is it a problem with my guitar? Maybe I'm just putting too much/little pressure on the strings causing it to play slightly sharp or flat? I don't really know but it's really irritating to be trying to improve at a given song, play the right note but have the game tell me I'm wrong anyhow.

You should check the intonation of the string. There's a guide for this in the OP of this thread, I think.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well I learned what intonation was today, I learned that 5 of my strings are perfectly intoned and one of them is incredibly out of whack. I learned that in order to adjust the intonation I have to actually remove the string, or at least release enough tension that I can get under it where the screw is, which is incredibly annoying and tedious.

The only tuner I have is the one that comes with rocksmith and for some reason that one doesn't seem to just let you use it like a regular tuner so the only comparison I could get between the 12th harmonic and the 12th fret is how far away they are from what my B is supposed to be in standard tuning :haw:

I got it to within 8 of each other, near as I can tell. So my harmonic was 802 and my 12th fret 810. Is that close enough or should I try to get even more accurate. My other strings are nearly pitch perfect, only off by 1 or 2 but I'm getting tired of constantly loosening and tightening the string entirely to make these small adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Well I learned what intonation was today, I learned that 5 of my strings are perfectly intoned and one of them is incredibly out of whack. I learned that in order to adjust the intonation I have to actually remove the string, or at least release enough tension that I can get under it where the screw is, which is incredibly annoying and tedious.

The only tuner I have is the one that comes with rocksmith and for some reason that one doesn't seem to just let you use it like a regular tuner so the only comparison I could get between the 12th harmonic and the 12th fret is how far away they are from what my B is supposed to be in standard tuning :haw:

I got it to within 8 of each other, near as I can tell. So my harmonic was 802 and my 12th fret 810. Is that close enough or should I try to get even more accurate. My other strings are nearly pitch perfect, only off by 1 or 2 but I'm getting tired of constantly loosening and tightening the string entirely to make these small adjustments.

It's worth the effort to get it right now