Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just watched the firm breakup ep of the Good Wife. God drat :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

They haven't been to Japan in a few years. The last few times several went most of them did really well which is kind of the reason the started doing a yearly American version. Now they do it here instead of going over there.

Yeah, IIRC the only times they didn't do "all that well" was when Ninja Warrior was just a Japanese show on G4 that nobody heard of or cared about, and so the American entrants were G4 viewers in their teens or early 20s. Even before that I remember there being a few American regulars that usually made it at least to stage 2, like the Steiner Brothers and Paul Hamm.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

I'm going to regret asking this about Banshee, but this is pretty much the difference between me watching the rest of the show now and me watching it closer to the Season 3 premiere.

Did they kill off Siobhan at the end of S2? I heard rumblings about the finale having a brutal ending, and while I'd hate to lose some characters, she's the only one I'd be a little pissed off over losing given the show's somewhat crappy track record with women.

Just answer "Yes/No/We Don't Know" please.

Nah, they don't kill her off.

I actually feel like Banshee is pretty okay about its women, they all have a pretty significant amount of agency in the plot and they're all fairly well-developed characters. It even avoids the Strong Female Character problem that Whedon and such run into so often, because the only ones who are major shitkickers even approaching Hood are Siobhan and Nola, both of whom have characterization past "beats people up."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 16, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Yeah, IIRC the only times they didn't do "all that well" was when Ninja Warrior was just a Japanese show on G4 that nobody heard of or cared about, and so the American entrants were G4 viewers in their teens or early 20s. Even before that I remember there being a few American regulars that usually made it at least to stage 2, like the Steiner Brothers and Paul Hamm.

The last few years before American Ninja Warrior became a full blown competition of its own a lot of the guys who are the more widely known veterans now (like Brent Steffensen, David Campbell, and Paul Kasemir among others) were competing in Japan and regularly making it pretty far. During that time America Ninja Warrior was a thing but it was basically half trials and half a weird reality show/training camp thing for the Japan competition. Around the time they started doing this more and more Americans were trying out and doing really well so they just decided to go ahead and make a full American tournament.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, speaking of ANW, what happened to Kacey Catanzaro? Did she wash out in the finals?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, speaking of ANW, what happened to Kacey Catanzaro? Did she wash out in the finals?

She lost on the first stage. Which was kind of expected. She's really too short to get past a lot of the obstacles. One other taller girl made it farther than she did on that stage but eventually went out because she ran out of time.

Had she made it farther into the obstacle with the jump she would have been fine. But the obstacle curves on the outside and is farther apart. The trick is jump as far into as possible. Even fully extended she's too short to make it without a deep jump.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

American Ninja Warrior is doing their international episode again tonight, and once again the Japanese team is getting thoroughly embarrassed. Of course there is a European team this time that is beating both USA and Japan right now. Do they even air this show in Europe?

A European team featuring a Canadian.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deadpool posted:

She lost on the first stage. Which was kind of expected. She's really too short to get past a lot of the obstacles. One other taller girl made it farther than she did on that stage but eventually went out because she ran out of time.

Had she made it farther into the obstacle with the jump she would have been fine. But the obstacle curves on the outside and is farther apart. The trick is jump as far into as possible. Even fully extended she's too short to make it without a deep jump.

Yeah, I caught it live, and it looked pretty rough the way she actually plants her feet well, but too far out, and her arms aren't actually long enough to touch the sides.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

When you said Steiner Brothers all I can think about was Scott Steiner in his chain mail gear trying to compete in ANW and it just made me laugh for a minute straight. I always thought ANW was kind of lame because where does the warrior part hit, why isn't there a combat section where you fight a bunch of mooks?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

Aww jeeze, that's really unfortunate. But hopefully her success in the qualifiers will inspire them to spin off a Women Ninja Warrior show with challenges tweaked a bit so that they actually have a chance. Not saying they should be easier, of course, but just change or tweak things a bit so that things like their height or armspan doesn't immediately disqualify them from the competition.

I know that it may not be 100% PC to segrigate competitive events based on sex but I don't think there's any way to make the challenges be equal for both sexes. If the section above had been narrower the guys would have had an unfair advantage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lelandjs posted:

Aww jeeze, that's really unfortunate. But hopefully her success in the qualifiers will inspire them to spin off a Women Ninja Warrior show with challenges tweaked a bit so that they actually have a chance. Not saying they should be easier, of course, but just change or tweak things a bit so that things like their height or armspan doesn't immediately disqualify them from the competition.

I know that it may not be 100% PC to segrigate competitive events based on sex but I don't think there's any way to make the challenges be equal for both sexes. If the section above had been narrower the guys would have had an unfair advantage.

There was a women's version of the show in Japan for a while that focused more on agility and balance instead of upper arm strength. It was pretty good but didn't last very long. But you can't really expect them to make the obstacles adjustable based on height. That's just not really fair. The point is that everyone's doing the same thing. While shorter and lighter contestants have disadvantages in some areas there are also plenty where they have advantages over the bigger ones.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Not trying to sound like I'm ringing the :biotruths: bell or calling inherent sexism but I do get the feeling the courses were probably created in mind for like average strong American dood. I mean, there are women that can obviously qualify and participate but it's probably harder for them to get as far just because of actual biology determining things like average height, weight, etc. that you can't really overcome despite training.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Not trying to sound like I'm ringing the :biotruths: bell or calling inherent sexism but I do get the feeling the courses were probably created in mind for like average strong American dood. I mean, there are women that can obviously qualify and participate but it's probably harder for them to get as far just because of actual biology determining things like average height, weight, etc. that you can't really overcome despite training.

I'm probably also getting dangerously close to :biotruths: territory myself but it's generally accepted that agile, athletic women are on the shorter side of things (notible exception: women's basketball, for obvious reasons). In the past 60 years, 78% of Olympic Gymnasts were within three inches of five feet tall.

Watching Kacy excel at the qualifier was loving exilerating, and to have her fail so desperately and in a way she didn't deserve is, quite frankly, depressing.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the course designers/the show/whatever for it. I'm not going full Tumblr ableist "stupid man pigs, how dare they only design a course for men" over here. But I would love a show for Kacy and women like her to show how incredibly badass and amazing they are.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Anyway, that's a very complicated discussion that I'm ill-equipped to talk about despite having a B.Sc in human biology, but I do agree, I hope that from Kacy's run there is something good to come out of it designed closer for women (and I suppose like more agile men as well, perhaps).

Also thanks to Bryan Fuller for exploding my twitter feed with High Moon stuff. I'll get around it eventually. Still can't believe SyFy of all people decided to pass on an actual science fiction thing, by Bryan Fuller no less. If it's not complete and utter poo poo then I don't know what's wrong with SyFy (there's plenty wrong).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You have to keep in mind that Hannibal is pretty much the first and only Bryan Fuller show not to get horribly hosed over in some way or another. Dude doesn't have a fantastic track record on paper, so I can see why Syfy would pass, even if I wish they didn't.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Maybe it's for the best that Fuller isn't distracted from Hannibal?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He's going to be the showrunner for American Gods, isn't he?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boardwalk Empire continues to be the prettiest show. Every single second looks expensive and shot like a movie. It really could have been one of the best dramas.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Also thanks to Bryan Fuller for exploding my twitter feed with High Moon stuff. I'll get around it eventually. Still can't believe SyFy of all people decided to pass on an actual science fiction thing, by Bryan Fuller no less. If it's not complete and utter poo poo then I don't know what's wrong with SyFy (there's plenty wrong).

Apparently it was dropped because its plot was too complicated. Guess Syfy just prefers pandering to idiots. At least they still bothered to air the pilot.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Boardwalk Empire continues to be the prettiest show. Every single second looks expensive and shot like a movie. It really could have been one of the best dramas.

I would say it is one of the best dramas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's really good but it's hard for me to go back to the early seasons with Jimmy and Paz de la Huerta. Gyp Rosetti was terrible. And the whole nonsense with the Pinkertons later on just sour me on parts of the show. I almost wish the show wasn't called Boardwalk Empire because the best parts are when it's in Chicago or New York. And Cuba is looking really promising.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 16, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

He's going to be the showrunner for American Gods, isn't he?

That honor belongs to Michael Green (Kings).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's really good but it's hard for me to go back to the early seasons with Jimmy and Paz de la Huerta. Gyp Rosetti was terrible. And the whole nonsense with the Pinkertons later on just sour me on parts of the show. I almost wish the show wasn't called Boardwalk Empire because the best parts are when it's in Chicago or New York. And Cuba is looking really promising.

Spoiler: Castro.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

There was a women's version of the show in Japan for a while that focused more on agility and balance instead of upper arm strength. It was pretty good but didn't last very long. But you can't really expect them to make the obstacles adjustable based on height. That's just not really fair. The point is that everyone's doing the same thing. While shorter and lighter contestants have disadvantages in some areas there are also plenty where they have advantages over the bigger ones.

There are several adjustable obstacles actually. The Jumping Spider just isn't one of them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

That honor belongs to Michael Green (Kings).

American Gods is a mediocre at best novel

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, she didn't have a chance at that spider jump, she was pretty much doing a full split as it was and still couldn't clear the width.
I thought they at least used to adjust the width of obstacles like that between contestants. Maybe that's just the Japanese version where they do that.

I hope ANW is popular enough that NBC decides to make a US version of Kinniku / Unbeatable Banzuke. I would watch the poo poo out of that. Every week. And let's face it, NBC can't really afford to turn ideas away right now.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 16, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Judd Apatow is creating a new Netflix show. http://deadline.com/2014/09/judd-apatow-comedy-series-netflix-paul-rust-gillian-jacobs-star-829825/

The premise sounds bland as poo poo -- Paul Rust (who co-created), Gillian Jacobs, something something commitment issues -- but I always trust the artist over the premise. They've already given it two seasons; it'll go up in 2016.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want 2 seasons of anything with Paul Rust in my brain, stat

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is anyone else watching the Roosevelt's on PBS, it's the best Ken Burns documentary in years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

Is anyone else watching the Roosevelt's on PBS, it's the best Ken Burns documentary in years.

I started it, it's pretty good stuff.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

I started it, it's pretty good stuff.

You can also watch the whole thing streaming on PBS for if your bored at work.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

lelandjs posted:

Isn't this the exact reason why all track and field records (and sports in general, too) are separated by sex? If you had one big list there probably wouldn't be any women on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

Second time in a week I'm agreeing with Occupation.

What the HELL, you guys. The acid wore off two DAYS ago.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Toxxupation posted:

The idea of American Gods is great, everything else about it sucks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Toxxupation posted:

Maybe, but I like the trope of old gods just milling around modern society; too bad that Gaiman can never land a good ending.

Especially something as good as Sandman where there is a lot of great poo poo in it and then the ending is blaaaaaah.

Also owning American Gods is worth it when your parents pick it up and read it and then come back to you going "What the hell did I buy you?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Second time in a week I'm agreeing with Occupation.

What the HELL, you guys. The acid wore off two DAYS ago.

Well you know what they say about broken clocks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe, but I like the trope of old gods just milling around modern society; too bad that Gaiman can never land a good ending.

Especially something as good as Sandman where there is a lot of great poo poo in it and then the ending is blaaaaaah.

Also owning American Gods is worth it when your parents pick it up and read it and then come back to you going "What the hell did I buy you?"

My mom keeps telling me I'd like that book. I keep telling her it's boring as hell.

As for modern gods in present day, just watch Stargate again!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Well you know what they say about broken clocks.

They're the perfect blunt instrument to hit Occ and Precision with until they come around?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

They're the perfect blunt instrument to hit Occ and Precision with until they come around?

Except they're not wrong. Though to be fair I've never really cared for Gaiman at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Except they're not wrong. Though to be fair I've never really cared for Gaiman at all.

I haven't even read past the first few pages; I just couldn't resist the joke.

• Locked thread