Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Always eat candy. Or elves if you run out of candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I want to see Buddy on a sugar high. Candypalooza.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Never pass up an opportunity for Candy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe living with the elves can teach you a healthy natural livestyle.
Nah, screw that. Let's get some candy. We need all the energy we can get if we want to hunt elves.

Also it feels weird to have the concept of German potato salad in this game. The word "German" is totally superfluous and doesn't make any sense in this setting.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Candy!

I want to see Buddy on a sugar rush

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Let's get some hottub elf-on-nature action!

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Picayune posted:

Ep. 44: Ground Control To Major Tom

:haw:

At any rate, we should go to Candypalooza.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Let's go to Elfland and save the prince!

Also, I have a feeling the cloudbank near the bottom without a chunk of visible island HAS no island and it's just there for Sam to wand up for some Reticulating Splines essence or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dungeons and Dragons is better than Candyland.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

When I marathoned this LP over the weekend, I noticed a distinct lack of medieval fantasy elements in this alleged medieval fantasy game. We need elves.

Speaking of genre-bending:

I'll bet that the only reason they named the king Roland, was so that you could talk to the man in black about Roland's quest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Candyland!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I know of a few reasons why we should hit up Candy first, all of them for the sake of enjoyment.

I never realized how far I got in this game until just now. Awesome. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm amazed that rocket actually returned. The F must really stand for rockets if he can make 'em do that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought the F stands for explosions.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

No, no you fools F stands for SCIENCE!!!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
:siren: Voting is now closed! :siren:

Next up: Sam and Co. head for Candypalooza, which may or may not turn out the way the thread envisions!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Rocket Reef

... Alexa has a last name! Wow!

Anyway: we've seen Sam uproot that poor Crystal Flower and fish up the Rightful Boot, so what's left? Well, we have a handful of Scrolls to complete! Sam mines until his poor fingers fall off--we're pretending he has fingers--and...

Alexa's reward Scroll gives us the Computers that she and Dr. F were using to control the space flight. No word on whether the self-destruct button is included.

: Let's see what we can 'cook up' with this!

Looks like we can cook up a Placesetting, a Refrigerator, a Sink, a Stove, and some Glass Tile Floor Paint! Sam's pretty much set for kitchens now.

We have one final Scroll from Rocket Reef, but it requires an Essence that we have not seen yet. Dun dun dun. Let's show Vic our small collection of action figures!

We dug up Tuffy the cow on Renee's Nature Preserve--Vic showers us in Electrobits as a reward for showing her to him.

: I'll be honest with you, though, I've got about twenty of them. They usually come free in every 12-pack of TastyCorp Cupcakes...

It's still worth an explosion of Simoleons, though! King Roland came from that hidden chest way back on Capital Island.

: I hear he lives in a remote part of the Kingdom. Like, really remote. Like, so far away you can't get there.

Tim: Mr. Not Appearing In This Game. Except for in the weeding chain on Renee's Nature Preserve. Vic gives us Mana for that one.

: His figurine is just like him... legendary! And old.

Happy Essences! We fished Chef Watanabe up on, surprise, Renee's Nature Preserve.

Speaking of collection quests, let's head back to Capital Island and show Barney our new fish. We only have two, but Barney is awesome.

: Oh.

Pause.

: How about that one?

: ...

Uh, well. Yes. Hey! Barney!

: Sam, I never seen anything like that before, but I bet it has hidden laser cannons! Be careful!

Yes, he did actually say 'I never seen'. Barney is a salty old cuss who don't play by your fancy grammar rules. He gives us Mana.

: The spikes of that guy are harder than diamonds, and he can shoot 'em out to about 100 meters distance!

And he's worth a whole bunch of Apple Essences, too! Back into the boat with us, so that Sam's buddies can have another time-wasting conversation.

: Hey, Lyndsay. What's for lunch?

: Lunch? Buddy, you just ate five cupcakes!

: I know, I just find the salt air so invigorating.

Me too, Buddy. Me too. And Sam might as well try on his new outfits while we're on the boat.

We actually stole these from the hidden chest on Rusty's desolate mesa, back on Cowboy Junction. Uh. Nice shortalls, Rusty.

ROBOT SUIT

SPACE SUIT

Night-vision goggles! Sam found these in a chest immediately after we arrived. They, of course, do nothing. And now we're all caught up again--ready for a new challenge!

Godspeed, Dr. F. :allears:

Next up: Candypalooza!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god we have to robot suit. Never not robot suit.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Night-vision goggles?

so Sam decided he wanted to be Sam Fisher huh

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

venom3053000 posted:

Night-vision goggles?

so Sam decided he wanted to be Sam Fisher huh

Official headgear until further notice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
These things are so last season.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 45: Bait And Switch

And away we go!

: Sorry, Buddy, but I did some research and there's no candy factory on Candypalooza.

what

: Man, what's a guy gotta do to get some free samples, pal?!

Shortly thereafter, we dock at the candy-less Candypalooza.

I see tikis and tiki torches. Aaaaand some kind of DJ club setup. And no candy.

The spiky-haired fellow turns around and regards us for a moment, then shrugs and goes 'enh'. I guess we'll do.

: Neat! A party! I want free cake!

And some candy!

: What's Candypalooza? Is that like a concert?

: Dude, only the sickest concert ever! It's got games, music, awesome decorations, and the one and only DJ Candy!

Really? Let's check this out!

Um.

: But... I don't see any of that...

: Oh. Yeah, we haven't set it up yet. No big deal, though.

HANDS UP IF YOU SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING

The girl with brown ponytails races over to join us.

: Relax, Sapphire, it's cool. These dudes can help us.

: Oh wow, really? That is just so totally great, you guys. I was, like, totally freaking out there and now I think maybe things will be okay. Thanks!

Totally!

... wait just a goddamn minute here <:mad:>

: If you want to help me set up the concert, just come talk to me at the main stage. If you want to help set up DJ Candy's place, go talk to Sapphire.

Zack starts to head out, then turns back.

He and Sapphire head out, leaving the three of us to confer.

NO <:mad:>

Sam shrugs and makes the 'uhh iunno' sound.

: Well, I guess we'd better help them out. We'll get some good King Points out of it, and DJ Candy DOES put on a pretty good show!

I could hold a vote to decide who to help first, but a) we just had a thread vote and b) Zack has irritated me with his unwarranted assumptions, so Sam's going to take his sweet time exploring the island and then help Sapphire first when he's done. So there. Nyah.

First: the trees on this island grow Pears and, fittingly, Musical Notes. I was hoping for some kind of candy, but nooooooo.

Since Pears and Musical Notes grow on trees here, they are also the first two steps in the weeding chain. They are followed by Sapphires (:haw:) and, finally, Simoleons.

And behind this tree, a chest!

Amidst a shower of Simoleons, a present: some new outfits!

And another chest out here on this little islet, full of Mana, Simoleons, and Sapphires.

A third chest hidden in the water!

FINALLY

SOME CANDY

GOD

Finally, up behind the stage:

Another flower for our collection! Some day we'll actually do something with these.

Once he finishes exploring the island, Sam heads back to the boat. Zack and Sapphire are both kind of... fashion-forward... so Sam's usual pig-herding outfits seem too drab. Have we got anything more appropriate?

We got a pair of swimsuits out of the first chest we opened, but that doesn't seem right...

... the shortalls have a star on the butt, they'll do. Some hair gel and we're ready to rave or whatever it was kids were doing back in 2008. Right! Let's be helpful!

Because Zack is a jerk. <:mad:>

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Sam helps someone who is not a jerk.

---

Video: Unwarranted Assumptions
Sapphire is kind of a nervous girl. Fortunately, she also has some sick dance moves.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I suppose like Dee Dee we'll come for the candy, and stay for the dancing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I was playing the Sims 3 again recently, looking at all the objects in the game and I came across this:

Oh Dr. F. :allears:

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Candypalooza is a lie :(

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I was playing the Sims 3 again recently, looking at all the objects in the game and I came across this:

Isn't there also a Superman 3 reference in there?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Picayune posted:

Ep. 45: Bait And Switch

we have been played for suckers :mad:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It doesn't even have a DJ Candy at the moment. For shame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe DJ Candy has a giant ship full of candy?

No, probably not.

We should at least get some candy paints.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In a twist of irony, the Elves turn out to be of the Keebler kind.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"Elves? No, no, we said shelves. Get to crafting!"

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh, sweet! I know there are a few MySims references here and there in the mainline games; for example, if you have Generations and you have a Sim tell a ghost story, images of Morcubus and Zombie Carl can pop up in the speech balloons. :allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 46: Behind the 8-Ball

: She HAS to have all this stuff or else she won't go on stage!

So we've got to go through and discard all the brown M&Ms. Got it.

Buddy rounds on Lyndsay.

Sam's all 'I do not know these people'.

: Quit?! Never! I'll help Sam 'til the very end, pal!!

: Well, alright, then.

: Anyway, she sent me this, like, scroll thing. Maybe it will help you build this house thing!!

Sapphire hands Lyndsay a Scroll.

Digging on Candypalooza nets us Mana, Electrobits, Sapphires, and 8-Balls. Sure, why not. In a startling coincidence, 8-Balls are also what we need to finish the last Scroll from Rocket Reef!

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

: Is... is that a monkey I see? These new wand powers are crazy!

It is a monkey! A stuffed Monkey, to be precise. (One of Marlon's Collectible Kingdom Pals, to be even more precise.) Also some Cereal Boxes, a wall-mounted Tool Set, and some Brains Paint. That is all very random. I guess Dr. F likes cereal. And brains.

Anyway, Sam digs up more 8-Balls and shakes down a bunch of Pears. Voila!

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

: I was kinda hoping we could keep the Sapphires for ourselves. They're so pretty!

Sam gets decorative Cabin Logs, a Log Cabin Door, a Wooden Platform, a Log Cabin Covered Window, a Wooden Column, a Pyramid Roof, and Candy's Natural House Paints. I guess Candy is a rustic lady at heart.

Anyway, let's build DJ Candy the log cabin of her dreams, more or less. Candy wants her cabin to be very Natural and a little Fun; Sam is pretty sure that cabins are not multi-story affairs.

And windows are good, as are wooden columns.

And some smoke. Er, decorative Cabin Logs elements plopped down very fast, one right after the other.

Finally, we convert the whole thing to straw, plop a campfire in front, and put pretty butterflies all over the thatched roof. For extra nature.

Fancy!

I totally did! Oooh, present. The game informs me that it contains rad headgear. I need to see this. Not least because I have finally realized that Sam's current ensemble makes him look like Astro Boy.

... huh. You know what, I'm going to put on that red visor. It adds such a terrible je ne sais quoi to Sam's current look.

Let's go check out the inside of the cabin!

Straightforward. Big room, small room, musical-note wallpaper.

: Here's a Scroll that shows some of her favorite stuff. Think that might help?

Fishing time!

There's only one fishing spot on Candypalooza. (And, like Renee's Nature Preserve, there are no mining spots at all.)

We can catch Bettas here!

And Squid (and the occasional Electric Eel)!

And Action Figures!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: So, what kinds of clean and natural fun things does DJ Candy like?

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I like how Buddy still hasn't given up on the candy aspect. I wonder if King Roland paid him in candy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure the whole place really is made out of candy but they've just made it look like it's not. The jerks want it all for themselves! Take a big mouthful of the ground and show them they won't make fools of us!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
(obligatory rock candy joke)

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Seyser Koze posted:

(obligatory rock candy joke)

Remember no mining spot ether :(.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Everyone's so betrayed by the lack of candy, yet the symbol for the island is clearly a pair of headphones and DJ Candy was in Agents so I don't know what people were expecting.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

GirlCalledBob posted:

Everyone's so betrayed by the lack of candy, yet the symbol for the island is clearly a pair of headphones and DJ Candy was in Agents so I don't know what people were expecting.

-Palooza ia also an addition used to reference music festivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GirlCalledBob posted:

We were expecting candy.

• Locked thread