Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rust Martialis posted:

I never knew Mel played with Camel and Caravan.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa back up the Prog Fun Bus. No loving poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

A short teaser, I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not exhausted, but...

MEL loving COLLINS.

His playing over "VROOOM" was just...holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN SOONER

We got "Starless" too

Hooookay so prepare for the ocean of Spoiler tags

Set list wassss (best of to my memory, once I find another source I'll see if it was as accurate as I remember

Larks 1
Pictures of a city
Scarcity
Level 5
Red nightmare
VROOOM (with Marine:475 Coda!)
Hell hounds
Letters
ConstruKction
Hells bells
Sailors tale
Light and day
Talking drum
Larks 2
Starless
Hoo doo
Schizoid

The show production itself was surprisingly minimal. There was only one large lighting cue in Starless. During the middle section with Bruford's 13/8 bass riff it gradually bathed the stage in Red light. I was sober (except for the beers I had during dinner) but I swear in the middle of that lighting change it felt like I was tripping. I can easily see why Fripp choose to be illuminated. I could easily see if he wasn't, you would forget he was there. He was mixed fine, but Mel clearly stole the show. At certain points in ConstruKction and Level Five, he would be soloing over where Adrian would and it just felt so RIGHT, it was mind-blowing. Nothing felt lost, and it never felt like "oh well there's this hole here we have to fill up somehow" I was never the biggest fan of The Letters but Jakko really did a superb job with it. I think he might be my favorite Crimson vocalist now. Tony was amazing, bouncing from Stick to Electric Upright to the Three Of A Perfect Pair bass, sometimes in the same song! There was a moment in Scarcity of Miracles where THAT Fripp-Fuzz-Tone came out, and the hairs on the back of my neck just stood UP. It was instantaneous and slightly scary how VISCERAL it was, even on a tune as "mellow" as that one.

The three drummers took a surprising route, very rarely playing together except for moments of extreme bombast. During the breaks in One More Red Nightmare they were trading fills. I really saw Bill as a direct link to Michael Giles and the drumming from '69, pretty much laying down the beat and puttin' down the groove. Gavin took most of the heavy lifting/Bruford licks, while Pat pretty much just Jamie Muir'd it all night, with his weird-rear end cymbals and electronics. The stereo separation in the PA between the sets was stupidly good.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 16, 2014

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Noise Machine posted:

A short teaser, I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not exhausted, but...

MEL loving COLLINS.

His playing over "VROOOM" was just...holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN SOONER

We got "Starless" too

Mel actually told me (in Albany) Robert implied/said he could have 'come back' sooner but it somehow didn't happen.

If you cand find out what hotel they're at you can probably meet most of the band after a show. It was the Hilton in Albany.

Mel likes port.

Jakko and Mel in 2007 doing 'Starless': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dAuT7LDQI

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Mel actually told me (in Albany) Robert implied/said he could have 'come back' sooner but it somehow didn't happen.

If you cand find out what hotel they're at you can probably meet most of the band after a show. It was the Hilton in Albany.

Mel likes port.

Jakko and Mel in 2007 doing 'Starless': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dAuT7LDQI

As much as I wanted too I had to get back, plus I'd feel a little creepy stalking them out as good as my intentions were.

Can $80 magically float it's way into my bank account so I can see the second show tonight?

Edit: Patricia (Fripp's sister) was handling merch and allowing photo ops! I heard Toyah flew in to Philly and was also in the crowd in Boston tonight, but I didn't see her.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Isn't she a somewhat famous motivational speaker or something?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Isn't she a somewhat famous motivational speaker or something?

She is, there's actually a great lecture with her and Robert, where Robert talks about all the trappings of being a professional musician. He talks about the contract he signed with EMI where they had all rights not only on this planet, but also any other planets humanity might colonize in the future, and any space beyond that. There's also a great anecdote Andy Summers told him. It was the peak of The Police, and Andy Summers decided to hike to the summit of Kathmandu. At the top is a kid selling Coke, in a Police shirt with a Police tape playing from him boombox. Last time I checked I believe it was on Spotify.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Lol. Someone shot and posted a YouTube of the encore from one of the KC Boston shows. P@ noticed it and said 'hey look at this quick before management gets it removed'. I did. Gone now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never been a huge king crimson fan and don't know much about Fripp beyond the fact he was super hard on "NEW STANDARD GUITAR TUNING!" for a while. Is he just a bit of a loner or is he a weirdo jerk

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

muike posted:

I've never been a huge king crimson fan and don't know much about Fripp beyond the fact he was super hard on "NEW STANDARD GUITAR TUNING!" for a while. Is he just a bit of a loner or is he a weirdo jerk

He actually seems like a charming, shy, humble guy who's also a completely insane taskmaster and perfectionist.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thank you for explaining the nightmares I have about Robert Fripp to me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
reposting because this is basically robert fripp in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VGyoIyBgc

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's loving adorable

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At the Madison, WI KC2014 show last night, was talking to Patricia Fripp (who was working merch with Adrian, who does all prog merch tables, I think) and Robert came out after the show, hurriedly said his 'see you in SF' and kissed her farewell. I just stood there and didn't interrupt or try to talk to him. A minorly public private moment.

The show was amazing, but don't sit front row. I was 5 feet from Gavin's bass and his kit almost totally blocked Fripp. Bill's kit blocked most of Tony and some of Mel.

No aftershow party for plebs like Albany, the band had a few pass-holder guests allowed in for 15 minutes then they bundled into a white van and headed off from the venue.

Photos (before/after) will follow. Got to talk to Tony a couple seconds before the show when he came out to phototgraph the venue.

Peanut Fantasies
Jun 19, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

The show was amazing, but don't sit front row. I was 5 feet from Gavin's bass and his kit almost totally blocked Fripp. Bill's kit blocked most of Tony and some of Mel.

Saw them in NYC Saturday. Show was absolutely amazing. Agree with you on the seating, seeing all 3 drummers without turning my head was great, too much going on to be focusing on only one person.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well, I'm about to leave for Chicago. Still hasn't quite sunk in that in 10 hours I'll finally be seeing King Crimson in person.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate you all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I feel bad for missing then this tour. I think it's the first time I missed a crimson show since construction of light tour. But I'm too old for mid-week concerts apparently.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

I hate you all.

At least one camp alum spent last night watching Allan Holdsworth play in Chicago sitting with a few members of Crim at Reggie's. Fried pickles were shared.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, I feel bad for missing then this tour. I think it's the first time I missed a crimson show since construction of light tour. But I'm too old for mid-week concerts apparently.

These did NOT feel like a farewell tour. No inside info, just no way did it feel this was a final trip for this band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

These did NOT feel like a farewell tour. No inside info, just no way did it feel this was a final trip for this band.

It's a lot of (old) people to keep together for a long stretch. The quartet was at least fairly young. I hope you're right and that this is really stimulating for them. I'd love to catch the show.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Agreed, and the level of arrangement within the few new pieces definitely was not thrown together in anyway. I really, really hope we get a real, honest-to-goodness new Crimson album.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Anyone interested in going to the LA show at the Orpheum Tuesday night PM me.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Saw Crimson at the Vic in Chicago last night. It started off amazing. They played LTIA1/Talking Drum/LTIA2. I had chills the entire time! But that was the highlight for me. The way the sound system was set up, the right side of the stage (where I was) had their view of Gavin and Fripp blocked the entire time, because of stacks of speakers. And the venue security had such a stick up their rear end about no photography, that they'd follow you around and hover if you got up to move so you could see - as I did. I couldn't even take my phone out to keep note of the set list because I got bitched at.

Bill Rieflin was a waste of space. He added absolutely nothing the the songs, and just got in the way of the overall groove of everything. And he was turned down so low in the overall mix that he was drown out by everyone else. And he simplified the Sailors Tale drum part, which was annoying. Maybe he was just having a really bad night, but he doesn't seem to have the talent to merit being in the band. His single stroke drum rolls were fantastic, though.

Tony's sound got better as the show went on, but he started off way too low in the mix, but eventually got turned up, whereas Bill never did.

Jakko changed the vocal melody to One More Red Nightmare (and I don't think he has the right voice for that song anyway), and some of the lyrics of Schizoid Man, which I didn't care for.

Mel Collins was fantastic! Although, he did have an awkwardly placed sax solo in the middle of Construkction of Light, which was played as an instrumental.

Red was a bit sloppy. Pat and Bill lost count of the fills a couple times. And Starless was amazing, except for the fast outro bit in 13. They slowed it down, and Gavin played it straight, which completely took away from the urgency from the original version. Bill played a close approximation of Bruford's original part in the outro, but, again, he was drown out, so he couldn't be heard anyway.

The drummers were amazingly tight on the ending of Pictures of a City, and all throughout Schizoid Man. But the show was so inconsistent. And the set didn't flow, either. Scarcity of Miracles and Light of Day were so boring, and thrown in immediately after really exciting songs, which was very jarring. It was 50% of a good show. I'm hoping it was just a bad night, though, and that no one else has to be subjected to something similar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan. Dude, you saw Crimson. I especially love your concern that we never experience something oh so terrible, when most of us won't even get the chance.

:frogout:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan. Dude, you saw Crimson. I especially love your concern that we never experience something oh so terrible, when most of us won't even get the chance.

Until the last couple of years they used to tour kind of a lot.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Allen Wren posted:

I have a feeling the close I'll ever get to seeing King Crimson is when Stick Men (Tony Levin + Pat Mastelotto + Markus Reuter) and Adrian Below Power Trio and were on the same bill, played separate sets, and then played a set of King Crimson tunes together as a six-piece. That's going to have to be enough.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A week ago or so I listened to Dream of Stone by Gazpacho, and now I'm tired, confused and the only thing I know is that my Spotify history is just a long, unbroken row of this wonderful, beautiful band.

I really don't know where to go from here, I think Night might just be the best thing I've ever heard, and I don't know how to top that. Is there anything out there that manages to balance an emotional, powerful, proggy and rich sound the way Gazpacho does?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

It is actually ok and acceptable for people to criticize King Crimson's live performance. They are not gods. I only saw them once, it was in the mid 90's (THRAK tour), and they put on a decent show, but it was not great. It happens.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

It is actually ok and acceptable for people to criticize King Crimson's live performance. They are not gods. I only saw them once, it was in the mid 90's (THRAK tour), and they put on a decent show, but it was not great. It happens.

Sure, bad and/or mediocre shows happen, but prog doctor's hyperbolic "oh such tragedy, I hope you never experience something so terrible" post about it after a solid chunk of posts of people who get to go to the shows, which I cannot afford, and people who meet the guys in the band at special gatherings and things, which I also cannot afford, comes off as arrogant and annoying.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Sure, bad and/or mediocre shows happen, but prog doctor's hyperbolic "oh such tragedy, I hope you never experience something so terrible" post about it after a solid chunk of posts of people who get to go to the shows, which I cannot afford, and people who meet the guys in the band at special gatherings and things, which I also cannot afford, comes off as arrogant and annoying.

I think you're reading something the rest of us aren't.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
We didn't get Pictures of a City on Thursday night's show. I don't think they substituted it with anything... just no Pictures. I really didn't like the slower, funkier take on the last part of Starless (Starless always gives me chills, and this performance didn't), I don't think Red and VROOOM feel like they belong in the same setlist, and I didn't think the lineup justified having three drummers—but that's all the griping I'll do.

Biggest highlight of the night for me was Larks' Tongues Part 1, followed by VROOOM—which I didn't think needed a tenor sax part until I heard Collins play it.

Overall it was a very good show. Not phenomenal—but seeing Crimson at all was definitely a bucket list thing for me, and I'm glad I went.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I wish they would tour in Australia

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Sorry if that came off as "hyperbolic". What I meant was, I hope no one else gets harassed for the entire show by security. And I'm sorry, but when I save up for months to be able to buy a ticket (being a janitor doesn't pay much), I expect a drat good show. And it's drat hard to enjoy yourself while being harassed, and 1/4 of the band is hidden behind a wall of speakers.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
First person who can be hosed to PM me and show up to the Orpheum Tuesday night can see this show for free.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Prog Doctor posted:

Saw Crimson at the Vic in Chicago last night. It started off amazing. They played LTIA1/Talking Drum/LTIA2. I had chills the entire time! But that was the highlight for me. The way the sound system was set up, the right side of the stage (where I was) had their view of Gavin and Fripp blocked the entire time, because of stacks of speakers. And the venue security had such a stick up their rear end about no photography, that they'd follow you around and hover if you got up to move so you could see - as I did. I couldn't even take my phone out to keep note of the set list because I got bitched at.

Yeah because of dipshits who try to take pictures. Live without the device for 2 hours, man.

quote:

Bill Rieflin was a waste of space. He added absolutely nothing the the songs, and just got in the way of the overall groove of everything. And he was turned down so low in the overall mix that he was drown out by everyone else. And he simplified the Sailors Tale drum part, which was annoying. Maybe he was just having a really bad night, but he doesn't seem to have the talent to merit being in the band. His single stroke drum rolls were fantastic, though.

Well from Bill's bare-bones kit, he's clearly not there to be on the same basis as P@ or Gavin; he's some light drum bits and some keyboards. He seems nice enough but he doesn't really fit in.

quote:

Tony's sound got better as the show went on, but he started off way too low in the mix, but eventually got turned up, whereas Bill never did.

Jakko changed the vocal melody to One More Red Nightmare (and I don't think he has the right voice for that song anyway), and some of the lyrics of Schizoid Man, which I didn't care for.

Short of inviting Wetton on tour, your other option is Ade. I like Ade. But Jakko's voice is better for the songs in the setlist.

quote:

Mel Collins was fantastic! Although, he did have an awkwardly placed sax solo in the middle of Construkction of Light, which was played as an instrumental.

Yes, not one Belew lyric all night. Removed where present. Not sure why (there's a rumour).

quote:

Red was a bit sloppy. Pat and Bill lost count of the fills a couple times. And Starless was amazing, except for the fast outro bit in 13. They slowed it down, and Gavin played it straight, which completely took away from the urgency from the original version. Bill played a close approximation of Bruford's original part in the outro, but, again, he was drown out, so he couldn't be heard anyway.

The drummers were amazingly tight on the ending of Pictures of a City, and all throughout Schizoid Man. But the show was so inconsistent. And the set didn't flow, either. Scarcity of Miracles and Light of Day were so boring, and thrown in immediately after really exciting songs, which was very jarring. It was 50% of a good show. I'm hoping it was just a bad night, though, and that no one else has to be subjected to something similar.

I saw three shows; there were a few songs where I experienced the Beast, across the three nights. It wasn't every song, and it wasn't the same song each night. So yeah, you get some good playing, then you get the Beast, and you gape.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's the rumor about Ade?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Yeah because of dipshits who try to take pictures. Live without the device for 2 hours, man.

But there are bugs in my skin!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

What's the rumor about Ade?

That when told he was not going to be invited on the tour, he said he didn't want them singing his songs. I find this unlikely; the tour CD has songs with Ade singing on it, for example. But I did bet myself we wouldn't hear any Belew lyrics sung prior to the first show, and I won that bet, for whatever reason.

Obviously nobody was going to ask Ade at camp.

Aside: Pat told a short story, about how when they were practising (not sure where or what year), Bruford (who had left KC) dropped by and chatted with Pat; Pat went upstairs to tell Robert that Bruford was downstairs and Robert was practicing and declined to come say hello, leaving Pat the uncomfortable task of explaining it to Bill, but as soon as he started to explain, Bill stopped him and said he understood it was just Robert being Robert.

So either Robert wanted to focus on the early stuff (with two exceptions), or Robert decided he would respect Adrian's work, or Adrian's request, I don't know. Some day I'll ask Adrian, but not yet. I will come back to say what he says though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

That when told he was not going to be invited on the tour, he said he didn't want them singing his songs. I find this unlikely; the tour CD has songs with Ade singing on it, for example. But I did bet myself we wouldn't hear any Belew lyrics sung prior to the first show, and I won that bet, for whatever reason.

Obviously nobody was going to ask Ade at camp.

Aside: Pat told a short story, about how when they were practising (not sure where or what year), Bruford (who had left KC) dropped by and chatted with Pat; Pat went upstairs to tell Robert that Bruford was downstairs and Robert was practicing and declined to come say hello, leaving Pat the uncomfortable task of explaining it to Bill, but as soon as he started to explain, Bill stopped him and said he understood it was just Robert being Robert.

So either Robert wanted to focus on the early stuff (with two exceptions), or Robert decided he would respect Adrian's work, or Adrian's request, I don't know. Some day I'll ask Adrian, but not yet. I will come back to say what he says though.

Adrian seems like the nicest, most laid back guy and Fripp's a weirdo with crazy hang ups, so I imagine is isn't a gag order coming from team belew. But who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Adrian seems like the nicest, most laid back guy and Fripp's a weirdo with crazy hang ups, so I imagine is isn't a gag order coming from team belew. But who knows.

Well Ade did get dropped from both NiN and KC in 2014 so he would have some right to be unhappy since he'd basically cleared his work calendar for something like a 16 months period to tour with Trent, and then not to be asked back to the KC tour... hence the Crimson Project extended tour and now the ABPT tour. Man's gotta pay bills.