Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

SlyFrog posted:

White Russians. Dude.

Nice marmot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nm posted:

I seriously wonder about lds law students.

Crippling mmo addiction.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah, fair enough. 1Ls are still in the "do way more than we need to because we don't know what else to do" phase, so hopefully I'll start studying smarter sooner rather than later.

Realize that a big part of being a law school graduate is dickwaving about how little work you did in law school.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just got an email for a doc review job that requires a drug test to work there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alaemon posted:

Nice marmot.

I love a good Caucasian. I just restocked my bar last night and actually have all the ingredients ready to go.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just got an email for a doc review job that requires a drug test to work there.

:lol:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Do you not like wine? Like out of a glass bottle?

Bourbon and coke?

Vodka and tonic?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Realize that a big part of being a law school graduate is dickwaving about how little work you did in law school.

Then you move up to lying about how much work you do and how hard you work (except when you are telling the truth)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sir John Falstaff posted:

No matter how much or how little I studied I got a b or an a. There was never a correlation for me.

I used this to my advantage 3L when I realized the posh firm life was not to be.

To our single 1L: it's okay to study, as long as you don't brag about it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No matter how much or how little I studied I got a b or an a. There was never a correlation for me.

I used this to my advantage 3L when I realized the posh firm life was not to be.

To our single 1L: it's okay to study, as long as you don't brag about it.

I'm also a 1L this year and I'm glad you said that.

So far (so far) I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the things we're talking about and what I'm supposed to be looking for but I 100% expect to start getting into things that are actually difficult. I try to read a day ahead of the next class and review on Sundays. To the best of my abilities I don't do any constructive work on Saturday and very little on Friday night.

That said, there is at least one group in my section who is already outlining, and yes they do raise their hand and spout of ridiculous hypotheticals that miss the point of the cases (not sure if it's fair to call them gunners, most are a good deal dumber than they think they are). And there's one girl I know of who takes notes at things like guest speakers (or orientation seminars) where there is zero possible chance we will be tested. I'm talking 3 pages of notes for the "Welcome to Law School" schpeel on day 1.

So far law school isn't that much harder than undergrad so long as you can clear your schedule enough to let you actually read.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, you should probably study a lot in your 1L year, at least for the fall semester. It pretty much determines whether your life will be lovely or mega-lovely.

Worrying about being a tryhard and poo poo like that is for times when hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and your shot at gainful employment aren't on the line.

Just don't be a dick in class and ask god-awful "questions" that are actually thinly-veiled attempts at bragging.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pook Good Mook posted:

That said, there is at least one group in my section who is already outlining, and yes they do raise their hand and spout of ridiculous hypotheticals that miss the point of the cases (not sure if it's fair to call them gunners, most are a good deal dumber than they think they are). And there's one girl I know of who takes notes at things like guest speakers (or orientation seminars) where there is zero possible chance we will be tested. I'm talking 3 pages of notes for the "Welcome to Law School" schpeel on day 1.

This is pretty much textbook gunner, you nailed it, including being a lot dumber than they think they are.

You should work hard, but remember that a lot of people are doing way too much work just because it makes them feel good/secure. Many people in law school work well past the point of diminishing returns without really accomplishing anything at all. Outlining this early is silly. Start thinking about that in like November.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alaemon posted:

As good an opening as I'll get:

So I'm someone who's always disliked the taste of alcohol. However, I also hate my life and yearn for the sweet embrace of oblivion.

Is there a drink for me? (Yes, I know, cyanide, arsenic, etc.)

I don't know how you made it to being a lawyer without learning to mix drinks but there are a virtually infinite number of drinks designed to mask the taste of alcohol as much as possible.

For starters: high quality alcohol, and don't mix the drinks too strong. But what have you tried that failed?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My wife has recently gotten into making a slightly absurd rum drink. Rum, coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, ice cubes, blender. Depending on how she's feeling it's either "super-sweet creamy deliciousness with the barest hint of rum" or "super strong have a little lime in your rum oh by the way it's white because of coconut milk." Either way it's good. If you're feeling like a sorority girl add coconut rum, but don't add too much or all you can taste is sunscreen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks to law school I got into rugby and now I coach a women's rugby team

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Bold Robot posted:

You should work hard, but remember that a lot of people are doing way too much work just because it makes them feel good/secure. Many people in law school work well past the point of diminishing returns without really accomplishing anything at all.

Yes. In other words, they are preparing themselves for their lives in BigLaw.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
About half of the lectures during my orientation last year were about how we were all destined to become alcoholics (if we weren't already).
Then they had an open bar mixer.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Nichol posted:

Guys I think I am even worse at fantasy football than I am at lawyering.

And posting
Couldn't the inevitable follow-up allegations have waited until Tuesday when I could trade AD for forty cents on the dollar :mad:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

Couldn't the inevitable follow-up allegations have waited until Tuesday when I could trade AD for forty cents on the dollar :mad:

as someone who trusts in AD's running ability far more than the NFL's willingness to suspend a superstar without a video and an angry senate demanding they do so six months ago, I am delighted to offer you thirty-five cents* on the dollar

*cents are composed of canadian cents & wooden nickles only

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Alaemon posted:

As good an opening as I'll get:

So I'm someone who's always disliked the taste of alcohol. However, I also hate my life and yearn for the sweet embrace of oblivion.

Is there a drink for me? (Yes, I know, cyanide, arsenic, etc.)

Moxie and whiskey.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Yes. In other words, they are preparing themselves for their lives in BigLaw.

I really believe that a lot of the 1L law school grind is just a way of breaking down people's expectations of leading decent lives doing interesting work with a good work-life balance, so that they will be prepared for BigLaw or other lovely law work.

It's either that, or law professors propping up a needlessly stressful and byzantine method of education for no reasons other than tradition and a perverse joy in the suffering of others.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Also you need to create the illusion that it's difficult so you can charge a lot of money to learn how to do it.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

re: drinking

A friend recently went in for a health check up. As part of intake the nurse asked him how many alcoholic drinks he had each week. He said something like 8-10 and she started excortiating him for his drinking habit, just really laying into him. A few minutes later he mentions that he's a law student and she immediately said—"Oh! 8-10 drinks is quite good then. Good for you!" and then continued on with the rest of the intake questions.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Famous and Good authors, that is.

Terry Brooks is competent so he's considered a good fantasy author by some people, I guess? Including one of the bro-iest lawyers I know, but that (and the inevitable postmodern bro irony) is just a cover for still reading Terry Brooks. Me, I pretty much don't hide my growing Star Wars collection anymore. IDGAF, it buries the lede (that I went to law school).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tucker Max is also a lawyer and he's written multiple best selling books and a screenplay.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
After sitting at a desk for 12-14 hours during the day how do I convince my fat rear end to get to the gym when I just want to drink a whole bottle of Gentleman Jack so I can get some sleep?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 16, 2014

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Hit the gym before work to sweat out all the alcohol you drank from the night before.

edit:

Pook Good Mook posted:

That said, there is at least one group

Hey you found the people giving you real life examples of what you should not do unless if you want to alienate the only people you will ever be friends with again (for at least the next three years). Seeing as how you have identified these other people, that means you probably have a modicum of self awareness and can therefore avoid such pitfalls of douchebaggery. That's all it takes.

Good luck baby 1Ls.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 16, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mikeraskol posted:

After sitting at a desk for 12-14 hours during the day how do I convince my fat rear end to get to the gym when I just want to drink a whole bottle of Gentleman Jack so I can get some sleep?

Skip the weights and the running; take up MMA. Much more fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Skip the weights and the running; take up MMA. Much more fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Although I enjoy lifting also.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

Join one of those leagues where you play a dumb sport and then go drinking. Some dumb sports are surprisingly huge amounts of exercise. Then you reward yourself by drowing your sorrows.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

Although I enjoy lifting also.

I can't lift weights and kickbox. It's too drat painful.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Oh, Nova.

“We have not been good at marketing and promoting our school, and that’s what we are doing now,” Perez said. “Rather than spending many hours on a college campus, we are turning towards social media as a direct marketing campaign to get our name in front of the students so they can see us an option.”

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/09/the-candy-crush-law-school/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

I can't lift weights and kickbox. It's too drat painful.

That's why you take steroids get your doctor to prescribe you TRT.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I witnessed this conversation at the university gym in law school. I saw these exact literal words pass between sentient people directly in front of me:

To set our scene: Hot undergrad girl meets beefed-up powerlifter law student in the university gym. We join the conversation mid-hit, after she found out he's a law student

Hot Girl: So this weekend my friends and I are going to a concert. We have more room in the car if you're free, my friend was going to go but bailed out on us.

Powerlifter [all of a sudden interested]: Really? Had they already bought a ticket?

Hot Girl: No and that's another story. I bought all the tickets and everyone paid me back except her. She bailed out for some family thing.

Powerlifter [thoughtfully staring into the distance]: It's just a verbal contract, but that's still binding under the Uniform Commercial Code. There's offer and acceptance. UCC Code section...

Hot Girl [interrupting]: YEAH SO what are you doing this weekend?

Powerlifter: Oh, I'm saving my arms today because [stretches] YEP, probably going to lift several tons of lumber on my uncle's property.

Hot Girl: Wow... Ok, see you around

Powerlifter [mistaking the intent of the wow]: Sure thing. (nods to himself like he just scored)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

woozle wuzzle posted:

I witnessed this conversation at the university gym in law school. I saw these exact literal words pass between sentient people directly in front of me:

To set our scene: Hot undergrad girl meets beefed-up powerlifter law student in the university gym. We join the conversation mid-hit, after she found out he's a law student

Hot Girl: So this weekend my friends and I are going to a concert. We have more room in the car if you're free, my friend was going to go but bailed out on us.

Powerlifter [all of a sudden interested]: Really? Had they already bought a ticket?

Hot Girl: No and that's another story. I bought all the tickets and everyone paid me back except her. She bailed out for some family thing.

Powerlifter [thoughtfully staring into the distance]: It's just a verbal contract, but that's still binding under the Uniform Commercial Code. There's offer and acceptance. UCC Code section...

Hot Girl [interrupting]: YEAH SO what are you doing this weekend?

Powerlifter: Oh, I'm saving my arms today because [stretches] YEP, probably going to lift several tons of lumber on my uncle's property.

Hot Girl: Wow... Ok, see you around

Powerlifter [mistaking the intent of the wow]: Sure thing. (nods to himself like he just scored)

This is upsetting.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

woozle wuzzle posted:

Amazing

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's lesson for young attorneys in court:

1) You are not smarter than the judge. I don't care if you actually are smarter than the judge. Don't piss off the judge.
2) Listen to the judge. If the judge tells you something, listen to her and act accordingly.
3) If you're polite, the judge will 90% of the time tell you what you should be doing. Then you do it. Then you get what you want.
4) Don't talk any more than you have to. Especially if you're a plaintiff's attorney.

To add to these:
(5) stop putting 15 pages of bullshit into a 25 page motion. If you think have more than two big issues, you're probably wrong.
(6) don't reiterate what's in your brief. Spend a max of 5 mins going through the facts/argument, then let the judge ask questions and develop your position via the judge's questions. The biggest mistake I see attorneys make is drone on about the facts forever.
(7) often, the best way to begin a hearing is to talk about all the things that you and the other side agree. Instant credibility. Similarly, don't dispute things just because they're bad for your position. Admit, then flip or explain why it doesn't matter.
(8) for both your brief and oral argument, have a "stupid" version that uses the following format (this triple applies for plaintiff's attorneys):
(A) The issue is _____
(B) I should win this issue because ______
(C) the standard is ______
(D) these facts establish that my case meets this standard
(E) other party argues _____, but their position is incorrect because ____
(F) (optional) in fact, (potentially negative thing) is irrelevant/actually supports my case/is countered by ____ because ____

If you follow this format, you would be in the top 5% of attorneys I see.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Wait until you get to a point you can choose your classes. Then you'll sit next to the guy who tells you that you should have showed up for the seminar before you got in off the waitlist and THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT YOU GUYS. All other seats at the table will have been taken by this point, of course.

I think we also had one in this thread where someone got threatened they'd be reported for browsing/emailing during class.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2014

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

yronic heroism posted:

I think we also had one in this thread where someone got threatened they'd be reported for browsing/emailing during class.
Browsing/emailing would really eat into Party Poker sit-n-go time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My murdered prof first day of class said that if anyone was caught browsing facebook in class he would have them disenrolled. He never went through on that, but he did follow through on his policy of kicking people out if they weren't in the door when class started.