Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hubris.height posted:

When P4 first came out I got to Naota's dungeon and never beat it.

Now this year I am playing P4G because I always regretted not finishing the game. I'm using a guide to max social links, but should I just abandon it and have fun? And if I do abandon it, what links are neccessary for extra content (I was led to believe that Marie led to more content...?) and what links become non-completable in the first run (Jester, I'm assuming?).

The guide is real nice cause it also lets me know the days when quests come up and what books become available and mini-events, but if none of it matters at all for first run I'm willing to cut ties with it in June.
If you're having fun doing what you're doing by all means keep doing it. As for important links, party members, aeon, jester, dojima, and Bamako for story. Hermit and Tower for gameplay and good personas. And Strength, sun and temperance for social stats. Or you could just ignore moon, hanged man, and death like I usually recommend for a first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How high on the bullshit scale of P4 is Rise's dungeon? I just got through it, and it was mostly awful, especially the enemy formations with enrage-all and a bunch of physical-resistant hitters.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

hubris.height posted:

When P4 first came out I got to Naota's dungeon and never beat it.

Now this year I am playing P4G because I always regretted not finishing the game. I'm using a guide to max social links, but should I just abandon it and have fun? And if I do abandon it, what links are neccessary for extra content (I was led to believe that Marie led to more content...?) and what links become non-completable in the first run (Jester, I'm assuming?).

The guide is real nice cause it also lets me know the days when quests come up and what books become available and mini-events, but if none of it matters at all for first run I'm willing to cut ties with it in June.

Well, you can max all the links on a first playthrough, it's just stricter to do so without being on NG+.

If you just want to see all the content and stuff there's nothing wrong with following a guide to see it all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SelenicMartian posted:

How high on the bullshit scale of P4 is Rise's dungeon? I just got through it, and it was mostly awful, especially the enemy formations with enrage-all and a bunch of physical-resistant hitters.

Not at all? Like it's actually pretty easier. A lot of enemies are Zio-weak and they just handed you a glowing lightning god for a party member. You might be under leveled.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Well, you can max all the links on a first playthrough, it's just stricter to do so without being on NG+.

If you just want to see all the content and stuff there's nothing wrong with following a guide to see it all.

Yeah, I really don't want to run through such a text-heavy game twice. Thanks, I'm glad to hear I can see it all first time through.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

hubris.height posted:

Yeah, I really don't want to run through such a text-heavy game twice. Thanks, I'm glad to hear I can see it all first time through.

You get a fast forward button for cutscenes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

hubris.height posted:

If you would prefer to just read some of them without chasing them down ingame, some dude transcribed all the S-Link scenes here.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Blhue posted:

Even with fast-forward some of those longer scenes can take a while to fast-forward through. I'd really like to do it all in one go if that is possible. I don't want to fast forward through 97% of a game to get at the 3% only available on replay.

projecthalaxy posted:

If you would prefer to just read some of them without chasing them down ingame, some dude transcribed all the S-Link scenes here.

Thanks! Is there content only available in NG+? I feel like I haven't gotten a straight answer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Even with fast-forward some of those longer scenes can take a while to fast-forward through. I'd really like to do it all in one go if that is possible. I don't want to fast forward through 97% of a game to get at the 3% only available on replay.

Thanks! Is there content only available in NG+? I feel like I haven't gotten a straight answer.

I think some of the secret ultrabosses are, and you can only get the True Final Ultimate Persona++ from NG+, but none of the S-Links or anything like that are, to my knowledge.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hubris.height posted:

There is a bonus boss and persona.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Besides a persona and one late game boss fight, no

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Yeah forget that, not worth playing through an 80 hour game again through.

I got other SMT games to finish, still.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

I get what they were going for with that but they really should have let you actually skip cutscenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The opening still takes about an hour even with the fast forward button, it's ridiculous.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is it possible to give ubelluris ice boost in P3?

Also, can you skip to the answer in fes if you have a new game+ save from the original? I really dont feel like replaying this game for a third time yea thanks

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 17, 2014

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Race Realists posted:

Also, can you skip to the answer in fes if you have a new game+ save from the original? I really dont feel like replaying this game for a third time yea thanks

http://arantius.com/misc/persona-3-fes-fusion-calculator/#/list/name

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Race Realists posted:

The Answer is separate from the main game, you don't need/can't use a save file from the original with it.
e: If you play the Answer, be sure to use and level up the new character a lot

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars and more ATLUS games will be on sale at 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 22 through 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 29 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

So that's pretty neat, I guess.

Source:http://www.computerandvideogames.com/477066/us-nintendo-eshop-update-smash-bros-3ds-demo-theatrhythm/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory:

Conception II isn't Persona, it's a dating sim smashed with a bland RPG. There's a free DLC where you can fight Monokuma.

I think they put all the budget into music and forgot to update the game engine from the first one. They put an artificial limit on character interaction that can be reset by selecting a "rest" option in the dorm or entering/exiting a dungeon so you don't have to play it multiple times. Eventually you have to complete a dungeon and/or classmate to move on the character's stories but there's a lot of story content in between.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Of course the Mitsuru and Yosuke trailers are released together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimTRIta7aU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiHshsphEE

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Makes sense. They're the canon waifus, after all :colbert:

EDIT: Man watching these trailers together it becomes hilariously apparent how much more believable the P4 cast is as characters than any of the S.E.E.S members.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 19, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

During P3 itself, I don't think any of the SEES underclassmen (Aigis excepted) were that unbelievable. I mean Minato/ko is a cipher like Narukami, Junpei is roughly Yosuke's level of schmuck, and Yukari isn't too weird to fit in the same box as Chie or Yukiko. The seniors were all a bit strange, though I'd say Naoto is competitive with any of them in the "this is not an actual person" race.

Post-timeskip P4A SEES, yeah those guys are freaks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SEES was a little shallow, but they did have better character arcs (ie, they had one at all). They just weren't as believable as people. I'm willing to give the dog and the robot the benefit of the doubt on this one though.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I didn't see it posted anywhere else here, so, it looks like the Persona presentation in TGS will be tomorrow at 14:30 Japan time...or tonight 1:30 AM EST and 5:30 AM GMT
Get hyped for an hour of stripping and Teddie groping

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

During P3 itself, I don't think any of the SEES underclassmen (Aigis excepted) were that unbelievable. I mean Minato/ko is a cipher like Narukami, Junpei is roughly Yosuke's level of schmuck, and Yukari isn't too weird to fit in the same box as Chie or Yukiko. The seniors were all a bit strange, though I'd say Naoto is competitive with any of them in the "this is not an actual person" race.

I dunno, Yukari had the whole dead dad murdered by monster in super conglomerate's top secret lab. And Ken had a similar deal. Shinji was a weirdo fantasy drug user being hounded to join a magical hit squad, and there also was a Pretty Teenage Girl Robot and a sentient Dog.

Manatee Cannon posted:

SEES....but they did have better character arcs

Hahaha. Funny joke.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Also the character arcs of 'maybe I should be less of a dick' and 'sexual identity is hard' are more believable and interesting character arcs for high school kids than 'my dad invented satan and died and I hate you' or 'my dad funded the invention of satan and died and I hate you more'.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Persona 4 had no character arcs, period. They were fixed from the moment you recruited them and that was the end of that. It's one of the very few areas where I feel Persona 3 did it better.

edit: except for maybe Teddie I guess, he had an arc across the game rather than being one way pre recruitment and another after. They really shouldn't have locked 90% of the character development behind the s-links but oh well.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 19, 2014

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Manatee Cannon posted:

Persona 4 had no character arcs, period. They were fixed from the moment you recruited them and that was the end of that. It's one of the very few areas where I feel Persona 3 did it better.

edit: except for maybe Teddie I guess, he had an arc across the game rather than being one way pre recruitment and another after. They really shouldn't have locked 90% of the character development behind the s-links but oh well.

I feel like the only reason for that was because 4's were stuck in a vacuum outside of the main plot. Whereas 3's were story-based epiphanies. Again as you mentioned Teddie breaks this because his is story based.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Persona 4 had no character arcs, period. They were fixed from the moment you recruited them and that was the end of that....They really shouldn't have locked 90% of the character development behind the s-links but oh well.

So wait, does it have no character arcs or does it have a lot that are locked behinds S-Links? Those are kind of mutually exclusive arguments.

Regardless I'd rather have them put into S-Links than have them be hilariously melodramtic and terrible like P3's entire casts' Like Authorman said

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The story has no character arc. The s-links are not part of the story.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Its a mix. They have some before due to the nature of how they get personas in that game, but the rest of it is during their slink.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P4's approach is fine, they just need to have more hooks in the story where scenes or dialogue change depending upon the levels of your party members' S. Links.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

First of all they are but whatever, secondly I much rather have the character development be part of the subsystem the game designers put in that focused on one-on-one character moments between you and those characters than shoe horned into the main story in the dumbest ways like half of P3's cast.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not fine because the characters remain completely flat and one dimensional for every scene outside their s.link. Literally none of them act ANY different before or after their dungeon even (besides like Rise)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Play as the female main character and you get arcs in both story AND Social Links!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's not fine because the characters remain completely flat and one dimensional for every scene outside their s.link. Literally none of them act ANY different before or after their dungeon even (besides like Rise)

And Kanji who really does relax and open up more around the entire cast. And Yosuke who finds a real purpose and starts to enjoy life in Inaba more. Or Yukiko who helps you in facing problems head on instead of hiding away trying to run from everything.

Like the entire reason they're joining you in the fight are their turns thanks to facing their shadow-selves. The S-Links just go on to smaller, more focused changes that just refine the big change post dungeon. They're all handled waaaay better than any of the P3's casts big moment (Save Junpei) where they're One Flat character for the first 70% of their screen time, have a big cry, then they're a new flat character for the last 30%.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

First of all they are but whatever, secondly I much rather have the character development be part of the subsystem the game designers put in that focused on one-on-one character moments between you and those characters than shoe horned into the main story in the dumbest ways like half of P3's cast.

"You saved me thanks bro" you have achieved rank 1

The sub plot of the s-link is never touched on outside of itself, ever. Outside of Teddie, the cast is static once you've recruited them. Though Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko are kinda the same before and after.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're not at all. Yukiko in particular is pretty different before-and-after and actually starts opening up and making terrible jokes and being a dork while previously she was a ~pure refined yamato nadeshiko~.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

You do still have minor things like Yosuke being a shithead to Kanji during the camping trip, to casually joking with him during summer break, and then saying absolutely nothing about sleeping in the same room with him on the night of 10/30.

Terper posted:

Play as the female main character and you get arcs in both story AND Social Links!

I don't think this is a valid solution really, because a lot of the social links in P3 felt like they were just faffing around doing nothing. I feel like if you decided to swap the ranks around, I would not be able to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I liked Mitsuru until she learned Megidolaon just to gently caress with me at the end of The Answer.

edit: Yukari did the same thing but she's always been a bit of a jerk sometimes