Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm gonna spend my time defending people who make flash cyoa

I think it's good that we have games on Steam that are willing to tackle the serious issues, such as which buttons you should click to solve your mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Gunslinger posted:

Some publisher dispute or something? I wanted to check it out long ago but totally forgot about it.

Can't remember, but it's been off Steam for awhile. Published by CodeMasters and developed by MercurySteam, better known for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I can't see either of them having a problem with it, so maybe Barker did something?

Seriously though, don't sweat it. The team mechanic is cool and some of the late-game levels are neat, but it's mostly whittling away at bullet sponges in and around the dullest levels you've ever seen. The first half of the game is basically brown desert -> brown trenches -> brown castles.

Go over to GOG and get Undying instead, it's legit.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

I think it's good that we have games on Steam that are willing to tackle the serious issues, such as which buttons you should click to solve your mental illness.

To accurately depict depression you should have to complete a QTE everyday to avoid slamming your car into a car rail

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

To accurately depict depression you should have to complete a QTE everyday to avoid slamming your car into a car rail

Not every depressed or depressive-identifying person can drive, you ableist rear end in a top hat.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

risk of rain 2.50 today in the humble store

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

King Vidiot posted:

...and this. Everybody get Postal 2, it's like 3 bucks now and on Steam you can get some great Workshop mods like the Airmail mod, Ultimate Sandbox Mode, ED Extra Weapons (tons of stuff from Eternal Damnation that were left out of A Week in Paradise), and some decent maps.

Hey thanks for actually answering my question, I appreciate it!

Is the mp terrible /dead out actually OK?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Luisfe posted:

You should watch the Overgrowth beta vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwAOxrBCeY

Too bad it's never going to become anything resembling a game before we all turn old and wrinkly. Lugaru (the "prequel", a pompous name for another game in this "series") is barely a tech demo and this one has been in development since 2008 :psyduck: It could very well become the next Cortex Command, the dude's been at it for 10 years and the resulting game sucks.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

HardDisk posted:

I got the code prompt when I tried pairing my phone, but it doesn't show up when I try to connect the DS4.

Besides, where did you set up the code? IIRC, the code was pre-entered.

I was trying and failing miserably getting the BT adapter in my Intel wireless card to work. It would connect to the controller for all of 30 seconds then disconnect. I think I got my phone connected to it but then I couldn't do anything with it so I gave up, went to Microcenter, and bought an Asus BT400 they had an open box on for $12, and it connected to the controller right away. Keeping it in the back of my case led to some delays with inputs but it's been at the front and been working perfect for me. Just beat MGR:R with my DS4.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm gonna spend my time defending people who make flash cyoa

What a coincidence, I thought it might be fun to attack people who defend people who make flash cyoa.

Except, when I type it out like that it looks silly. I'm gonna just say I'm "fighting the corruption rampant in games journalism".

Yeah that sounds much better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Too bad it's never going to become anything resembling a game before we all turn old and wrinkly. Lugaru (the "prequel", a pompous name for another game in this "series") is barely a tech demo and this one has been in development since 2008 :psyduck: It could very well become the next Cortex Command, the dude's been at it for 10 years and the resulting game sucks.

What's there in Overgrowth is actually pretty good, but it's hardly a game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

What's there in Overgrowth is actually pretty good, but it's hardly a game.

Most of the lovely indie games and rogue-alikes people play and are all the rage are nothing but lovely art and lovely systems. Lugaru has both in spades.

It's as much a game as any of those.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Harminoff posted:

Is the mp terrible /dead out actually OK?

I assume we're still talking about Postal 2 here, and it's pretty much dead. They even fixed the MP and made it separate from GameSpy recently, still didn't really make a difference. Maybe it's picked up with all the word-of-mouth and Steam sales, I couldn't say, I never even bother to check to see if anybody's playing.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, the key thing is that women should start being portrayed as human beings more often in games. That's it, it's not complicated. Some games can show off the titties, some games can have women doing awesome poo poo in conservative clothing. Hell, maybe other games can have hunky man-twinks in revealing clothing doing acrobatic poo poo while they fire their phallic guns at waves of enemies. You know, something for everyone!

Play Saints Row 4, and combine all these features into one.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Joshlemagne posted:

What a coincidence, I thought it might be fun to attack people who defend people who make flash cyoa.

Except, when I type it out like that it looks silly. I'm gonna just say I'm "fighting the corruption rampant in games journalism".

Yeah that sounds much better.

Lol if you think I give a quantum fraction of a gently caress about anything relating to video games up to and including "journalism" or "culture"

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
My favorite times in this thread are always when the same handful of GBS posters show up to shitpost :allears:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The only thing games are good for are wasting the agonizingly long hours of the day until I can get in bed again and pretend I'm dead.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Should I buy Shadowrun Returns if I don't know a thing about Shadowrun but like the new X-Com and also Baldur's Gate 2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Technetium posted:

Should I buy Shadowrun Returns if I don't know a thing about Shadowrun but like the new X-Com and also Baldur's Gate 2.

You should wait for this http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ as it improves the vanilla game in various ways (also has a good campaign).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Terminally Bored posted:

You should wait for this http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ as it improves the vanilla game in various ways (also has a good campaign).

Welp, that explains why the Dragonfall DLC isn't discounted at all.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Terminally Bored posted:

Should I also play Returns since it is $4?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Humerus posted:

I was trying and failing miserably getting the BT adapter in my Intel wireless card to work. It would connect to the controller for all of 30 seconds then disconnect. I think I got my phone connected to it but then I couldn't do anything with it so I gave up, went to Microcenter, and bought an Asus BT400 they had an open box on for $12, and it connected to the controller right away. Keeping it in the back of my case led to some delays with inputs but it's been at the front and been working perfect for me. Just beat MGR:R with my DS4.

Yeah, this sounds really close to what's actually happening to me. I have no problems in buying another one if it comes down to it. Thanks for the link. :)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Technetium posted:

I thought it sucked and was boring but people seem to like it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

I'd say the base campaign is certainly worth $3.50. I haven't finished Dragonfall yet, but it's considerably better so far. Unfortunately not on sale at the moment though. At least the base game would let you know if you hate the style/gameplay before dropping $15 on Dragonfall.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You don't need to know a thing about Shadowrun to enjoy Returns. I also don't think the main campaign is as bad as people make it out to be, but it definitely pales next to Dragonfall.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kanfy posted:

You don't need to know a thing about Shadowrun to enjoy Returns. I also don't think the main campaign is as bad as people make it out to be, but it definitely pales next to Dragonfall.

The thing is that Dead Man's Switch is basically 'My First Shadowrun Adventure'. It's an entry-level campaign that introduces the very basics of the setting (almost every character lets you ask stupid questions like 'What's a troll?' and 'Aren't orcs evil?' without them punching your head off your shoulders) and builds up from there, dropping in a few references to the SNES game along the way and ending with the start of one of the big world-events from the RPG sourcebooks. It's a good introduction for newbies, but it's not exactly deep.

Dragonfall is serious high-level Shadowrun stuff, set in politically interesting part of the world, with complex factions and agendas bouncing off each other all over and some pretty deep characterization. For serious RPG fans who already know at least the basics, it's a far better campaign, but I really don't get behind the folks who think that the original release was an unplayable trainwreck. It worked fine as an introductory piece, and I hope that some fans do an unofficial Director's Cut version of it with the new Dragonfall toolset.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Play on Classic (ironman optional but encouraged) - easy/normal cheat in your favour and will teach bad habits.
Or just always play on Easy or Normal, nobody gives a gently caress :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dominic White posted:

The thing is that Dead Man's Switch is basically 'My First Shadowrun Adventure'. It's an entry-level campaign that introduces the very basics of the setting (almost every character lets you ask stupid questions like 'What's a troll?' and 'Aren't orcs evil?' without them punching your head off your shoulders) and builds up from there, dropping in a few references to the SNES game along the way and ending with the start of one of the big world-events from the RPG sourcebooks. It's a good introduction for newbies, but it's not exactly deep.

Dragonfall is serious high-level Shadowrun stuff, set in politically interesting part of the world, with complex factions and agendas bouncing off each other all over and some pretty deep characterization. For serious RPG fans who already know at least the basics, it's a far better campaign, but I really don't get behind the folks who think that the original release was an unplayable trainwreck. It worked fine as an introductory piece, and I hope that some fans do an unofficial Director's Cut version of it with the new Dragonfall toolset.

Speaking of the old SNES game, hearing bits and pieces of its soundtrack in Returns' music was a nice touch. The final boss music especially is pretty great if you've played it years ago.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The White Dragon posted:

Or just always play on Easy or Normal, nobody gives a gently caress :v:
Seriously. Normal is 'I just want to chill and shoot aliens without worrying about balancing everything' It's perfectly acceptable to play and enjoy that. The only problem is it is a bad mode to ease you into the harder ones. If you're looking to start at normal and later play the harder ones you do have to unlearn bad habits and might as well just go straight to classic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A bunch of really bad posts and poor trolling, good job

Humble Store deals today

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (uPlay) - $13.33
Walking Dead Season 2 - $12.49
Risk of Rain - $2.49
Darksiders II - $5.99
Mount & Blade With Fire & Sword - $0.99
Jet Set Radio - $1.24
Pixeljunk Shooter - $1.34
Where Is My Heart - $5.99
Full Mojo Rampage - $6.49
Game Dev Tycoon - $5.99
Cubetractor - $0.99

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huge anime tits are very serious business

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So how's the Sakura Spirit discussion going since like 12 hours ago.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sooooo... Derek Smart's MMOFPS is out today. And it's free to play. I'd always thought it was vaporware, at least judging by that hilariously stiff old trailer with the janky post-production special effects.

I am downloading it with a sense of deep trepidation and no small measure of morbid curiosity.

Edit: Seriously, watch that trailer. It's like Thunderbirds levels of awkwardness.

Edit: Blaaaargh. They let people download it, THEN closed off the early access to people buying founders packs. The cheapest being £30. I can't really afford to throw that at a Derek Smart MMO right now. Hell, I don't think I even have £30 right now.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 16, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Jet Set Radio - $1.24
Amazing game, works really well with a controller on PC.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They (steam) got some deals on those rpg maker games. Skyborn and the like. I've heard Skyborn or Skybound or whatever was supposed to be a pretty good entry into the genre. I then realized I owned it from that last Humble Bundle where I picked up RPG Ace Maker for 4 bucks. :laugh:

I haven't opened or even installed any of them yet. :negative:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
GameFly is selling their digital download service to AtGames. Considering I still never got access to all the games I bought on Direct2Drive when they got sold to Gamefly, I'm not looking forwards to this transition.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lots of CK2 DLC on sale at gamefly along with some other paradox stuff http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/promotion/628

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Darkhold posted:

Seriously. Normal is 'I just want to chill and shoot aliens without worrying about balancing everything' It's perfectly acceptable to play and enjoy that. The only problem is it is a bad mode to ease you into the harder ones. If you're looking to start at normal and later play the harder ones you do have to unlearn bad habits and might as well just go straight to classic.

I just wish there was an option to play with the enemy stats and other benefits of Normal, but with the full AI of Classic and above. The restricted AI is what becomes boring the quickest on Normal and also the single biggest obstacle to transitioning to harder modes, since it will allow you to do dumb things with fewer repercussions.

The Long War mod on the easiest difficulty pretty much fills this niche, and gives you a lot more toys to play with as well. Be prepared to look up info/advice on a few obtuse new mechanics, but the mod's few downsides really aren't bad unless you're playing on higher difficulties.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Bejeweled 3 free on Origin.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Clive Barker's Jericho has perhaps the worst ending I've ever seen in a video game.

You mean like the final boss to Clive Barker's Undying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Malek posted:

You mean like the final boss to Clive Barker's Undying?

Except Undying was pretty great back in teh day, while Jericho just kinda sucked throughout, regardless of time.

• Locked thread