Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Solaris Knight posted:

This derail is extra fun for me. Now we have to get Occ into Power Rangers. :shepface:

This would probably be my specialty, because I watched every episode of every season from the start of MMPR until the end of Lost Galaxy, and I have good memories that I'm sure would be totally destroyed by seeing the show again at 32.

If you just want to destroy Occ via a long running program, give him The Simpsons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every episode of every version of Star Trek.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BSam posted:

I know a lot of people don't like the 'love life' joke, but you seem to be projecting something else on top of that pretty hard.

One of the many reasons That Joke comes off as so ghoulish is because the unfortunate implications of Ursula's situation are legion, take very little thought to predict, and completely overwhelm the script's reasons as to why it's actually a good thing. The best the script gives us as to why the Block is positive is because "it's very peaceful, and I'll be young forever." That's after two weeks. The mind, upon hearing "live forever," jumps ahead two hundred or thousand or million years and shudders at the images which present themselves. And that's before That Joke crawls onstage and adds an extra layer of horror to the proceedings.

So yes, he's projecting, but his projections are probably more on-point than the "official" scenario given to us.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

So Ursula, would you like to go a round with... the jackhammer?

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 16, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Two billion years in the future, the Face of Boe hits a few buttons on the Old Earth Jukebox and works up his courage, but decides not to ask the other face-person in the room to dance when she begins to scream as soon as "Mr. Blue Sky" begins playing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Every episode of every version of Star Trek.

No lie, I planned to do this.

I may still do this. Very serious.

In Chronological order. In universe.

(So that'd be Enterprise, TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 and then Voyager)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I was about to advise against doing this (I did, except with Enterprise at the end), but I realized that every single way that I could phrase it would derail this thread into a Star Trek v. Who argument, which is the worst thing on the entire internet that isn't an argument over whether Mike or Joel is better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

That would be a trek

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Burkion posted:

Where would the DS9 tribble episode go? Alternate universe?

I don't want to start this conversation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Toxxupation posted:

That would be a trek

I would sleep on that idea for a while, maybe babysit it for a bit, make sure you really want to do this

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Some of those episodes really don't age well, I mean they might've touched you when you were a kid but now that you're older you might be violating your memories

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Plus you'd have to be obsessed with that program and I mean obsessed, like you'd have to be some sort of pet-show-phile to do that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Plus you'd have to be obsessed with that program and I mean obsessed, like you'd have to be some sort of pet-show-phile to do that

I can actually think of no reason to finish Voyager besides having literal obsessive-compulsive disorder and having an obsession for lack of completion with regard to media which can only be assuaged by compulsively completing said media.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Aatrek joke.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I heard there's a new Star Trek film currently in production for next year.

I also heard the word Homestuck. (God I wish the final update would come already!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

To be honest, that's part of the reason I want to.

I'm not. Frankly, I am not a big Trek fan. I'm not really a Trek fan at all-I know of it, I've seen some episodes, I thought some were good.

But I feel like I should be, and part of it would be for entertainment at the very least. I can put up with a lot of poo poo if I think it'll entertain. It sounds fun to me. I will admit I have a burning itch to finish things I start as well, which might be the only reason I get through Voyager which I've heard 'Things' about.

But this isn't about my foolish ideas to watch and review a sprawling scifi franchise-this is about YOUR foolish ideas to watch and review a sprawling scifi series.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Burk, you'd give up the second A Night in Sickbay happened. Mark my words.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus Christ if that joke whooshed over you people any harder there'd be a wind tunnel overhead. Trek-chat over.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

To be honest, that's part of the reason I want to.

I'm not. Frankly, I am not a big Trek fan. I'm not really a Trek fan at all-I know of it, I've seen some episodes, I thought some were good.

But I feel like I should be, and part of it would be for entertainment at the very least. I can put up with a lot of poo poo if I think it'll entertain. It sounds fun to me. I will admit I have a burning itch to finish things I start as well, which might be the only reason I get through Voyager which I've heard 'Things' about.

But this isn't about my foolish ideas to watch and review a sprawling scifi franchise-this is about YOUR foolish ideas to watch and review a sprawling scifi series.

I went until I was 29 years old without seeing literally a single moment of Star Trek and decided to just take the plunge. I'm basically incapable of watching something without watching all of it, so I did. I really and truly cannot recommend anybody doing this to themselves for any reason, unless maybe somebody is paying you a good deal of money to do it or somebody has a family member of yours hostage.

e: we know it's an Aatrek joke, Oxx; at least it's better than talking about Homestuck.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Nice and big, so you can see all the hosed up details. Let the image cement itself into your mind.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How can anyone prefer that to death? But noooo, in comes the Doctor with his magic screwdriver.

He really is a monster :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That episode sucks dick.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That doesn't even look like cement. BBC artists are too middle class to know what commoners walk on.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
We should probably just let this piece of poo poo die and be forgotten, but... I just can't. Let's imagine what happens after the episode ends. Elton keeps Ursula in his flat, propping her up in front of the History Channel when he goes to work. He gets home and eats dinner on the couch beside her, talking. They watch a sitcom or two together as he strokes her forehead, then their eyes meet, and she smiles like mercury. Elton places two pillows behind the heavy concrete slab, standing near vertical at the edge of the sofa. He pulls down his pants and kneels in front of her for a while. A towel, then he climbs into bed and lays her next to him, reading aloud from a dusty library book, Frost or Swift or Milton until they fall asleep.

They live a fairytale romance for months, then dark clouds roll in. It turns out that Elton's part-time job at a used-book store doesn't cover the rent; he had been living partially off his mother's inheritance, but his bank account is running low. She encourages him to find a full time job, but his resume is rather bare, and, well, he just doesn't have a way with people. She nags, they worry, he spends hours curled up on the bed, staring into the void, his back to her.

More months pass, and finally they have a long, somber talk. That night, his soul heavy, Elton logs onto Craigslist, or whatever the British equivalent of it is. Simonslist or Nigelslist or something. In the personals section, he posts a carefully worded ad. For the jaded, wealthy gentleman who has tried everything...

Weeks of weeding out the credulous, then a Skype conversation where Ursula struggles to lift her eyes to the webcam. Finally, a knock on the door at 8PM. He's fifty-something, short and pudgy and balding, but his dark navy Burberry speaks of money. Eyes darting, Elton invites him in, and they furtively talk business for long minutes. Elton walks slowly over to their worn couch and removes a towel. Ursula blinks, looking up for just a second.

"That's..."

"A girl. In stone."

"Please," he huffs. "Inside the sofa-"

Elton lifts the block two feet above a faded floral pattern. "Smile, mica," he whispers. She manages a forced grin.

His eyes are wide. "Whuh... how?"

"Don't ask how," Elton sighs as he leans his angel back against the cushions. "She's real. She's alive. And for five hundred quid, she'll give you an experience no man has ever had."

The bills are paid, the rent secure for another month. Ursula's tears are like gray rainwater, and no amount of Windex can make her feel clean again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So two questions I don't want to ask but now have to because gently caress you for showing me the full picture.

First- how does she talk?

Second- where do things she swallows go?

I'm talking about food. :ssh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gynovore posted:

We should probably just let this piece of poo poo die and be forgotten, but... I just can't. Let's imagine what happens after the episode ends. Elton keeps Ursula in his flat, propping her up in front of the History Channel when he goes to work. He gets home and eats dinner on the couch beside her, talking. They watch a sitcom or two together as he strokes her forehead, then their eyes meet, and she smiles like mercury. Elton places two pillows behind the heavy concrete slab, standing near vertical at the edge of the sofa. He pulls down his pants and kneels in front of her for a while. A towel, then he climbs into bed and lays her next to him, reading aloud from a dusty library book, Frost or Swift or Milton until they fall asleep.

They live a fairytale romance for months, then dark clouds roll in. It turns out that Elton's part-time job at a used-book store doesn't cover the rent; he had been living partially off his mother's inheritance, but his bank account is running low. She encourages him to find a full time job, but his resume is rather bare, and, well, he just doesn't have a way with people. She nags, they worry, he spends hours curled up on the bed, staring into the void, his back to her.

More months pass, and finally they have a long, somber talk. That night, his soul heavy, Elton logs onto Craigslist, or whatever the British equivalent of it is. Simonslist or Nigelslist or something. In the personals section, he posts a carefully worded ad. For the jaded, wealthy gentleman who has tried everything...

Weeks of weeding out the credulous, then a Skype conversation where Ursula struggles to lift her eyes to the webcam. Finally, a knock on the door at 8PM. He's fifty-something, short and pudgy and balding, but his dark navy Burberry speaks of money. Eyes darting, Elton invites him in, and they furtively talk business for long minutes. Elton walks slowly over to their worn couch and removes a towel. Ursula blinks, looking up for just a second.

"That's..."

"A girl. In stone."

"Please," he huffs. "Inside the sofa-"

Elton lifts the block two feet above a faded floral pattern. "Smile, mica," he whispers. She manages a forced grin.

His eyes are wide. "Whuh... how?"

"Don't ask how," Elton sighs as he leans his angel back against the cushions. "She's real. She's alive. And for five hundred quid, she'll give you an experience no man has ever had."

The bills are paid, the rent secure for another month. Ursula's tears are like gray rainwater, and no amount of Windex can make her feel clean again.

I'm quoting this so you can feel sufficient shame for literally posting a doctor who sex fanfic itt

also, don't ever loving do this again

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Toxx post a new review I'm begging you :gonk:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Burn this thread to the ground.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In hopes of salvaging something, I'll post a question I'd be interested in hearing either OPs response to: What do you know about the original incarnation of Doctor Who? This could be anything you've seen, heard, picked up via osmosis... Do either of you know or have opinions on the old Doctors, what is your gut reaction about that era of TV in general (I think Oxx has gone into this subject a little). I suppose as someone who caught the tail end of the series before it died and has since gone back and enjoyed a lot of the old stuff, I'd like to hear the first-glance impression of two people who seem to have mainly seen and enjoyed the new incarnation.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Something horrible has happened in this thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Never worry, the Tardis is warping in in Pleasant Hill, Missouri, to prevent this post from being made, hopefully the sonic screwdriver won't do to much damage to the servers.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
I want to ask a question that will hopefully get us away from that sexual fanfic.

It might stick out to me more because I'm in an interracial relationship, but aside from RTD attempting to "normalize" gay characters, there also happen to be a lot of interracial relationships in the show. Specifically, ones where the race of either person is never really mentioned (unless it's set in an older time period). Once again, maybe because I'm extra sensitive to it, but there are hardly any such relationships in American television, and if there are, characters usually feel the need to make a comment about the racial difference.

So I guess the question is - is this more of an RTD thing, or just a difference between American television and the BBC?

I'm also watching the show for the first time, so I wanted to put this in here where others new to the show could maybe help explain.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RTD thing, mostly. Sorta.

Moffat's run has had a lot fewer relationships like that, but one or two notable ones that are important.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd say that's maybe more of a difference between American television and British television, not just the BBC. I've seen plenty of shows where relationships with two partners of different races are commonplace and not remarked upon.

Racism is still a big problem in Britain - I don't want to short-sell it, it's serious - but I think it's possibly something that's even more of a problem in America, due to various historical and cultural factors.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
As a Brit, the only time I might really expect it to be remarked on is with an Asian/non-Asian relationship, and even that depends on the portrayal of the Asian family in question. There are some unfortunately ghettoised places in Britain where people get very ... traditional about marriage and keeping it within the subcontinent/their particular part of the subcontinent. Sometimes rather too traditional: there was a study sometime in the last year or so which found the high incidence of first cousin marriages in areas of Bradford had significantly increased the occurence of expressed genetic defects, IIRC.

Oh, or Irish Catholic/Irish Protestant. That would probably warrant at least a brief mention, though it's obviously not so much race being the issue.

That said, while I think most of our mixed relationships pass more or less unremarked upon, I get the gut impression that Davies era Who does have more of them than the average programme does or did. Haven't really thought about it before.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
This thread started as a man's reaction to staring into the abyss. Then it became that abyss.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

RTD thing, mostly. Sorta.

Basically that, with heavy on the sorta. You can tell RTD went out of his way to include them, but racism is definitely more apparent in American media (at least from my casual observance). I think sometimes Indian characters are treated kind of strangely by British media, but not so much in Doctor Who.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

In hopes of salvaging something, I'll post a question I'd be interested in hearing either OPs response to: What do you know about the original incarnation of Doctor Who? This could be anything you've seen, heard, picked up via osmosis... Do either of you know or have opinions on the old Doctors, what is your gut reaction about that era of TV in general (I think Oxx has gone into this subject a little). I suppose as someone who caught the tail end of the series before it died and has since gone back and enjoyed a lot of the old stuff, I'd like to hear the first-glance impression of two people who seem to have mainly seen and enjoyed the new incarnation.

Literally the only stuff I knew about Doctor Who before this thread was whatever Oxxidation deigned to tell me whenever he would talk about DW and my gay roomate when I was in the army drunkenly telling me a vague synopsis of what the show was about

As an aside, here is how my gay roommate in the army came out to me:

Fade in on Occupation playing video games at two in the morning

He bursts in through the door adjoining our two rooms, clearly wasted as gently caress

"HEY, <OCCUPATION'S LAST NAME>"

"yeah dude"

"I'M A human being"

"k, thats coo"

Then we argued about whether or not DADT should be repealed for like an hour

then i didnt bring it up to him for a couple of weeks because I didnt know if he accidentally outed himself and wanted to be sensitive to his feelings

that dude ruled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh my God, who got all this smut over my good carpet. SOMEONE'S SLEEPING IN THE YARD TONIGHT.

Gaz-L posted:

I've seen some clips of Tom Baker and one from the Happiness Patrol episode or something where the Doctor psyches out a sniper into dropping his gun, but my experience with the serials is limited and I have no intention of broadening it. Like Occ said, I'm rarely interested in TV, especially when it's so cheap-looking, slow-paced, and dull in spite of its inherent ridiculousness (yes, yes, "I thought we were talking about the serials and not nu-Who, nyuck nyuck nyuck").

• Locked thread