Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Are there any good 100%/Completionist FFVII LPs?

I just watched a speed run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_hz4Qo140) and now I've got the need. The need for nostalgia.
What does a 100% completionist look like to you? Do you mean one of those runs where you have to grind a certain enemy only available for a short time in order to get 99 of a certain item you'll never use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, assuming you don't want the kind of idiocy that leads to bad decisions like grinding out 99 of every random item, then this is the thread you want.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Nihilarian posted:

What does a 100% completionist look like to you? Do you mean one of those runs where you have to grind a certain enemy only available for a short time in order to get 99 of a certain item you'll never use?

Your username is perfect for this inquiry. But, it's a good point. I would settle for, like, all Master Materia and Knights of the Round.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, assuming you don't want the kind of idiocy that leads to bad decisions like grinding out 99 of every random item, then this is the thread you want.

This is good. Thanks! I was hoping for a VLP but I've been traveling to Hong Kong for work a lot lately so SSLPs are great for the spotty mid-Pacific WiFi.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Your username is perfect for this inquiry. But, it's a good point. I would settle for, like, all Master Materia and Knights of the Round.

This is good. Thanks! I was hoping for a VLP but I've been traveling to Hong Kong for work a lot lately so SSLPs are great for the spotty mid-Pacific WiFi.
Elentor's LP is fantastic and will probably change the way you see Final Fantasy 7 forever.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's also not finished yet (although it's getting there), but if you already know the game then that's no big deal. It's a very good read.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Maybe I just suck at searching but I can't find it on their channel or mirrored somewhere on youtube. Did they user another handle besides tippingforties ?

edit: I asked one of them on Twitter if they did bg1 or 2 and he said no. too bad :(

lol, those idiots

Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL027D1797E621330E

edit: where you asking for LITTLE Big Planet or does BG stand for something I don't know about?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Herr Tog posted:

lol, those idiots

Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL027D1797E621330E

edit: where you asking for LITTLE Big Planet or does BG stand for something I don't know about?
Baldur's Gate

VVVVV
Everyone should watch the Saint's Row 2 LP by kaubocks. He's peaked so hard!

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Baldur's Gate?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Do you mean just X3 or all the X games? If you know how to play MMX you'll know how to play X3. If you haven't played MMX I recommend just playing that because the first level teaches you 95% of the mechanics. Most of the content in the games can be found easily (minus just a couple secrets) without a guide.

Maybe I just suck at searching but I can't find it on their channel or mirrored somewhere on youtube. Did they user another handle besides tippingforties ?

edit: I asked one of them on Twitter if they did bg1 or 2 and he said no. too bad :(

I forgot a comma or something, I want to learn how to play the sandbox spaceship game X3, but all I can find on the archives are the megaman games.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for my lies.

Here is some Truth:

Niggurath posted:

VVVVV
Everyone should watch the Saint's Row 2 LP by kaubocks. He's peaked so hard!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also anyone recommend a group video commentary LP of a Japanese turn based RPG? I've watched all of tipping forties and I NEED MORE.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Also anyone recommend a group video commentary LP of a Japanese turn based RPG? I've watched all of tipping forties and I NEED MORE.
Have you seen the stuff that wateyad and pork lift did: http://lparchive.org/author/wateyad

Or the sweet FF 7 anniversary video that Men Drinkin' Coffee did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiKkJrVkO-0

Or Kuvo's current LP of Tales of Vesperia: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568969

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Herr Tog posted:

It's kind of a stretch to call the current Final Fantasy games "turn-based", but there's always KFJ and associates' playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII-2. A lot of faffing about and blatantly misreading plot points and quests, as it's played semi-blind, but if you like the T40's commentary, chances are you'll like this too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SWMadness posted:

It's kind of a stretch to call the current Final Fantasy games "turn-based", but there's always KFJ and associates' playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII-2. A lot of faffing about and blatantly misreading plot points and quests, as it's played semi-blind, but if you like the T40's commentary, chances are you'll like this too.

This looks loving awesome. Do I need to watch the thirteen one first or who gives a poo poo?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Herr Tog posted:

This looks loving awesome. Do I need to watch the thirteen one first or who gives a poo poo?

If anything, it makes more sense if you skip the first game.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Herr Tog posted:

You don't need to but you should really watch Pork Lift and Wateyad's LP of the original because it's super good

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Herr Tog posted:

I'm also going to have to second the FF13/13-2 LPs.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

You don't need to but you should really watch Pork Lift and Wateyad's LP of the original because it's super good

ScurvyKip posted:

I'm also going to have to second the FF13/13-2 LPs.

Should I watch it first or eventually? cause right now I am watching 13-2 and there are cats and cake batter

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Artix's FFXIII is taking the piss out it really well. Fedule's disdain for the game is so strong you can taste it.

There is no cake batter in it, though?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Herr Tog posted:

Should I watch it first or eventually? cause right now I am watching 13-2 and there are cats and cake batter

To be frank, you really don't need to watch 13 at all. As far as the storyline goes, 13 might as well be self-contained for as much as 13-2 gives a poo poo about it. It literally starts retconning the first game within the first hour and beyond that it never references the plot outside of assuming you already know who the characters are.

That said, 13 is dumb as poo poo and if you find that 13-2's nonsensical story is up your alley, 13's is just as bad (if marginally more subtle).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I forgot a comma or something, I want to learn how to play the sandbox spaceship game X3, but all I can find on the archives are the megaman games.

Ah OK actually I would like to know this too because I've always wanted to play that game but I didn't like the tutorial section for some reason.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is there a good Sacrifice LP to read?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I remember a while ago I saw a thread for Tex Murphy, but I cannot find it in the archives. Is it still on-going, or is there no thread at all?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Are there any good LPs of this game?

I loved Neopets as a kid and also it has Jennifer Hale in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets:_The_Darkest_Faerie

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Friends, after several attempts I concluded I'm too dumb to beat Antichamber. What's a fun playthrough to read/watch?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BKPR posted:

Friends, after several attempts I concluded I'm too dumb to beat Antichamber. What's a fun playthrough to read/watch?
http://lparchive.org/Antichamber/

Occultatio and his friend made an effort to go in relatively blind, and they have fun figuring out the puzzles. It's worth a watch I'd say.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I remember a while ago I saw a thread for Tex Murphy, but I cannot find it in the archives. Is it still on-going, or is there no thread at all?

Grawl started an LP for Under a Killing Moon years ago but only got to Day 4 or so.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I am excited to have been a part of the new joke serious informative LP renaissance, and I look forward to this thread.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Can anyone recommend a good LP of Kingdom Hearts 2? The one on the archive by KFJ skips all the cutscenes IIRC, and most of the ones I've found on Youtube fall into the trap of either reading all the text in horrible voices or calling basically every male character a gay homofag every time they say anything.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good LP of Kingdom Hearts 2? The one on the archive by KFJ skips all the cutscenes IIRC, and most of the ones I've found on Youtube fall into the trap of either reading all the text in horrible voices or calling basically every male character a gay homofag every time they say anything.

There's actually one that just recently started here in the forums that is doing a more serious play-through of the whole series, if that helps.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Are there any LPs of Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate worth watching? I want to experience the game without actually having to purchase or play it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SWMadness posted:

There's actually one that just recently started here in the forums that is doing a more serious play-through of the whole series, if that helps.
Not really, since they're still on the first game, and there's another two games after that before they even touch KH2.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I have to give a recommendation for zfleeman's Pikmin 3 thread. The commentators have natural chemistry, the three of them work together to try and multitask effectively and genuinely get engaged with the game, the audio is really nice to listen to, and the thread itself has been having some great discussion, swinging from talk about the different kinds of fruit recovered in the game to the Pikmin series as a whole, to how terrible the English language is.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Has anyone seen a decent youtube LP of D4 yet? (The SWERY game that just came out a few days ago.) Pretty sure I will never get an Xbox One and the Giant Bomb Quicklook really made me want to see more. The game had me at strangling a guy with an oxygen mask on a plane. :allears:

Something called DSP gaming has done it, but the guy is immediately kinda shouty and annoying.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I've never played any of Metal Gear. I know it's a stealth game, with lots of cut-scene talking, bat-poo poo crazy plots, and a bunch of different people--all called Snake. I figure it's time to educate myself.

Looking at the Master List database, there appear to be 14 different games, in no especially obvious order for the most part. Looking at Wikipedia just hammered home how much of it there was, and how sprawling.

I could use some help here, Kojima-fans. What games should I read/watch, and in which order, to get myself somewhere up to speed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostwoods posted:

I could use some help here, Kojima-fans. What games should I read/watch, and in which order, to get myself somewhere up to speed?

If possible, watch them in the order they were released, not when they are set in their timeline. Chip Cheezum does amazing Metal Gear Solid LPs and I would recommend his videos for all the games in the main series.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
^^^ So, start with Metal Gear 1 and then MG: Snake's Revenge, rather than Metal Gear Solid 1? That should keep me busy for a month or two :) Thx.

VagueRant posted:

Has anyone seen a decent youtube LP of D4 yet? (The SWERY game that just came out a few days ago.) Pretty sure I will never get an Xbox One and the Giant Bomb Quicklook really made me want to see more. The game had me at strangling a guy with an oxygen mask on a plane. :allears:

Something called DSP gaming has done it, but the guy is immediately kinda shouty and annoying.

This guy here appears to be doing a commentary-free playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF4BX-A7jr4

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 22, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Ghostwoods posted:

I think the Metal Gear canon order is:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising

I played MGS before knowing about MG2 and I wasn't too too lost. I think you can do the Solids and Peace Walker for catch up.

Twin Snakes is the same story as the original Metal Gear Solid - it's kinda like a remake. People say Twin Snakes is canonical - I don't think you really miss anything by picking one or the other. Other stuff like Ac!d and Ghost Babel is non-canon.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

slowbeef posted:

I think the Metal Gear canon order is:

Ah, that's awesome. Thank you. Point and click instructions are useful for my old, tired mind :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Twin Snakes is the same story as the original Metal Gear Solid - it's kinda like a remake. People say Twin Snakes is canonical - I don't think you really miss anything by picking one or the other. Other stuff like Ac!d and Ghost Babel is non-canon.
Chip Cheezum's LP of MGS1 includes bits of Twin Snakes in parts where the differences between the original and the remake are significant, so you get the full picture anyway.

Also, keep in mind that MG1 & 2 were only officialy released in English in 2005, bundled with MGS3, so most people's experience with the series started with Metal Gear Solid and they don't reference the previous games much. Personally I'd still start with Metal Gear 1 because it's fun analysing how the series evolved and which ideas get consistently reused, but it's up to you.