Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I received conditional approval on my Nexus card today. I have my interview tomorrow. I was expecting a long wait for an appointment, but both enrollment centers nearby had multiple appointments available. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I received conditional approval on my Nexus card today. I have my interview tomorrow. I was expecting a long wait for an appointment, but both enrollment centers nearby had multiple appointments available. :dance:

I've got Global Entry but I'm strongly considering going for Nexus since I will likely have a three hour layover at YYZ in November.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The initial review of my application took 2 months, so apply away.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My wife has two long layovers at ohare. What is the best Lounge at O'Hare? Free drinks are important. I usually fly us so I use us lounges but I got into the dl Lounge at lga and it was incredible. So, wanted to see what people recommend for buying a pass.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

My wife has two long layovers at ohare. What is the best Lounge at O'Hare? Free drinks are important. I usually fly us so I use us lounges but I got into the dl Lounge at lga and it was incredible. So, wanted to see what people recommend for buying a pass.

At most Delta lounges only the well drinks are free, and they aren't even really free because you're guilted into tipping the bartender.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I'm hesitant to believe that this is a universal experience.

Can confirm this is true. Tell em about an expansion project that is pending and they stop asking questions. (BC, Quebec and Alberta for me)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Thoguh posted:

At most Delta lounges only the well drinks are free, and they aren't even really free because you're guilted into tipping the bartender.

Your point being? People who don't tip are beneath pond scum.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

What the hell is this?

Also I heard the nexus line at yvr was closed today for 9/11. Anyone know if that's the real reason?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Your point being? People who don't tip are beneath pond scum.

My point being they aren't self serve anymore so even the free drinks end up not being free.

Edit: they all used to be self serve so actually were free. It is annoying when a tipped interaction is arbitrarily inserted into the process.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 12, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Jesus Christ.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Rick Bayless has a number of Frontera sandwich places at ohare. If your wife likes Mexican food, she should go there. Not a lounge, but still worth it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why ya'll acting like I kicked a puppy or something? The guy said free drinks were important in his decision so I commented about the drinks. And it is a material change from what Delta lounges used to do. So if somebody hadn't been to one in a few years their expectations would need to be updated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At any rate the DL lounge at O'Hare sucks.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

There's two AA Admiral's Club lounges in Term 3. The one in the H-K concourse is pretty big and has food for purchase and showers. Both have free drinks (please tip your bartenders). I usually get a sandwich at the Bayless spot and then go up to the lounge to work.

It's not ~super luxe~ or anything but it works alright for me (yogurt pretzels!).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Why ya'll acting like I kicked a puppy or something? The guy said free drinks were important in his decision so I commented about the drinks. And it is a material change from what Delta lounges used to do. So if somebody hadn't been to one in a few years their expectations would need to be updated.

Because no one gives a poo poo (or shouldn't) that they have to now tip a minimum wage, likely underemployed worker except you.

Saying they painted the wall ivory from the previous color of bone would be a bigger update than this.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

sellouts posted:

Because no one gives a poo poo (or shouldn't) that they have to now tip a minimum wage, likely underemployed worker except you.

Saying they painted the wall ivory from the previous color of bone would be a bigger update than this.

Meh, I find it annoying to wait around on the bartenders. Especially if I have short layover and just want quick poop and a beer.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MickeyFinn posted:

Rick Bayless has a number of Frontera sandwich places at ohare. If your wife likes Mexican food, she should go there. Not a lounge, but still worth it.

Frontera is already on the menu ;) So, it sounds like all the lounges are pretty much the same. Free (bad) beer and (bad) wine with DL having the additional free (bad) well drink? In that case, she can just buy whichever one is easiest for her.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

Meh, I find it annoying to wait around on the bartenders. Especially if I have short layover and just want quick poop and a beer.

I usually find the wait in a lounge to always be a percentage less than the outside restaurants. Just me though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Shbobdb posted:

Frontera is already on the menu ;) So, it sounds like all the lounges are pretty much the same. Free (bad) beer and (bad) wine with DL having the additional free (bad) well drink? In that case, she can just buy whichever one is easiest for her.

United Clubs have free well drinks too but it's also nothing special. I like the legacy President's Club locations because they usually have showers which is awesome after international flights.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I wasn't bitching about the expectation of tipping for a free drink from a bartender, I was bitching about them going from what used to be a self serve bar to now having to get a drink from a bartender, with the tip going along with it.

A hotel I stay at has done something similar. You used to get passes to the fitness center next door from the front desk and you just asked for them when you checked in. Now they keep them at the concierge so you have to go ask them and generally are expected to give a tip. Same interaction, moved over a few feet, now it costs. Like I posted, it is annoying when a company arbitrarily turns an interaction into a tipped interaction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like the bartenders because I am a polite and affable person who enjoys having short conversations with other human beings. Plus, the self-service bar is so gauche.

I recognize that this makes me somewhat unique amongst goons.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

To be fair, I like that the PHL Admirals Club is self serve so no one can judge me when I get that fourth helping of Yuengling and cucumber finger sandwiches.

Anyway, I just flew one of AA's upgraded 737-800 and they are niiiiice. Multiple power outlets on every seat! Legroom even when not in MCE/F! I think there was even an S-Video cable? I didn't recognize the plug shape.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the bartenders because I am a polite and affable person who enjoys having short conversations with other human beings. Plus, the self-service bar is so gauche.

:hfive:

I cannot imagine being annoyed by a small tip during an interaction that in almost all other public places would expect it.

Anyone know when the Soho House is installing their self service bar?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taco show posted:

To be fair, I like that the PHL Admirals Club is self serve so no one can judge me when I get that fourth helping of Yuengling and cucumber finger sandwiches.

Anyway, I just flew one of AA's upgraded 737-800 and they are niiiiice. Multiple power outlets on every seat! Legroom even when not in MCE/F! I think there was even an S-Video cable? I didn't recognize the plug shape.

Yeah, that's SVID. I like the plug locations.

Every time I'm in a sky club the guys are pushing food and drink on me like they get paid commission. The Italian Wedding Soup is surprisingly decent.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's almost as if you like people or something. Weren't you the one chastising me for even considering taking a Lync call via in-flight Wi-Fi? :colbert:

Ask me about business travel/frequent travel: You like lots of people, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

It's almost as if you like people or something. Weren't you the one chastising me for even considering taking a Lync call via in-flight Wi-Fi? :colbert:

Heck yes I was.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

taco show posted:

... is self serve so no one can judge me when I get that fourth ...

Okay, coming clean, this.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The auto machines that tipped the glass over were kinda sweet though.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
*jumps up from seat 10D*
*opens coat revealing dynamite*

gently caress ORD! THIS THREAD'S GOING TO T-I-P!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Aristotle Animes posted:

*jumps up from seat 10D*
*opens coat revealing dynamite*

gently caress ORD! THIS THREAD'S GOING TO T-I-P!

anything to avoid ord

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I don't mind ORD. I like the cheesy plink plonk music in neon tunnel. I tend to avoid it in the winter for obvious reasons. I rarely connect int'l there but I can't see that being any worse. I'd welcome the walk before a transatlantic.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

I don't mind ORD. I like the cheesy plink plonk music in neon tunnel. I tend to avoid it in the winter for obvious reasons. I rarely connect int'l there but I can't see that being any worse. I'd welcome the walk before a transatlantic.

Agreed, what's a trip without a saunter through the psychedelic tunnel?

Also, while I've been stuck in ORD some, I'll gladly take ORD over EWR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Death to ORD.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That and every time I take off from IAD I pray the plane pulls a 180 and crashes into the terminal. gently caress that place.

ORD loving sucks too.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Are yall slumming in Term 2 or what?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
ORD is a gigantic crowded mess but the Rick Bayless torta place was pretty good :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

canoshiz posted:

ORD is a gigantic crowded mess but the Rick Bayless torta place was pretty good :)

The loaded guac there is a refreshing treat that I always make sure to grab

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

majestic12 posted:

Are yall slumming in Term 2 or what?

Which are the regional garbage gates? F? Which for some reason got a new ua club while the ones in b and c were left in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The only good part about ORD is that Chicago's Best Hotdog place. I don't generally like hot dogs (3 kids: we get them enough), but that place does them right. As for the rest of it? No thanks: give me a layover in MSP instead.