Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Dan Ryckert is a national loving treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Beard Yawn posted:

Dan Ryckert is a natural loving disaster.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Also true.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Seriously wish they would fire him, but it won't happen. If we're lucky he starts to chill the gently caress out and takes a backseat to the other guys. He's incredibly grating.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahahaha, gently caress you. If you don't like him or the hiring decisions they've made, stop listening/visiting their site. A lot of people enjoy his presence, even if his existence is baffling, and wishing he would get fired because you don't like him makes you sound like you Take This Too Seriously.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You know I really hate that "Vinny Carvel" guy or whatever on the bombcast, cant they just fire him and never talk about him again and then also go back and remove all his audio from every previous podcast?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I stopped listening to the Bombcast when Dan said he couldn't eat Tomatoes in any form other than ketchup and that they were disgusting.
I had the sudden realization that I was putting time aside to listen to a grown man whine about his bizarre eating habits and I could find anything better to do with my time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're listening to podcasts as a primary form of entertainment rather than something you listen to while doing something else, you're doing it wrong

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I stopped listening to the Bombcast when Dan said he couldn't eat Tomatoes in any form other than ketchup and that they were disgusting.
I had the sudden realization that I was putting time aside to listen to a grown man whine about his bizarre eating habits and I could find anything better to do with my time.

Jeff has spent probably like over an hour of total airtime complaining about lovely pizza in his area over the years. I guess Dan was just your breaking point.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

VDay posted:

Jeff has spent probably like over an hour of total airtime complaining about lovely pizza in his area over the years. I guess Dan was just your breaking point.

To be fair, the Dominos in Petaluma closing did suck. Did they talk about that? I think one recently reopened.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I like Dan's Game Informer stories.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ja2ke posted:

To be fair, the Dominos in Petaluma closing did suck. Did they talk about that? I think one recently reopened.

WAY more often than you could possibly imagine

btw still waiting on this

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Dan owns because he elicits posts like this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fawf posted:

WAY more often than you could possibly imagine

btw still waiting on this

They just need to get Dan, Jeff and Drew on Idle Thumbs and they'll have completed the Idle Thumbs Bombcast crossover bingo

ja2ke posted:

Not only that, Dominos's Twitter literally tweeted Jeff and said "we should talk" :v:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the podcast just comes off a lot more goony than it did when Patrick and Vinny were on. It's fine, and I adore Dan, but I think there's a balance that's been lost.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the podcast just comes off a lot more goony than it did when Patrick and Vinny were on. It's fine, and I adore Dan, but I think there's a balance that's been lost.

Everyone seems to forget what a manchild Jeff has always been because Dan does it to the extreme.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

They just need to get Dan, Jeff and Drew on Idle Thumbs and they'll have completed the Idle Thumbs Bombcast crossover bingo

Not only that, Dominos's Twitter literally tweeted Jeff and said "we should talk" :v:

It was jeff who had a delivery boy come and tell him that the place he always ordered from was shutting down right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes.

And he also told Jeff where he'd be working next, I think.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Dominos is pretty good. It's really bad, but also pretty good. I also love what Dan has done for Giant Bomb West, but he talks about pro wrestling so much that it's kind of killing me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Timett posted:

I like Dan's Game Informer stories.

The guy apparently has his face in everything? I know he's a character in L.A. Noire and NPCs in GTA4 and all his Game Informer stories are "I was at this studio getting my picture taken for this thing..."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bullet3 posted:

Seriously wish they would fire him, but it won't happen. If we're lucky he starts to chill the gently caress out and takes a backseat to the other guys. He's incredibly grating.
You wish they'd fire him for not being sufficiently entertaining on a podcast? And he's the one that needs to chill?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Dominos is pretty good. It's really bad, but also pretty good. I also love what Dan has done for Giant Bomb West, but he talks about pro wrestling so much that it's kind of killing me.

Of the huge brand pizzas, I do find Dominos to be the best. At least the place around me makes really good ones. For the regional brand I think Papa Gino's is really good and is the best pizza you can get around the New England area outside of local places. If you're in Massachusetts the Linwood Pizzeria/bar has the best pizza you can get.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

GB has always been way more about the personalities than the game talk
It's a video games Morning Zoo, from the few that I listened to. This was back before the main guy died. It's great if that's what ya need.

I'm going through the original Retronauts. They're good. Sometimes you just want to hear about how good Super Mario was.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

The guy apparently has his face in everything? I know he's a character in L.A. Noire and NPCs in GTA4 and all his Game Informer stories are "I was at this studio getting my picture taken for this thing..."
There are many videos of people trying to kill Dan Ryckert by pushing him off a cliff.

If you hate Dan, pick up a copy of L.A. Noire today!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
RPS talks about objectivity in games journalism:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/15/editorial-some-subjective-thoughts-on-objectivity/

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Phone posted:

Speaking of GAMES JOURNALISM (no scare quotes), I'm going to re-listen to all of Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted.

The Death Of EGM.. such a good episode!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lot of words. I'm guessing it boils down to "absolute objectivity isn't possible, but the effort is important."

edit: ah, second paragraph twist. RTFA.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Kr7stof posted:

The Death Of EGM.. such a good episode!

I think that's probably the best episode of the show. I fell off when it went from strongly themed collections of segments to whatever interviews he wanted to do. I think the show hit its nadir with the interview of the guy with the big penis.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally remembered to check out Spawn On Me and enjoyed it pretty well. Check em out!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
VGT made me remember Threebrain, but now I can't find Dragons and Bees and it's making me sad but not that sad since it's actually pretty terrible. It has that 1999 internet charm, back when ninjas verse pirates was actually fresh and original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_72U0b_2g

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

SoulChicken posted:

The adverts have cooled me off idle thumbs a little. We get an intro, a middle and a final ad skit, talking about their "friends" at Squarespace and Naturebox.

I know it's a part of podcasting nowadays and you deserve to get some cash back into funding the podcast. I'm happy skipping past intro and bumper ads. But you guys are the last people I would expect to go all in on the chummy shill that just feels a bit creepy. Spend years building trust and integrity, then choose this slightly insidious way of advertising.

Not a big deal, I'll still listen and I'm still glad to be on the wizard wall.

I'm generally amicable when it comes to podcast adds but Idle Thumbs spend way more time on adds than any other podcast I listen to. They're on the shorter end as far as podcasts go too, so if you're listening to them back to back in a car ride it's that much more apparent how much time you're listening to adds.

Podcasts are also going to have to make some smart decisions about what adds need a 'shooting the poo poo' add vs a succinct pre-recorded message. Every time I hit the Squarespace add in Roderick on the Line I'm instantly thankful that I'm not listening to a bunch of guys spend too much time to say nothing about Naturebox I haven't heard 100 times before.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Woffle posted:

I think that's probably the best episode of the show. I fell off when it went from strongly themed collections of segments to whatever interviews he wanted to do. I think the show hit its nadir with the interview of the guy with the big penis.

I agree. That episode and also the episode: work.
Those 2 were an absolute joy to listen to.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Trexy posted:

I'm generally amicable when it comes to podcast adds but Idle Thumbs spend way more time on adds than any other podcast I listen to. They're on the shorter end as far as podcasts go too, so if you're listening to them back to back in a car ride it's that much more apparent how much time you're listening to adds.

Yeah, either Thumbs episodes are getting shorter, or the ads are getting longer, but the content ratio does seem to be slowly sliding out of whack.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast - Episode 18: "You Go, GERTY!" :jeb:

- Dark Mushroom with Dark Matters: part two of the three-part series on rendezvous and docking
- Modder's Minute with DK: KW Rocketry
- Another Shea Challenge
- Mission Briefing: your letters and Kerbal news
- But I Digress: "Moon"

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

Yeah Jeff talked about this a bunch even before Dan was even hired. Dan is like this weird enigma where he hates change so much he still eats food like he was a kid and even though loves anime things like metal gear, swears it's not anime because anime is for dorks and metal gear is cool and rad.

The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle. (Also listening to brad rip his hair out each week is hilarious to me)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dan is like this weird enigma where he hates change so much he still eats food like he was a kid and even though loves anime things like metal gear, swears it's not anime because anime is for dorks and metal gear is cool and rad.
Putting it that way makes me want to read Air Force Gator now. Jose CansecoFormer Baseball Player Sucks at Crowdfunding is pretty awesome too, although most of it's written by other people, including Max Scoville, who seems like what would happen if Dan let himself be an adult sometimes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I always feel that at least a quarter of each Bombcast is a discussion of awful food, from sodas and franchise places to homemade deep fried crap.
I used to zone out during these segments just like I do when Super Best Friends start discussing competitive fighting games, but Dan brings a new, fascinating dimension to them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Boy, if you are tired of the same old Destiny conversation that's been happening since the beta, you might as well skip the first hour of this weeks Bombcast.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
This is a great week for hearing people be indifferent about a game they feel obligated to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I enjoy the catharsis of it all. 18 months of constant previews and betas and first looks and then it comes out and it's met with mehs all around. It's the AAA cycle, which title will be the next to meh us all into boredom?

• Locked thread