Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But that's only if build materials are your only measure of a toy's quality. There's plenty of figures that might be sturdy and heavy but are still piles of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Unless you consider a giant steam shovel hanging off a robot's rear end to be kibble, which I do. He looks ridiculous, and, more importantly, nothing like anything I would accept as Grimlock.

Nice connector peg dick, bro. Man, I do not miss those days. And are those OG gorilla arms I spy? I can't tell.

You go girl, with your ironic hipster loving of mediocre toys because they bear a vague resemblance to classic Spider-Man villains, but I will continue to not allow that act of violence in my home.

Fair enough, but it doesn't earn it a space on the cool-toys-fireplace-mantel, either.

You can just take the shovel off, dude.

I had fun with this guy as a kid. He's got superposeable legs, and his arms can work for some neat kung-fu poses. Also his compatriat, Hightower has a neat little pistol, and his leader has the name of an X-Wing pilot.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

But that's only if build materials are your only measure of a toy's quality.

The longer I've been collecting, the more I appreciate the materials, QC, and whatever else adds up to that "quality feel". I've been getting back into G1 a lot these days, mostly because there are very very few quality issues, and the ones that exist are very well-documented. I'm just exasperated with looking forward to a deluxe, then getting it in-hand and it's all light and flimsy-feeling.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm like you but with a love of articulation that overrides my love of nostalgia. So what that means is I'm draining my wallet buying more and more 3rd party stuff.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
All toys are fun. Go now and live enlightened, fulfilling lives.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The longer I've been collecting, the more I appreciate the materials, QC, and whatever else adds up to that "quality feel". I've been getting back into G1 a lot these days, mostly because there are very very few quality issues, and the ones that exist are very well-documented. I'm just exasperated with looking forward to a deluxe, then getting it in-hand and it's all light and flimsy-feeling.

That's a very valid approach. Like the Goon though, I have a much greater love for articulation and modern looks. Vintage G1 toys sadly do almost nothing for me now. I also have high tolerance for low quality materials (as long as the drat thing doesn't crumble in my hands) but I'll be the first to admit that it's not for everybody.

There's also a fuckton of toys that I know are subpar, yet still love for different reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got Roadbuster, Skids, and Windblade in the mail today.

Roadbuster's fantastic and comes with far, far too many guns, his transformation is simple yet satisfying, and he's got great stability thanks to his gigantic flat feet. About my only complaint is his hip and shoulder swivels are terrifyingly tight.

Windblade is a lot better than I thought she'd be, she seemed too spindly to convincingly pull off an alt mode, but it totally works. Some neat transformation tricks and interestingly articulated wings allow for a fun transformation and a great robot mode. Probably my main complaint is her robot high heels, which alongside being gauche as gently caress, also provide very little leg stability. Basically the opposite of Roadbuster's problem: her feet are too tiny and she falls down a lot.

Skids, from the past images I've seen of him, put me off for a while because he looked pretty crappily painted and such. The figure in-hand looks better than I thought he would, with more paint apps than I figured and some nice raised details. His transformation is neat, nothing too special, and probably my biggest complaint is his articulation. Specifically, his feet have plenty of articulation in the wrong direction(outwards instead of inwards) and his shoulders lack it altogether. His wrist-blasters seem kinda pointless and I feel like they could have better used the budget for those on improving his shoulders/ankles.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rei_ posted:

I love that you called someone else a hipster while referring unironically toy owning a toy as an act of violence showing we've officially just lost complete track of what that loving word means.

I love that you seem to be completely unable to detect facetiousness, and failed to pick up on a(n admittedly rather obscure) Kids In The Hall reference.

But yeah, RUINED 4EVAR or some poo poo, blah blah blah.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

That's a very valid approach. Like the Goon though, I have a much greater love for articulation and modern looks.

Those are a really close second for me, to be clear. Approximately 1996 - 2006 is pretty much a golden age for me, one I doubt we'll ever see again, unless it turns out that it's possible to convert solar energy into petroleum and everyone goes back to not giving a poo poo about factory working conditions in Asia.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm not really sure how I fall one way or the other. A lot of G1 bots looked fantastic in their alt modes but then they were doofy 80s action figures once you got them transformed.

OTOH, a lot of modern figures feel like the alt mode was designed around the bot transforming rather than vice-versa (probably because that's how they do it) so a lot of times alt modes feel real dumb but then sometimes the bot mode is SO loving COOL IT DOESN'T MATTER (like Springer, who I like more and more every day)

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
HTS decided to split my order into like five shipments for some reason, so I spent my weekend dicking around with the only two figures I got so far.

Nightbeat only needed a mild touchup. There's really no reason his chest couldn't have been pure yellow to begin with (from a glance at Bumblebee I thought the mold's chest was made from the car hood, but it totally isn't). Added some paint to his face and toes too.

So I was totally fine with Jhiaxus being orange until I got him in hand and found out that's he's an eye-searing fluorescent safety cone orange that is unreproducible in RGB or CMYK colorspace. So I decided to repaint him into his IDW colors. Sort of. He looked orangey in the panel I was working from, but I realized halfway through that I'm pretty sure it's just because he was meant to be in shadow. So now my excuse is that he's a happy medium between his RID and comic colors. It also gave me a convenient reason to leave most of his gray unpainted.

And the vehicle mode. I assumed it was going to be a complete write-off, but I think the colors actually work surprisingly well together. Even if the deco isn't accurate to... well, anything, I think the end result looks nicer than his typical primary color scheme would've anyway.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Love that Jhiaxus! Really cool paintjob, man.

Some people have been mistransforming their Nightbeats as the upcoming exclusive goshooter, helps differentiate him from bumblebee, ymmv on how it looks.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, gently caress it. I might paint my Jhiaxus too.

Also I find G1 toys cool because I don't really pose my figures all that much. And there's only so many poses you can do with a guy holding a pistol in ine hand and a fist in the other. Maybe I'm just bad at posing robots, I dunno. I prefer posing bandai figures with different hands and stuff.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Old and new

Less goofy feet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Those are a really close second for me, to be clear. Approximately 1996 - 2006 is pretty much a golden age for me, one I doubt we'll ever see again, unless it turns out that it's possible to convert solar energy into petroleum and everyone goes back to not giving a poo poo about factory working conditions in Asia.

It is possible to convert solar energy into petroleum, all you need is heat, pressure, millions of years, and a complete lack of organisms that can digest lignin. I realize this may not be helpful to the Transformers collecting hobby.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So this appeared last night:

Saving cute alien family, dodging bullets and slicing off a 'con's arm, all within the three-page preview. Yep, Shane McCarthy is back. Will he top the last two pages of the Drift miniseries?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Countach Carrying A Robot Shark: Mysterious Myth or Legendary Legend?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
^^^ That looks like some insane monument. I could see Conan the Barbarian wandering into some abandoned city, and finding only that statue.
(Later he fucks a fembot and fights a tentacled elephant transformer)

I got Roadbuster in the mail yesterday. I was only able to spend about twenty minutes with him, but he's pretty neat! I love his colors. And transformation was solidly chunky, which I always appreciate.

Just got confirmation that MMC Tigris is on its way. BBTS should be getting in Wheeljack and Quantron this month (right??), and that'll complete my POL that has MMC Talon and the latest deluxe (Windblade, Nightbeat, etc.) four-pack. That's going to be an epic box opening day.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

^^^ That looks like some insane monument. I could see Conan the Barbarian wandering into some abandoned city, and finding only that statue.
(Later he fucks a fembot and fights a tentacled elephant transformer)

I got Roadbuster in the mail yesterday. I was only able to spend about twenty minutes with him, but he's pretty neat! I love his colors. And transformation was solidly chunky, which I always appreciate.

Just got confirmation that MMC Tigris is on its way. BBTS should be getting in Wheeljack and Quantron this month (right??), and that'll complete my POL that has MMC Talon and the latest deluxe (Windblade, Nightbeat, etc.) four-pack. That's going to be an epic box opening day.

Sweet they also got more Roadbusters and Skybytes, I can FINALLY get mine along with the new deluxos!

edit: aaand shipped that PoL! It's amazing how much you save in combined international shipping.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 16, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've just started a re-read of the entire IDW run, to get myself back up to speed for getting into MTMTE and RiD. Megatron: Origin suffers from some godawful colouring and a plot which starts off okay then seems to skip two issues before wrapping itself up in the most unsatisfying way possible. Stormbringer on the other hand is still fantasic, though Furman's dialogue in sections is... a bit poo poo to put it mildly.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
According to the wiki, Megatron Origin was planned at Dreamwave before they closed. Megatron as the leader of a gladiatorial slave revolt is an idea from the Dreamwave continuity.

Unrelated:

God drat it, Megatron.

Happy Fun Bollocks fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 16, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Nice yellow sweater, Megatron.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of POL, I just had them ship me a big box of stuff including Sky-Byte, Roadbuster, the Jhiaxus wave, and the Skids wave.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I wish that Roadbuster's shoulders tabbed in somewhere. That sliding hinge, combined with the tight joints in his shoulders, makes me a little worried.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

God drat it, Megatron.

no lie, I remember reading this in an annual when it was originally published, and was loving terrified. It must have been... 85 or 86?

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

no lie, I remember reading this in an annual when it was originally published, and was loving terrified. It must have been... 85 or 86?

There was talk about Scrounge in The Smelting Pool a while back, which is probably the iconic child-distressing scene, but Victory! was a close second for me. loving Grimlock bisecting Megs then taking a Fusion Cannon down the throat, then skeletal murderbot Robo-Joy on top of that. The readers who get upset by MTMTE just haven't been properly tempered when young.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tag Plastic posted:

There was talk about Scrounge in The Smelting Pool a while back, which is probably the iconic child-distressing scene, but Victory! was a close second for me. loving Grimlock bisecting Megs then taking a Fusion Cannon down the throat, then skeletal murderbot Robo-Joy on top of that. The readers who get upset by MTMTE just haven't been properly tempered when young.

at the other end of the spectrum, here's Unicron with toilets

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Iced Cocoa posted:

So this appeared last night:

Saving cute alien family, dodging bullets and slicing off a 'con's arm, all within the three-page preview. Yep, Shane McCarthy is back. Will he top the last two pages of the Drift miniseries?
As long as it is in its own continuity world, I don't care. If McCarthy starts loving around with RiD/MTMTE continuity it will be garbage, and Roberts will need to write three issues just to fix it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
BBTS just got their first shipment of Acid Storm and Gears.

Granted the new shelf clogging hotness is Scourge and Cliffjumper, but I can see Acidstorm being very prominent in the months to come.

I mean really nobody cares about Acidstorm no matter how many toys they make of him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like Acid Storm. He's cool.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Taint Reaper posted:

I mean really nobody cares about Acidstorm no matter how many toys they make of him.

It's not that nobody likes him, it's just that he is like the C list or worse of the seekers, and by the time he's out, he is a repaint that has passed the acceptable thresh hold of repaints, which is about three. When you're looking at him, it's usually because you already have Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker. If he and Sunstorm had some kind of remolding on them to make them not look like the original three they might not shelf warm so bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hey guys, the new MTMTE is out! And it's great! And it's- OH gently caress!

BRAINSTORM!?!?!?!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

(and no, he's not dead, it's much worse than that)

So many great moments but Ravage's steely "touch me again and I'll kill you" slayed me in particular.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Sentinel Red posted:

So many great moments but Ravage's steely "touch me again and I'll kill you" slayed me in particular.

Also on that note:

RaspberryCommie posted:

It's not really an alternate timeline. It's the same universe, same timeline. Just an alternate Lost Light.

:smug:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I hate to break it to you but it was the Original Lost Light. Well, both of the ships are the Original Lost Light, but that's besides the point.

Also, that ending. :stare: James Roberts you know so well how to make people buy the next issue.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Honourable mention for Nautica's quantum joke as well. From here on in, every joke I ever tell is a quantum joke.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope they make an FoC Acid Storm repaint.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Future TFCC idea spotted.

Sentinel Red posted:

What is the name of the son of a bitch whedonian shitstain that rips Pipes in half ala movie megatron he is my new enemy for life.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 17, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

In the couple of panels between realizing there would have also been a duplicate Overlord and learning that the DJD of course killed him I had a moment of panic. I am a dumb.

Also, way to go Skids, you tell that giant ancient tyrant.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Fair point, Kao but I was too busy staring in horror wondering if Tarn was holding that dude who turns into a sniper rifle and using him to shoot Cyclonus' head into tiny pieces.

Holy poo poo, you guys, such a good issue. More people should read this series, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hooray MTMTE day

Holy poo poo, Skids telling off Megatron. Skids, you have always been my favorite, and that is another reason why.

Brainstooorm nooooooo

I really loved that they had to put in yet another rendition of Pipes dying.

Also the not-subtle-at-all jab at posters theorizing about Lost Light business was pretyy funny.