Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

American Gods should work better as a TV show than a novel. It's very episodic, there's a big supporting cast, and the lead is basically a blank slate. He's barely a character, so some smart casting should make him a lot more sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

IRQ posted:

My mom keeps telling me I'd like that book. I keep telling her it's boring as hell.

As for modern gods in present day, just watch Stargate again!
Yeah but I'm not really a fan of the ancient aliens/gods are really super advance aliens trope

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've been watching it with a younger sibling and Gravity Falls is extremely good stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang on a sec here. Brickleberry still exists?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Hang on a sec here. Brickleberry still exists?

What? Uh, nope! No siree, it sure doesn't. La la la la I can't hear you and refuse to live in that reality la lala laalal

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

I've been watching it with a younger sibling and Gravity Falls is extremely good stuff

It is, I can't wait for the next episode to air in 2018, and then the one after that in 2063 after the Fast Food Wars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't even read past the first few pages; I just couldn't resist the joke.

Oh man good one dude

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

American Gods should work better as a TV show than a novel. It's very episodic, there's a big supporting cast, and the lead is basically a blank slate. He's barely a character, so some smart casting should make him a lot more sympathetic.

Shadow is kind of an odd character because he's a lot smarter than he acts for a huge chunk of the book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

British sitcoms have really weird names.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Today in "holy poo poo DC slow the gently caress down" news, Fox has made a pilot commitment for a Lucifer series from Californication's Tom Kapinos.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
House of Cards is my favorite show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Today in "holy poo poo DC slow the gently caress down" news, Fox has made a pilot commitment for a Lucifer series from Californication's Tom Kapinos.

I'm assuming they aren't going to directly adapt the comic as late in the series Lucifer barely shows up.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

HorseRenoir posted:

Nope none of this slowing down business. The more of this we can get, the more I'm down. What do you think it'd take for Mark Pellegrino to take on a different Lucifer?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In a total no way it would ever happen, Tom Hiddlestone would be a perfect Vertigo Lucifer.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wonder if the DC shows on different networks are ever gonna cross over. Constantine and Lucifer seems like a no-brainer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I wonder if the DC shows on different networks are ever gonna cross over. Constantine and Lucifer seems like a no-brainer.

The Lucifer announcement article says that they're all technically the same production company. So... maybe?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Judd Apatow is creating a new Netflix show. http://deadline.com/2014/09/judd-apatow-comedy-series-netflix-paul-rust-gillian-jacobs-star-829825/

The premise sounds bland as poo poo -- Paul Rust (who co-created), Gillian Jacobs, something something commitment issues -- but I always trust the artist over the premise. They've already given it two seasons; it'll go up in 2016.

Apatow is always so long-winded and episodic with his movies, a Netflix TV show is the perfect outlet. Funny People and This is 40 were way too long, and even Knocked Up could use some punching up.

Not 40-Year-Old Virgin though, that movie is basically perfect.

edit: I apparently have 5 mutual friends on Facebook with Paul Rust. I'm getting closer to Kevin Bacon every day.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 17, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Shadow is kind of an odd character because he's a lot smarter than he acts for a huge chunk of the book.
All Gaiman characters tend to just quietly go along with the plot because it's the plot. It makes it very hard to figure out their motivations.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Sandman is really cool.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
GUYS. GUYS. WATCH HIGH MOON, It's the greatest thing ever. Why the gently caress did Syfy not want this?

Imagine a science fiction director in the 1950's filming with all the technology of modern times. That is the essence of the show. It's a take on what 1950's writers believed that the future would be like, and it does it perfectly. The writing is crisp, entertaining, and fast-paced. The technology is absolutely kooky and hilarious. Think Mad Men in space.

gently caress Z-nation, High Moon is the greatest show off earth and Syfy is a piece of poo poo for not taking it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mindy Project is actually not terrible so far this year. I didn't have to hear that godawful theme song, there was an entire scene about cunnilingus, and the 9PM EST Fox block has turned into a stealth Happy Endings reunion now that Damon Wayans Jr. and Adam Pally are in back-to-back shows. Little things.

Also, the previews for Red Band Society mixed with previews for Fault in Our Stars makes me think that every episode will end with me crying and hugging a blanket. I'll pass for now.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, my episode of Millionaire is tomorrow.

For those of you who will be watching: I am so, so sorry for what you're about to put yourselves through.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Mindy Project is actually not terrible so far this year. I didn't have to hear that godawful theme song, there was an entire scene about cunnilingus, and the 9PM EST Fox block has turned into a stealth Happy Endings reunion now that Damon Wayans Jr. and Adam Pally are in back-to-back shows. Little things.

Also, the previews for Red Band Society mixed with previews for Fault in Our Stars makes me think that every episode will end with me crying and hugging a blanket. I'll pass for now.

Mac from Always Sunny did a pretty good job in The Mindy Project as well. It's always great to see those broken human beings play slightly different roles on other shows.

Plus, there were some great quotes
-Danny sitting in front of his piano, drinking scotch when someone bangs on the door
"Open up in there! I hear you playing Frozen!"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished watching High Moon. It's kooky to the max. Go watch.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Is anyone else watching the Roosevelt's on PBS, it's the best Ken Burns documentary in years.

I shouldn't be surprised because it's Burns and Burns rocks, but was pleasantly surprised so see it so even-handed to the extent that Teddy comes off as a right rear end in a top hat.

Had to work late tonight and was pissed that I'd be missing FDR getting polio (Guillan-Bairre or whatever the newest diagnosis is) but then saw that there were more parts to it than I thought.

It's also making me look back and remember just how big of a mess Hyde Park on Hudson was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

High Moon was definitely a lot of fun. The visual style is awesome. And I really like Chris Diamantopoulos and Jonathan Tucker anyway. I'm bummed it was up for being a series and got passed over.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Deadpool posted:

She lost on the first stage. Which was kind of expected. She's really too short to get past a lot of the obstacles. One other taller girl made it farther than she did on that stage but eventually went out because she ran out of time.

Had she made it farther into the obstacle with the jump she would have been fine. But the obstacle curves on the outside and is farther apart. The trick is jump as far into as possible. Even fully extended she's too short to make it without a deep jump.

I don't think it's possible for her to jump in deep enough off the minitramp. She needs a new strategy. There was a shorter guy who tried to kick off one wall to make it in deep enough. He said it worked in training, he just screwed up during his run. She'll need to do something like that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So, I'm looking for a new show to get into. I'm currently into Arrow, Community and GOT (we're allowed to mention it, right, Deadpool?). Older TV I liked includes various sitcoms, (the first five seasons of) 24, (the first two seasons of) Nikita, Firefly and uh...poo poo, I guess that's it.

The problem is, while I really like the high points of TV shows, I can't stand the boredom of the low points, of the filler and all the other trappings that come with a medium of twenty-four episode orders, each stretched out to the same length, and of stories entirely made up as they go along, despite pretentions of a master plan.

My ideal serialized TV show has the pacing of an Edgar Wright or Christopher Nolan movie. I feel like if you tightly edited Breaking Bad, you could cut a good 50% of the show and you would make it the best thing ever.

Anyway, I recently tried an eclectic mix of shows, I'm curious if I should grind through any of them or let them go, and my opinions on them might help people suggest other stuff. Here goes:

Supernatural
Watched the pilot.
  • The bleeding woman on the ceiling bursting into flames kind of squandered all those horror movie vibes with the comical randomness of it.
  • I went in expecting to hate Jensen Ackles because he's quite punchable, but he was totally fine and not boring. The other guy was actually the problem. His acting was pretty bad, even if he was working with CW Brand Exposition. (The scene where they're on a lift and he's like "I Haven't Been Hunting For Years, Brother-I-Have-Not-Seen-For-A-Long-Time. Unlike Our Father Who Has Been Obsessed With Trying To Find Out What Happened To Our Mother." Caps indicate stilted dialogue.)
  • I like that there was no "Ghost are real?!" build up, the show just dives right into the premise of...well, the supernatural.
  • SHOOT THE GHOST! THAT MAKES SENSE!
  • Totally expected Professional TV Girlfriend Adrianne Palicki to be a series regular, so the twist at the end totally got me. CW like their hooks, but unlike Nikita and Arrow, it wasn't enough to rope me in.
I hear it gets super meta and actually good if you stick with it. But my god, there's a lot of episodes. They're on season 11 now?! Now I have heard the first five seasons are the best and can be treated as self-contained, but that is still one helluva time investment. :(

House of Cards
Watched the first two episodes and I enjoyed the political machinations - although in a desperate attempt to be "balanced" for the sake of touchy Americans, it comes off as disingenuous and unrealistic. (As if George Stephanopoulos anyone high up in the news media would go after someone that doggedly in an interview.)

But when the focus is off Kevin Spacey, it's incredibly boring. The subplots just seem like random scenes filling airtime. I was confused for a long while as to why we were meant to care when it kept cutting to Bald Congressman and his employee/girlfriend. Or why there is an inexplicable shot of Kate Mara sitting on a toilet in the ending montage of the first episode.

It's still hilarious that it literally opens with Kevin Spacey strangling a puppy and the season ends with him calming a crazy homeless man with the RAW POWER OF HIS WILL AND CHARISMA or some poo poo. Meanwhile in real life, actual politicians seem to be taking the show quite seriously and that's incredible.

I mention the season 1 finale because I jumped ahead to the last episode to see if it got any better. (This is a thing I do sometimes. It makes TV fans really angry.) I caught up pretty quickly on the story and found it completely underwhelming. All I had to look up was whether or not Mrs Spacey actually said those things to that pregnant lady (which I guess was confirmed later on in the episode anyway). But I discovered that people care SO little about the Mrs Spacey subplot, it's not even documented on the internet. Not on her wiki OR wikia pages. Nor in episode synopses. Hah.

Six Feet Under
It seemed for the first twenty minutes or so like a really interesting exploration of the effects of a death on a family, the build up to it, and the way the news spreads to each of them. But then it kind of drags it out for too long, and there are too many hallucination sequences and I don't think I could stand watching multiple seasons of that. Also: Claire was annoying.

I'm pretty much just fascinated by all the positivity I've seen for the finale.

Bob's Burgers
Despite the fact I'm looking for a more serialized and less episodic show, I actually watched a few of these. Even tried jumping ahead to a couple of recommended ones - after all, Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy and King of the Hill were all unrecognisable in their early years.

The show is completely inoffensive. They seem to understand the old rule that comedy comes from character, but forgot to give anyone any character. Other than Tina (who is just weird), I can't really describe any of their personalities. Well made, but not funny enough to warrant the time. Don't really get the hype.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

VagueRant posted:

Other than Tina (who is just weird), I can't really describe any of their personalities. Well made, but not funny enough to warrant the time. Don't really get the hype.

I...I can't make sense of this at all. Are you telling us that Bob, Louise, Gene and Linda don't have clearly defined personalitites? Because that's just not true at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Netflix is available here now, but none of the stuff I want to watch is on it :sigh: Must be a local rights deal.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Six Feet Under is really good. Total bummer though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Six feet under has perhaps the best finale ever made in any television show ever of all time, so good that it's worth going though...it's six right? Six seasons of wildly inconsistent television for perhaps the best emotional payoff ever

The pilot is dogshit and not indicative of what the show is

You should watch six feet under if only because beyond its pitch perfect finale it was like the sopranos in the sense of being a "blueprint" show that a lot of other shows ended up borrowing/ripping off

With the sopranos tho it was the concept of the antihero and an evil protagonist but for six feet under it was the concept of the emotionally charged and nuanced show that was deeply complicated but lacking a really central guiding arc or overall plot

Like with no SFU we have no Friday night lights we have no parenthood we don't get the deeply emotional episodes of breaking bad/lost/BSG/etc

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 17, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cried for literally five minutes straight during the SFU finale and I mean snot dribbling down my nose and full on sobbing crying

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Claire is annoying at first but she acts like a real teenager that grew up in Los Angeles in a funeral home.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supernatural is definitely worth it for the first five seasons. Given the action/genre shows you listed that you enjoyed, maybe also give Person of Interest a try?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Netflix is available here now, but none of the stuff I want to watch is on it :sigh: Must be a local rights deal.

Hola!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I recommend the series Daybreak. 13 great episodes that take a solid premise, and do terrific things with it. Stars Taye Diggs. Jonathan Banks is one of the villains. Has a time looping conceit, but applied to crime drama/conspiracy thriller genre.

Also Life. Life is probably one of the best modern cop procedurals. Shame it only got two seasons. Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi are magnetic. and the premise is killer: cop gets convicted of murder he did not do, acquitted over 10 years later and given a substantial money settlement, and what does he decide to do? BECOME A COP AGAIN.

also, it seems, VagueRant, that you might not have heard of Spaced. It is an entire TV series of Edgar Wright and it is brilliant beginning to end. Not that it's very many episodes given that it's a British sitcom.
Speaking of British sitcoms, IT Crowd also deserves a mention.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zaggitz posted:

Supernatural is definitely worth it for the first five seasons. Given the action/genre shows you listed that you enjoyed, maybe also give Person of Interest a try?

Well this recommendation comes out of left field.

Spatula City posted:

I recommend the series Daybreak. 13 great episodes that take a solid premise, and do terrific things with it. Stars Taye Diggs. Jonathan Banks is one of the villains. Has a time looping conceit, but applied to crime drama/conspiracy thriller genre.

Yes do this.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Kurtofan posted:

Germany? As the other poster said, use Hola. It lets you access everything on the US Netflix. And there is a ton of Ken Burns so watch that first :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ooh, I remembered another show I liked: Due South. Downside is I'm really sick of episodic police procedurals so even a show with a similar tone, like Monk (and to a MUCH lesser extent: Castle), feels like a waste of time to me.

I also think it's coincidence that all of my favourite non-comedic shows are action-heavy. While I'll gladly play the part of a TV philistine, there's a lot of actiony shows I don't like, and plenty of other actionless shows with parts I really enjoyed. I think it's just that the good action shows tend to move at a better pace and spend less time on low-stakes family drama.

(Oh, I wasn't suuuper into it but on a less actiony note: I really enjoyed the first season of Orphan Black as a gripping thriller that always made me want to see the next episode. Shame season 2 was the opposite of this.)

DominoDancing posted:

I...I can't make sense of this at all. Are you telling us that Bob, Louise, Gene and Linda don't have clearly defined personalitites? Because that's just not true at all.
Particularly Bob and Linda. Beyond their appearances, voices, and literal roles in the family, I can't describe them at all. Not even an adjective. I guess Louise you could say is a troublemaker and compulsive liar. And Gene is...wacky and dim? I dunno, they all just seem to be whatever each episode calls for them to be and nothing else.

Toxxupation posted:

Six feet under has perhaps the best finale ever made in any television show ever of all time, so good that it's worth going though...it's six right? Six seasons of wildly inconsistent television for perhaps the best emotional payoff ever

The pilot is dogshit and not indicative of what the show is
I feel like you are simultaneously overselling and underselling me on this show. (And it is really hard to resist being a dick and poking fun at you for also crying at a Doctor Who episode right now.)

You have reminded me that I should think about giving The Sopranos a go. I just worry it will have too much of that aforementioned low-stakes family drama as filler. :(

Mu Zeta posted:

Claire is annoying at first but she acts like a real teenager that grew up in Los Angeles in a funeral home.
I'm sure she's a realistic character, but that doesn't make her one I want to spend any time with. (I really miss your Aziz Ansari avatar, by the way. That was you, right?)

Zaggitz posted:

Is Supernatural the kind of show you enjoy for the overarching story, or more for the individual episodes, or a mix of both?

I gave Person of Interest a try, even the recommended episodes from the (old?) thread here, but it didn't do anything for me - even with a Nolan bro working on it. I thought Nikita did everything it did but better.

Spatula City posted:

Also Life. Life is probably one of the best modern cop procedurals. Shame it only got two seasons. Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi are magnetic. and the premise is killer: cop gets convicted of murder he did not do, acquitted over 10 years later and given a substantial money settlement, and what does he decide to do? BECOME A COP AGAIN.

also, it seems, VagueRant, that you might not have heard of Spaced. It is an entire TV series of Edgar Wright and it is brilliant beginning to end. Not that it's very many episodes given that it's a British sitcom.
Speaking of British sitcoms, IT Crowd also deserves a mention.
Ooh, colour me intrigued by Daybreak. Never heard of it before.

Life sounds like a good premise, but like I said at the top of this stupidly long post, police procedurals are worn out to me. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance though.

And I've seen Spaced and the IT Crowd.

Cheers for the advice, goons!

• Locked thread