Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think the comparison of B&tB and Lion King aren't necessarily fair to Frozen. Just because you've got a huge money maker doesn't mean it's got the chops to withstand the next 20 some odd years. And hell if I know how those two movies managed to do it, but man did they. I feel like they're jumping the gun to make a quick buck, basically. A year down? Yeah, they aren't doing anything special at all and it's going to be cheap and like I said, it'll feel like Six Flags rebranding a rollercoaster. Epcot needs help but it doesn't need that kind of help, and that's probably what makes me displeased about it more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think the comparison of B&tB and Lion King aren't necessarily fair to Frozen. Just because you've got a huge money maker doesn't mean it's got the chops to withstand the next 20 some odd years. And hell if I know how those two movies managed to do it, but man did they.

A lot of that is timing. B&tB and Lion King were released at the peak of the early-90s Disney Animation Renaissance. Take a look at the relevant timeline:

1937-1967 – All the classics
1970-1988 – A vast wasteland of poo poo (18 years!)
1989 – Little Mermaid (first Renaissance film, and something of a surprise to Disney)
1990 – Duck Tales and Rescuers Downs Under (already late in production when Mermaid dropped)
1991 – Beauty and the Beast
1992 – Aladdin
1993 – nothing
1994 – Lion King
1995 – Pocahantas, Toy Story
1996 – Hunchback
1997 – Hercules
1998 – Mulan, A Bug's Life
1999 – Tarzan, Toy Story 2
2000+ – and so on, and so on

So, well before the turn of the century, Disney had its system in place: at least one feature-length animated blockbuster a year. But when Mermaid, B&tB, Aladdin and Lion King dropped, awesome Disney animated releases were still a novelty. It's like...there have been plenty of acts as good as Elvis and the Beatles, but those are the two that will always be iconic. Also, Lion King was a hell of a great movie.

A lot of what Disney and/or Pixar have released since then has been great, but it's lost in a wash of other films and properties. The only ones that stand out are the Pixar films, and that's because they're just that drat good (minus one or two very notable exceptions). Princess and the Frog was a fantastic movie, but it was smack in the middle of a stretch of TEN feature animated films released in 2009, '10 and '11. If it had come out in 1992, I think we'd have a C-ticket in Fantasyland themed around it.

Disney is about to build a lot of stuff around Star Wars IP. And whatever they build will have staying power because they're wrapping attractions around an incredibly iconic property.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I'm going down to Florida for ten days but want to spend a day at Disney; I'm poor as poo poo and my family lives in port Charlotte so I'd have to commute. If you had to pick one park to go to which would it be? I did this ten years ago and we poorly chose MGM Studios so I was thinking MK? Or do you think I should forego Disney and just do Universal and HHN? I went to Universal ten years ago also when they debuted the Mummy.

Thanks

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

If I had just one day at Disney, I'd do MK, hands down.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Agreed. Magic Kingdom is the way to go.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome that's what I was considering. Do they do anything special for Halloween at MK?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
They have, "Mickey's not-so-scary Halloween Party," which is fun, but it's a hard-ticket event, so it'll set you back like $60 or so. The park is decked out for Halloween, too. Uh...beyond that, I'm not sure. I don't think any of the attractions get Halloween skins or anything like that. Adults are not allowed to wear costumes, so don't even think about it. That pretty much exhausts my WDW Halloween knowledge vault.

For some reason, I'm thinking they have a special parade and fireworks show, but I believe they're both for the hard-ticket event. Maybe.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like nothing remarkable then compared to HHN. I'm going down the deep road now and seeing about staying on property for a night to be able to do Epcot also. :suicide: Tickets are loving expensive eh

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Sounds like nothing remarkable then compared to HHN. I'm going down the deep road now and seeing about staying on property for a night to be able to do Epcot also. :suicide: Tickets are loving expensive eh

Not even in the same ballpark.. or sport for that matter. HHN blows Not So Scary, But Very Expensive out of the water. HHN will have poo poo that scares you out of your pants unlike the Disney event where the only scary thing is what was done to your bank account at the end.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's what I thought.

Is there any kind of central bus like service for Florida so I can get to Orlando or Kissimie or w/e Disney is from the Fort Myers area? Any clue?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I think (Braksgirl, confirm?) that for October, Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 and Epcot closes at 9:00. That's the way it always is for us, because we only go during off-season. Don't know if you'd need to get a room or anything to stay til 9:00. HOWEVER...you may enjoy hanging out at Downtown Disney that evening, or maybe one of the nice hotel bars, like the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian. Get a Lapu-Lapu. There's always something to do, even after the parks close.

Hell, might as well get a 1-day park hopper for $150 (a 1-day MK-only ticket is $100), plus a room at whatever on-property hotel you can afford, show up at the rear end-crack of dawn that morning, and do all four parks. Finish the day at Epcot, drunk, then go to whatever resort tavern floats your boat. Me and the missus have done that exact thing, for the record. If you pick a good day, all the parks will be dead, so you won't spend time waiting in any lines. All four parks in one day is very doable during the off-season.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Lincoln posted:

All four parks in one day is very doable during the off-season.

All four!? You can totally do AK, HS and Epcot in one day, but I think you'd be hard pressed to do MK as well.

The last time I was there I did AK in the morning (rode Kili Safari, Everest 3 times in 45 mins thanks to the single rider line, and fast passed Dinosaur). HS in the afternoon (walked onto Star Tours and Rockin but had to FP Tower and ToyStory). And made it to EPCOT in time for dinner. Id have had more time if I had been willing to forgo Toy Story but I waited for the FP entrance at 4pm.

And that was being very selective about what I rode and having solid knowledge of FPs.

The most I waited in line was maybe 15 minutes when people abused the single rider line. And a few FP wait times.

I can't imagine trying to cram in MK as well. Even if you walked onto every single ride, it would just be exhausting to be running all over the place.

But maybe I need to go in the off season and challenge myself.

Been toying with the idea of a December trip for my birthday, but might go next month to take advantage of empty parks. ho hum, decisions.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Adults can wear costumes for not so scary - it's the one time a year they can. MK only closes at 7 on not so scary nights. I do love the Halloween party but this is my third year going and it's pretty much only because I got a free ticket.

Halloween horror nights on the other hand is kind of my Christmas. I'm going to the team member preview tomorrow night courtesy of my roommate and last year I made it out to about 11 nights.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All four parks in one day sounds batshit crazy, keep in mind my only knowledge about Disney World other than my one time at MGM Studios is "I think theres a Pirates of the Carribean ride".

That said, if I could do MK and EPCOT in a day that'd be cool.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah that's what I thought.

Is there any kind of central bus like service for Florida so I can get to Orlando or Kissimie or w/e Disney is from the Fort Myers area? Any clue?

Red Coach USA and a few others run bus service all over the place here. Orlando is a destination hub.

Also, not that I would ever have done this but if you stay after the official closing of MK and into Not So Scary they will not kick you out. They don't close the park but they do issue arm bands and won't let you ride anything or participate in any of the special things that pop up around the park. Think of yourself as a ghost.. everyone knows you are there but they ignore you, up until you try and get on a ride at least then they tell you to gtfo.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 16, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
You absolutely cannot do all 4 parks in one day. Not if you want to see everything or hell, even half of everything.

You might make a good dent in all of them but there is just too much to do everything when you include rest, meals and wait times (even negligible ones). Hell, the Soarin' queue is a quarter mile long - just going in and out takes a bare minimum of 15 minutes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And short of sprinting through the parks and not riding anything where the queue is more than five minutes there is no way you can do all the parks in one day. Even us local AP pros would be hard pressed to pull that off.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Abu Dave posted:

All four parks in one day sounds batshit crazy, keep in mind my only knowledge about Disney World other than my one time at MGM Studios is "I think theres a Pirates of the Carribean ride".

That said, if I could do MK and EPCOT in a day that'd be cool.

You can probably get away with most of Epcot and MK in a single day.

It depends on what you are dying to see/ride and what you are willing to sacrifice.

For example, I find space mountain boring and will happily axe it if it means getting to do more. Similarly, Ive been on Soarin' once, and I am from California, so I never feel the need to ride it.

But if say you just want to do:
Magic Kingdom: Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder, Mansion, Space, Small World, and Buzz
EPCOT: Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Test Track, Captain EO, Soarin', and a walk around the lagoon

You could probably get away with it, especially if you plan fast passes well.

Basically you could blitz through the rides and know that any extra time gets added to walking around the lagoon, or that time gets cut short if you decided you MUST go on Jungle Cruise or whatever.

Youd also likely have to nix any shows or parades/fireworks, except illuminations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm fine with nixing shows and fireworks; honestly the only thing I really want to do at EPCOT is just visit the World Pavilion. In MK I just really want to do Pirates and Mansion. I'm easy to please. V:keke:>

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Bah. You people.

On our most recent visit:

Early-entry at Animal Kingdom (8 AM), rode all the big stuff.
Took bus to MK & got there about 10:30 or 11.
Rode stuff at MK, ate lunch, rode stuff, took monorail to TTC and then to Epcot mid-afternoon.
Did Future World.
Took the water taxi to Hollywood Studios, rode stuff at HS until 8 PM or so, then took water taxi back to Epcot for Illuminations.

So really, five parks (Epcot twice). Did not ride everything, of course, but we didn't want to ride everything. And we didn't even plan to do all four parks that day, it just happened. Spent at least a couple of hours at each park, and more at MK. Keep in mind, it was January, so we never stood in a line longer than 5 or 10 minutes, except waiting for the monorail.

...tell me I can't do four parks in one day, I'll show you something mister...

Though it would be an interesting study to figure out if it is logistically possible to ride all major attractions in a single day between 8 AM and 9 PM.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I've done four parks in one day before but that was just my way of killing a day. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on vacation or with family. My next goal is seven parks in one day by including SeaWorld and Universal. I did the math and I'm pretty sure it's feasible while doing one major ride in each park.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
There's a difference between "going to all four parks" and "doing all four parks" :colbert:

A lot of people think that they can 'finish' all four parks in one day which is ludicrous. It's absolutely possible to go between them if you're willing to cut things.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

There's a difference between "going to all four parks" and "doing all four parks" :colbert:

A lot of people think that they can 'finish' all four parks in one day which is ludicrous. It's absolutely possible to go between them if you're willing to cut things.

Exactly my point earlier.. if we target a few specific attractions, FP+ them and blow through the park like a tornado we can hit all four parks and be home in time to walk the dogs in the late afternoon but I do not find that enjoyable.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Lincoln posted:

I think (Braksgirl, confirm?) that for October, Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 and Epcot closes at 9:00. That's the way it always is for us, because we only go during off-season. Don't know if you'd need to get a room or anything to stay til 9:00. HOWEVER...you may enjoy hanging out at Downtown Disney that evening, or maybe one of the nice hotel bars, like the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian. Get a Lapu-Lapu. There's always something to do, even after the parks close.

Hell, might as well get a 1-day park hopper for $150 (a 1-day MK-only ticket is $100), plus a room at whatever on-property hotel you can afford, show up at the rear end-crack of dawn that morning, and do all four parks. Finish the day at Epcot, drunk, then go to whatever resort tavern floats your boat. Me and the missus have done that exact thing, for the record. If you pick a good day, all the parks will be dead, so you won't spend time waiting in any lines. All four parks in one day is very doable during the off-season.

October hours are shorter. MK closes at 7 on party nights and the other parks close sometime around 9, with the exception of AK which closes at the late, late hour of 6 pm. I would try to go to MK on a non party night when they do Extra Magic Hours. I'd get there at rear end o clock in the morning and stay til they made me leave at 1 am.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
All four parks in one day is kind of a fun experiment. I intend on doing it once before my program ends, but yeah, not an ideal way to actually spend a vacation day.

In other news: I applied to intern at Yellow Shoes, the in house marketing team for Disney Destinations. That'd be sweet.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 17, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That 7 parks in one day experiment sounds like a great way to spend about 400 dollars and spend half the day on buses to ride 7 rides and develop an ulcer.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I'm going to assume Mearn is a local that has annual passes (with parking) and a car, and as such it sounds like a noble goal. However as he said on vacation it's not something anyone should ever attempt, as it's a waste of money.

However I do think three parks can be done in a day. Start at either hollywood studios or animal kingdom, ride the couple headliners and get out early. Get to MK by 11-12 and spend 5 or so hours doing adventure/fantasyland, use your FP+ there for headliners and whatnot. Then head over to epcot for evening meal, enjoying the world showcase for a couple hours and have dinner and watch the fireworks. If it's offseason there is no reason you couldn't knock out a significant part of the parks those days, just as long as you don't expect to do everything it should be a blast.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was at WDW last week and there was a day where we did exactly that except with Studios instead of AK. We also went to all the parks on other days as well though. EPCOT is a really nice place to hang out in the evening and finish any day off.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If the parks are slow, you plan your fast passes ahead of time, head to the parks at an early hour, don't wander around sightseeing, drive your own vehicle to save the time not having to wait for Disney transportation between parks, aren't lugging children with strollers, pack your own lunch and eat on the go then yes this is completely do-able.

Any one or more of those variables combined go out of whack and all bets are off. If you want to try the one day multi-park challenge I would be more than happy to hang out with you and be the unofficial timekeeper/tour guide when you attempt it. I'll even document it for you on the forums posting pics of you yelling at your significant other to "get out of the damned gift shop dammit!" or "what the hell, how many times will you stop at the restroom in an hour?!" and "no, no more freaking pictures with the characters!"

I will even present you with an 8x10 glossy of you running screaming like a lunatic and jumping into a fountain when you lose your damned mind near the end of the day. (frame not included)

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 17, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are yo uable to upgrade your ticket to a park hopper once you buy it or are all sales final?

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
A couple of years ago I did two parks(*) within the same 24 hours, it's definitely doable(**).

* Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris
** Also very very silly

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Abu Dave posted:

Are yo uable to upgrade your ticket to a park hopper once you buy it or are all sales final?

You can upgrade. I'm not sure there's a scenario where Disney would be unwilling to take more of your money.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Abu Dave posted:

You can upgrade, but if you're going to do it you'll want to do it early. If you have say, a 5 day ticket, and you use 4 days but want to upgrade on the last day to hopper, they'll charge you to upgrade the entire 5 day ticket.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

PkerUNO posted:

A couple of years ago I did two parks(*) within the same 24 hours, it's definitely doable(**).

* Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris
** Also very very silly

I would like to hear this story.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

effervescible posted:

I would like to hear this story.

I was visiting Japan in 2011, and when booking my flight home I noticed that immediately changing flights in Paris cost the same as having a day-long layover. So on my last day in Tokyo, I bought a Starlight Pass to Tokyo Disneyland (discounted entry after 5pm) and enjoyed the park at night. My main reason for going was to see the Electrical Parade Dreamlights, which ended up being cancelled due to three drops of rain. :emo:

But basically, stayed at Tokyo Disneyland until closing time, hopped on the monorail to the airport for my 1am flight, arrived in Paris at 6am, took the train over and was at Disneyland Paris in time for opening. Consider that I cannot for the life of me sleep on planes and you can easily see why this is a very poor idea!

So naturally, one of the items on my bucket list is to do a Disneyland World Tour: every Disney park, one a day, on consecutive days.

But yeah, to echo what most people are saying, it is entirely possible to do more than 2 parks a day but it will tire you out and you won't necessarily have a great experience. Sure you'll get to do all the rides, but don't forget that the parks themselves are considered attractions. Take the time to soak in the details and atmosphere. It's what separates Disneyland from "amusement parks".

I'm going again in October for 2 nights, staying on-property, and the order of the day will be to relax, try the new Ratatouille ride, and just take it easy. Best way to do it!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

PkerUNO posted:

monorail to the airport

:circlefap: some day...

Great story. Close a park in Tokyo, open one in Paris. That's badass.

Re: 4 parks in one day...keep in mind guys, this was one day of a 6-day WDW vacation for just me and my wife. We've been to the parks plenty of times, so we had no reason to ride/see everything. We basically hung out in one park and enjoyed ourselves until we got bored, then moved on to the next one. By the end of the day, we were like, hey, we've been to all four parks today. We had no kids in tow, didn't need to stop for meals or naps, had no lines to wait in, and didn't feel obligated to ride everything. FWIW, we did hit pretty much all the major stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So we're definitely going to just Magic Kingdom. What are the absolute must do's? Hell is there even a resource where I can see what shows and rides are there?

I know I want a Dole Whip. I've read so much about them for 10 years I just HAVE to. Awaiting disappointment though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

So we're definitely going to just Magic Kingdom. What are the absolute must do's? Hell is there even a resource where I can see what shows and rides are there?

I know I want a Dole Whip. I've read so much about them for 10 years I just HAVE to. Awaiting disappointment though.

Uhhh. Dole Whips own dude.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I work at Magic Kingdom, and thus am a walking talking map of the place. Anything you want to know, I can help.

The rides are geared towards families, less thrill and more fun. There are still some thrill rides though of varying degrees. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain are fun coasters, Splash Mountain is the best drat log flume ride in the world, and the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a fun little mixture between coaster and dark ride. That doesn't even scratch the surface of things to do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Awaiting disappointment though.
If you expect to be disappointed, you will not be. So then you will. Wait.

Just buy Dole Whip.

And then buy this: