Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

DrGaiusBallsack posted:

it doesn't run quite as well as I'd like; and I'm not sure if that's OS X's fault or the computer's.

The computer's - it's old and has a terrible integrated video chip. If you really want a low-dollar Hackintosh laptop, try picking up something like a Lenovo T410/T510 with Nvidia graphics. They're fairly tough, common and inexpensive on the refurb market, and Hackintosh pretty well - there are several online guides and a wealth of information out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGaiusBallsack
Aug 17, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

The computer's - it's old and has a terrible integrated video chip. If you really want a low-dollar Hackintosh laptop, try picking up something like a Lenovo T410/T510 with Nvidia graphics. They're fairly tough, common and inexpensive on the refurb market, and Hackintosh pretty well - there are several online guides and a wealth of information out there.

I will agree that this is a lovely laptop (I did pick it up for $40); but even then, it has the same integrated graphics as some old Macbooks that ran Lion; and there's no reason my EeePC 1005HA running Snow Leopard should get better performance. A bit of lag I'm okay with; but it still has to be... you know... usable. The fact that it also runs swimmingly with Arch tells me that either Lion and up has a ridiculous amount of bloat; or OS X is a lot more resource intensive than I thought.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Well, the GMA x3100 was heavily maligned back in the day by drat near everyone, plus your C2D is only, what, 1.5ghz? That's not going to give you scintillating performance on any OS, especially later versions of OSX which are doing a lot of graphics work just rendering the desktop.

FWIW, I've Hackintoshed several C2D desktop machines with faster (2.6-ish) processors and discrete(but old) GPU 's, and performance under Lion/ML is quite snappy- not in the same league as my i7/HD7950/Intel 335 SSD machine, but still very usable.

Part of your poor performance will most likely be the ancient, sluggish hard drive - it's been said many times before, but an SSD will wake up almost any older machine. I'm still loathe to recommend one in your case, because I still think the integrated video chip and the overall age of your laptop makes the expense a poor investment .

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I wouldn't go above snow leopard with that laptop.

DrGaiusBallsack
Aug 17, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

Part of your poor performance will most likely be the ancient, sluggish hard drive - it's been said many times before, but an SSD will wake up almost any older machine. I'm still loathe to recommend one in your case, because I still think the integrated video chip and the overall age of your laptop makes the expense a poor investment .

it would be a bad choice, especially since the HDD in there is still in good shape, and gives me zero speed issues with Linux. A SSD would "wake up" the computer, but would that boost be worth it just for a semi-stable OS?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DrGaiusBallsack posted:

it would be a bad choice, especially since the HDD in there is still in good shape, and gives me zero speed issues with Linux. A SSD would "wake up" the computer, but would that boost be worth it just for a semi-stable OS?

When you say "unstable", what exactly are the symptoms? Random app crashes? Graphical weirdness? Beachballing for extended periods with no discernable reasons? Something else?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
gently caress. Yosemite DP8 is showing a Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 in the App Store, and Hide Update does nothing to it. I guess I'll just live with a permanent badge on my App Store icon. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't keep App Store in your dock, problem solved :)

I have like 4 updates I'll never install. NBD.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a decent guide on how to convert from Chimera as configured by Multibeast to Clover? Do I have to burn the install and start over? I assume switching to Clover now will ease my pain when it comes time to upgrade to Yosemite.

The "mini deluxe" from the tonymacx86 buyers guide is the hardware config I'm using, including the 760 graphics card.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Installed the 10.9.5 update from the app store, everything seems to work fine on my Dell Latitude E6410 w/Nvidia.

r2tincan
Jul 21, 2004
Is there a "power user" hackintosh thread? I basically want to recreate / destroy the new Mac Pro. If this isn't the forum for this, where can I look?

Thanks

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

r2tincan posted:

Is there a "power user" hackintosh thread? I basically want to recreate / destroy the new Mac Pro. If this isn't the forum for this, where can I look?

Thanks

This one. Try giving real details

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
insanelymac, osx86, tonymacx86. Go wherever there's a thread on the machine you want to hackintosh, so they can point you to DSDT's and guides and such.
But this thread is pretty okay for poo poo.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Yeah man lots of power users here I put an Apple sticker on my PC case and everything :smuggo:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

r2tincan posted:

Thanks

Sorry, but a Mac Pro cannot be created or destroyed, only converted into other forms.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I hosed around with hackintosh when iAKTOS and Kalyway were big, and I'm interested in doing it again but I have a few reservations. This is what I've got right now:

128gb Samsung 840 SSD
i5-4670k
Gigabyte z87x-d3h
16gb DDR3 RAM
XFX Radeon HD 7870

I know ATI video cards have historically been a pain in the rear end/not possible to work with but from what I can find online it now seems like less of a headache than before. Thoughts?

As well as actually installing OS X on this hardware, right now I have a ton of media server-type things running in Windows and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to instead do it all from a Linux VM running constantly in OS X, and what virtualization software to choose if there's really anything other than VMware fusion.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
hey, yosemite came out. let us upgrade because we hate ourselves and own computers for reasons other than using them.
I'm rolling clover instead of chameleon this time around. iMessage shat itself for the last time and I'm not fixing it again.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Somehow, my Clover setup works with iMessage and I just stuck with the auto generated defaults for the model and such.

I've been using Clover since Mavericks somesuch.

Now if only I could get my non UEFI PC to boot Clover instead of locking up.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I've never done Clover before. Anyone have a guide they've used? Just something at least to tell me how it's different installing under clover than chameleon. All I know are boot flags and poo poo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

agarjogger posted:

I've never done Clover before. Anyone have a guide they've used? Just something at least to tell me how it's different installing under clover than chameleon. All I know are boot flags and poo poo.

I just used the official Clover FAQ when there were some things that I couldn't figure out on my own (the installer makes it pretty easy but there's an assload of options it doesn't configure). There's also Clover Configurator and the Clover prefpane, but you can't use those until you actually have it installed.

I installed Clover to a flash drive (and used it this way for months) before nuking my Chameleon EFI partition to make sure that everything worked OK first – I suggest anyone else trying Clover out for the first time do the same since there's a ton of configuration options and they have to be set just right in order for iMessage and poo poo like that to work correctly.

Anyway, I'm going to try to install Yosemite (using a USB drive made with the "createinstallmedia" tool) with Clover today. I'm making a complete SuperDuper clone of my Mavericks install first to see how upgrading that will go, but from what I've been reading I don't anticipate any problems.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
OK, I'm having a really weird problem with the cloned HD and the Yosemite Install USB thing: they'll boot, but they won't give me any video (using a GeForce GTX 660 Ti). I know they're booted and functional since I can VNC/SSH into them, but I get nothing on my monitor. As far as I know I don't have the onboard Intel video stuff enabled, either. Does anyone know how to fix this?

e: straight up ran the Yosemite installer and pointed it to the cloned HD, everything went mostly fine. There's a service that keeps constantly crashing and spamming the console though so I guess I'll try and track down what that's about before upgrading for real.

also holy shiiiiiittt i hate 5200 rpm drives

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Reinstalled Yosemite on my PC via Clover, and it works great. Had to get some additional networking kexts and hack AppleHDA to get sound, as well as pull some serial numbers from my Macbook air, but nearly everything else just worked.

Now I just need to find a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to replace this junk old one I have.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hmm what's safer, to just upgrade 10.9.5 or go from the ground up with a fresh install?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Drastic Actions posted:

Reinstalled Yosemite on my PC via Clover, and it works great. Had to get some additional networking kexts and hack AppleHDA to get sound, as well as pull some serial numbers from my Macbook air, but nearly everything else just worked.

Now I just need to find a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to replace this junk old one I have.

Try the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, it's natively supported and p. inexpensive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Installing Yosemite, clean install, with UniBeast only boots correctly once (requiring GraphicsEnabler=Yes.) If I try to boot it again, regardless of whether I've used MultiBeast with a custom DSDT, the progress bar creeps up very slowly then stops exactly halfway through. What's going on?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Installing Yosemite, clean install, with UniBeast only boots correctly once (requiring GraphicsEnabler=Yes.) If I try to boot it again, regardless of whether I've used MultiBeast with a custom DSDT, the progress bar creeps up very slowly then stops exactly halfway through. What's going on?

We need verbose boot information.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

utonium posted:

Yeah man lots of power users here I put an Apple sticker on my PC case and everything :smuggo:

Samesies. Basically a Russian DoD hacker over here.

I’d trade away wifi if I could make it light up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Get one of the new Thinkpads with a LED in the dot of the i in "Thinkpad" and put the Apple sticker over it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sinestro posted:

We need verbose boot information.
OK, got it booting fine by reinstalling, booting the first time with DSDT=null, patching with MaciASL, then installing via Multibeast. Working great, except for one thing - my secondary monitor won't turn on now.

I'm running 2x GTX 670s in SLI with GraphicsEnabler off. Both monitors are plugged into the same card and worked fine under my previous Mavericks installation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I have a stock Dell inspiron 1720 laptop that I want to dual-boot win 7 and OSX (from separate hard drives). The only Mac I have right now is a Dell mini 9 hackintosh I rigged years ago but I do have a retail snow leopard disk.

Is my goal even feasible and if so can someone point me towards a current install guide?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My box: Asus P7P55D-E mobo w/ 2.9 i7, 10GB RAM, Radeon 5770

I had a Chimera + Mavericks + Fusion Drive setup working great so naturally I broke it. Reformatted the Fusion Drive at the logical level (didn't re-create the FD from scratch,) installed Yosemite using Clover, and restored from Time Machine without incident. iMessage even works now after calling Apple and having them activate it, which is awesome. I have the following issues, though:

1) I can only boot from the USB installer drive I made. Clover won't take on the two EFI partitions that exist across the SSD and platter in my Fusion setup. When I boot to disk I get:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

2) When I turn off my display using Ctrl-Shift-Eject it doesn't cut off signal like it did before, just displays a black screen. In Mavericks it turned off the display entirely, and allowed it to go to sleep. I don't really ever use sleep but it appears as if that doesn't work properly right now either.
3) None of the fancy handoff / continuity stuff works, but that's because I'm using an IOGear BT dongle. (The unified calling stuff does work though!) I ordered that ridiculous four-antenna thing with the real-deal iMac PCIe Bluetooth & Wifi card from OSXWifi and assume that'll take care of it. (I wanted to do this anyways so I could pair the keyboard properly and not have to keep a USB keyboard plugged in to get to the BIOS.)
4) There's a 'Boot Mac OS X' hidden partition I can't get rid of.

In the runup to the announcement of the Mini I assumed I'd switch to that and get back on the "legitimate" side of things, but no quad-core option and Iris graphics ends up with my Hack still being faster overall. I think I'll wait to see how the Retina iMacs work out and get one of those down the road. If I can get this guy working right it's certainly fast enough to do everything I need still.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is anyone else having trouble with Clover and the Yosemite installer?

When I prepare a USB stick with the OS X installer, I get stuck on waiting for root device.

When I put the Yosemite installer on a hard disk and boot off that instead, the machine forcibly restarts roughly where you would expect it to bring up the UI.

Chameleon was always a lot easier in the old days. :smith:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Clover and the Yosemite installer?

When I prepare a USB stick with the OS X installer, I get stuck on waiting for root device.

When I put the Yosemite installer on a hard disk and boot off that instead, the machine forcibly restarts roughly where you would expect it to bring up the UI.

Chameleon was always a lot easier in the old days. :smith:

I experienced this while installing on an MBR drive under Legacy/UEFI, but not while installing with a GPT installer USB w/ UEFI only.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I'm still using a Z68 mobo. Maybe I'll need to get a UEFI only one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Anyone having trouble with Clover and Yosemite please make sure kext-dev-mode=1 is in the boot args.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Looks like the sleep issue is Yosemite and not Clover or Hackintosh specific. So hopefully they'll fix that with 10.0.1 or whatever.

Everything besides that is perfect for me as long as I boot to the USB stick. I think I'm going to just break my Fusion drive and start everything over from scratch. Or maybe I just set my mobo to boot USB first and forget about it. :v:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I have a sleep issue even with 10.9.5, but with an actual Mac. Occasionally, I'll return to find the power light full on, and an orange light glowing from inside the machine, and it will fail to wake from sleep at all, so I have to power it off and back on again. I've since disabled sleep.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I need help. I tried using myhack to create an installer for Snow Leopard but for some reason it decided to write to my boot volume instead of the USB stick. Now I'm stuck at a login prompt that won't accept my password with the OSX installer prompt strangely behind it. I tried these steps to repair the GUID partition data but no go.

What can I do to recover from this?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

I need help. I tried using myhack to create an installer for Snow Leopard but for some reason it decided to write to my boot volume instead of the USB stick. Now I'm stuck at a login prompt that won't accept my password with the OSX installer prompt strangely behind it. I tried these steps to repair the GUID partition data but no go.

What can I do to recover from this?

Myhack did the same thing to me, nuked my OS drive instead of the USB, and my only choice was to run a data recovery program on another mac to get my files back and start fresh. If you have a time machine backup then you can restore from that without much hassle, but other than that I don't think there are a lot of options to escape this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

RandomCheese posted:

Myhack did the same thing to me, nuked my OS drive instead of the USB, and my only choice was to run a data recovery program on another mac to get my files back and start fresh. If you have a time machine backup then you can restore from that without much hassle, but other than that I don't think there are a lot of options to escape this scenario.

I was afraid of that. I honestly can't believe that this even happened. There's a thread about it here and the creator is basically like "well I knew about the bug for months but I've been busy with more IMPORTANT things like supporting new versions :smug:". Really, so potentially nuking a donor Mac is low priority to you?

Anyway, I've tried installing SL again over the borked installation, but was still stuck at the login prompt. Tried resetting password in single user mode, no go. Tried deleting that file to start the new user prompt and now it just sits at a grey screen.

What recovery program did you use?

• Locked thread