Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This might be totally, totally wrong, but hasn't there been some sort of exemption to the normal uniform rules re beards while fighting in the middle east? I remember reading an article on Al Jazeera that the a lot of the locals have a hard time taking clean-shaven men seriously and it was having some effect on reconstruction efforts, so some organisations have loosened up their uniform regs to let their men be bearded. Not sure if that included the Americans though.

I've been out for a few years now but the last time I deployed in 2008 the only people who were authorized to have beards were Special Forces, which is who I was referring to when I mentioned people who would know better. People do go without shaving for a while, as the poster above mentioned but it only happens in relatively extreme situations and it's technically not authorized.

Wasabi the J posted:

What's shittier is those poor fucks that get stuck in remote places often come back to bigger bases for re-supply or whatever, and some dickhead with rank comes up to them and gives them a ration of poo poo because they equate authoritarianism with leadership.

I remember in 2003 going to Baghdad to get supplies because the LOGPAC convoy that was supposed to bring us our stuff earlier in the week had got blown up. I hadn't bathed with anything but baby wipes in 4 months because were only allotted 1.5L of water per person per day and I got yelled at by some rear end in a top hat colonel in a pressed uniform because my uniform was dirty and I had a bit of stubble. He wanted to talk to my commander, who I pointed out and I never saw him again but I can't even begin to express how bizarre and surreal the whole experience was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

kith_groupie posted:

^This is also one of the stupid conservative assumptions: Most Catholics only don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, which is only 40 days out of the year, so like, tops 5 or 6 days a year. And mostly you forget and shrug and go "whatevs". Yes, there are some hardcore super Catholics that don't do the Vatican II stuff, like they still only speak Latin at services, and women still wear veils during church, but this is such a small proportions of Catholics it's very negligible.

Yeah I know that most Catholics don't do it regularly, I was just trying to use the same dumb "logic" as these Facebook posts but I'm not Christian so I don't know of many things you could use.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

swampland posted:

...how old are you? Are you like 10?

Almost 20.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

RareAcumen posted:

Almost 20.

Why dont you know things?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Gee, mom, I'm not a kid anymore I'm 19 and a half!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RareAcumen posted:

Almost 20.

When the poster you responded to said "relatively new" they were speaking in terms of a few decades more than "every single person and lawmaker in the 90s was totally cool with the idea of beating women and children."

Or basically longer than you've been alive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

swampland posted:

Why dont you know things?

Because I'm an idiot. I never learned that beating your wife and kids was a thing! I only knew that giving your kids a spanking when they deserved it was. I mean, I know about how wives and such was pretty messed up a few centuries ago, where people would be getting married to 14 year-olds but still, I didn't think that beating your wives was an actual thing well into the 2000's. Well, I mean, I know that domestic abuse happens but I'm thinking of something else? I don't know.

Kimmalah posted:

When the poster you responded to said "relatively new" they were speaking in terms of a few decades more than "every single person and lawmaker in the 90s was totally cool with the idea of beating women and children."

Or basically longer than you've been alive.

Well, that kinda helps I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
One in three American women are victims of domestic abuse. It's kind of been everywhere in the media for the past week or so.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Still pretty popular

quote:

When administering physical discipline, take caution not to deliver the lashes anywhere but the buttocks. The first attempt at this punishment should only be delivered by hand so you can get an idea of how many lashings are needed....

... implement, such as a switch or small "hairbrush"-type paddle, over-the-knee positioning can work quite well.

A fearful wife may begin crying or pleading and find it difficult to remain still. Reassure her of your intent and love (yes this will hurt, that is why it is a punishment) then instruct her to be still. Remind her that she is not in control of this discipline. You should continue the lashing through her tears and pleas for you to stop, until you are certain the message was received. This will insure her remorse and therefore stop the undesirable behavior.

You may find it difficult to cause your wife pain, but as a woman she needs the release of guilt that this form of punishment brings. Afterwards, help her up gently and hold her while allowing her to cry for as long as you both feel necessary. If you have children instruct her to wash her face before emerging from the room.

http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Truly this is what Jesus would have wanted.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

zakharov posted:

Truly this is what Jesus would have wanted.

Turn the other cheek and beat that too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

One in three American women are victims of domestic abuse. It's kind of been everywhere in the media for the past week or so.

The thing I'm saying is that I know domestic abuse happens/happened but for some reason I didn't immediately think 'Oh right, domestic abuse. :smith: That still happens.' so it totally caught me off guard. I don't know how it happened but I'm an idiot more often than not so I'm not surprised. :downs:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
When I had a few Mormon sisters over several weeks ago, I asked why women didn't have a more prominent role in the church, not because I wanted to trap them, but because I was genuinely curious. After more than 200 years, wives aren't expected to do anything but "serve and support" their husbands and priesthood members and single women and young girls are taught how to become the perfect wife. I was explained all this by a woman in her forties who had the air of a very patient person trying to teach an especially slow child. I'm glad I got out of that religion when I did.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Because I'm an idiot. I never learned that beating your wife and kids was a thing! I only knew that giving your kids a spanking when they deserved it was. I mean, I know about how wives and such was pretty messed up a few centuries ago, where people would be getting married to 14 year-olds but still, I didn't think that beating your wives was an actual thing well into the 2000's. Well, I mean, I know that domestic abuse happens but I'm thinking of something else? I don't know.

Wait till you learn how recent the laws criminalizing marital rape are!

I'm older than my country's law (though not by much).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I always like seeing how dumb people are when a user posts a picture of a good looking woman.

That last comment especially makes me want to touch the poop but ughhhh

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

:stonk:

I would take a Ray Rice knockout blow over this deranged poo poo any day.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bonestructure posted:

:stonk:

I would take a Ray Rice knockout blow over this deranged poo poo any day.

I almost certain this is a site for couples who like some light BDSM but don't want to admit it.

Admittedly, I don't know how "My wife and I are into a fundamentalist Biblical perception of the power dynamic between husband and wife" is any better than "She likes to get spanked" but there are weirder things when it comes to sexual repression.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
(bottom-up)

I think this is the part about it I just plain don't understand. Why do people attach hateful poo poo to their real name and face so readily?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KoldPT posted:

(bottom-up)

I think this is the part about it I just plain don't understand. Why do people attach hateful poo poo to their real name and face so readily?

I found a video of a panel Anita Sarkeesian, Caroline Petit (BTW I just found out was laid off from Gamespot. That sucks, anyone know if she is working anywhere else) and one other trans woman who I don't remember the name of. She said that when we were children our parents would tell us that video games and the internet are not real and we have internalized that to mean that people we talk to online or over voice chat during games aren't real. So we can post what ever the hell we wan't online and it doesn't matter because it's not the real world.

BigRed0427 has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Sep 16, 2014

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What do you mean "we"? There are plenty of people who grew up using the Internet and somehow managed not to behave like rabid baboons on PHP. There are plenty of lifelong gamers who didn't grow up (okay, reach double digits) and join 4chan.

It is not true that misogyny and hate snowballs just happen because parents. A subset of gamers chose to immerse themselves in a culture where directing personal threats at women is laudable. These people don't threaten, en masse, to rape male reviewers. They specifically target women, and they hate getting called on it. Hence #NotYourShield. "Look, here's a woman RIGHT HERE and she doesn't mind that we sent death threats to another woman!"

[Edit: I realize that this argument was made by the panel, not by the commenter. But it's a really dumb argument.]

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What do you mean "we"? There are plenty of people who grew up using the Internet and somehow managed not to behave like rabid baboons on PHP. There are plenty of lifelong gamers who didn't grow up (okay, reach double digits) and join 4chan.

It is not true that misogyny and hate snowballs just happen because parents. A subset of gamers chose to immerse themselves in a culture where directing personal threats at women is laudable. These people don't threaten, en masse, to rape male reviewers. They specifically target women, and they hate getting called on it. Hence #NotYourShield. "Look, here's a woman RIGHT HERE and she doesn't mind that we sent death threats to another woman!"

[Edit: I realize that this argument was made by the panel, not by the commenter. But it's a really dumb argument.]

While it's true that peer groups are larger determiners of how someone ends up, parents are certainly an influence on how we see relationships and gender relations. I'd say that's certainly more of a factor than whether or not parents tell their kids games and the Internet are "real". Anyone old enough to appreciate a game can probably figure out they engage with it just like any other medium. As for the Internet, there's a whole lot more at work there than parents.

Not that they must be wrong, exactly, but you can never give absolute answers to such complicated questions.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"We now go down the line to Captain America to get his reaction. Captain?"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Yeah. I hate that too.

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

1stGear posted:

I almost certain this is a site for couples who like some light BDSM but don't want to admit it.

Admittedly, I don't know how "My wife and I are into a fundamentalist Biblical perception of the power dynamic between husband and wife" is any better than "She likes to get spanked" but there are weirder things when it comes to sexual repression.

I'm willing to believe this is purely about wifebeating. Remember the fundamental Christians that wrote a whole book about how to hit your child with a PVC pipe in the name of love and discipline? This reads pretty similarly. Some people are just unbelievably hosed up.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

1stGear posted:

I actually had a different site in mind when I was looking this up that had minsters and couples talking about their experiences but I only have a phone right now, but needless to say it's very real.

vv

Captain Candyblood posted:

I'm willing to believe this is purely about wifebeating. Remember the fundamental Christians that wrote a whole book about how to hit your child with a PVC pipe in the name of love and discipline? This reads pretty similarly. Some people are just unbelievably hosed up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Captain Candyblood posted:

To Train Up a Child?

The one-star reviews are sad and the excerpts despicable.

When dealing with a three-year old who spilled some water:

quote:

She then administers about ten slow, patient licks on his bare legs. He cries in pain. If he continues to show defiance by jerking around and defending himself, or by expressing anger, then she will wait a moment and again lecture him and again spank him. When it is obvious he is totally broken, she will hand him the rag and very calmly say, "Johnny, clean up your mess." He should very contritely wipe up the water.

When dealing with a crying 7 month old baby:

quote:

A seven-month-old boy had, upon failing to get his way, stiffened clenched his fists, bared his toothless gums and called down damnation on the whole place. At a time like that, the angry expression on a baby's face can resemble that of one instigating a riot. The young mother, wanting to do the right thing, stood there in helpless consternation, apologetically shrugged her shoulders and said, "What can I do?" My incredulous nine-year-old whipped back, "Switch him." The mother responded, "I can't, he's too little." With the wisdom of a veteran who had been on the little end of the switch, my daughter answered, "If he is old enough to pitch a fit, he is old enough to be spanked."

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are plenty of people who grew up using the Internet and somehow managed not to behave like rabid baboons on PHP.

I'm going to choose to believe that this is a brilliant and intentional pun, and not a typo.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Here: the whole book online

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I keep seeing these from the same people every other week. This is normal! Humans are loving weird and erratic! OK, there's one thing to gain from this, and that is that you shouldn't care what anyone thinks of you. But that is never the main message. I may just be bitter.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm just going to take your word for that link and not wind up on what I hope would put people on a watch list.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm going to choose to believe that this is a brilliant and intentional pun, and not a typo.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

mng posted:

I keep seeing these from the same people every other week. This is normal! Humans are loving weird and erratic! OK, there's one thing to gain from this, and that is that you shouldn't care what anyone thinks of you. But that is never the main message. I may just be bitter.

I don't get it either :shrug:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Sighence posted:

I'm just going to take your word for that link and not wind up on what I hope would put people on a watch list.

It the webarchive of their book that they published :smith: And I don't think that having "christian parenting"-- read:hitting your kid--page views would get anyone on a watch list because it is relatively popular :smith:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Because disagreeing with somebody is violating their First Amendment rights! Don't you know? Freedom of speech means I can say whatever I want with no consequences whatsoever!
Perhaps my favorite joke: How do you infringe on a straight white man's First Amendment rights? Disagree with him!

Oh wait, we're talking about domestic abuse now? Maybe I should just go sit in a corner and stare at the wall for several hours until I feel better.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

1stGear posted:

I was just about to say that this--or at least some of the excerpt that JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted--is so close to being good advice for a healthy relationship that involves D/s and BDSM activity. So very, very close, but yet so far. A friend of mine is a sub and a sex educator, and some of this stuff here, where it touches on proper striking location and the importance of aftercare, is exactly what she would say. And yet, in context... :cry:

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

To Train Up a Child?

The one-star reviews are sad and the excerpts despicable.

When dealing with a three-year old who spilled some water:

When dealing with a crying 7 month old baby:

The "most helpful" 5 star review is pretty good.

quote:

Wonderful book. So glad somebody is finally brave enough to stand up for the pro-beating-up-babies movement. For too long, those little bald bastards have been walking (or crawling) all over us decent grown folk, and I for one am sick of it. These authors give such good advice it's insane! I could sing the praises of these amazing, God-fearing baby-beaters all day, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to recommend a few other titles sure to be right up the alley of anyone who enjoys this book.

Cooking for Company - Jeffrey Dahmer
Best Christmas Ever: A Couple's Guide to the Holidays - Scott Peterson
Dog Bathing Made Easy - Michael Vick

And last but not least,

All Aboard: A Final Solution for Train Enthusiasts - Adolph Hitler

Happy reading, everybody!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Not that they must be wrong, exactly, but you can never give absolute answers to such complicated questions.

Oh yeah of course, I was just giving one example I came across.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Spalec posted:

Haha, I want some kid to do this and claim just to be doing it like the original writer did.

My high school had a flag whose colors were red, white, and black. Up until recently, the black logo was inside a white circle on a red flag.
At the end of every pep rally, we (not me though) would Bellamy salute it while the Fight Song played.
Four years at that suburban yuppo-normie incubator warehouse and no one outside my clique wore an expression of concern when everyone did the Hitler salute at the Football Flag.
Even to this day, they still heil Hitler at the Football Flag, every pep rally, every game.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yes because FDNY likes to hang around Times Square in cool shirts and caps to talk to random Legitimate Reporters about 9/11.

The one thing you're least likely to run into in Times Square is an actual New Yorker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The one thing you're least likely to run into in Times Square is an actual New Yorker.

As a native New Yorker, I can confirm this as true. Times Square is where tourists go and eat at overpriced, lovely restaurants while getting harassed by assholes dressed up like Spider Man and Elmo that want your money. I will never understand the allure that place has. The whole place is crowded every weekend. Endless dumbass tourists.

• Locked thread