Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Brackhar posted:

Yeah. They wanted to create a more melee focused Resident Evil game, but when a bug resulted in monsters getting lifted into the air by gunfire they decided to switch directions and go more action oriented. Onimusha 1 came from revisiting the original idea after Devil May Cry's release. Speaking of, the first Onimusha is actually a pretty decent horror game for that era, though it's a little light on the horror in general for western audiences since the theming doesn't translate super well.

Not exactly. Onimusha was in development alongside the original RE4 which was aborted and transformed into Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry's aerial combat poo poo owes its roots to Onimusha, as there was apparently a glitch in Onimusha's development where you could knock people into the air and keep slashing to juggle them around. It got ironed out of Onimusha, but Kamiya thought that poo poo was cool and expanded on it into an actual system in Devil May Cry and the rest is action game history.

DeathChicken posted:

Man, Haunting Ground is a really cool game. Took everything Clock Tower 3 was trying to do and, y'know...made it good.

Haunting Ground/Demento is Clock Tower 4 rebranded early in development because Capcom realized Clock Tower games had never sold worth a drat. Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it weird that, after that demo vid, I'm actually kinda disappointed by The Evil Within? I think, going by the promo art, I'd imagined it to be some kind of Hellraiser-esque game, what with the barbed wire and mutilation everywhere. Having seen it in action, it's really more The Last of Us with a coat of Resident Evil-style paint. I'll no doubt pick it up at some point, but probably not for a good while.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

poo poo, Evil Within is just going to be The Last of Us? Goddammit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That video doesn't really sell the game very well because apparently Pete Hines is awful at video games. The third time he died and got sent back to the brain thing, I gave up.

Also apparently, a guy shows up and randomly reduces you to 1 health which is, uh, an interesting mechanic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

1stGear posted:

Also apparently, a guy shows up and randomly reduces you to 1 health which is, uh, an interesting mechanic.

I need video of this. I can't get the image of some dude in a white sheet running up to the PC and yelling "Boh" out of my head.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I need video of this. I can't get the image of some dude in a white sheet running up to the PC and yelling "Boh" out of my head.

Why would someone yell "Boh" at you?? :confused:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

1stGear posted:

That video doesn't really sell the game very well because apparently Pete Hines is awful at video games. The third time he died and got sent back to the brain thing, I gave up.

Like those special head-crabs in Half-Life 2? :gonk:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

1stGear posted:

I literally only know about this game through the Co-Optional Podcast, but Jesse and Crendor said that it brings you down to 1% health if you're at full health. If you're not, it will outright kill you. And apparently that mechanic is entirely random and can pop up at any time, even places where you can't defend yourself against the guy, like coming down from a ladder or in the middle of a fight with someone else. I guess during the E3 demo, people were giving up on the demo without finishing it because that mechanic is so frustrating.

I have no idea if they changed that since E3 of course, but if they haven't, then that sounds like an absolutely horrible mechanic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xoidanor posted:

This is literally what happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asG2RMulHE

Happens the first time around 4:00 minutes and again around 17:30. The second time he mentions that he was taking too long, so maybe its supposed to keep you from just huddling in a corner and waiting for your anxiety to drop? Still seems annoying, especially since resources seem hard to come by.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm hoping there is some hard counter to that. At first glance it sounds like a bad mechanic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WHAT :psyboom:

This is some manifesting reality poo poo going on here.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Aahahaha sorry but that owns. Reminds me of the Grim Reaper in Gauntlet or the explosive death that would occur if you waste too much time in beat'em ups.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it's a timer mechanic I guess it's basically like the Spelunky ghost, where it shows up if you're taking too long but moves at a speed that makes it possible to avoid it so long as you keep moving.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hundreds of games have something like this, I think my favorite instance of it is in Magician Lord on the Neo Geo. Take too long and this weird looking Lovecraftian horror thing slowly floats towards you through all obstructions until you either beat the level or it touches you and you die instantly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It doesn't kill him though, at 17:30 in that video he's at about half health and he still survives the hit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The ghost that did this in Bubble Bobble was an rear end in a top hat.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Bubble Bobble was terrifying. Don't even get me started on the sequel.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If it's a timer mechanic I guess it's basically like the Spelunky ghost, where it shows up if you're taking too long but moves at a speed that makes it possible to avoid it so long as you keep moving.

That's a really bad idea in an adventure game where you're constantly checking every nook and cranny to make sure you didn't miss any supplies: dallied too long in one room? Spent too long admiring the scenery? Waiting for nearby enemies to fall in position? DEATHGHOST FOR YOU!

Butt Ghost posted:

poo poo, Evil Within is just going to be The Last of Us? Goddammit.
It's definitely not a 1/1 copy, but the main gameplay in that video up there - creeping around, stealth kills, limited ammo, etc. - really remind me of a more overt horror-themed TLoU. I honestly don't know what I was thinking the game was going to be like, but it definitely wasn't that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DeathChicken posted:

The ghost that did this in Bubble Bobble was an rear end in a top hat.

The idea goes back even further than that. That hoodie guy is basically like this generation's version of Evil Otto from Berzerk.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Alabaster White posted:

Why would someone yell "Boh" at you?? :confused:

Someone needs to touch up on their KC Green.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Bubble Bobble was terrifying. Don't even get me started on the sequel.

"HURRY!!"

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there any good LPs of horror games? I love the sense of seeing somebody to explore the game and trying to figure out what's what, but most of them aren't any good. I've mostly watched TFS Krillin plays but the screaming gets on my ears and some Besdt Friends LPs, which are alright.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good LPs of horror games?

No

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good LPs of horror games? I love the sense of seeing somebody to explore the game and trying to figure out what's what, but most of them aren't any good. I've mostly watched TFS Krillin plays but the screaming gets on my ears and some Besdt Friends LPs, which are alright.

I'd recommend Egomaniac's LPs of the Siren series and Fatal Frame.

He started to redo the Siren 1 videos, but never finished the update.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
This is true.

Though I always found egomaniac super good: http://lparchive.org/author/egomaniac

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's not strictly a horror game in the traditional sense, but I remember really liking Cannibalk9's LP of The Void. I could never get into it myself, but it is a legitimately unnerving, horrific, endlessly fascinating game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ManOfTheYear posted:

The LP Jesse Cox, Jirard the Completionist, Greg (the other dude in the Completionist videos) and um... Davis? Whoever that is? did of PT is pretty good. Their reactions to the jump scares feel legit, unlike Markeplier, and Jirard also attempts to complete the game before they get stuck and read up how to actually complete it and it's funny how :wtf: they are at the process.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I'm the kind that likes to look at the environment and take things super slow in stealth games, this revelation along with what I've seen from the interface menu is really killing my enthusiasm for The Evil Within

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I really like xxxnatxcutexxx.

She does all the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games, all of them blind. It doesn't come off as over the top, there's no phony screaming, it comes off as genuine. She's got a cute british accent and a good sense of humor. Makes me laugh a lot on each video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LI3k0rrw3I

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-Dead-Aim/Update%201/

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Does Evil Within have that mechanic from Saw The Videogame and Fallout: Dead Money where if you get close to some sensors you explode?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I was pretty excited for The Evil Within until I started seeing the gameplay videos. While RE4 crossed with TLoU sounds like it could work, I'm left wanting by seeing it actually play out. It doesn't help that the guy playing it is pretty bad at it and also pretty boring.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

woodenchicken posted:

Does Evil Within have that mechanic from Saw The Videogame and Fallout: Dead Money where if you get close to some sensors you explode?

Kinda, they're apparently sensor mines of some variety. You're supposed to be able to dismantle them to make crossbow bolts. I think you can draw enemies near them as well, but the guy playing was just terrible.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, ok. (I could only force myself to watch a bit of the video)
Mines are slightly more acceptable to me than bomb collars.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

...but the guy playing was just terrible.

That makes me wonder if the ghost mechanic won't be as devastating & unavoidable as it appears in that video. Plus, he's playing chapter 9 cold. Assuming the game slowly ramps up the difficulty, managing encounters with the ghost might be something you just get really good at so that it's more like another plate to keep spinning, instead of an outright exploration deterrent that some people in the thread worry it might be.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

I've started watching him since he was linked earlier in this thread and yeah, his older stuff is really cringeworthy and over-the-top but he's a lot cooler and genuine now. Another guy I like to watch is a British guy called storpey but he's a complete pussy and screams at the slightest things, whether it's genuine or not is up to the viewer to decide. Usually entertaining either way.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Lowtax and Shmorky's LPs of horror games are always good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdzBCg8nf5uj3Ulkx6Jvl4Yk1b9bdwAZO

Though perhaps that's not quite what one would normally look for. But where else could you find LPs of well-known horror classics "Nightmare: Creepy Factory" or "Lumber Island"?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yardbomb posted:

I like him overall but I think he rambles too much when he plays long games. I got kind of bored with his Silent Hill Origins playthrough because he was going in blind and babbling about how he didn't know how to do anything for the entirety of a 30 minute video. He's pretty likable though, otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
New Silent Hills trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptycDmjZfU

It looks like a decent horror game but doesn't look at all like a SH game. I feel like they could have just created their own IP and it would still generate a lot of buzz due to the Kojima/Del Toro collab :shrug: