Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Jotaro kicking the living poo poo out of Dio is a perfectly reasonable prediction for someone to have. I know that's what I had expected to happen the entirety of the way through part 3, and really I find it hard to believe that anyone seriously expects something else to happen except for maaaybe some kind of team attack where the whole team would defeat Dio at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, "protagonist beats main villain" doesn't exactly require advance knowledge of the source material to predict.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's a pretty obvious prediction but the specific wording of "Jotaro inevitably gets the upper hand on DIO and shows the world the best beatdown ever seen." is slightly suspicious.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but who cares? As long as nobody spergs out about it, nobody's gonna get spoiled.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah it's being snide but if you don't point out that there's spoilers in the text then nobody will know

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Gruckles posted:

It's a pretty obvious prediction but the specific wording of "Jotaro inevitably gets the upper hand on DIO and shows the world the best beatdown ever seen." is slightly suspicious.

Isn't the World named by this point in the anime? I think Enya goes off about how unspecifiedly amazing it is and names it at that point.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

Isn't the World named by this point in the anime? I think Enya goes off about how unspecifiedly amazing it is and names it at that point.

It's not, but anyone with even a little knowledge about Tarot can guess what it is.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think Dio and Enya have both mentioned "the world" in ways that don't make it clear it's his stand, but if you know the tarot it would be pretty easy to pick up on too. Unless for some reason you thought Dio would end up with The Fool.
Either way like the other guys said there's no actual problem as long as nobody confronts him about it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Aurain posted:

This post over in the Anime thread kind of reads like an "educated" guess. I hope he's not trying to do that though because that's lame.

I mean, to not be able to predict that Jotaro is gonna beat up Dio, you'd have to never have seen a shonen in your life.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why are people whining about hypothetical spoilers in the manga thread now? This is some unhealthy paranoia, anti-trust bullshit. Make spoilers mandatory.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

quakster posted:

Why are people whining about hypothetical spoilers in the manga thread now? This is some unhealthy paranoia, anti-trust bullshit. Make spoilers mandatory.

Dude, someone in this very thread was complaining about possible piracy just because a guy used the word grab. People on this forum are just weird, just have to roll with it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ten dollars worth of crazy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Ten dollars worth of crazy.

You get way more than ten bucks worth, it's the best deal you can ask for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gruckles posted:

I think Dio and Enya have both mentioned "the world" in ways that don't make it clear it's his stand, but if you know the tarot it would be pretty easy to pick up on too. Unless for some reason you thought Dio would end up with The Fool.
Either way like the other guys said there's no actual problem as long as nobody confronts him about it.

Personally, I always thought it'd be really neat if Jonathan's Stand was The Fool (albeit with a different effect) instead of Hermit Purple and Dio's was The World, given how the story of the Tarot Cards works.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How many breads do you serve with your pasta?

I thought that was Tonio, but

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Personally, I always thought it'd be really neat if Jonathan's Stand was The Fool (albeit with a different effect) instead of Hermit Purple and Dio's was The World, given how the story of the Tarot Cards works.

The way I always looked at it was that the World was always Jonathan's stand and that its power was to be able to use any stand power any existing Joestar had. Hence why it has both HP and SP's abilities.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Josuke had Crazy Diamond at that point. Then again, even if he did and The World worked that way, it's not like DIO would get any benefit from it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Josuke had Crazy Diamond at that point. Then again, even if he did and The World worked that way, it's not like DIO would get any benefit from it.

I like the idea that The World had Crazy Diamond's power, but DIO never knew simply because he never desired to heal or restore anything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hoobajoo posted:

I like the idea that The World had Crazy Diamond's power, but DIO never knew simply because he never desired to heal or restore anything.

It'd be hilarious if Dio used it on himself and restored his humanity.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

MelvinBison posted:

The way I always looked at it was that the World was always Jonathan's stand and that its power was to be able to use any stand power any existing Joestar had. Hence why it has both HP and SP's abilities.

I like that theory too (and that Holly/DIO's vague sense of what Jotaro and Joseph were doing was part of Holly's stand power), but the canon explanation is that "The Vines" was Jonathan's stand manifesting through his body, and the behind-the-scenes reason is "Araki ditched his original idea of The World being every stand power."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Tobaccrow posted:

I like that theory too (and that Holly/DIO's vague sense of what Jotaro and Joseph were doing was part of Holly's stand power), but the canon explanation is that "The Vines" was Jonathan's stand manifesting through his body, and the behind-the-scenes reason is "Araki ditched his original idea of The World being every stand power."

Oh. That sucks. :smith: Spirit photography doesn't seem very useful for a guy from Victorian England. Especially Jonathan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MelvinBison posted:

Oh. That sucks. :smith: Spirit photography doesn't seem very useful for a guy from Victorian England. Especially Jonathan.

Ignore the canon. It's just word of god, not actually in the manga, and JoJo is full of plotholes anyway. Your theory is better.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, it was said that Josuke had a fever when he was 5, during the events of Stardust Crusaders, which I assume means he had the same "Stand sickness" as Holly. Makes me wonder if Holly actually got to keep her Stand since Josuke apparently did.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Star Platinum posted:

Yeah, it was said that Josuke had a fever when he was 5, during the events of Stardust Crusaders, which I assume means he had the same "Stand sickness" as Holly. Makes me wonder if Holly actually got to keep her Stand since Josuke apparently did.

I wouldn't doubt that she did, but whether or not she can consciously manifest it is another question.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My favorite thing about Stands is how, in Stardust Crusaders, Araki lays out this list of rules for Stands and it takes him like a couple Stands for him to go "why did I do that?" and begin breaking them.

Araki has plans for most of his stories but he will change them on a whim and make no effort to explain it, unless he has to throw out some bullshit because people ask the same question too many times. I honestly don't think his answers are any more valid than the fans' for most of the plotholes he leaves in his wake.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stands, as a rule, cannot heat things up to cause spontaneous combustion. They also, generally speaking, don't give you the ability to predict the future, to possess your opponent, to stop time or to conjure a gun out of nowhere.

Stands have a lot of rules.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Like right from the get go Jotaro has all that stuff in his cell, then you find out Star Platinum can't go more than a couple of meters away so―

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Potsticker posted:

Like right from the get go Jotaro has all that stuff in his cell, then you find out Star Platinum can't go more than a couple of meters away so―
His cell was right next to the contraband locker?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nessus posted:

poo poo, that makes sense.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nessus posted:

It's plausible I guess. I dunno what kind of stuff ends up in those things.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

poo poo, that makes sense.

He could always just be stealing stuff from dudes who walk by outside, too.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
both of these are satisfying explanations for the treadmill

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LvK posted:

There were drugs hidden in the treadmill.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LvK posted:

Coco Jumbo happened to wander by at an inopportune moment.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, I'm okay with that inconsistency just because it led to a loving great sight gag.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

Considering Joseph was able to make a map out of dirt on the ground, as well as the abundance of mirrors, I'm sure...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In retrospect you can't help but think about it, and that kills the gag for me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LvK posted:

Moving truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How did DIO fix Pucci's foot if it wasn't for his Crazy Diamond.

• Locked thread