Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Battering rams had ram-shaped heads all the time though?

E: oh god loving dammit

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hup posted:

Battering rams had ram-shaped heads all the time though?

Ram Jets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

Jack Kirby makes a bad pun in Kamandi #5.

He-Man/ThunderCats crossover has moved to the top of my "things I wish Kirby could've done" list.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Say Nothing posted:

Random unsourced weirdness.

Why hello there Telly Savalas what are you AIIIE MY NOSE!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Say Nothing posted:

Random unsourced weirdness.

I'd rather see the speech bubble coming from the shoe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ms. Marvel #6 By Jake Wyatt.
This version of Ms. Marvel sure has interesting powers.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Man, Ms. Marvel wondering if she can "soak a 20 foot drop" is way nerdier than whatever meme people got up in arms about earlier in the thread.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe the picture itself isn't so spectacular, but I love Chris Sims's writing so much. Time Warner and Disney should send him big sacks of money for making comics so much fun.

OH MY GOD, IT’S THE ENFORCERS I LOVE THE ENFORCERS SO MUCH LET’S TALK ABOUT FANCY DAN FOR THE NEXT THREE HOURS OH MY GOD.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Look, villains were simpler in the 60s. You had your bumbling mobsters, your hot-paste shooting guys, guys who got really really tall with stilts, radioactive men, and your ex-Nazi scientists who turned themselves into swarms of bees.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Red posted:

Look, villains were simpler in the 60s. You had your bumbling mobsters, your hot-paste shooting guys, guys who got really really tall with stilts, radioactive men, and your ex-Nazi scientists who turned themselves into swarms of bees.

What about swarms of bees that turned themselves into ex-Nazi scientists?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who What Now posted:

What about swarms of bees that turned themselves into ex-Nazi scientists?

70's villain. Late 70's, no less.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

70's villain. Late 70's, no less.

I guess that makes sense. The Boys from Brazil was printed in 1976, and Swarm appeared in 1977.

We'll just replace The Swarm with The Beetle, since both are bug guys, and The Beetle's thing was that his original suit was really clunky and had suction cups. So there you go.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

I guess that makes sense. The Boys from Brazil was printed in 1976, and Swarm appeared in 1977.

Marathon Man was published in 1974, and the movie came out in 1976.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

prefect posted:

Marathon Man was published in 1974, and the movie came out in 1976.

Yeah, but Boys had the South American Nazi scientist thing, which is what Swarm is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Red posted:

Never forget Human Torch villain Asbestos Man. Wonder how he's doing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

Yeah, but Boys had the South American Nazi scientist thing, which is what Swarm is.

South American Nazi scientist, South American Nazi dentist. Potayto, potahto. :D

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

Don't forget the Asbestos Lady!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I believe Ozymandias has a job for her.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

PFlats posted:

Man, Ms. Marvel wondering if she can "soak a 20 foot drop" is way nerdier than whatever meme people got up in arms about earlier in the thread.
It was waved away in a prior issue as her having played RPGs a bunch when younger... that, and healing factor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think it's "waved away", that's just how she thinks/talks, because she's a nerd.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
People getting angry at memes showing up offline are in for a tough time, they're not some niche internet thing any more they're part of mainstream pop culture. They're even making TV movies about them.

So best to grit your teeth when someone writing a teenager has them reference Scumbag Steve or the like, maybe think of it as something akin to Luke Cage going on about Christmas back in the day and hope for it to pass.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Die Laughing posted:

He was in a Fear Itself tie-in story where he fought the Great Lakes Avengers. All I remember is that they all kept their distance and nobody would step up to actually fight him.

"Mr. Immortal, you can't die. You do something!"

"That doesn't mean I want to get cancer!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gavok posted:

He was in a Fear Itself tie-in story where he fought the Great Lakes Avengers. All I remember is that they all kept their distance and nobody would step up to actually fight him.

"Mr. Immortal, you can't die. You do something!"

"That doesn't mean I want to get cancer!"

"I mean, look at Deadpool. *He* can't die, but he's basically cancer that can walk and talk."

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

People getting angry at memes showing up offline are in for a tough time, they're not some niche internet thing any more they're part of mainstream pop culture. They're even making TV movies about them.

So best to grit your teeth when someone writing a teenager has them reference Scumbag Steve or the like, maybe think of it as something akin to Luke Cage going on about Christmas back in the day and hope for it to pass.

Sorry, it's stupid whenever it shows up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

They're even making TV movies about them.

I was never mad about that whole meme in Ms. Marvel thing, but some things are just wrong.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh I wish I had the Great Lakes Avenger comic where the guy get's in a fight and finds Jesus once he realizes he's going to die. Anyone remember this?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't get how "soak a 20 foot drop" is nerdy. I just contexted-up "soak" as "endure". Is there some hidden 4chons meaning behind it I should be getting pissed off about to prove that I'm still cool even though I'm reading and enjoying the hell out of a comic book about a teenage girl?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A number of RPGs/games use the term 'Soak' to refer to a statistic/ability that negates a particular amount of incoming damage (that is, damage which is 'soaked' from a source is simply ignored/discarded, as opposed to being accumulated against something like a Health/Hit Point total and eventually disabling the character). Now that I think about it, I can only recall the specific term being used in books for White Wolf like Vampire: the Masquerade or Exalted, but the actual concept is fairly common in games and most people who have played RPGs would understand it. I assume that it's crossed over into video games where there is a similar mechanic. This is why it would be seen as nerdy.

Of course, RPGs used the term 'soak' because one of its regular means is just 'absorb', as in 'soak up the sun' or 'soaking up information', so even if you aren't a nerd the meaning is pretty clear. It's not like she is making a THAC0 joke or something that direct.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's fairly common in MMOs. Like most MMO jargon it went into Everquest from the pencil & paper RPG players, was inherited by then got popular within WoW, finally escaping into other games through the WoW-refugees.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
She definitely means it in the RPG sense, though. Ms. Marvel's a total nerd.

(Ms. Marvel #6)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe she plays the same MMOs as Alex Wilder and his friends.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

Maybe she plays the same MMOs as Alex Wilder and his friends.
I choose to believe that this is the case.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ashcans posted:

A number of RPGs/games use the term 'Soak' to refer to a statistic/ability that negates a particular amount of incoming damage (that is, damage which is 'soaked' from a source is simply ignored/discarded, as opposed to being accumulated against something like a Health/Hit Point total and eventually disabling the character). Now that I think about it, I can only recall the specific term being used in books for White Wolf like Vampire: the Masquerade or Exalted, but the actual concept is fairly common in games and most people who have played RPGs would understand it. I assume that it's crossed over into video games where there is a similar mechanic. This is why it would be seen as nerdy.

I think it started in Vampire and it was literal: you spent your saved blood and "soaked" your wounds in it, and the blood you spend is converted into regenerated flesh. Has it really taken off outside of V:tM? Small world.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CoolCab posted:

I think it started in Vampire and it was literal: you spent your saved blood and "soaked" your wounds in it, and the blood you spend is converted into regenerated flesh. Has it really taken off outside of V:tM? Small world.
No, Soak was what armor and inherent toughness got you. What you're talking about is called Blood Healing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nerds!

Saga #1.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Say Nothing posted:

Nerds!

Saga #1.

Is that lady experiencing the miracle of child birth?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I don't understand how people are conflating video game jargon and memes. Is there a lolcat with "soak a 20 foot drop" as a punchline?

Sure, it's nerdy, but since the specific thing people seem to get pissy about is "Ms. Marvel said a meme! gently caress!" I don't really see how this panel fits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is that lady experiencing the miracle of child birth?
Actually yes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I miss the good old days when you couldn't post in these threads without posting images to keep the dumb arguments about what constitutes humor down to a minimum.

In the good old days we also found Garthe Ennis funny still:

(Preacher, Volume 2 - I don't know any of the individual issues, just the trade#s)

(Fury Max, Volume 1 [and only, unfortunately])

(Chronicles of Wormwood, Volume 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hermanos isn't going to be a mod again and both him and us are better off for it

• Locked thread