Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

WordMercenary posted:

Death to +1 weapons. They are unforgivably boring.

Well, when I reviewed Pathfinder for F&F, I just got sick of seeing "nickel bonuses or dime bonuses", endless +1 or +2 bonuses to this or that. These are the kind of bonuses you'll barely ever notice, odds-wise, and become just another dumb thing to look up. Like the dwarf's +1 bonus to appraise stones and gems. Whoop-dee poo poo. If 5e is good at anything, it at least excises this sort of thing pretty nicely, actually! It makes the system more elegant. Not good, mind... but cleaner to parse.

I wonder if it's okay to just remove magic weapon bonuses from 13th Age entirely and just instead have them provide powers? I guess the return of the inherent bonus kludge would fix it...

Fixed the link for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The card game that people from my class are developing and i was playtesting will get into collective funding soon :toot:

This is cool, is there more info on this

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fixed the link for you.

I'm honestly amazed by the lack of "JUST BECAUSE WE PLAY D&D DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE DATELESS" nerdrage in the comments.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

September contest: convince me on how D&D is bad with a 1000+ word post without using the following buzzwords: Design, Caster supremacy, math, dice, grog and its variations (nerd, dweeb), simulationism, magic, broken and issues. Whoever makes the first one to convince me gets either Plat or an Avatar certificate.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...so we have to talk about why it's broken without actually saying why it's broken?

Like I get that a lot of those words are meaningless but the system math being terrible is 90% of the problem with 3.x (which is the only bad version I can speak for at all).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder if it's okay to just remove magic weapon bonuses from 13th Age entirely and just instead have them provide powers? I guess the return of the inherent bonus kludge would fix it...
Are magic items actually required in 13th Age?

Bucnasti posted:

It's really important to me that the game is inclusive, the source material we're drawing on was in it's own weird way very inclusive, the seventies were the first time (in America at least) that a lot of disenfranchised groups were getting represented in any meaningful way in the media especially film and music.
You have to be really dam careful though because a lot of the stuff from the 70's wasn't actually inclusive more than it was just flat out racist and is typically lumped into the same genre that James Raggi tries to imitate with Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 16, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

This is cool, is there more info on this

Not much, just that it's the first card game made on my state. I have the rules but it's Portuguese only.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Are magic items actually required in 13th Age?

Not really? You can use consumables to do the +whatever bonuses you'd get from them, but a big part of the game is getting magic items because they are unique, have personalities, and are alive and interesting. That being said, you cannot go to a store and buy them, and you can use your relationships with the icons in order to get them as quest rewards and stuff.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 16, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...so we have to talk about why it's broken without actually saying why it's broken?

Like I get that a lot of those words are meaningless but the system math being terrible is 90% of the problem with 3.x (which is the only bad version I can speak for at all).

He did not disallow the word 'wizard'? :shobon:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

You have to be really dam careful though because a lot of the stuff from the 70's wasn't actually inclusive more than it was just flat out racist.

Only looking back at it from 2014. You have to keep in mind when you're looking at 70s stuff that "treating minorities like humans" was a fairly new concept to white America; even if our views have progressed, the amount of effort we put into doing anything about them has regressed a shitload.

In the 70s, there was an extremely prolific subgenre of action movies targeted directly at African-American audiences, along with a pretty decent number of non-genre efforts like Watermelon Man (1970). Nowadays, there's... Tyler Perry movies, Kevin Hart movies, and Django Unchained, and the latter wasn't even targeted towards them, it just picked them up due to non-lovely handling of its subject matter.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 16, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

September contest: convince me on how D&D is bad with a 1000+ word post without using the following buzzwords: Design, Caster supremacy, math, dice, grog and its variations (nerd, dweeb), simulationism, magic, broken and issues. Whoever makes the first one to convince me gets either Plat or an Avatar certificate.

You forgot to ban some other buzzwords: Dungeons and/or Dragons, role-playing game, levels, XP, fighters, wizards, Gygax, 5e, and "Plutonis is a big wet pixie fart".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You forgot to ban some other buzzwords: Dungeons and/or Dragons, role-playing game, levels, XP, fighters, wizards, Gygax, 5e, and "Plutonis is a big wet pixie fart".

Adding those to the verboten words then.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, when I reviewed Pathfinder for F&F, I just got sick of seeing "nickel bonuses or dime bonuses", endless +1 or +2 bonuses to this or that. These are the kind of bonuses you'll barely ever notice, odds-wise, and become just another dumb thing to look up. Like the dwarf's +1 bonus to appraise stones and gems. Whoop-dee poo poo. If 5e is good at anything, it at least excises this sort of thing pretty nicely, actually! It makes the system more elegant. Not good, mind... but cleaner to parse.

I wonder if it's okay to just remove magic weapon bonuses from 13th Age entirely and just instead have them provide powers? I guess the return of the inherent bonus kludge would fix it..

I basically ran 4e with inherant bonuses on and the emphasis on giving people magic items that were more cool and interesting than +x to hit, which is all of them. Even a generic sword of fire is more evocative, compelling and potentially interesting in game. That's the way I prefer magic items.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Do we PM this to you, post it in the thread, or what; and can we use derivations of the words you have outlined

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Adding those to the verboten words then.

So basically, you don't want anyone to convince you, you just want to laugh at people trying to abuse the English language to fit the framework you're proposing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plenty of poo poo is up to taste, D&D is bad because the people who make it either don't understand or don't care about probabilities and coherency. This wouldn't be anything special except it's the Big Dog and helps set a terrible tone for the industry.

There, I win. I will defer my prize in exchange for you keeping your current avatar in perpetuity because I like it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So basically, you don't want anyone to convince you, you just want to laugh at people trying to abuse the English language to fit the framework you're proposing.

Go to *checks watch* take a nap, WickedIcon.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't see a problem with that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

pee pee

doo doo

it is a bad game

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting.
Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting.

Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting.
Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting. Dungeons and Dragons is so lovely it's like reading a thousand words of your posting.

That's 1080 words, btw.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
20 minutes of fun in 4 hours

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I want a reasonable argument that is different from the ten hundred billion ones that were presented to me yet were mostly the same repeated a thousand trillion times over, and let's face it, is it too much to ask for serious answers from serious people instead of boring trolls?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Dungeons and Dragons was getting better. Fourth edition was better than third edition which was better than second edition. It was a system for a very specific kind of game, but that kind of game can be quite fun and enjoyable, if not especially deep or responsive. And sure the various editions also had their flaws, like class unbalance at various levels in third edition, but they tended to be new problems with each edition, and the fan base is wide and deep enough to recognize them and perhaps even offer solutions in supplemental material.

But everything I've read about fifth edition makes it seem like it is a step backwards. It is recidivist reaction to the increasingly conservative fanbase. While I never expected D&D Next to be Dungeon World, I was hoping it might be a refinement and improvement on fourth edition, rather than an attempt to rehash the glory days of third edition, with a more strictly controlled license.

I want to like D&D for what it is, but it seems too much a product that is resistant to innovation and change, that is unable to admit its mistakes and grow and change in response to a new and more creative market.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I want a reasonable argument that is different from the ten hundred billion ones that were presented to me yet were mostly the same repeated a thousand trillion times over, and let's face it, is it too much to ask for serious answers from serious people instead of boring trolls?

Here's Part 1, as this will take a while.

-----

Let us consider together the game;
(“D” and “D” abbreviated, you know)
And ponder ‘pon its failings manifold.
Let us ignore for the moment, the sort
Of problems of arithmetical kind
Which thus far predominate unduly
And focus instead upon the core of it.

Firstly, we must begin at the bottom,
And then work our way to the very peak.
Let us ask- what is the purpose of play?
Let anyone answer. They shan’t, they cannot.
Shall we explore the subterranean?
The castle, the citadel, the city?
Do we wish to find wealth, fame, or power?
Who are we? What are we? Why us? Why now?
These the manuals cannot answer us.

Secondly, we shall consider the sorts that,
(regrettably named, written in deep stone)
The game calls “classes”, though no school sighted.
Let us divide them into groups, or not,
But above all consider; no man
Or woman, alone is of position
Clerical, mystical, or violent.
This in turn cannot provide more than a
Fraction, of small dimension, of the
Nature of life, within the course of play.

Thirdly, we at last come to the matters
Of the magister or the magician,
The statistical art, and its companion,
Arithmetic. The curvature of the
Probabilities at play, renders you
Who, foolishly, plays the game quite freely,
With devil’s luck and God’s fortune too often
Saddled. Alas for those of modest kind,
Who wish not to have the burden Fortune
Riding them, like a bastard chevalier.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ask your question again in a serious fashion.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Even if you ignore the caster/martial divide and the abhorrent 6 save system, the emergent gameplay seems like it has a tendency to accidentally be vastly different from the advertised gameplay. And it's generally up to the DM to try to bring the two back together, with little to no aid from the game itself. This was the same issue my group had with 3e back in the day, and it's why I play Dungeon World now.

Though I actually find myself mildly intrigued by the emergent gameplay people are posting about. Skeleton hordes, tanky druids and hand crossbow/shield SWAT teams sound amusing as hell. But not $150 intrigued, and definitely not enough to run it (gently caress monster spell lists).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

He did not disallow the word 'wizard'? :shobon:

Actually, Gradenko, I think you're pretty uniquely suited to give him an answer (assuming he's asking in good faith, which he, well, might not be). You can draw comparisons to stuff like War in the Pacific and War in the East, which are also hypercomplex games whose subsystems can spectacularly self-destruct and whose fan base is pretty similar. Draw comparisons between things like WitP's ahistorically ineffective mines, WitE's non upgrading rifle squads, and D&D 5e's encounter design flaws, and the like.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ettin, toxx Plut on this TIA.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nah, it's a bad game, burden of proof is on you to demonstrate otherwise

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's not really surprising to me that people would take gentle ribbing about how samey and jargon-filled things are when talking about Dungeons and Dragons and turn it into the latest assault of the Plutonis Liberation Army against the good folks of Traditional Games, but it is disappointing how many people are taking it deadly seriously and not even having any fun with it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If plutonis really wanted to rile up TG he'd talk the admins into banning Monsterhearts games.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Effectronica posted:

It's not really surprising to me that people would take gentle ribbing about how samey and jargon-filled things are when talking about Dungeons and Dragons and turn it into the latest assault of the Plutonis Liberation Army against the good folks of Traditional Games, but it is disappointing how many people are taking it deadly seriously and not even having any fun with it.

See? D&d next isn't fun at all??

lmao

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I like RPGs

:)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Quarex posted:

I like RPGs

:)

You came to the wrong fuckin' neighborhood, buddy. We only like anime and mafia around here, in that order.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Empecemos por la pregunta más importante: "¿Qué es Mazmorras y Brujas?" Voy a dejar de responder plenamente a esta pregunta a mis más distinguidos colegas.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Meinberg posted:

I want to like D&D for what it is, but it seems too much a product that is resistant to innovation and change, that is unable to admit its mistakes and grow and change in response to a new and more creative market.

Well it was made in the 70's :v:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Only looking back at it from 2014. You have to keep in mind when you're looking at 70s stuff that "treating minorities like humans" was a fairly new concept to white America; even if our views have progressed, the amount of effort we put into doing anything about them has regressed a shitload.

Yeah but that is the major problem now isn't it. You immediately skip over to the jokiest of representations for a group of people who have hard time as it is with representation.
EDIT:
Never mind the fact that the politics have drastically changed in fifty years which honestly leaves a bit of the representation really kind of outdated in a way.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 16, 2014

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Since gender, race and sexuality have no bearing on your ability to shoot Illinois Nazi's in the face we do our best to leave them out of the rules. I think the one exception being a sidebar where we point out that just because the role is called "Good Old Boy" doesn't mean you can't be a "Good Old Girl".

It's really important to me that the game is inclusive, the source material we're drawing on was in it's own weird way very inclusive, the seventies were the first time (in America at least) that a lot of disenfranchised groups were getting represented in any meaningful way in the media especially film and music. I want people to play Androgynous Rock Gods, Rogue Police Women, Kung-Fu Child Prodigies and anything else they can think up. I've tried to represent this in the in-game examples throughout the book, the characters in the examples are very diverse and many of them break gender stereotypes, but also I leave a lot of them as blank slates in a way so that readers can imagine them however they want.

Also, bigotry is a trait of The Man and other villains. Heroes don't got time for that poo poo, they're too busy kickin' rear end.

Dude, I think you're being asked about Stonewall, but that's '69 so who knows.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 16, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Here's Part 1, as this will take a while.

-----

Let us consider together the game;
(“D” and “D” abbreviated, you know)
And ponder ‘pon its failings manifold.
Let us ignore for the moment, the sort
Of problems of arithmetical kind
Which thus far predominate unduly
And focus instead upon the core of it.

Firstly, we must begin at the bottom,
And then work our way to the very peak.
Let us ask- what is the purpose of play?
Let anyone answer. They shan’t, they cannot.
Shall we explore the subterranean?
The castle, the citadel, the city?
Do we wish to find wealth, fame, or power?
Who are we? What are we? Why us? Why now?
These the manuals cannot answer us.

Secondly, we shall consider the sorts that,
(regrettably named, written in deep stone)
The game calls “classes”, though no school sighted.
Let us divide them into groups, or not,
But above all consider; no man
Or woman, alone is of position
Clerical, mystical, or violent.
This in turn cannot provide more than a
Fraction, of small dimension, of the
Nature of life, within the course of play.

Thirdly, we at last come to the matters
Of the magister or the magician,
The statistical art, and its companion,
Arithmetic. The curvature of the
Probabilities at play, renders you
Who, foolishly, plays the game quite freely,
With devil’s luck and God’s fortune too often
Saddled. Alas for those of modest kind,
Who wish not to have the burden Fortune
Riding them, like a bastard chevalier.

Yes... Yes!!!

Really Pants posted:

Empecemos por la pregunta más importante: "¿Qué es Mazmorras y Brujas?" Voy a dejar de responder plenamente a esta pregunta a mis más distinguidos colegas.

If you made a 1000 word serious post in Spanish or Portuguese or the King of Languages: Esperanto, I will award you instead of Effectronica. Be warned, however, that I shall scour for grammatical errors!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Ettin, toxx Plut on this TIA.

I'm was raised by men and women of honor, I need no threats to make what I promise true.

Captain Foo posted:

Nah, it's a bad game, burden of proof is on you to demonstrate otherwise

I do not know how it is in Soviet Foochsia, but in democratic countries, you are innocent until proven guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
So I have been kicking around a game based on Southern Bastards and Justified; a game about small, hosed-up southern towns, sort of a new-Western thing. I live in the near-South and I've spent some time in the methier parts of Tennessee, so I'm not entirely bereft of personal inspiration, but I'm looking for more media to consume for ideas. Any good suggestions?

• Locked thread