Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

i remember the last time europe got real upset about a massive american tech company.

long story short basically nothing happened

it's basically a shakedown, no? since they only seem to find targets that have $Bs to spare and wouldn't notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

no its not a shakedown. they have 90% market share in europe so lol if u dont think thats not going to invite regulation and trust busting

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

no its not a shakedown. they have 90% market share in europe so lol if u dont think thats not going to invite regulation and trust busting

it isnt, much like nothing meaningful happened to microsoft

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cremnob posted:

no, it's not a shakedown, not really, it's just euro politicians pandering to their base

and just like fishmech says it'll be some inconsequential bullshit slap on the wrist like France did to yahoo vis a vis nazi stuff

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

i got 10 more keys of each flavor of windows in my MSDN subscription thanks to the N variants

thanks Europe! :waycool:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah and they are still going strong!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

i got 10 more keys of each flavor of windows in my MSDN subscription thanks to the N variants

sounds like a disadvantage tbh

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

oh hey cremnob's back

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

theadder posted:

sounds like a disadvantage tbh

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah and they are still going strong!

they are.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

agreed

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yes apart from the zune, surface, xbox one, windows 8, windows phone, massive layoffs and a CEO resignation it's all good??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

yes apart from the zune, surface, xbox one, windows 8, windows phone, massive layoffs and a CEO resignation it's all good??

they kinda have the money to eat failures like that for a long time

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

but not keep people employed? man I don't understand money I guess

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

you didn't see them firing a lot of upper/middle managers who likely make the majority of the money spent on payroll

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you're really stupid, wow

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

you're really stupid, wow

k

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I condemn you to read all the Microsoft threads since e3 2012.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

they bought minecraft for $2.5 billion

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
When no one was looking, Microsoft bought Minecraft. They bought it for $2.5 billion. That's as many as 2500 millions. And that's terrible.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

information has been obtained about googles self scripted driving car which got a drivers license in Nevada in 2012. apparently they got to choose the exact route and weather conditions. and a human driver had to take over control twice. on top of that the DMV test giver said the car went too slow and was too cautious.

http://readwrite.com/2014/09/16/google-driverless-car-dmv-las-vegas

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

information has been obtained about googles self scripted driving car which got a drivers license in Nevada in 2012. apparently they got to choose the exact route and weather conditions. and a human driver had to take over control twice. on top of that the DMV test giver said the car went too slow and was too cautious.

jesus christ google, how hard is it to design a self-driving car? this car only passed "with flying colors" and "dealt remarkably well with errant pedestrians, freeways, and busy intersections?" step up your goddamn game!

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

Wheany posted:

When no one was looking, Microsoft bought Minecraft. They bought it for $2.5 billion. That's as many as 2500 millions. And that's terrible.

deals biggest winner: swedish government. thanks microsoft for funding my college education.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

well they ran the test in vegas, weather conditions are kinda assumed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

i would think that "human driver has to take control" should count as automatic failure :confused:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

jesus christ google, how hard is it to design a self-driving car? this car only passed "with flying colors" and "dealt remarkably well with errant pedestrians, freeways, and busy intersections?" step up your goddamn game!
i want to preface this by saying i agree with your sarcasm but at the same time a self driving car should prob. have to drive itself the entirety of the test course in order to pass

if a human only needed a more skilled driver to take over twice during their driving test should that be considered passing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

i would think that "human driver has to take control" should count as automatic failure :confused:

the article said that the car came to a complete stop and handed over control when it encountered roads closed due to construction and didn't know what to do

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

the article said that the car came to a complete stop and handed over control when it encountered roads closed due to construction and didn't know what to do

good thing that's a really uncommon circumstance then!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

again if a human taking a driving test went into a catatonic state upon seeing a road closed barrier would the human get a passing score?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

LastInLine posted:

again if a human taking a driving test went into a catatonic state upon seeing a road closed barrier would the human get a passing score?

lmao you been out on a road lately? can you honestly tell me most people deserve a driver's license? at least the google car isn't going to be texting while in heavy traffic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

based on experience: apparently

but these things aren't allowed to be driven without a safety driver, so its actually nbd if they come to a stop and hands over control when it comes across a blockaded road or the like

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

lmao you been out on a road lately? can you honestly tell me most people deserve a driver's license? at least the google car isn't going to be texting while in heavy traffic

com.android.messages has crashed
com.android.steering has crashed
fatal error

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Verdafolio posted:

com.android.messages has crashed
com.android.steering has crashed
fatal error

drat, real fresh android burns up here. its a miracle this unrelated product was able to get out of the parking lot eh?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

drat, real fresh android burns up here. its a miracle this unrelated product was able to get out of the parking lot eh?

yeah, lol

anroid lol

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
if the google car drives all the easy roads, how will the human driver even learn to drive?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

who needs a steering wheel‽

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

theflyingexecutive posted:

good thing that's a really uncommon circumstance then!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

im not in a heavily populated place we dont have this "heavy traffic" thing

sounds like it sucks tbqh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LastInLine posted:

im not in a heavily populated place we dont have this "heavy traffic" thing

sounds like it sucks tbqh

it stinks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

prefect posted:

it stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

reminder that the system only really works on roads that have been extensively mapped and photographed and choreographed

i mean, gently caress. i want a self-driving car but google's weird insistence that the technology will be perfect from the get-go is worrying

• Locked thread