Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Most beer nerds think Dark Lord are extremely overrated, contrary to popular belief.

It's way too sweet and not worth the hoops you have to go through to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Most beer nerds think Westy and Dark Lord are extremely overrated, contrary to popular belief.

Cue same for PtE, Heady, 120, I feel like an era really shifted in 2011/2012. Or some point after the Alchemist flooded.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Cue same for PtE, Heady, 120, I feel like an era really shifted in 2011/2012. Or some point after the Alchemist flooded.

I wouldn't lump Heady in to the same list of overrated beers, because Heady is absolutely as good as its reputation has made it out to be (imo). 120 makes me want to puke.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Heady is good but I still stand by my belief that "the best ipa you can drink is the freshest one".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is anyone going to the GI Clybourn release tonight?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Heady is good but I still stand by my belief that "the best ipa you can drink is the freshest one".

AFter having gone to Vermont last month.. and having Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine, Society of Solitude #5, and then coming home and having Morph, Substance and some Tired Hands stuff.... and the week prior to that having Focal Banger, Crusher and Rapture..

I stand by my rating of Heady being the ultimate IPA. It's balance is phenomenal, and it's world class in every aspect.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

That's my mentality these days as well even if my ultimate IPA is 3-way. I dream of it being made forever and ever and ever.

I can easily get extremely fresh Lone Pint Yellow Rose, Community Mosaic, or when they make it, Peticolas Sit Down or I'll Sit you Down. I really should send out growlers of the fresh ipa's coming out of Texas these days as they're all top notch for the style. Sure they aren't quite world class, but they're 90% of the way there, and far easier for me to get.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Vertigo posted:

AFter having gone to Vermont last month.. and having Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine, Society of Solitude #5, and then coming home and having Morph, Substance and some Tired Hands stuff.... and the week prior to that having Focal Banger, Crusher and Rapture..

I stand by my rating of Heady being the ultimate IPA. It's balance is phenomenal, and it's world class in every aspect.

Morph is selling like goddamn hotcakes. Batch 2 is way better than batch 1 imo.

Julius gets my nod, I do need to go back out there since I left my camp chair in the parking lot last time...

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I had the 9/9/14 Morph last night. It was quite tasty. Wish I would have grabbed some when I was up that way.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The new brewspace they have now has done wonders for their production. New beers practically every week and I don't even have to go by on the day of a beer release to get bottles of some of the stuff. Sour Tea was a bruery type sour (read: accidental) but its way better than the base beer.

Trillium though, way harder to get unless it's at the tap room.

Wormtown is one of the real sleepers. Hopulence won some medals and be hoppy/be hoppier are super elusive this side of 95.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Vertigo posted:

How do you even taste after that? Tastebud marathon.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Shabadu posted:

Wormtown is one of the real sleepers. Hopulence won some medals and be hoppy/be hoppier are super elusive this side of 95.

our brewer used to work with their brewer, been hoping he'd work out a trade so i can try some of their stuff- a shame she had such a crappy time of it at Blue Jacket

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

pugnax posted:

How do you even taste after that? Tastebud marathon.

Wasn't all in one night... I had a 3 day Vermont trip.

However, now that I'm back into gym mode, and working my way to lose some weight, I'll probably be giving my tastebuds a break in the action, as they definitely went into overboard mode for awhile.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Get ready to start hearing some hype for this new Oregon brewery:

http://newschoolbeer.com/2014/09/wolves-and-people-farmhouse-brewery.html

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Founders Mosaic Promise is out now and it's really good, but also very light (5%). I just assumed it would be an IPA because I'm dumb and it's more of a session-y pale ale. Still a good showcase for mosaic hops, especially in the aroma, you just have to taste it a little harder. And no I'm not sure what I mean by that. Also I had Oracle again and concluded that it tastes like several aspirin have been dissolved in it... just way too bitter, to the point of being highly unpleasant. I would drink Mars by the gallon, though.

pugnax posted:

How is Samichlaus? I see it on the shelf but haven't brought myself to spend the money on it to see if it's crap or not.

Adding my award-winning opinion to state that it tastes like a combination of cough syrup, nail polish remover and pennies.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

dphi posted:

And here everyone thought he was starting up his own place in Texas. I guess begin the walehype.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

sounds awesome, but some of that article... also, lol at "nationally known brewers such as Evil Twin"

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Christ. I can practically hear the clickity-clack of terrible beer nerds frantically pounding ISO on their keyboards.

I'll hop on the hype train when they actually release some beer.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
With Toronto beer week in full swing, the event I've been waiting for has finally announced some (about a half) of the beers that will be available at the event.

Definitely skipping out on work early for this one.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

In additional beer news, Live Oak is supposedly going to start canning oh god everyone will want me to send the hef now huh

http://crafttaste.com/live-oak-brewing-to-start-canning/

They've also been saying they'll be expanding since I first got into craft beer back in 2006, so who knows how much truth there is to this.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

oh god everyone will want me to send the hef now huh

first in line.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

krustster posted:

Founders Mosaic Promise is out now and it's really good, but also very light (5%). I just assumed it would be an IPA because I'm dumb and it's more of a session-y pale ale. Still a good showcase for mosaic hops, especially in the aroma, you just have to taste it a little harder.

I had this last year on tap at Founders and loved it. So happy to see it land in 6ers, def a pick up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midorka posted:

This time I'm bringing my Double Simcoe Habanero Peach hot sauce along.

Screw the beer, tell us more about this.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
See and I've had heady a good many times and find it massively overrated. It's worse than every IPA I've had from TH or HF or RR or Bell's. The IPAS that I find overrated are Double Trouble, Heady, and that Great Divide DIPA that I cannot stand. Oh, and White Oak JA is disgusting. I've had most of the great IPAS at the source and think that a decent percentage of the Pliny backlash is from the school of people who want to seem cool for tearing down a golden calf of beer.

But that's just, like, my opinion man.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

krustster posted:

Adding my award-winning opinion to state that it tastes like a combination of cough syrup, nail polish remover and pennies.

I was saying that eight years ago. :colbert:

(Except it also tastes so vegetal I get asparagus out of it too!)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Phanatic posted:

Screw the beer, tell us more about this.

Pureed up habaneros with a combination of apple cider vinegar/distilled white wine vinegar/Double Simcoe with two huge mangos. It's too hot for me to enjoy in it's current iteration, but I see potential in it. I'm working on new combinations constantly, I made a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, cherry, and cayenne/chipotle one early Summer that came out pretty great though. I've pretty much stopped brewing and have replaced that with making beer hot sauce and beer soap.

The first batch I did was a pineapple serrano double jack hot sauce that I'm going to recreate because it was fantastic.

Beer talk: I really don't like Southern Tier's Warlock, something about the way the malts they're using interacts with the sweetness of the beer really doesn't work for me.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

dphi posted:

Thanks Hill Farmstead for making out-of-the way destination breweries with a sense of heritage and location, a thing. Does this brewery have a favorite philosopher?

Unrelated, but I scored a HF Aaron and I can't wait to try it. I hate Shawn Hill, but I love his magical brewery powers.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Why do people seem to hate him?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vertigo posted:

Why do people seem to hate him?

He's a pretty surly guy.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

cryme posted:

He's a pretty surly guy.

Really? When I was in line at HF, he came over and said hi to the people in line and then went about his business... seemed OK by me.

Edit: As long as he keeps making his delicious nectars, he can be whatever he wants to be.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Shawn is just a weirdo artist type and can rub people the wrong way because he's not the gregarious sort like Sam C or Greg Koch. His beers are incredible and anyone who thinks otherwise has a loving bad palate. Is the whole "name every other beer after philosophy" thing weird in a world where people generally name their beers for dick jokes? Sure. But he is hands down the most talented brewer in the world, if we're going for quality+breadth of work.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Shawn is just a weirdo artist type and can rub people the wrong way because he's not the gregarious sort like Sam C or Greg Koch. His beers are incredible and anyone who thinks otherwise has a loving bad palate. Is the whole "name every other beer after philosophy" thing weird in a world where people generally name their beers for dick jokes? Sure. But he is hands down the most talented brewer in the world, if we're going for quality+breadth of work.

I don't really like his artist/philosopher persona or whatever, but I'll be goddamned if he didn't make the best hoppy beers and saisons on this planet.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm usually too poor to regularly buy good beer...but not today! I just picked up a 12 pack fall sampler from Sierra Nevada for $13 (Pale ale, Oktoberfest, Tumbler brown ale, and Vienna Lager). :getin:

I had never tried their Vienna lager before, and I really like it. In fact I'd never had that style of beer at all before, anyone have some recommendations for it?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I am not uninterested in Wolves 'n People, but living in OR has made me so lazy that I hate actually having to drive to a brewery.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

Really? When I was in line at HF, he came over and said hi to the people in line and then went about his business... seemed OK by me.

he's a autistic stoner who alternates between being really friendly and being an aloof, arrogant dickhead. he doesn't beat up his wife or anything truly hosed up, though, so i will continue to enjoy the beer that he makes.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Yeah the dude doesn't have any truly repugnant opinions or actions, he might just be a little awkward, but he makes great beer and that I can get behind

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Rah! posted:

I'm usually too poor to regularly buy good beer...but not today! I just picked up a 12 pack fall sampler from Sierra Nevada for $13 (Pale ale, Oktoberfest, Tumbler brown ale, and Vienna Lager). :getin:

I had never tried their Vienna lager before, and I really like it. In fact I'd never had that style of beer at all before, anyone have some recommendations for it?

Do you have access to Great Lakes? If so, pick up Eliot Ness, as it is probably the best Vienna Lager in the US.

If not, Negra Modelo and Victoria are actually not bad examples either, though Sierra Nevada is definitely far better than both combined.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

I don't really like his artist/philosopher persona or whatever

My ex-boyfriend, who's a philosophy PhD and a Heideggerian who wrote his dissertation on gender theory, looked at some of Shawn Hill's quotations and said, "Wow, that's too pretentious even for me."

The guy makes some fabulous beer, though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Did anyone in Chicago end up getting (or trying) Grimm Vicar? Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

ChiTownEddie posted:

Did anyone in Chicago end up getting (or trying) Grimm Vicar? Any good?

Ran by there at 7 with the gf, walked right in and picked up 2 bottles. We were late to dinner plans, so I couldn't stay to try it.

I had a buddy who went by around 10 and got to try it, he said it was phenomenal. More like a barleywine than a quad, he said it reminded him of BCBW. There were still plenty left when he picked his up, I might try to grab another if there's any left when I head to the cubs game tomorrow night.