Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm enjoying ToQuger, but I understand why Bandai would want to keep it

Derailing suddenly, but I think one of the failings so far is that Neo Saban doesn't have American villains so far

Okay, hear me out. Rita Post Season 2. Zedd. Astronema. Trakeena. Ransik. Lothor, Mesogog, and Venjix. Divatox and Flurious are the only ones where this fall aparts, given how much people dislike them.

What do these beloved villains all have in common? American acting and suits. It's easier to invest the villain with personality if they have a face or American scripting to them. If I see another suit only villain with a bunch of stupid consonants, it'll be too soon. Malkor had no presence, Xandred did nothing for most of the series, and people only liked Dekar, AN AMERICAN ACTED VILLAIN and nobody liked the Morlocks, even me, and I love Mystic Force. The only good villains there were Koragg for being an evil Ranger with powers, and Imperious, a fabulous mummy.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Weren't there also complaints in Japan about the Go-Buster power suits being too different from power suits seen in previous seasons?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Shredder is killed off by the new girl turtle in episode 2 (the series starts with a 5 parter. 5!!)

I say this every single time Next Mutation comes up, but the notion of another turtle growing up separate from the others, and a female one at that, is not inherently bad. And make no mistake, that's what a lot of people say, that it was a bad idea to add another turtle, and EWWW she was a girl!

The issues were A) she got the bullshit magic stuff to avoid having to have her actually fight, and B)they did the laziest, most stereotypical 'it's the late 90s, but somehow she acts like she's from feudal Japan' contrast. Why not do east coast vs west coast and have her end up in SF Bay or the Valley? Or she has to fend for herself in Tokyo, so you have a full-on Akibahara nerd girl hanging out with Mikey? Or gently caress it, she wound up in Atlantic City, and you have the age-old Manhattan guys looking down on the Jersey girl conflict?

Literally all of those are more interesting than what they did, AND you can either have her on a par with the guys in terms of fighting (maybe she's more self-taught than them) or starting from scratch, thus she's our POV character...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wade didn't say anything bad about Venus though.

I still say she should have the name of a famous Artist, but whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The turtle in space crossover is so good. Its halfway awesome and halfway so bad it's good.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The whole Venus concept was made better in the 2012 series anywhere, where April s the defacto fifth Turtle, being trained as a kunoichi by Splinter. But that's neither here nor there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do hope Dino Charge gives the Female Cyan suit more use than Kyoryuger did. I also hope the Caveman backstory for Blue isn't as completely as retarded as it sounds. On the other hand, Kyoryujin Western would make 100% more sense given that there's an actual cowboy character in the lineup. Kung-Fu stops making as much sense in exchange.

Also, here's a thing that's kinda old: http://www.jefusion.com/2014/04/power-rangers-dino-charge-character-info_5.html

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Technicly, Venus mentally revived Oroku Saki, who is somehow different than The Shredder, and rehabilitated him over the course of a minute and a half. It was worse than if she had just straight up murdered him.

/sperg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

The thing to understand, the difference, is this.

Saban is not skipping Go-Busters.

Bandai is.

Bandai rode that money-losing train before and they aren't keen to do so again, thus Saban magically gets to skip it, first time in decades that they could.

If Saban gets to skip ToQger, it would only be because Bandai did not think it would be profitable-no other reason.

I don't think they're straight up skipping GoBusters. They already announced that Dino Charge would have elements from it, so I think we're looking at a Megaforce/Super Megaforce situation where to primary stuff comes from Kyoryuger, but Go-Busters poo poo is gonna be used too.

Or maybe a compairson would be MMPR Seasons 2 and 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Go-Busters as villains would be a twist.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they want to use stuff from Kyoruger vs Go-Busters (and they probably do) they have to shoe-horn the Busters in there somehow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

quote:

A caveman? Well, they really amped the age difference between Nossan and the others.

:laffo:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Or they could just show up for the crossover and when the Dino Charge crew ask what the deal is, they just wave it off. "You think your city is the only one attacked by 60-story monsters once a week? Pfft." Then disappear without saying goodbye when the day is saved.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

If they do Gobus, they better keep J intact.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Solaris Knight posted:

If they do Gobus, they better keep J intact.

J is the new Alpha

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

mateo360 posted:

J is the new Alpha

So wait, he just says "I I I" now? :D

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Solaris Knight posted:

So wait, he just says "I I I" now? :D

God drat it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I posted it I the other thread and it spefically said Saban is "thinking" about skipping it. Not definite yet. Also Go-Busters was not profitable for BOJ and Saban and BOA decided to skip for fear of the same. If they think ToQ won't make money in the US they're gonna skip it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It's a shame Go Busters didn't turn a profit. It was a hell of a show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can't see Toqger doing that great, either, so it's no wonder they might skip it. The mecha look like rear end, the show is razor-thin with only a handful of good characters, and at this point the only things I enjoy outside of the bad guys are Wagon, Akira, and Tokacchi.

And I only like Tokacchi because he's the worst loving member of the team.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can't see Toqger doing that great, either, so it's no wonder they might skip it. The mecha look like rear end, the show is razor-thin with only a handful of good characters, and at this point the only things I enjoy outside of the bad guys are Wagon, Akira, and Tokacchi.

And I only like Tokacchi because he's the worst loving member of the team.

Akira is the best, as perfits a Sixth, and I like that they've been keeping him relevant far beyond his initial arc by making him the guy who gathers intel on the Shadow Line and how they operate.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RBX posted:

I posted it I the other thread and it spefically said Saban is "thinking" about skipping it. Not definite yet. Also Go-Busters was not profitable for BOJ and Saban and BOA decided to skip for fear of the same. If they think ToQ won't make money in the US they're gonna skip it.

Yeah I wrote that when I was tired and it was late and should have said it wasn't definite yet, my bad.

at this point the only things I enjoy outside of the bad guys are Wagon

How the hell can you enjoy Wagon? I cringe every time she's on screen, she is pretty much the worst character.

The villains are great though, but that seems to be standard for Sentai, at least personally I can't think of any villain group I didn't like. I guess Gokaiger's were probably the most lackluster, not that they were terrible, but outside of the prince himself nobody else really stood out for most of the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Wade didn't say anything bad about Venus though.

I still say she should have the name of a famous Artist, but whatever.

Yeah, sorry if that came off as hostile to anyone in this thread, I just hate how the default fandom and even Laird/Eastman response is that a girl-turtle was a bad call when it wasn't, it was the execution.

And I did actually do some research into female Renaissence artists, but there's not a lot of widely known ones or even easy to come by info, so it would've been very difficult unless they broke the pattern another way and branched into another period or movement.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I actually didn't like Wagon at first. But as the show has gone on (holy poo poo, it's in the 20s already? Nothing is happening.), they have pointed out how her creepy sexuality is off-putting to everyone, and it's hilarious. That's why I like Wagon now.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Zangyack are bad villains by virtue of being the force that destroys the 34 Super Sentai, including gods, ancient beast users, and aliens. of course they wouldn't live up to the hype, especially given how they came out of nowhere. In that sense, the Armada is SLIGHTLY better because they got foreshadowed.

I'm thinking of getting a new wallpaper for my iPod Touch, but all the official site has is MMPR, and the two Megaforce teams. :argh:. Anyone got recommendations?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Tae posted:

The Go-Busters as villains would be a twist.

This is my honest to god hope even though its impossible to say if it'll happen. Its been ages since we had a legit evil team of Rangers, and well, from a thematic point of view you honestly couldn't ask for better. The Dino Charge/Kyoryuger powers are ancient and derived from natural (if supernatural) forces, whilst Go-Busters' suits are clearly more evocative of modern technology. With that kind of direct contrast, plus the Go-Busters suits being somewhat 'off' compared to the norm due to the use of leather over spandex, the two really could work well off each other as opposing sides.

Solaris Knight posted:

Zangyack are bad villains by virtue of being the force that destroys the 34 Super Sentai, including gods, ancient beast users, and aliens. of course they wouldn't live up to the hype, especially given how they came out of nowhere. In that sense, the Armada is SLIGHTLY better because they got foreshadowed.

That and the Armada didn't destroy the previous good guys offscreen. They're just an extra big alien invasion that isn't getting the proper intervention till the finale for whatever reason.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The fact that at least 3 gods were on that team didn't help the issue, much less at least 6 ghosts, 4 if you count Ninjaman as a demigod due to the Three God Generals.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

much less at least 6 ghosts, 4 if you count Ninjaman as a demigod

Oh, I'm sorry. Did Ninjaman count as two loving ghosts somehow? Samuraiman is still the same guy, he just touched his belt buckle.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Oh, I'm sorry. Did Ninjaman count as two loving ghosts somehow? Samuraiman is still the same guy, he just touched his belt buckle.

SOrry, bad phrasing. Three gods, Sungel, Blagel, and Miyuki/MagiWhite, and Ninjaman.

THe ghosts are Rio, Mele, Gai, and the three dead dinos.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 17, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My guess: The Go-Bus suits are a tier upgrade (like Mega/SuperMega) and the Vagrass are secondary villains/minions. Alternatively, they just use the monsters and Dark Buster Enter.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nah, they'll just be special animal Rangers. Watch out for the Green Hippopotamus!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Solaris Knight posted:

the three dead dinos.

Two dead dinos (Dragon Ranger and Abarikiller) and one time traveler (Time Fire)

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
There is also a dead bird.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Pyroi posted:

There is also a dead bird.

he got him

Solaris Knight posted:

THe ghosts are Rio, Mele, Gai, and the three dead dinos.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How the gently caress is anything in Go bus gonna mesh with Koyru? That'll be weird as he'll.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I still maintain that the biggest single issue with adapting Go Busters is finding a good way to explain the giant "GB"s everywhere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SKY COQ posted:

I still maintain that the biggest single issue with adapting Go Busters is finding a good way to explain the giant "GB"s everywhere.

They could just cold-cut ignore them like recent example RPM. And since they mostly appear in human scenes, it's easier than you think.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new wallpaper for my iPod Touch, but all the official site has is MMPR, and the two Megaforce teams. :argh:. Anyone got recommendations?

Bullshit, nobody was going to cry if it was Deboss or Messiah or even the Shadow Line that did it. Because those were all interesting groups. The Zangyack were boring, for most of the series their leader was a joke and the other three or four just sat around all day and did nothing. Hell, whats his name with the trumpet would have been better than them as a main villain. Its not about "living up to the hype," its about doing something, anything at all. And yet we got nothing.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Bullshit, nobody was going to cry if it was Deboss or Messiah or even the Shadow Line that did it. Because those were all interesting groups. The Zangyack were boring, for most of the series their leader was a joke and the other three or four just sat around all day and did nothing. Hell, whats his name with the trumpet would have been better than them as a main villain. Its not about "living up to the hype," its about doing something, anything at all. And yet we got nothing.

I still maintain that Basco WAS the main villain of Gokaiger, they just fought the Zangyack as an afterthought.

He has the warped foil of being a pirate, for one. He uses the Ranger Keys. He has connections to Marvelous AND AkaRed, who is the SOUL OF ALL SENTAI. He has the cool monster form, and he's one step ahead of the Gokaiger. Plus the direct comparison between Navi and Sally.

Try to prove me wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Solaris Knight posted:

I still maintain that Basco WAS the main villain of Gokaiger, they just fought the Zangyack as an afterthought.

He has the warped foil of being a pirate, for one. He uses the Ranger Keys. He has connections to Marvelous AND AkaRed, who is the SOUL OF ALL SENTAI. He has the cool monster form, and he's one step ahead of the Gokaiger. Plus the direct comparison between Navi and Sally.

Try to prove me wrong. :colbert:

So I guess Juuzou was the main villain of Shinkenger in the same way?