Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

I disable fishing on all but one guy. One successful fisher provides plenty of shells if shells are available on the map. Make the one fisherman also a hunter or at least a lumberjack so he can make a heroic last stand when the baddies inevitably come for him.

Usually it's one fisher on two cleaners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed hunting was broken. I have hundreds of wooden bolts, hunters are assigned to use wooden bolts, regular bolts, metal bolts, I've tried everything. He gathers his equipment (including the quiver that he just put all of the bolts into) and just stands around doing nothing.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Good idea: Setting up a well until the farms and breweries are established.
Bad idea: Doing it outside, where it freezes over in winter.

Everyone died of thirst.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Frankly I find it takes longer to build a well then it does to set up farms and a brewery.

PS never do ANYTHING outside. If you haven't constructed your fort such that you can instantly, at a moment's notice, cut yourself off from the outside world and never give another poo poo about it again for the rest of your life, you're not dwarfy enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Frankly I find it takes longer to build a well then it does to set up farms and a brewery.

PS never do ANYTHING outside. If you haven't constructed your fort such that you can instantly, at a moment's notice, cut yourself off from the outside world and never give another poo poo about it again for the rest of your life, you're not dwarfy enough.

I always build some space outside that's inaccessible, via channeling or walls or clearing the ramps off hills to isolate it. Pastures and outdoor farms!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If anyone is interested, a new DF Arena tournament started recently, with 64 contestants in 16 teams. Highlights of the first two matches include hot gremlin cripple on Minotaur action, a goblin with serious anger management issues, and a troll playing whack-a-dwarf.

Here's a link to the first fight: SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been away for a while. Have any of the recent updates fixed the "Everything is scared of you/Won't attack you" issues in Adventure Mode yet?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Subjunctive posted:

I always build some space outside that's inaccessible, via channeling or walls or clearing the ramps off hills to isolate it. Pastures and outdoor farms!

This is good, but I set it up so that the outdoor farms/pastures can be cut off as well if necessary.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is good, but I set it up so that the outdoor farms/pastures can be cut off as well if necessary.
Or build a ceiling over them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zereth posted:

Or build a ceiling over them.

do channeled, but covered tiles (still "Light", but indoors) count as sunlit for the purpose of staving off cave adaptation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excelzior posted:

do channeled, but covered tiles (still "Light", but indoors) count as sunlit for the purpose of staving off cave adaptation?

They count as "outside", which is what the game checks. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_adaptation

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is DF2014, ready to be played by new people yet?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Turtlicious posted:

Is DF2014, ready to be played by new people yet?

Releases are still coming out fairly often, but a lot of the major bugs have been fixed up at this point. I'd say it is at a point where new people can pick it up now (especially as the major utilities are up-to-date for the current release*).

* A new release may come tomorrow though, but saves have been compatible for the last several releases

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Bah, unretiring a bigger fortress is annoying, every room has moved their furniture one tile in a random direction, doors have disappeared, random tunnels have been dug for no goddamn reason...and my queen dwarf is no longer in the noble screen but listed as a queen in the civ screen. She's a quantum queen.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Default Settings posted:

Good idea: Setting up a well until the farms and breweries are established.
Bad idea: Doing it outside, where it freezes over in winter.

Everyone died of thirst.

Setting up the well can be an interesting challenge, depending on how vital it is to your dwarves' survival.

I remember one salt water embark where I finally had a retaining pond constructed, and a screw pump purifying salt water into it. Then the edge of winter hit and it froze. Some poor planning on my part.

Everyone died before I even got my first migrant wave.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I usually just build a wall and then fret over how to let in trade caravans without compromising all of my security. Channeling a moat around everything is too easy for my tastes. Also, when was the last time you heard about a great fortress moat? Not dwarfy, IMHO.

After Faithless' story, though, I'm a bit concerned about trees and invaders. I haven't had enough idle time to watch how trees sprout from saplings now, but I suspect it is all-at-once.

If I ever get magma all the way up to the surface my dwarves may have to have a lava moat. To stop the trees.
:black101:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

canepazzo posted:

Bah, unretiring a bigger fortress is annoying, every room has moved their furniture one tile in a random direction, doors have disappeared, random tunnels have been dug for no goddamn reason...and my queen dwarf is no longer in the noble screen but listed as a queen in the civ screen. She's a quantum queen.

I was curious about this. Any more horror stories to relate?

Personally I was hoping to establish a mighty citadel, retire it, and then do a lot of adventuring.

Ideally I could then unretire the fortress and see if the dwarves would create monuments of my adventuring exploits.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Setting up the well can be an interesting challenge, depending on how vital it is to your dwarves' survival.

I remember one salt water embark where I finally had a retaining pond constructed, and a screw pump purifying salt water into it. Then the edge of winter hit and it froze. Some poor planning on my part.

Everyone died before I even got my first migrant wave.

I usually just build a wall and then fret over how to let in trade caravans without compromising all of my security. Channeling a moat around everything is too easy for my tastes. Also, when was the last time you heard about a great fortress moat? Not dwarfy, IMHO.

After Faithless' story, though, I'm a bit concerned about trees and invaders. I haven't had enough idle time to watch how trees sprout from saplings now, but I suspect it is all-at-once.

If I ever get magma all the way up to the surface my dwarves may have to have a lava moat. To stop the trees.
:black101:

Magma is obviously the best solution to every problem, but you can also prevent trees from sprouting by building good stone floors or roads. Pave the earth.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

Magma is obviously the best solution to every problem, but you can also prevent trees from sprouting by building good stone floors or roads. Pave the earth.

My thinking was along the lines of "what will I want when I'm in adventure mode?"

I'll probably be bored by roads, but the chance to dodge a bird skeleton into surface lava? That's gonna be too tasty to pass up.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

quote:

PS never do ANYTHING outside.
I had built a small hut around the well, accessible only through a tunnel linking it with the fortress.

My actual problem was that the last time I played DF was several years ago - I was still used to manage without surface crops or the easier ways of irrigation. When the fortress crumbled, I was in the middle of setting up a needlessly elaborate irrigation system which OF COURSE also failed when the river froze.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't played in a while, but last time I played Masterwork and there was a neat little plugin with an inventory window you could toggle on/off with a key binding. It basically showed how much you had left of half a dozen important goods (coal, metal bars, food, drink etc), so it saved me a bunch of time (since the regular stocks menu is such a pain to navigate). I don't remember what it was called though. Playing with the Starter Pack now, is that plugin included or is there a way to install it?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Default Settings posted:

I had built a small hut around the well, accessible only through a tunnel linking it with the fortress.

My actual problem was that the last time I played DF was several years ago - I was still used to manage without surface crops or the easier ways of irrigation. When the fortress crumbled, I was in the middle of setting up a needlessly elaborate irrigation system which OF COURSE also failed when the river froze.

just build your farms on underground soil and they'll be fine

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Default Settings posted:

Internalizing water is usually my first step. Either I wait until the river freezes, or if winter passes and it doesn't, I dig from the fortress halls to the river and then channel out that last square when everything is ready for the deluge.

I'm a believer in needlessly elaborate irrigation systems.

I currently (ha ha) found a way that worked out well (HA): Leading up from the bottom of the water intake I have a series of larger and larger rooms, each connected to the lower point by channels. It would hold more water in reserve if I had just dug a subterranean pit which expanded more on each level, but just a terrace series of rooms works out okay.

I wager if I had invested more space/planned better I could have just left the water intake open, and let natural evaporation stop my fortress from flooding. (Might still do this if I have a hankering for something stupid to doom me which will probably also hurt my FPS.)

If a fortress is in a rough spot, I'll pump water from the first cavern reserves I can find. This takes much longer, though. And it's less of a chance of screwing everything up so it is not as fun.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Is it possible to pump water straight up a chute? My lone dwarf only seems to be able to pump the water up one Z level, I was wondering if it just needs more power or if I need several pumps to get it up several levels.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

This is where the term "pump stack" comes from.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Embark over an aquifer. Dig through it. Open it up from below. Route the resulting downpour wherever you want. Drain it out through the caverns.

FUN!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Moats work just fine if you fill them with appropriate animals. Dry moat? Full of badgers and snakes or something like that. Watery moat? Cave crocodiles, alligators, etc. Lava moat? Crabs.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Moats work just fine if you fill them with appropriate animals. Dry moat? Full of badgers and snakes or something like that. Watery moat? Cave crocodiles, alligators, etc. Lava moat? Crabs.

the crabs climb out though

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Line the moat with smooth brickwork. Not anymore.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

GenericOverusedName posted:

gently caress, I so want to do this now. I know caged creatures never drown, but do amphibious ones like crocs need to go on land to breath once out of the cage? Would they eventually starve if I left them there, walled in? How would you get them down there if the moat was completely smooth? Who cares, the idea of having a moat filled with crocodiles is just too loving good.

Actually you know what? Chains. Chain them to the bottom. They should still be able to move one Z level up to breath. A good few dwarves would lose limbs and a good few crocs would need to be put down while trying to get them there, but who cares? loving crocodile moat.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
You could probably tame them and assign the space as a pasture, couldn't you? Then flood it with water afterwards?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

[AMPHIBIOUS] tag just makes the creature not drown. Not in air, not in water, can path through either.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is there a relatively updated newbie pack with Therpaist and dfhack(because who doesn't love actually having multi-z level rendering)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MohawkSatan posted:

Is there a relatively updated newbie pack with Therpaist and dfhack(because who doesn't love actually having multi-z level rendering)?

Latest PeridexisErrant starter pack has it. Not sure about other platforms.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Subjunctive posted:

Latest PeridexisErrant starter pack has it. Not sure about other platforms.

The MacNewbie starter pack is usually updated faster than the Peridexis' pack, mostly because of dfhack. Both are up-to-date currently.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Well, up-to-date for the previous :siren: RELEASE :siren:

Toady One, v0.40.13 posted:

This release fixes some more bugs, old and new.

Major bug fixes

Fixed item storage crash related to minecart being destroyed
Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts
Cleared old activities properly so they aren't considered by dwarves for too long

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Decreased frequency of conversation-skill-building dwarf chats
Reworked grazing formula, used fractional exponent to scale properly according to size
Made grazing tile selection less top-left biased and made it prefer non-creature'd tiles with denser grass
Made butcher jobs for corpses not in piles respect z coordinate of building (Quietust)
Handled some issues with subterranean areas being removed through trees
Made workshop profile skill checks ignore skill rust
Fixed problem with siege operator skill check (Quietust)
Stopped a lever linking job from being added if it is already in progress
Stopped fort dwarves from throwing their clothes off into a pile during unretire after being visited by adventurer
Stopped fort animals from getting clothing during unretire after being visited by adventurer
Stopped animals with kills from getting trinkets from corpses
Stopped animals from growing attached to and bestowing names on items in their possession
Stopped embark screen from setting neighbors with regular sites that happen to have zombies (due to another bug)
Made "place item in tomb" job governed by burial instead of item hauling labor
Made outside refuse order respect inside/outside instead of above ground/subterranean
Stopped inside above ground corpses/corpse pieces from being destroyed periodically
Stopped evaporation of inside above ground water from depending on the weather
Stopped water items on the ground from being cleanable -- they evaporate instead
Made water spatter evaporate properly over time
Sped up extrasensory detection
Sped up tracking of food consumption
Re-enabled effects of cave adaptation

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

scamtank posted:

Re-enabled effects of cave adaptation

Cool, my fortresses have been short on puke lately.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Embark over an aquifer. Dig through it. Open it up from below. Route the resulting downpour wherever you want. Drain it out through the caverns.

FUN!
You left out the "watch your FPS die" step.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My militia commander has 2 points in Discipline so I thought I could send him after a giant tick. I see him running in mortal terror and check and it says he hates ticks :iit:.

He was covered in tears.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hope the bug held it together at least, nothing quite as bad as a nervous tick :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i hope the bug held it together at least, nothing quite as bad as a nervous tick :newlol:

:drat: