Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Starcade '95 is great for Heenan and Rhodes making GBS threads on Schiovane. He calls a move the 'Mafia Kick' and the others start laughing, then call moves like the Sicilian Neckbreaker and the Yugoslavian armbar.

The best moment comes in the main event though:

Tony: Sting there with a rush of adrenaline.
Dusty: Did...did you say Russian ad-
Tony: RUSH OF. Rush of adrenaline.

They also make fun of him for calling a german suplex correctly at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Someone in WCW watched Toy Story. Twice in Starcade Macho Man drops "To infinity and beyond" and then in the Nitro after Hogan does the same thing.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
I've been marathon watching Nitro, and I'm up to February 96 and I must say: Goofy happy Tag Team Champion Lex Luger is my favorite character.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How far in time does Nitro go so far? I know they started at the beginning, how many episodes are up? I let my Network subscription expire but might come back for Henry/Rusev (it will be good shut up) and 1997 Nitros, aka the beginning of my wrestling fandom.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

projecthalaxy posted:

How far in time does Nitro go so far? I know they started at the beginning, how many episodes are up? I let my Network subscription expire but might come back for Henry/Rusev (it will be good shut up) and 1997 Nitros, aka the beginning of my wrestling fandom.

Every Nitro in 95 and 96 is what's available.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

Every Nitro in 95 and 96 is what's available.

I see, thank you. Maybe soon they will add the next year and I can be eight again, begging Sting to come down from his perch and save us from the horrid NWO forces. That'll be fun. Or I'll realize it's all garbage and I was a foolish child. But I hope not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

I see, thank you. Maybe soon they will add the next year and I can be eight again, begging Sting to come down from his perch and save us from the horrid NWO forces. That'll be fun. Or I'll realize it's all garbage and I was a foolish child. But I hope not.

'97 and most of '98 was good before they start skidding into the abyss.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm enjoyed watching the 95 stuff because I didn't get into it until mid - late 96. This stuff is nuts. Also, Johnny B Bad seems to get really lengthy matches every PPV.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

I'm enjoyed watching the 95 stuff because I didn't get into it until mid - late 96. This stuff is nuts. Also, Johnny B Bad seems to get really lengthy matches every PPV.

There's a reason why Vince stole him away and gave him a big guaranteed money contract!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Flyin' Brian / Johnny B. Badd opener at Fall Brawl 1995 makes me so glad time limit draws aren't a thing anymore. I actually rather like the PPV overall but MAN those first couple of matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also make fun of him for calling a german suplex correctly at one point.
Don't know if it's the same show (but I think it was some Starrcade or other) when they poo poo on him for using the term "Dragon Screw Leg Whip"

Dusty is really funny on commentary but I couldn't listen to him week in week out

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Flyin' Brian / Johnny B. Badd opener at Fall Brawl 1995 makes me so glad time limit draws aren't a thing anymore. I actually rather like the PPV overall but MAN those first couple of matches.

That match really made me question WTF the point was of even having a time limit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Watching World War 3 1995 with Hulk Hogan refusing to go down clean once again. "Yes, we've seen the video footage! We know you didn't go over the top rope!"

Macho Man should be getting cheers and instead he's getting confused boos. gently caress Hogan.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I love watching Hogan do his whole invincible mode thing and the crowd just doesn't get into it in the 95/96 Nitros. People were so sick of it by then and it is embarrassing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really, really wish Monday Night Wars was chronological instead of jumping from topic to topic. It's really jarring when the last time we've heard from the WWE they were stuck in the 80s and then boom, apparently DX appeared while we were watching the NWO? Go back and do it in order, goddammit, I want to see how the companies were reacting to each other.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Well, I signed up for another six months. I like getting the PPVs, sure, but for me the real appeal is being able to pick up my tablet and be like "BOX, SHOW ME THE STEINER BROTHERS KILLING SOME GUY" and it does. I am not sure why someone who is not a longtime fan would get it though. I guess they didn't.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CapnAndy posted:

I really, really wish Monday Night Wars was chronological instead of jumping from topic to topic. It's really jarring when the last time we've heard from the WWE they were stuck in the 80s and then boom, apparently DX appeared while we were watching the NWO? Go back and do it in order, goddammit, I want to see how the companies were reacting to each other.

Yeah, I definitely thought it would be more side by side of what was happening, rather than a whole episode focusing on a storyline or character. Morel like "here was what happened between March and August 1998" rather than "here is an overview of Mick Foley's career from 1996 to 2000"

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

projecthalaxy posted:

Well, I signed up for another six months. I like getting the PPVs, sure, but for me the real appeal is being able to pick up my tablet and be like "BOX, SHOW ME THE STEINER BROTHERS KILLING SOME GUY" and it does. I am not sure why someone who is not a longtime fan would get it though. I guess they didn't.

I always bring up the Steiners in my explanation about why the network is worth it! What is it about those two balls of muscle and suplexes that is just so drat engaging?

I even walk around the apartment singing "Steinerized."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm watching World War 3 '95, and Tony shilling Compuserve chat is the 1995 equivalent of Cole shilling Twitter. Join the discussion...on compuserve.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My favorite part was Ted Dibiase pretending he knew what the Internet was

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 1993 Raw I'm watching has, in maybe the space of 10 minutes, had the commentators reference The Fugitive, Burt & Loni's divorce, the recent Israeli peace accords, Raymond Burr's passing, and the struggles of new late-night host Conan O' Brien.

If I were writing a movie set in 1993 I'd have to nix all this dialogue as being way too on the nose.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, what the gently caress is Hacksaw Jim Duggan's gimmick? He's a crazy hobo who hits people with a 2x4 but loves America? What the gently caress is his character supposed to be?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, what the gently caress is Hacksaw Jim Duggan's gimmick? He's a crazy hobo who hits people with a 2x4 but loves America? What the gently caress is his character supposed to be?

He's a man who chants USA! So Daniel Bryan with different letters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

TheJoker138 posted:

He's a crazy hobo who hits people with a 2x4 but loves America?
Yes, but he's also a college educated man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

TheJoker138 posted:

You pretty much nailed it, except he also yells "HOOOOOOOO" sometimes.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Great White Hope posted:

He's a man who chants USA! So Daniel Bryan with different letters.

This post circa November 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Hacksaw on Legends House and he actually did seem pretty intelligent, though that might have just been in comparison to everyone else. :unsmith:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endless Mike posted:

I liked Hacksaw on Legends House and he actually did seem pretty intelligent, though that might have just been in comparison to everyone else. :unsmith:

Hacksaw and Piper trying to cheat during that one game, and doing it so badly because Piper forgot that Hacksaw is basically blind, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheJoker138 posted:

He was a special needs child who aspired to be a lumberjack like the guy on the paper towels. He wasn't allowed to swing an axe as a wrestler, so he just found a 2x4. He yells "HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" because he heard people yell that on boats when they see land, and he thought it was neat.

He really was the basis for Eugene. All of his press photos and interviews have him doing some combination of:

- Giving a super-enthusiastic thumbs up
- Smiling with his tongue sticking out
- Crossing his eyes
- Yelling/screaming gibberish
- Using simple/basic words
- Standing up to mean bullies by calling out "tough guys"

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
^^ I really want to believe this.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sleepingbuddha posted:

^^ I really want to believe this.

Here are some Hacksaw moments proving he was a Lennie without a George (although maybe the 2x4 was his George):

1. The most Hacksaw thing I can think of is when they sold Yokozuna as such a monster, that no one had even knocked him down. Duggan gets a match with him, and manages to hit Yoko with three clotheslines, and as Yoko starts to topple, Duggan just stands there and does his thumbs-up while grinning like an idiot. Yokozuna ended up destroying Duggan, draping him in the flag, and giving him a series of Banzai Splashes. They even had Duggan's (kayfabe?) wife do an interview saying that Jim needed to stay home.

2. Duggan stars on 'Harry and The Hendersons', and Harry wrestles in a mask:

3. In WCW, Jim Duggan became a janitor. While emptying the trash, he found the TV Title, thrown away by "Last Call" Scott Hall. Duggan crowns himself the new TV champion.

4. After becoming champion by cashing in his MitB briefcase on John Cena, Edge, with Lita, brags on Raw. Out comes Hacksaw to ask for a title shot, and he leads the crowd in a USA chant. Edge is incredibly confused: "What? What are you talking about? Why are you chanting USA?!"

5. Sgt. Slaughter runs out of steam as an Iraqi sympathizer, and out of nowhere, starts appearing in vignettes of him visiting the Statue of Liberty and other places, proclaiming: "I want my country back!". After a while of this, we don't see Sarge. Then, Hacksaw Jim Duggan has a match against one of the Nasty Boys. As soon as Duggan has the upper hand, the other Nasty jumps in the ring and starts beating up Duggan. Sarge, having received zero shits from anyone via his face promos, does the only thing he can think of to become a hero again: save the retarded Hacksaw Jim Duggan. The two form a makeshift tag team that's actually pretty successful against the Nasties/Beverlies/etc., and even join up with Virgil and The Big Boss Man to fight Repo Man, The Mountie, and The Nasty Boys at WrestleMania VIII - and win! :unsmith:

6. After fooling around in WWE for a little while (beating up jobbers who claimed to be French), he found someone to mentor: Eugene. Eventually, Eugene had a freakout when he missed Jeopardy or something, and attacked Duggan. The two had a match which Eugene won.

7. During a Raw in Canada, the guest host was Sgt. Slaughter, Duggan's old pal. Slaughter told the crowd a legend was appearing, and that he was the best there ever was, will be, and so forth. Duggan comes out, dressed in patriotic gear, and is booed by the crowd, who were expecting Burt Hart or someone. Slaughter laughs and laughs, but Duggan doesn't understand the problem. Oh well. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

8. In his later years in WWE, he was routinely picked on by bullies: Rated RKO, Chris Masters, Umaga, The Legacy, and, well, lots of mean guys, okay? He eventually decided to retire until a former bully, Jerry "The King" Lawler, gave him a pep talk. Duggan decided to be a tough guy, and un-retires! USA! USA! USA!

9. Duggan was inducted into the Hall of Fame by Ted DiBiase, The "Million Dollar Man". Duggan picked DiBiase to induct him because he figured it should be a guy with shaggy hair and a beard, just like him.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm in the mood to see a PPV or match on the Network where the crowd just shits all over it. Something like the end of the last Royal Rumble.

Any suggestions?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I'm in the mood to see a PPV or match on the Network where the crowd just shits all over it. Something like the end of the last Royal Rumble.

Any suggestions?

Luger/Windham from Great American Bash '91, Goldberg/Lesnar from WrestleMania XX.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Any suggestions?

Great American Bash 1991: Actually I think the entire show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Any suggestions?

Great American Bash 91, the whole show is like that but the title match especially so.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Awesome.

And related: Which NXT episode had Eva Marie on it? I heard that one was especially brutal

ed:

Found it, Aug 7

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Awesome.

And related: Which NXT episode had Eva Marie on it? I heard that one was especially brutal

ed:

Found it, Aug 7

She was visibly crying.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Speaking as someone who initially hated Eva Marie, I kind of feel bad for her. She seems basically well meaning, if inept, and it's clear WWE doesn't give a poo poo about her or her career and will dump her the second Total Divas goes off the air. Granted, she'll probably be able to parlay the Maxim photo shoots into something afterwards, but she still comes across as someone who's basically being set up to fail by the company.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hahaha, so, I'm watching the Hart episode of Monday Night Raw and at about 39:50, Confronting the Shadow Broker from Mass Effect plays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJhcfA5TtU

Ironically, it's played when Bret goes to confront McMahon after the Screwjob. It's really, really weird hearing music from a video game in a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Eva Marie on NXT thing was super overblown. She gets a bad reaction but it's not the crucifixion the internet made it out to be.