Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimpond posted:

It is unfair to people who actually suffer from OCD to claim this. and D&D Next, 5e, and just D&D are all correct since they were used officially to describe the same product at different points in its development and lifecycle.

Where did this stupid idea for a monster even originate? How could anyone at any edition of D&D look at that and think it would be fun or fair to use?!

I am serious.

As for were the monster came from. It came from a toy, Gygax's mind and produced this comic in a first ed book.

Here is the toy with a few other classic d&d monsters.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Now all we need are those creatures that are basically floating mines that look like Beholders to trick adventurers into attacking them so they explode in their face. Hopefully with a lot of pointlessly wordy text describing how they explode or some nonsense too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goldjas posted:

Now all we need are those creatures that are basically floating mines that look like Beholders to trick adventurers into attacking them so they explode in their face. Hopefully with a lot of pointlessly wordy text describing how they explode or some nonsense too.

Gas Spores are confirmed to be in the book.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 17, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fun fact: When a rust monster tries to eat your shield, drop it! It will be safe because it's not being carried or worn!

Slimnoid posted:

Supposedly Gygax (or one of his crew) made it up after using some cheapo toy figure that resembled the rust monster as we know it.

This is the crown jewel of my miniatures collection.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

goldjas posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gas Spores are confimermed to be in the book.

Solid Jake posted:

FINALLY, a monster to take melee Fighters down a peg!

Someone should actually go through the MM and find out how many non-CR0 monsters are built exclusively around punishing melee fighters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

Fun fact: When a rust monster tries to eat your shield, drop it! It will be safe because it's not being carried or worn!

Is there any GM on earth who's this absurdly literal though?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Yeah, taking an action to make it so the rust monster has to destroy a 1ft cube of your shield with no save is a great alternative.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there any GM on earth who's this absurdly literal though?

"I must remind you the system is not called D&D Next, that was the name of the playtest."

Wasn't the Rust Monster created as a passive-aggressive way to take away magic items a DM realized were 'too good' or that the PCs 'shouldn't have'?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Grimpond posted:

Where did this stupid idea for a monster even originate? How could anyone at any edition of D&D look at that and think it would be fun or fair to use?!
There's a bunch of monsters like this going all the way back to the AD&D Monster Manual. I would imagine a lot of them were created as more or less single use puzzle monsters to break up fairly boring old school dungeons full of empty rooms (containing barrels of rotting grain that emit a pungent aroma when opened) and hives full of level appropriate HD monster clans. When they decided to print a book full of monsters they realized that there were only so many pages you could fill with seemingly identical humanoids and so threw in as many of the rust monsters, morkoths and piercers as they could remember at the time never realizing that thirty some years later people would consider 'that time the DM got pissed off at Jim sticking his hand into every rotting grain barrel to search for coins and sicced worms on him' as an important and iconic part of the game.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 17, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Someone should actually go through the MM and find out how many non-CR0 monsters are built exclusively around punishing melee fighters.

Gelatinous Cubes were neigh-invisible to absorb the first person to walk into them. Remind me who's got point in marching order again?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For fun the toys and their monsters and how they look now.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Cant we just rule that the Crossbow feats give you training and the ability to rig up some kind of autoloading device for your hamd crossbow?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The rust monster can't even eat magical gear? Who's this game for, children?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the Rust Monster created as a passive-aggressive way to take away magic items a DM realized were 'too good' or that the PCs 'shouldn't have'?

No. It was just created on a whim. Alongside the Owlbear.

moths posted:

Gelatinous Cubes were neigh-invisible to absorb the first person to walk into them. Remind me who's got point in marching order again?

The thief. Or the hireling if you can convince them.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

goldjas posted:

Also, does every loving description of everything in 5e need to be pointlessly wordy as all hell. Was the guy who wrote this stuff paid by the word or something?

I love the way that they basically describe the rusting effect twice just in a slightly different way

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ferrinus posted:

The rust monster can't even eat magical gear? Who's this game for, children?

Well, it's not like anyone needs magical gear in Next.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Serious post: how many of you ever encountered a rust monster while playing? I've been doing this poo poo since 2004 and never ever EVER dealt with a goddamn rust monster, as a player or as a DM in search of poo poo to throw at my players.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

crime fighting hog posted:

Serious post: how many of you ever encountered a rust monster while playing? I've been doing this poo poo since 2004 and never ever EVER dealt with a goddamn rust monster, as a player or as a DM in search of poo poo to throw at my players.

Not once, but if you want to use it. It is in every edition of D&D.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'd ask "Why is it in every edition of D&D?" but that's more of a discussion towards legacy, sacred cows and stuff and I'll leave it for grognards.txt but I never understood the function of it. It exists solely as a "gently caress you" to anyone (melee classes) who rely on weapons to deal damage. Was there an edition where fighters were so OP they needed the occasional check against them like this? I'm genuinely curious.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I seem to remember it showing up in NWN1 somewhere.

Also rust monsters were fairly common in the original Rogue, where they went by the name "Aquator"

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Once, in 3.5. It promptly ruined the head of my dwarf barbarian's axe, but given that Urist McAxebeard gave exactly zero fucks about anything that wasn't ale or skulls, promptly killed it by jamming the haft of his axe into the creature's skull.

There's this kind of unspoken gentleman's agreement that obviously unfun monsters are best left off the table.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'd ask "Why is it in every edition of D&D?" but that's more of a discussion towards legacy, sacred cows and stuff and I'll leave it for grognards.txt but I never understood the function of it. It exists solely as a "gently caress you" to anyone (melee classes) who rely on weapons to deal damage. Was there an edition where fighters were so OP they needed the occasional check against them like this? I'm genuinely curious.
Yes, fighters used to be amazing. It's hard to even describe how thoroughly the 3rd edition changes (not just to wizards but to thieves as well) wrecked the... I won't call it balance but wrecked the way the game used to work. Fighters, at one point, were the primary source of enemy removal; they did the most damage of any class including dedicated blaster spellcasters (who could deal greater damage in area effect attacks), they were the most resilient characters (by a stupid degree if they had a high constitution to go along with their strength), they had, for the most part, the best set of saving throws and they were the only class who could easily achieve an AC that actually needed to be rolled against by higher level enemies. Wizard's spellbooks used to be somewhat justified simply because they were so dramatically inferior in combat encounters to fighters; Clerics in pre-2nd edition were generally pretty okay but never had enough spell slots to go insane with the buffs the way they could later on; Thieves were the odd man out -- if you could get them in situations where they could use their class abilities they were great but 'you open the door and see seven bugbears, roll for initiative' was usually pretty bad for them, backstab was not as functional as sneak attack.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's silly to assume Rust Monsters and the like exist to 'balance' Fighters. I know it's a commonly held belief that every rule that makes Fighters suck a little more was installed by the gently caress Fighters Wizards Rule Cabal, but that's not really the case. Most information from Gygax's table is anecdotal but it sounds like most monsters were either created whole-cloth from some weird fever dream the guy had or it was created in response to a boring, repetitive task one of his players had gotten into the habit of doing. "I hit is with my sword" is pretty dull, and trying to scramble for a sharp stick or a club and trying to keep some distance from the thing is actually kind of neat.

I'm not defending DnD's design, of course, because that's not very good design. At the very least I'd like to see a monster that eats spell levels or something.

NorgLyle posted:

Yes, fighters used to be amazing. It's hard to even describe how thoroughly the 3rd edition changes (not just to wizards but to thieves as well) wrecked the... I won't call it balance but wrecked the way the game used to work. Fighters, at one point, were the primary source of enemy removal; they did the most damage of any class including dedicated blaster spellcasters (who could deal greater damage in area effect attacks), they were the most resilient characters (by a stupid degree if they had a high constitution to go along with their strength), they had, for the most part, the best set of saving throws and they were the only class who could easily achieve an AC that actually needed to be rolled against by higher level enemies. Wizard's spellbooks used to be somewhat justified simply because they were so dramatically inferior in combat encounters to fighters; Clerics in pre-2nd edition were generally pretty okay but never had enough spell slots to go insane with the buffs the way they could later on; Thieves were the odd man out -- if you could get them in situations where they could use their class abilities they were great but 'you open the door and see seven bugbears, roll for initiative' was usually pretty bad for them, backstab was not as functional as sneak attack.

Also this. Plus Rogues leveled so much quicker than everybody else that it almost didn't matter that they were strictly an inferior option - they pulled ahead in hit dice after a while even if they lacked a good-sized die.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

In one game a party member basically pulled a Full Metal Alchemist and when he died got his soul bound in an Iron Golem, so as a joke our DM had a rust monster guard the door to a place after he was getting cocky about getting past other traps easier. The rust monster near instantly died when the door swung open to reveal the big bad so it wasn't much of an 'encounter' just a way to make him go 'aw poo poo' for a sec.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

moths posted:

This is the crown jewel of my miniatures collection.

Take better care of your cast iron pans, you monster.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The occasional puzzle / hazard monster can be really fun. I think part of the problem is that they aren't updated for modern campaign design, and instead function just like the dungeoneering puzzles they used to be. Bill The Generic Fighter gets his sword eaten, you flail around the dungeon for a bit and quickly roll up a new one. Maybe hide your Magic Sword of Asskicking +2 so you don't get disappointed by losing some especially good loot. Legendary Hero Wolfgang losing his ancestral family axe to some half-bit random encounter and being useless for an entire game session because his character is designed around axefighting? Not nearly as fun.

Its the same reason why rolling stats, random loot tables, save-or-dies, weight requirements, and most kinds of trap are also falling heavily out of favor. They're great for a dungeon crawler, but terrible for a sprawling epic.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also, puzzle monsters are kind of bullshit when they've been in every rulebook of every edition in the game for the last FORTY YEARS.

A gas spore is the least surprising surprise monster imaginable. Let's use WIZARD SPORES instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

In our Eberron 4E game, which takes place at Morgrave University, we fought rust monsters with magic missile projectors embedded in their foreheads during the section of finals designed by the warforged Mythiobiology professor, along with rats injected with a serum that resulted in them being constantly on fire and a gelatinous cube with a time bomb inside of it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

xiw posted:

Also, puzzle monsters are kind of bullshit when they've been in every rulebook of every edition in the game for the last FORTY YEARS.

A gas spore is the least surprising surprise monster imaginable. Let's use WIZARD SPORES instead.

:gonk: Do the WIZARD SPORES burst open to release wizards?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

For fun the toys and their monsters and how they look now.

Holy hell, I owned that toy when I was kid. I distinctly remember playing with it when I was kid. I always thought it looked a little creepy as a kid. Who would think I was playing with a rust monster?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NachtSieger posted:

:gonk: Do the WIZARD SPORES burst open to release wizards?

There's an Oglaf for that! :eng101: :nws: Obviously not safe for work. :nws:

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Covok posted:

Holy hell, I owned that toy when I was kid. I distinctly remember playing with it when I was kid. I always thought it looked a little creepy as a kid. Who would think I was playing with a rust monster?

Holy hell, me too!

Where did the original toy come from? I remember bending back its stupid feelers!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah, we don't need wizard spores. Wizards are bad enough already.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serdain posted:

Holy hell, me too!

Where did the original toy come from? I remember bending back its stupid feelers!

Hong Kong

It was a crappy dinosaur toy set that Gygax picked up and made three monsters out of.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

moths posted:

Gygax: Why is my game turning into the weird wizard show, argh!

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

With its comparatively minor punishments I can see how the rust monster would be interesting to run into in the right context.

Picture this:
"You approach a cave and see that the ground is littered with scraps of metal and pitted scraps of swords/armor. While most of it appears to be worthless - there is some that appears to only have a superficial coating of rust.

As you venture further in, you can see a set of antennae attached to some kind of satanic armadillo that is happily chewing on a scimitar that turns to red dust in its mouth.

Without seeming to take much notice of you, it waddles further back into the cave and vanishes around a corner."

Then your players can comfortably witness the consequences of fighting the Rust Bug and have plenty of spare weapons/armour they can use lying around.

Worst case - they can go and get some rocks to bash its stupid head in and find that it was keeping a horde of indigestible magic weapons! Or piles of gold it didn't really enjoy eating cause gold is less ferrous!

That having been said - the risk of new DMs throwing them at a low-level party still exists and not warning them is still stupid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serdain posted:

That having been said - the risk of new DMs throwing them at a low-level party still exists and not warning them is still stupid.

The Dwarf Paladin saying he nearly lost faith because of Rust Monster eating his weapons is a decent warning. As is the thing were it says they fear them more then a squad of Orcs.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Dwarf Paladin saying he nearly lost faith because of Rust Monster eating his weapons is a decent warning. As is the thing were it says they fear them more then a squad of Orcs.

Agree this might serve as some warning. However, I still think it's very likely that new DMs will read that with the same flavour as "Dwarves are scared of oceans" and "Orcs are scared of Tea Parties". That is to say, the race has a particular reason to hate it rather than the thing itself being threatening.

It's this kind of in-built racism that makes it hard to tell when something is hated because its a universal threat or hated because all Good characters in D&D are racist bigots, while Evil characters will work with anyone and learn to love anything.

It takes a truly Evil character to be Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord of Bore posted:

Note that aside from the whip, all martial melee weapons are made of metal or have metal heads in the case of spears, flails and the like (unless you try and claim your maul is made of stone). Hope you packed a staff or a club or something.

You could reverse a spear and use it as a staff?