Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

It's not a big deal, but you might want to post that in PGS just so random pubbies don't show up.

I thought all of Games was paywalled these days so random walk-ins shouldn't be a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I thought all of Games was paywalled these days so random walk-ins shouldn't be a problem?
I'm pretty sure the places that aren't perma-paywalled go behind and come back out of it at random. So even if it is, it might become unpaywalled while I am typing this.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I can't do much about the lag without lucking out and getting a better machine at whatever flea market I go to next, but in the meantime I'll leave this up as a persistent server and post a PGS thread if there's enough interest.

Awesome, I might drop in later tonight. I got my server up and running last night and have spent most of today exploring. It lags a bit running a medium-sized world, but no worse than I'm used to. And I can make it Christmas, forever.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I made a thing. First time I really spent any effort on non-functional things like a well and an outhouse. Also the first time I have bothered making a room for trophies.

The lag has been a little annoying at times, mostly when I am fighting jungle bats and they teleport into me 5 times in 1 second. It is certainly not unplayable though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Server trip report, rather fun! Except for when I fat fingered a bomb in the base :saddowns: Sorry about that.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I forgot how much it sucks to be a noob. Trying to avoid getting killed by everything and scrambling to get better equipment was actually pretty fun, though. Even got my husbgoon to join for a bit, before the lag got to be too much for me. Definitely will pop back in sometime when we're not managing our own server.

Machai posted:

I made a thing. First time I really spent any effort on non-functional things like a well and an outhouse. Also the first time I have bothered making a room for trophies.

drat. That looks way nicer than what I wasted my time on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Machai posted:

The lag has been a little annoying at times, mostly when I am fighting jungle bats and they teleport into me 5 times in 1 second. It is certainly not unplayable though.

You need to put some mud in that outhouse.

Meanwhile, in their language, I am Beevahkiin.

Also I have no idea why someone changed the wizard's penthouse so now it only has a nice picture window view of a garderobe with no entry.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Dareon posted:

You need to put some mud in that outhouse.

Meanwhile, in their language, I am Beevahkiin.

Also I have no idea why someone changed the wizard's penthouse so now it only has a nice picture window view of a garderobe with no entry.

I added an entry! If he wants to use that toilet he can drat well climb the chain attached to it :colbert:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Newbie trip report: I just got this game with some friends, and after a couple of hours of digging around, I found a whoopie cushion that does nothing but fart at my friends when I activate it. A++ would play again.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I really want to mod the difficulty server-side. This game's bosses are just so easy with 7 other gear-hungry goons voraciously tearing every scrap of treasure out of the earth.

With that said I love the direction the mountain retreat has gone in. What was once a cozy cabin hidden in the frozen heights of the land is now a sprawling, non-euclidian horror of tacky banners and random mismatched furniture, gravity-defying rooms glued onto the side with toilets draining directly onto the porch, and an NPC slum city right outside. Bombs have, at some point, been accidentally thrown in the house, as what was once a chimney for the fireplace has turned into a smoke ventilation system in what was clearly a hilariously hasty fix-up job. This doesn't seem to deter the Nurse from living right in the midst of it, though--carcinogens are just a myth, right!

I wandered over to Dareon's house and it's one of the coolest little things I've seen in Terraria.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dad Jokes posted:

Newbie trip report: I just got this game with some friends, and after a couple of hours of digging around, I found a whoopie cushion that does nothing but fart at my friends when I activate it. A++ would play again.

Combine it with a cloud in a bottle! It becomes a fart in a jar, which does the same thing as cloud in a bottle (lets you double jump) but it makes fart sounds at your friends just by jumping. Fun for everyone!
:downs:

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Sorry about that folks :(

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oops.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
After everyone went to bed today, the Steampunker spawned. In the exact perfect location.

I'd actually gone over to move her into the bathysphere, but she did it herself. The clothier also lives there at the moment.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

There's another flea market in my area this coming Saturday, maybe I can scrounge up a server actually made in the last decade! :toot:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I really want to mod the difficulty server-side. This game's bosses are just so easy with 7 other gear-hungry goons voraciously tearing every scrap of treasure out of the earth.

Spawn eight bosses at the same time? :getin:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

A fair warning to anyone wanting to join it now: we have left normal mode far behind. Plantera has been repeatedly uprooted, and the Golem shamed. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

indeed

we should stick all the good newbie stuff in the puzzle box and make them run it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Might have to hop in and give the server a try for a bit on a new character.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I added an entry! If he wants to use that toilet he can drat well climb the chain attached to it :colbert:

Seems like a lovely location for a chain though. :haw:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Evil Fluffy posted:

Might have to hop in and give the server a try for a bit on a new character.

Seems like a lovely location for a chain though. :haw:

We've pretty much pillaged the entire map, although you can have fun checking out the bathysphere and yellow submarine in the oceans, the various houses scattered about, and the chlorophyte farm in the hellevator. We have enough materials that you can jump straight to endgame or near-endgame gear, too.

Also the toilet still doesn't have a door, and someone made it into a literal honey bucket. And someone (me) built a giant cock and balls out of pine tree blocks.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Didn't see any good deals at the flea market, so we're gonna have to stick with the lovely server a bit longer unless someone has an alternative. I really do want to play with difficulty mods but it's pointless with the lag!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Didn't see any good deals at the flea market, so we're gonna have to stick with the lovely server a bit longer unless someone has an alternative. I really do want to play with difficulty mods but it's pointless with the lag!

idk the lag makes some stuff easier. I soloed fishron without much trouble because he would charge, reset to his initial position, then charge again. I just had to move out of range during the first charge and the others would not hit me while I sat there and killed him. Only real trouble was the sharknadoes which my army of pygmys handled fairly well on their own.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Hey, I just started playing this game. Do I have to put something on my hotbar to place it (i.e. walls) or is there a way to highlight items in my inventory and place them from there?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Machai posted:

idk the lag makes some stuff easier. I soloed fishron without much trouble because he would charge, reset to his initial position, then charge again. I just had to move out of range during the first charge and the others would not hit me while I sat there and killed him. Only real trouble was the sharknadoes which my army of pygmys handled fairly well on their own.

You got it backwards--I generally think the game is far too easy to begin with when you have more than 2 people, and the lag makes it even easier. I think balls-to-the-wall difficulty would be a lot of fun as it'd require more time investment and cooperation to do stuff, as well as better preperation in terms of arenas and consumables and traps. For me at least, that's the best part of Terraria.

Rashomon posted:

Hey, I just started playing this game. Do I have to put something on my hotbar to place it (i.e. walls) or is there a way to highlight items in my inventory and place them from there?

Press escape, pick up the item, and click on stuff in the world as you would if you'd picked it on your hotbar. Be careful not to close your inventory before putting it back down though or you'll throw the item.

Super Space Jam 64 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2014

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Rashomon posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but I think you can pick stuff up out of your open inventory and place it from there. You need to have autopause turned off though.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

And it's really easy to accidentally drop items when your inventory is open so be careful doing that.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there any good, up-to-date-ish mods for more colorized crafted lighting options? I was always a little bummed that I could only use torches to do different color mood lighting.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Another question, anyone still doing online? I can't seem to get it to work for me and I THINK I'm doing everything right.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Is anyone still playing on the server? If not, I'm probably going to shut it down to save on electricity costs, at least until I can get a better machine. I'll upload the map file for those interested in playing on, and the DB if you'd like to use your server-side character.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

graynull posted:

Are there any good, up-to-date-ish mods for more colorized crafted lighting options? I was always a little bummed that I could only use torches to do different color mood lighting.

I don't believe so. One of the old megamods might have some but be warned they're not going to be up-to-date as all of them are still using TConfig which stopped updating somewhere around Terraria 1.1.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I was farming ectoplasm for Spectre gear off-and-on all weekend and it was very quiet.

I've got a Core2 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM running 24/7 for Usenet. Is that an option for rehosting?

Thanks for setting that up by the way. I've put in far too much time in single player and that was the first time I even tried multi player.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Is anyone still playing on the server? If not, I'm probably going to shut it down to save on electricity costs, at least until I can get a better machine. I'll upload the map file for those interested in playing on, and the DB if you'd like to use your server-side character.
I've burnt myself out on terraria for the time being, had a ton of fun though. I'd be up for another goon rush in a month or two.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I've been thinking, you ever heard about the Mindcrack Games that were run on Minecraft? The premise is essentially the hunger games; all characters start at random places on the map in hardcore and PVP character modes, and from then on the last one standing wins. I've been wondering if that kind of thing could work in Terraria; just schedule a time then have the goons duke it out on a server. It could be cool!

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

PeePot posted:

I was farming ectoplasm for Spectre gear off-and-on all weekend and it was very quiet.

I've got a Core2 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM running 24/7 for Usenet. Is that an option for rehosting?

Thanks for setting that up by the way. I've put in far too much time in single player and that was the first time I even tried multi player.

This is significantly more powerful than the machine I was using, which had a single-core CPU clocked at 900MHz and only 1GB RAM. I expect it'd be totally smooth running medium and possibly even large maps.

If you want to take a stab at it, I'll send you the map and DB and some basic instructions on how to get set up, as well as basic information on how to get a free DNS configured if you need it. What OS are you using, and do you have a solid-state drive?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I just tried a medium map and it seemed pretty smooth, logging in from another part of the city.

Definitely not using an SSD, even worse it's just an old 5400RPM. That will be remedied though. Running Win7 64-bit.

If you don't mind sending me that stuff my gmail is 'peepotsa'

PeePot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 18, 2014

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Speedrazor should just get back to terraria servers. I remember playing on a huge map with 30 other players. Best experience I've ever had with the game.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So I just started playing this game, in a newly-created world with a new character, after a very long hiatus and the second slime I killed dropped a slime staff.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'd say that you're now cursed to take forever to find a hook, but of course you can just make grapples out of gems these days.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I'd say that you're now cursed to take forever to find a hook, but of course you can just make grapples out of gems these days.

Thank god they changed that, farming a hook was awful.

See also, in what I think was a leaked version of the game pre-release, farming jungle monsters for a 1/500 drop for each piece of the jungle armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think that lasted into actual release too.

• Locked thread