Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh boo, Jeff is a goddamn dork but I'm glad he won. At least he had personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Don't think I've ever seen a tiebreaker question before. Add me to the people who thought that it was going to be another Final Jeopardy type dealie. Still, good on Jeff for winning like that. He seemed very awkward, what with his accent/mannerisms/rushing to answer stuff, but I'm still happy for him coming out on top.

Funny how the math worked out on those cumulative scores too. Alan and Jeff both doubled up their cash with their correct answers (easy as piss Final again, too) and it just happened that adding their previous scores, they wound up with the same amount... Alan did get a pretty decent payout there even without coming in first, as did Cooper. Tournaments always wind up pay out well for the finalists.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Two out of three people couldn't figure out what activity might be depicted in something called "Tauro maquia" etched by a Spanish painter?

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

GhostStalker posted:

Funny how the math worked out on those cumulative scores too. Alan and Jeff both doubled up their cash with their correct answers (easy as piss Final again, too) and it just happened that adding their previous scores, they wound up with the same amount...
I don't think it "just happened" that they ended up with the same total amount after doubling their scores. I think the fact that doubling their scores would put them in a tie was the entire reason that they both went all-in. Now, the fact that they were in that precise situation after the DJ round was indeed quite a remarkable occurrence.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Sucrose posted:

Two out of three people couldn't figure out what activity might be depicted in something called "Tauro maquia" etched by a Spanish painter?

You watched the 5am rerun too, didn't you?

I could kind of see what Spanish Inquisition guy was thinking. But still...

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The teachers on teachers week are all apparently dumb as poo poo.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Like, really, really stupid. Goddamn.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Reruns for the next few weeks :smith:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vogon Poet posted:

I don't think it "just happened" that they ended up with the same total amount after doubling their scores. I think the fact that doubling their scores would put them in a tie was the entire reason that they both went all-in. Now, the fact that they were in that precise situation after the DJ round was indeed quite a remarkable occurrence.

Guess that's what I meant. I just thought that it was remarkable that their scores heading into Final were just so that the two of them betting it all and then getting the (easy as poo poo) Final clue right and then adding it to their previous scores would have them wind up in a tie.

Guess that's why Jeff was so animatedly happy when Alan's Final answer was revealed (you can see part of his reaction, especially that of his arms, on the right side of the screen when the camera is focusing on Alan during his Final answer shot), on top of knowing that he got the answer right. His own reaction when they reveal that they would tie is genuine surprise, at least in my eyes.

Knowing those kids, they probably did math it out during the pre Final Jeopardy betting phase during the break, since they do give you paper and pencil to work out your bet, and they probably reminded the contestants what their previous scores were at the end of the previous episodes as well to help them make the best bet.

That it just so happened that the two of them had the perfect situation after the previous game and the scores that they had at the end of Double Jeopardy allowed the two of them to bet it all and then wind up in a tie after getting it right, doubling their score, and adding it to their previous scores, is nothing less than miraculous. Great end to the Teen Tournament.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Reruns for the next few weeks :smith:

Huh, I had forgotten that the Teacher's Tournament was a replay from earlier in the season, having already aired late last year. Guess I should've picked up when Alex said that the finale of the Teen Tournament was the last episode of the season at the beginning (or was that the end) of that episode. Of course, he also said that they were doing the Teacher's Tournament next. Must've missed where he said it was going to be a rerun.

I do remember him saying at the end of the last regular game this season (the one where that dapper Vietnamese dude Winston won) that they'd be rerunning the Battle of the Decades after the Teen Tournament. Must've missed him saying that the Teachers' Tournament would be a rerun as well. Guess that's why Alex said that the winner of that game would be able to relax for a month and a half before coming back to play again. They've likely begun taping new episodes for next season, since I remember the contestant coordinators telling us potential contestants during the audition that new seasons begin filming in late July/early August. Winston likely had a pretty decent break, and has already been back to film his next episode already.

As for that semifinal episode of the Teachers' Tournament, that was a pretty poor showing at the end of Final Jeopardy. I didn't get the Final Jeopardy answer right either, because I forgot that Holmes was the Chief Justice, even if his name did sound really familiar to me. John winning and advancing with $500, but seeing as how he was the only one left with money at the end of Final, that's just how the game goes... The two runners up needed to bet big in order to attempt to win, what with Timothy somewhat close to John at the end there, but everyone did have relatively low scores.

Didn't watch this episode when it first aired, but seeing the Crimea question go unanswered with a noticeable pause before John rang in and got it right reminded me that this episode was likely taped a little after this time last year, so the Ukraine stuff wouldn't have bubbled up that seriously yet. Still, it threw me quite a bit before I remembered that. The Triple Stumper on Harlem Shake (with Timothy answering "Harlem Shuffle" instead) and also Timothy's unorthodox question regarding the "on-deck circle" answer (with him answering "It's the warm-up circle") threw me as well. Also it appeared that there was some awkward editing at the end of the Jeopardy round, dunno if anyone else noticed...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I love the Teachers' Tournament almost as much as Teen Week in terms of falsely inflating my ego

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Man, I really wish I saw this when it was airing last year... Would've laughed so much at some of those answers, especially that football category in regular Jeopardy... "What is a croissant?" indeed. Alex snarking at Patrick for than answer was great.

Lotta Trible Stumpers in Double Jeopardy too. Missed Final again since I had mostly forgotten what was going on around the time of the Olympics, but I probably would've gotten the answer when the episode aired late last year...

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Chu is promoting a kickstarter for a documentary about himself. The makers claim they have gotten "unprecedented access" to the show. It might be interesting if this actually happens to get a little more behind the scenes look at the show: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876040404/who-is-arthur-chu

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

PrincessKate posted:

Chu is promoting a kickstarter for a documentary about himself. The makers claim they have gotten "unprecedented access" to the show. It might be interesting if this actually happens to get a little more behind the scenes look at the show: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876040404/who-is-arthur-chu

I wish they would give unprecedented access to somebody making a documentary that looks half interesting.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PrincessKate posted:

Whatever; give me a documentary about Julia.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont give a gently caress about arthur chu is one anyone kickstarting a regular jeopardy documentary because that i would fund.

"the jeopardy gansta" holy poo poo this guy is incredible

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 19, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Chu is a voiceover artist who was quite open about leveraging Jeopardy to get his name out there for more work. This makes perfect sense.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

wa27 posted:

Whatever; give me a documentary about Julia.

They said they are going to film during tournament of champions so she might be in it. But yea, a general Jeopardy! doc would probably be a lot more interesting.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Gonna fund this to get extra documentary proof of Julia styling all over Arthur's rear end.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I forgot all about Tom accusing Trebek of wearing a suit made by 8 year olds. Best rerun.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Looks like SOMEONE won't be returning for the Tournament of Champions this year after being a naughty, naughty boy...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/arlington-heights/chi-jeopardy-winner-child-sex-assault-20140903-story.html

quote:

A man from the northwest suburbs who won more than $120,000 on the “Jeopardy!” quiz show is due to stand trial in Wisconsin later this year on a child sexual assault charge.

Jerome Slowik, 28, of Arlington Heights, was charged in Walworth County, Wis., with second-degree sexual assault of a child, according to Wisconsin court records. The felony charge was filed April 16, records show. If convicted, he could face fines of up to $100,000 and 40 years in prison, according to prosecutors.

---

Police said Slowik and a 15-year-old Wisconsin girl were found topless in the back seat of a Hummer parked on a cul-de-sac near Lake Geneva in Wisconsin. Police were called at 7:45 p.m. on Friday, March 21 to check out a suspicious vehicle that was sitting at a dead end on Woodlane Road, according to reports.

“Officers observed a male and female in the vehicle, both partially clothed,” said Chief Steven Hurley of the Town of Geneva Police Department. “The female appeared under the age of 18.”

Police learned that Slowik had met the girl the week before while on the job as a security guard at a shopping center in Arlington Heights, Hurley said. They arranged to meet, and he drove up to Lake Geneva in the 2007 Hummer. The girl had gone there with a friend, who later left her with Slowik, Hurley said.

The girl told police that the two went to the movies before driving on Highway 50 and finding a place to park, according to the criminal complaint from the Walworth County District Attorney’s office.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well that sucks, I liked watching him. Hope he's appropriately punished if that's true.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yowza.

When do new episodes start?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Riptor posted:

Yowza.

When do new episodes start?

The new season should begin the 15th, after the repeats of the Decades Tournament are done.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

THE STACHE IS BACK

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2014/09/09/alex-trebek-mustache-photos-jeopardy/

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Should've sent a poet.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

This...is....season 31, starting tonight! Here are this week's contestants!

Stephanie Bilyeu from Champaign, IL!

Bill Cossen from Lexington, KY!

Carrie Delapeña from Plano, TX!

Tessa Fleming from Mission Viejo, CA!

Jesse Henning from Westerville, OH!

Erica Hersh from South Orange, NJ!

Howard Jacobs from Pikesville, MD!

Steve Lozano from Virginia Beach, VA!

Matthew Price from Providence, RI!

Elizabeth Williams from Washington, DC!

And our returning champion from Season 30, Winston Nguyen from New York, NY!

Clues! Responses! Mustaches! Season 31, get hype!

Exclamation points!

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
My new DVR was recording the reruns because it couldn't figure out they weren't new episodes. Time to set a new series recording!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Gotta love Alex. "Good thing Ken Burns is airing a documentary about the Roosevelts so you idiots can learn something about them."

He seemed particularly peeved that no one knew the New Deal clue.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, my Jeopardy check came in the day the new season premiered... Talk about coincidences!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

GhostStalker posted:

Wow, my Jeopardy check came in the day the new season premiered... Talk about coincidences!

This is the MY GIRLFRIEND post of the Jeopardy thread.

But seriously, that's awesome.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

werdnam posted:

Gotta love Alex. "Good thing Ken Burns is airing a documentary about the Roosevelts so you idiots can learn something about them."

He seemed particularly peeved that no one knew the New Deal clue.

That was amazing. You could hear the edge in his voice as the episode went on, until he dropped that incredible burn.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Watching the tournament of the decades over the past weeks spoiled us. We forgot that sometimes Jeopardy contestants aren't quite as smart (or maybe quick is the better term) as we imagine.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Watching the tournament of the decades over the past weeks spoiled us. We forgot that sometimes Jeopardy contestants aren't quite as smart (or maybe quick is the better term) as we imagine.

If anyone's ever comfortable on the stage it's the all-time greats. The regular contestants rarely get that chance.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Ghostbusters category was pretty easy apart from $200, which was a one-off joke from the sequel. I didn't even remember it until Alex said the answer. Kind of a strange choice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

zakharov posted:

If anyone's ever comfortable on the stage it's the all-time greats. The regular contestants rarely get that chance.

In Ken Jennings' book (Brainiac) he talks a lot about how just the smallest amount of experience on the show goes a loooong way in no small part due to comfort level. But it also apparently has a lot to do with things like working out the buzzer mechanics (because "nearly every contestant knows nearly every answer" on any given night). He also said that as his streak went on, the intimidation factor made it even easier to steamroll opponents. Basically, a "rich-get-richer" type of momentum.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Goddammit I had Brussels in my mind but then switched to Lisbon because I am bad at geography.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Shameful performance by the contestants during the Ghostbusters category. But good job, lady in second, not risking anything on Final Jeopardy, because the worst she could do was tie for second.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why is Elizabeth blinking so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

That was a weird edit at the end of the interview segment. Makes me wonder if something dirty was said. Very abrupt.