Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So is Dragonfall a sequel to Dead Man's Switch or am I gonna be making a new character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shindragon posted:

30 gigs full if you are curious.

It's huge.
30 gig DOWNLOAD or 30 gig install? Again, install size is no big deal. I think Assassin's Creed 4 was a 33GB install but a 23GB download.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Excuse me, everyone. With Manga Maker ComiPo being 75% off, I would like to make an important announcement!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Living the dream.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

win

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I wouldn't be surprised if Freak Futa was an actual character template in this program.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Excuse me, everyone. With Manga Maker ComiPo being 75% off, I would like to make an important announcement!

It's gay but please do it anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eruonen posted:

It's gay but please do it anyway.

It'll still be unamusing, but at least now he'll have pictures to break up his words.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Can't say that looks like anything good, but the store page community stuff is kind of amusing.

Ok the first few posts, only.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 17, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Freak Futanari posted:

So wait, all of your posts will be manga, or you're coming out? Because both are awesome.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Eruonen posted:

Everything that made the MP games good aside from the bullet time mechanic is completely gone. They for whatever reason did away with the cool NYC, kinda noir setting and moved for the most part to sunny Brazil in the slums. The cutscenes are awful, just like the story. The bullet dodging mechanic isn't as good as the previous games. I have no idea how they could gently caress that up but they did. The game has very bad voice acting and the dialog is completely uninteresting. The bits where you hear enemies talk before you shoot them to bits is massively reduced. Dick Justice, Address Unknown and Lords and Ladies are gone completely afaik, with nothing even remotely as good to replace it. They didn't put much time and love into the details in the map. I loved Max Payne 2's apartement level. Max' apartment with the voicemail and other details lying around. The telescope in that one room, etc. It's gone.

Even when you don't compare it to Max Payne but games in general the maps are pretty drat boring, the story is stupid as hell (in a bad way) and the shooting and movement isn't as good as it could be. It's a generic third person cover based shooter with a gimmick. In fact, it's worse than most generic third person shooters because the maps are so badly designed that it's hard to move from cover to cover at times.

I'm a bit tired so it might not be as coherent as I'd like it to be, but I hope this answers your question. This is just my opinion and while I feel strongly about it, I realize other people like the game and that's fine. I hated it a lot and it's easily in my top 10 most disliked games. In part because it failed to do almost everything the previous games did right, but also because it's just not a good game even if it wasn't a Max Payne game.

What annoyed me most was the lovely plot device they used to shoehorn Max into the new setting. Max kills a mob boss' son and is therefore effectively "dead in this city". Never mind that in video game land Max is an unstoppable super human that has killed literally hundreds of heavily armed gangsters and thugs. Being targeted by the mob is probably a problem he would throw himself at expecting to die and end up surviving anyways, which is the kind of thing his character does in these games. Instead he fucks off to South America because that's what the lame plot needs him to do (video game journalists insert ludonarrative dissonance remark here).

Hell, I'd say that a game about Max struggling to survive against all odds in Jersey against a mob boss that has a personal vendetta against him would have been far more appropriate to what the earlier games established than to what we actually ended up getting.

I blame Man on Fire.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unbalanced posted:

What annoyed me most was the lovely plot device they used to shoehorn Max into the new setting. Max kills a mob boss' son and is therefore effectively "dead in this city". Never mind that in video game land Max is an unstoppable super human that has killed literally hundreds of heavily armed gangsters and thugs. Being targeted by the mob is probably a problem he would throw himself at expecting to die and end up surviving anyways, which is the kind of thing his character does in these games. Instead he fucks off to South America because that's what the lame plot needs him to do (video game journalists insert ludonarrative dissonance remark here).

Hell, I'd say that a game about Max struggling to survive against all odds in Jersey against a mob boss that has a personal vendetta against him would have been far more appropriate to what the earlier games established than to what we actually ended up getting.

I blame Man on Fire.

Yeah but if the game is only about shooting people in the face how will Rockstar manage to reduce every cultural issue they can get their hands on to morning radio DJ level of snark.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

So is Dragonfall a sequel to Dead Man's Switch or am I gonna be making a new character?
Nope, it actually occurs in Germany around the same time as DMS so you're supposed to roll a new character.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Unbalanced posted:

I blame Man on Fire.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Someone's enjoying their new toy. Suspension of disbelief has nothing to do with what I didn't like about the story though.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah but if the game is only about shooting people in the face how will Rockstar manage to reduce every cultural issue they can get their hands on to morning radio DJ level of snark.

I dunno, audiologs or something.

Unbalanced fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 17, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

If you keep this up I can see you becoming as well-loved as the Original Gamequoter.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

Somewhat videogame related: Indie Royale ditched the cute illustrations and overall aesthetic of their website and now looks like every other bundle site around (very ugly). What the heck, dudes.

Yeah, I couldn't believe this. It was actually a clean, nice-looking bundle site.

Now it looks completely lovely and like a million other sites. Can't imagine what they're were thinking with the redesign.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

30 gig DOWNLOAD or 30 gig install? Again, install size is no big deal. I think Assassin's Creed 4 was a 33GB install but a 23GB download.

Pretty sure that's the download size.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Pretty sure that's the download size.

No, you can't have a larger download size than install size. B-Nubs said the 30GB was the space the game needed to concurrently download and install - The game download and the swapfile for extraction and stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Except the unskipable cut scenes, those are bullshit.

At least those are genuinely masking (bizarrely long) loading times so they have a reason for being partly unskippable (you can usually skip them after 20-30s if you have a good computer).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I love Max Payne.

If Max Payne 3 was Max in New York again shooting mobsters, I'd have been loving bored out of my skull and I'm glad they at least tried to take the series in a new direction.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I love this. Also my brain reads it in an anime voice of unknown origin.

Crappy Jack posted:

If Max Payne 3 was Max in New York again shooting mobsters, I'd have been loving bored out of my skull

Don't agree with this at all though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Max Payne 3 is irredeemable garbage for idiots.

I WON'T KILL YOU, THAT'S NOT JUSTICE *has killed a million hired guards who didn't even break the law*

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Crappy Jack posted:

I love Max Payne.

If Max Payne 3 was Max in New York again shooting mobsters, I'd have been loving bored out of my skull and I'm glad they at least tried to take the series in a new direction.

http://youtu.be/lKsH87AEF2Q?t=49s

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

u suk

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Not to sound rude or anything, but could we use [timg] tags when posting massive images? Since I for one (dunno about anyone else here; probably a couple I guess) am trying to sneakily read through the Steam thread during quiet periods at work, but don't want to get busted with massive comics/whatever filling the screen, if possible!

Unbalanced posted:

I blame Man on Fire.

Alright, I think you've all put me off getting Max Payne 3 - I think I might just buy MP2 and play through that again.
Actually, on the topic of Max Payne, how does the original compare to MP2? Since I've only played the second, although I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played through it ages ago, and wouldn't mind more of the same.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, I think you've all put me off getting Max Payne 3 - I think I might just buy MP2 and play through that again.
Actually, on the topic of Max Payne, how does the original compare to MP2? Since I've only played the second, although I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played through it ages ago, and wouldn't mind more of the same.
In my personal opinion 2 is so far better than 1 that you're better off just playing 2. 1 has aged horribly and isn't fun. 2 was fun though and deserves the praise it gets.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

max payne 3 is a good game because its fun to play

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Not to sound rude or anything, but could we use [timg] tags when posting massive images? Since I for one (dunno about anyone else here; probably a couple I guess) am trying to sneakily read through the Steam thread during quiet periods at work, but don't want to get busted with massive comics/whatever filling the screen, if possible!

The first is much harder for one, though not the good kind of harder. There's some bad platforming dream sequence levels, one level that's more like a timed puzzle where you escape a burning building (except much harder than the one in MP2), a really bad stealth section (that doesn't last long, 2 minutes maybe, but its still bad) and bullet time is a much more limited resource. It doesn't regenerate over time, only by killing enemies, and shoot dodges consume a set amount each use as well, whereas in MP2 shoot dodges are free. Several of the bosses are ridiculous bullet sponges. In a nutshell it can be kind of awkward to go back to, especially as MP2, but it has the same great atmosphere and characters and the shooting against normal enemies is still mostly fun.

Edit: For the record, I though MP3 was fun to play but the complete lack of self-awareness in the narrative and characters sucked a lot of fun out of it. Also the unskippable cutscenes. I want back to play it again shortly after I finished it the first time and planned to just skip over everything that involved talking and as soon as I saw I couldn't skip the loving 5 minute cutscene at the start of the second level, combined with 3 minute cutscene at the end of the first level, I said "gently caress this" and uninstalled it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 17, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I didn't think it was fun to play. It was pretty boring in fact. But yeah, to each their own.

I think Max Payne 1 is still good. I liked 2 better but 1 still has a ton of charm and the gameplay is great.

e: Some of the dream sequences are bad though.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

max payne 3 is a good game because its fun to play

Counterpoint, Max Payne 3 is a bad game because it is not fun to play.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I preferred Max Payne 1 because the changes to the mechanics in 2 felt kinda weird. Having to make sure you made back the meter you lost during a shootdodge and not having it regen was a pretty cool way of managing limited resources, and you HAD to dodge (not necessarily shootdodge) in 1 since bullets were much more lethal and the mooks were always in the habit of firing at where you were, which was way better than 2's "oh hey you got shot 10 times just drop a bottle of pills and be fine."

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I turn off images and avatars when I browse at work. It's a good idea. It's in the options in user control panel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

Het Gyped

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freak Futanari posted:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i keep almost buying this. still need to finish etrian odyssey 4 though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LibbyM posted:

Counterpoint, Max Payne 3 is a bad game because it is not fun to play.

Conflicting opinions in this thread

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Major Isoor posted:

I, on the other hand, loved MP3. I found the story engaging and interesting and the gameplay was incredible. Outside the lovely literal final boss, I totally loved it.

Just use a trainer for unlimited bullettime.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Iron Rose posted:

I, on the other hand, loved MP3. I found the story engaging and interesting and the gameplay was incredible. Outside the lovely literal final boss, I totally loved it.

Just use a trainer for unlimited bullettime.

This is a terrible thread for Max Payne consumer advice, I dunno wtf to do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

peter gabriel posted:

This is a terrible thread for Max Payne consumer advice, I dunno wtf to do now

listen to the person with the better av

• Locked thread