Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
domt forget sling blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Did at one time in Locke, a caller id on the phone said Bastard, instead of Bethan?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

Did at one time in Locke, a caller id on the phone said Bastard, instead of Bethan?

Yes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bastard was the caller ID label for his boss.

e: Or do you mean it was actually Bethan calling but it said Bastard?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

caiman posted:

Well I thought it was, but maybe it was the boss, I will check out again

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Why do Dracula caricatures say "Blehh!"?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Why do Dracula caricatures say "Blehh!"?

Here's a list of possible origins.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Awesome! Thanks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

poo poo, now I have to check too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's loving crazy how obscure, context-specific things get isolated from their original context and float freely through pop culture, like how that nervous collar pull and "eeehhhhoooohhhh" that Jon Stewart does all the time on the Daily Show comes from a bit Johnny Carson did in 1971.

Or like how so many movie monsters in the 50s and 60s walk with their arms straight out in front of them because Frankestein's Monster goes blind in the fourth sequel to Frankenstein and so Bela Lugosi plays him with his arms stuck out to feel his way along by touch. I mean, who the gently caress even knows there were four sequels to Frankenstein or that Bela loving ended up playing the monster?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

caiman posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

poo poo, now I have to check too.

yeah it was the boss's ID

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Eggnogium posted:

I watched Blue Ruin yesterday and it reminded me of Out Of The Furnace. And Joe. And The Place Beyond The Pines. And Sun Don't Shine. And Mud. Is there a name for this subgenre of indie dramas? The common features I can think of (with some exceptions here and there) are:
- Set in rural American towns; beat up cars and abandoned industry suggest better days in the past
- Grizzled male protagonists who aren't career criminals but end up on the wrong side of the law for personal reasons
- Dreamlike, highly colorized cinematography
- Slow pacing with occasional eruptions of violence

Also is this style taking off right now have I just miss all the examples from before 2013? I guess the earliest movie I could think of that might fit is A History Of Violence.

Hellion is okay, but I really liked A Single Shot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No grizzled males, but you should watch Winter's Bone as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No grizzled males, but you should watch Winter's Bone as well.

John Hawkes is mad grizzled in that movie.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Edge of Tomorrow: Why did the general want the Major to fight in the war so badly? I can only surmise he wanted a scapegoat in case things went south? Also, why after Tom had the vision of the Louvre, didn't they just freaking shoot him in the head? Why run and risk everything? Cause drama I guess?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZenMaster posted:

Edge of Tomorrow: Why did the general want the Major to fight in the war so badly? I can only surmise he wanted a scapegoat in case things went south? Also, why after Tom had the vision of the Louvre, didn't they just freaking shoot him in the head? Why run and risk everything? Cause drama I guess?

At first the general wanted Cage to cover the action in person but when he tried to blackmail his way out the general went all "gently caress you, now we're busting you down to private and you can go die on the beach."
After he gets the vision of the Louvre he is injured and the medics give him a blood transfusion which negates his ability to loop so if he got killed after that it'd be permanent and no one would know where to find the Omega.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZenMaster posted:

The general transferred him there in retaliation for attempting to blackmail him, because he would probably get killed.

After having that vision, he was given a blood transfusion, which meant that he no longer had his powers. How it's even possible to discover that you've lost powers that only activate when you die is not addressed, but it had happened before and probably has something to do with that scientist guy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At first the general wanted Cage to cover the action in person but when he tried to blackmail his way out the general went all "gently caress you, now we're busting you down to private and you can go die on the beach."
After he gets the vision of the Louvre he is injured and the medics give him a blood transfusion which negates his ability to loop so if he got killed after that it'd be permanent and no one would know where to find the Omega.

Also because the end of the movie needs to have some stakes, and you can't really have that if your main character dying only makes him better at doing the thing he needs to do.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Thanks. Right, I get the blood thing it was just dumb to try to flee in a car when a bullet is faster. :). I think I have a few more, just need to get my thoughts straight. I did enjoy the film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the idea is that the technology they used to trace the omega may have alerted the omega that they were aware of it's presence. If it could sense the trace, it will move asap during the next loop. This would explain why they try to escape and carry out their attack in the same loop.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Can anyone explain why Mad Max is so popular? There is a lot of cool stuff going on the movie but the pacing is really awful, and everybody starts doing dumb poo poo for no reason (reminds me of Prometheus). I'm thinking the cool stuff must be what everyone remembers, and the not the 45 minutes of nothing happening, but maybe I'm missing something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sounds like a description of every movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gaggins posted:

Can anyone explain why Mad Max is so popular? There is a lot of cool stuff going on the movie but the pacing is really awful, and everybody starts doing dumb poo poo for no reason (reminds me of Prometheus). I'm thinking the cool stuff must be what everyone remembers, and the not the 45 minutes of nothing happening, but maybe I'm missing something.

It's really The Road Warrior that's massively popular, not Mad Max. And it's popular because it's basically the Star Wars of the post-apocalypse.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mad Max has a really cool vibe and some awesome car chases.

Glad we could get to the bottom of this mystery together.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I think the slack pace of Mad Max is worth it if just to provide a contrast with how hardcore the last two minutes are. (An example of an 'origin story' done right?)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Despite the fact that it will probably be awful and everyone should have reservations about it, I am looking forward to the remake/reboot/reimagining/sequel/prequel Mad Max movie.

The invention of Netflix and digital distribution seems to have been a blessing for the Documentary genre as there seems to have been a recent boom in quality docos. Is this actually the case? Are documentary film makers able to secure funding easier and make more of a living in this day an age or have there always been this many docos around and I was just unaware of them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

xcore posted:

Despite the fact that it will probably be awful and everyone should have reservations about it, I am looking forward to the remake/reboot/reimagining/sequel/prequel Mad Max movie.

The invention of Netflix and digital distribution seems to have been a blessing for the Documentary genre as there seems to have been a recent boom in quality docos. Is this actually the case? Are documentary film makers able to secure funding easier and make more of a living in this day an age or have there always been this many docos around and I was just unaware of them?

I don't know, the trailer looks loving baller

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that's why I'm pumped.

The Promethius trailer was cool too...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

xcore posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm pumped.

The Promethius trailer was cool too...

And the movie was even better. Though to try and head the argument off at the pass I find myself more interested in whoever Charlize Theron is playing versus Tom Hardy's Max.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 16, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not exactly a reboot. It's by the same director as the old films and is meant to be set somewhere between them. It was originally meant to be a Unforgiven style "Old man looking back at his violent life and getting drawn back into it" film starring Mel Gibson but somehow morphed into what is basically one long feature length car chase. I suspect Mel going a bit crazier might have something to do with them casting another younger actor in his place.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mad Max is meant to be a sort of folklore whispered about amongst the survivors the societal collapse. More a memory or a legend than a person, hence the narration - so continuity doesn't fuckin' matter.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

If that's the case I can understand why people hold Mad Max in higher regard (viewing it as an origin story). I'll have to check out the Road Warrior.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah not everybody loves Mad Max, but everybody loves The Road Warrior.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting to see the shift between the two. Mad Max is sort of a dystopian decaying society picture, where there's technically a civilization but it's increasingly falling apart. Road Warrior, all of that is gone. It's a totally different world.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's interesting to see the shift between the two. Mad Max is sort of a dystopian decaying society picture, where there's technically a civilization but it's increasingly falling apart. Road Warrior, all of that is gone. It's a totally different world.

Yeah I've always liked that where Road Warrior is the archetypal post-apocalypse movie, Mad Max is the much rarer pre-apocalypse movie. Which makes it a bit scarier, in my opinion.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I envy someone who hasn't seen The Road Warrior, I imagine it'd be like watching Come Drink With Me where every other shot you're just like "oh, that's where every subsequent film in the genre got all their poo poo from."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaggins posted:

If that's the case I can understand why people hold Mad Max in higher regard (viewing it as an origin story). I'll have to check out the Road Warrior.

Yeah, loving watch Road Warrior.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I envy someone who hasn't seen The Road Warrior, I imagine it'd be like watching Come Drink With Me where every other shot you're just like "oh, that's where every subsequent film in the genre got all their poo poo from."

I am this person.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Road Warrior is one of those rare movies I don't think I've ever heard an unkind word about, ever. Like, the closest thing is people saying "shame what happened to Mel Gibson, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Road Warrior is one of those rare movies I don't think I've ever heard an unkind word about, ever. Like, the closest thing is people saying "shame what happened to Mel Gibson, huh?"

i think it helps that it truly is a great film and definitely the best example I can think of a sequel taking everything about an original and improving it where it needs to without dropping any other of the quality.