Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Sober posted:

Ummm, so when you write your malformed abortion of a piece of fanfiction, you can at least say you had used all those tropes?

Excuse me, in my fanfiction she subverts that trope and has no legs. How she got like that is Darker and Edgier. (+1 trope, writer gains trait 'unreadability')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hammurabi posted:

Why yes, most people do have legs.

Really though why the gently caress are any of those things even tropes at all? Literally none of those things can even remotely be called tropes or storyline conventions, they're just a laundry list of things tropers masturbate to about the characters.

This is the trope page for "She's Got Legs".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShesGotlegs posted:

She's Got Legs

There are many things about a woman that can catch the camera's eye. Some shows may focus on her ample chest; others, her curvy behind; and others still like to take a really long look at how lovely her legs are.

This trope deals with cases where a female character's legs are given special attention. This is in the form of Male Gaze, usually with slow pans up her legs, or her legs are mentioned at some point in the story as being an attractive feature. This is notably recurrent in G-rated fiction, where the Male Gaze is directed to the legs rather than the even more sexualized breasts and buttocks.

Often seen in conjunction with a Sexy Walk. Zettai Ryouiki, Showgirl Skirt, Dangerously Short Skirt, Underwear/Leotards/Mini Dresses Of Power, Qipao, Who Wears Short Shorts? and Footsie Under the Table are also good ways to show off these features. A Kick Chick will almost always have these, as will most female Dance Battlers. The Statuesque Stunner will also have these, more often than not. Bath Kick and Foot Popping are used to show these off as well. If the Amazonian Beauty has them, expect either the narration, other characters, or the character design to emphasize her legs' muscularity as attractive, often with special attention to the thighs.

Related to Fanservice, natch. Show Some Leg is not necessarily related, but certainly can be.

Examples

Films - Animated

In The Great Mouse Detective Miss Kitty has quite a pair.

Nani Pelekai from Lilo & Stitch.

Elsa from Frozen after she gets her ice dress.

Pinball

Prominently featured on the backglass of The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot.
The Bride returns in the sequel, Jack*Bot, showing off her legs on both the backglass and the playfield.

In the original art for Bally's Star Trek, the left triangle bumper had a picture of a female crewmember sitting down with her bare legs prominently shown.

The playfield for WhizBang Pinball's Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons has Melony showing off a pair of shapely legs right above the flippers.

In Scared Stiff, the playfield features mirrored shots of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark that show off her legs.

The protagonist of "Space Sister" in Super Pinball II: The Amazing Odyssey often show off her long, bare legs in the display animations.

The playfield art for Truck Stop shows Betty and Marge posing next to a gas pump and showing off their bare legs.

Western Animation

Played for laughs in the Woody Woodpecker cartoon A Fine Feathered Frenzy. Gorgeous Gal, an overweight and elderly crow wanted to marry Woody Woodpecker the second she laid eyes on him. The wealthy widow loved young woodpeckers so whenever the opportunity presented itself she grabbed him and lavished him with kisses or tried to seduce him. At one point she gets glamed up really nice with a red dress, pearls and a slightly better wig. When Woody spots her he smiles so he may have taken an interest in this new look. Sitting in a chair she offers the Woodpecker with her sexy voice, "Cheescake?" She hikes up her skirt and reveals her crossed legs. She is wearing black panty house with black heels to match, but her legs are as skinny as toothpicks! With crossed eyes and a toothy grin the confused and horrified Woodpecker hops away.

Jeanette from Alvin and the Chipmunks has a cute pair of stems, which is helped by a pleated miniskirt being part of her signature wardrobe. The Chipmunk Adventure and Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman further emphasize this; in the former, we're treated to a number of Panty Shots as well as being treated to a sexy harem outfit, while in the latter Jeanette is at one point seen in an incredibly short dress and boots.

Brittany too, as almost all of her wardrobe consists of short skirts or shorts. During the 80s series in particular, legwarmers were her trademark.

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
I'm re-reading Anne Frank's diary at the moment and wondered if there's a TV Tropes page on it.

There is. And the Characters section is even worse.

quote:

Anyone Can Die: As this is non-fiction, it holds true that anyone can die. Sure enough, most of them do.

:shepicide:

quote:

Alternative Character Interpretation: The diary has been assigned in some North Korean classrooms. Students are taught that while Anne had a beautiful dream, she was naive and stupid for failing to fight against the Nazis. The students are then taught the importance of fighting against other "Nazi" nations, particularly the United States.

I wonder if any tropers think this. "Why didn't the people in the Annexe fight back against the Nazis? Pussies."

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
[citation needed]

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Tropers can't handle the most basic people interactions, you think they can wrap their heads around complicated things like that?

I was listening to a history podcast recently that talked about how the Mongols had their victims so terrified that one Mongol rounded up a group of people to kill, then realized he forgot his weapon. He told them to wait while he got it, and they ALL STAYED THERE AND WAITED, even though he was ALL ALONE, until he came back and killed them all. Do you really want to work out how tropers would try to understand something like that?

Knowing them, their Assessment would be A Sentence with lots of Randomly Capitalized Words because You Can Define existence by Applying Fiction Concepts To Everything.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cornwind Evil posted:

Tropers can't handle the most basic people interactions, you think they can wrap their heads around complicated things like that?

I was listening to a history podcast recently that talked about how the Mongols had their victims so terrified that one Mongol rounded up a group of people to kill, then realized he forgot his weapon. He told them to wait while he got it, and they ALL STAYED THERE AND WAITED, even though he was ALL ALONE, until he came back and killed them all. Do you really want to work out how tropers would try to understand something like that?

Knowing them, their Assessment would be A Sentence with lots of Randomly Capitalized Words because You Can Define existence by Applying Fiction Concepts To Everything.

How tropers try to understand something like that is the usual way they try to understand anything i.e. endlessly sub-divide into smaller and smaller categories.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FearTropes posted:

Fear Tropes

Not to be confused with Nightmare Fuel, which is a popular page that describes various audience reactions; nor tropes used in FEAR, though a few below are; nor The Fear Index, even though this is one.

Compare Horror Tropes. Contrast Bravery Tropes.

Tropes

Acrophobic Bird
Adorable Abomination
Adult Fear
Afraid of Blood
Afraid of Doctors
Afraid of Needles
Afraid of Their Own Strength
Anger Born of Worry
Anxiety Dreams
Appeal to Fear
Author Phobia
Bat Scare
Bring My Brown Pants
Cat Scare
C.A.T. Trap
Circus of Fear
Claustrophobia
Cowardly Lion
Cowardly Sidekick
Cower Power
Daylight Horror
Deer in the Headlights
Defanged Horrors
Delayed Oh Crap
Dirty Coward
The Dreaded
Face Your Fears
Fake Kill Scare
Fearless Fool
Fearless Undead
Fear Is the Appropriate Response
Fear of Thunder
Fearsome Foot
Flat Scare
Fright Death Trap
Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies
Hope Is Scary
"I Can't Look" Gesture
I Know What You Fear
I'm Not Afraid Of You
Ironic Fear
Kids Shouldn't Watch Horror Films
Lovable Coward
Miles Gloriosus
Mirror Scare
Not Afraid of You Anymore
Not Afraid to Die
Nothing Is Scarier
Oh Crap
Orphanage of Fear
Outscare the Enemy
Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality
Performance Anxiety
Previews Pulse
Primal Fear
Reactive Continuous Scream
Rule of Scary
Scare Chord
Scare Campaign
Scare Dare
Scare 'Em Straight
Scary Shadow Fakeout
Scary Teeth
Screams Like a Little Girl
Security Cling
The So-Called Coward
Tears of Fear
Terror Hero
The Villain Knows Where You Live
"What Do They Fear?" Episode
Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?
Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises
Worrying for the Wrong Reason
Your Worst Nightmare

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 16, 2014

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cornwind Evil posted:

Your Worst Nightmare The Dreaded Mongols making you do a Deer In The Headlights over your Cruel And Unusual Death because he's going to Kill Em All

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

:stonk: containment breached! Containment breached! One of ours has fallen

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

JosephWongKS posted:

TV Tropes: Academic Resource.

Jesus, wasn't Fetish Fuel supposed to be amputated years ago?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Jesus, wasn't Fetish Fuel supposed to be amputated years ago?

That only made them hornier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Zig-zagged in Chakona Space when Malena uses an overdose of mating pheromones to make Garrek impregnate her. In foxtaur society males are the protected gender so her actions are recognized as abhorrent and she is forced to leave their village, but she didn't know that Garrek would completely lose his will (they were already mated, she thought it would just "put him in the mood") and her Chakat co-mates are quick to forgive her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fanfic Recs: Family Guy
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.

These are recommendations made by Tropers for Family Guy fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.

You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.

Authors and Websites

None yet.

General Fics
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.

Attack of the 100 Foot Meg Griffin by Grey-X

It has its own article now.
Recommended by Burstkiller and Happy Man
Synopsis: Meg Griffin has always been treated like a reject and an outcast, even by her own family. But when exposure to a strange meteorite transforms her into a towering giantess and she finally snaps, everyone in Quahog had better watch out.
Comments: For those who been wanting a Meg revenge fic, this one will finally feed your hunger. Great characterizations, a plot that is solid from top to bottom and anime-flavored manatee gags that will leave you in tears. Fic has a very good pre-revival vibe to it and after reading, you might join the other reviewers in telling the author to send it in to Seth himself.

[add review for Attack of the 100 Foot Meg Griffin] add review

Payback From A Pipe by Meowth's Toon Dragon

Recommended by Gordon Schumway
Synopsis: After beating Brian half to death for sleeping with his transgender father, Quagmire learns that payback and karma can be both extremely vicious and extremely fast when Stewie finds out what happened...
Comments: If you're one of those people who's disgusted with Quagmire's hypocrisy in hating Brian when he's just about the last person who has any right to look down on anyone, and for beating a completely ignorant Brian at the end of Quagmire's Dad for something he had absolutely no idea about, then this is the fic for you. Stewie throws all of Quagmire's hypocritical bullshit back in his face, wonderfully deconstructing his original "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Brian by turning all of Quagmire's accusations back towards him, and giving Quagmire the fate he so richly deserves.
Second opinion by DARTHYAN: That sort of misses the point. Quagmire flat out admits that he does bad things as well. The only difference is that he doesn't try to act like he's a paragon of knowledge and virtue (Brian's claim to be into smart women yet always dating bimbos with good bodies, accusing christians of being ignorant and cruel when he not only failed college twice but failed as a father as well, and preaching on his soapbox about the plight of the poor while not doing jack poo poo about it). Some of Quagmire's points are legit.
Yeah, DARTHYAN, YMMV on all of that. While it's true Brian usually doesn't fess up to some of his problems (probably one of this biggest character flaws), it just doesn't change the fact Quagmire is inherently a much worse person at heart when compared to Brian. He has no problem sexually harassing teenagers, or apparently having his way with a teenage gagged and tied up ("Dear diary- Jackpot."). At least Brian tries to be a good person, even if his own faults tend to sometimes get in the way of that, compared to Quagmire who tends to do whatever he feels can get him laid in a situation most of the time. Oh, and the father thing is complete bullshit. Brian managed to completely turn that kids life around, from a delinquent to an honestly good person. The reason he went back with his mother was because Peter, Joe, Cleveland, and Quagmire thought he was being 'too much of a buzzkill' while raising him. So basically, Quagmire is part of the reason he's not raising his kid anymore, yet he still called him out on it during his speech. Quagmire did a good job finding a good home for his daughter until he mentioned he had no problems having sex with her once she turned 18, and during the episode when Peter had to repeat 3rd Grade, saw he had at least three kids in the school. His response was to promptly run away, so no- Brian isn't the failure as a father, Quagmire is. Brian may not be a saint, but he is when you compare what he's done to what Quagmire has done throughout the years.
Rebuttal: Personally, I think the speech definitely should have come from someone other than Quagmire (ideally Joe, considering that he's another of the show's Butt Monkies), but the points are legit. Also, just because Brian isn't raising his kid anymore doesn't mean he can't see him, and the point wasn't that Brian wasn't raising his son, but rather that he never saw his son. Although, again, considering Quagmire has a daughter (and, if the almost-a-cutaway gag is to be believe, multiple illegitimate sons), it would have actually made sense coming from someone other than Quagmire. But, let me make it clear: I'm defending the points themselves, not who they were made by.
This is coming from Meowth's Toon Dragon himself: When I wrote this story, I was mainly writing it as a way of catharsis after seeing the ending to Quagmire's Dad, an episode I STILL haven't rewatched since then. I am genuinely shocked how well-received its been and the thought of showing it to Seth HAS crossed my mind a few times. Finding it on TV Tropes is another shock and a huge delight, since I'm a big fan of the site. Since then, even with "Tiegs for Two", my opinion on Quagmire has not changed one bit and Brian is still my favorite character. But it seems maybe the writers HAVE come across my story based on what happened at the end of "Quagmire and Meg". Either way..... it's a big honor to know my work is liked and I couldn't be happier to know its made people entertained!
Regardless of what you think of it, you have to admit Stewie had one major point: at least Brian tries to improve himself.

Faith Toleration by Peach Wookie

Recommended by Happy Man
Synopsis: A alternative ending for the infamous episode "Not All Dogs Go To Heaven".
Comments: If you read this fanfic, you'd wish this was the actual ending of the aforementioned episode. It's wonderfully written, and it's not too long, and offers a much better resolution .

Wipe The Slate Clean by Breech Loader

Recommended by Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Synopsis: Meg hates her family, and she's going to give them what they have coming. It doesn't help that Brian's feeling suicidal. But if there's anywhere you can make a fresh start, it's Mexico - if they can get there alive. Will there be any survivors?
Comments: Many fanfics about Meg go on about her getting revenge - but they don't often get this serious, or this bloody, or involve attempted suicides. Working heavily from Meg's experiences in Dial Meg For Murder and acclaimed for its portrayal of Meg going Trigger Happy with a shotgun and killing her family, its portrayal of Brian as being better than canon, and its ability to bring people back from the dead just to have more fun with them. Rumours of the Giant Chicken seeking vengeance are abound, and the question raised in the summary becomes more legitamate with every chapter - will anybody survive?

Shipping Fics
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.

Coming Out by Howling1

Recommended by Jane Poirot
Pairings: Brian/Stewie
Synopsis: After the so-called "gay gene" is discovered, Stewie injects Brian with said gay gene in hopes of making Brian fall in love with him. It succeeds in turning Brian gay, but does not make him necessarily love Stewie. Needless to say, it creates complications.
Comments: Absolutely brilliant. Done in the exact same style as a Family Guy episode (only, in this troper's opinion, somewhat more smartly written), this fanfic could easily become an actual episode or special movie. Everyone behaves in-character, and it has some of the classic trademarks of Family Guy (random flashbacks with celebrities and an over-the-top subplot), and contains shout-outs to previous characters (for example, Brian's gay cousin Jasper, and even the infamous chicken fight). The overall message of the story, if put into the wrong hands, would have come across as a horribly broken aesop, but the author manages to avoid that and create a well-thought out aesop. Without a doubt, one of the absolute best Family Guy fanfics out there.
Second opinion by pimpdaddy . I have to disagree on this one. The chapters are very short, and the fact that they need to fill up a good chunk of each chapter with cut-away gags is pretty obnoxious. More than half of the second chapter was just line for line quotes from various episodes as "flashbacks". It doesn't really seem to stand out as a particularly memorable fan fiction, let alone an example of a great one.

Meg's Boyfriend and its sequel Meg's Family, by Malcolm Fox

It has its own article
Recommended by Happy Man
Pairings: Meg/Original Character, Chris/Jillian
Synopsis: After being abanoned by Peter, Meg meets a 7 11 Clerk named Zack, they fall in love and a bunch of crazy stuff happens.
Comments: One of the best and funniest stories I've ever read, written in episodic format. If you like Meg, and are tired of the treat she gets on the show (and many Family Guy fanfics), you'll like these two great stories. But the author doesn't limit to use just Meg, but practically every Family Guy character, as well as a good bunch of OCs. None of the characters are Out of Character, the Original Characters are far away from being Mary Sues nor spotlight stealers. The author also includes some of Family Guy's most famous gimmicks, like the flashbacks, pop culture references and irreverent humor. Lots of laughs are guaranteed.

[add review for Megs Family Series] add review

The Spellbook by Ander-Arias

It has its own article
Recommended by Largo Quagmire
Pairings: Meg/Original Character, Brian/Jillian
Synopsis: For her eighteenth birthday, Peter, on a last-minute gift-buying trip, buys Meg a spellbook. This spellbook gives Meg magical powers... and things get really crazy really fast, especially after Meg's new boyfriend gets involved.
Comments: Although similar to Meg's Boyfriend/Family, The Spellbook has some very interesting conceits. This Troper's personal favorite aspect of The Spellbook is the emphasis on familial love, something that is often neglected in Family Guy in general. This Troper also loves the ridiculous hijinks of Miriam and her sisters, the evil witches who constantly try to steal the spellbook from Meg.

[add review for The Spellbook] add review

Her Pain by ileana.banana

Recommended by Underlord Z
Pairings: Meg/Kevin
Synopsis: A short one-shot about how Meg has found out that Kevin has died and she feels like her world has fallen apart. Can she accept Kevins death and move on with her life?
Comments: An absolutely heart-wrenching piece. Wonderfully written, this not-too-long tale keeps everyone involved nearly-perfectly in-character, offers at least some closure for anyone who wondered if Meg found out Kevin had died.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

JosephWongKS posted:

TV Tropes: Academic Resource.

man, all those words about Poison and not one of them admits to jerking it to her ill-defined gender over the years

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress do they care so much about Meg

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Seth McFarlane deserves to have tropers send send him their work.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

Because she's a Woobie Meganekko something something.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Burkion posted:

Because Tropers can "relate" to Meg in that they are also a social outcast that nobody likes. But the difference a normal Tropers life is not a cartoon (as much as some of them might wish that were the case) and thus are actually outcasted for a reason. Whereas Meg is only an outcast whenever the writers of the show need an easy joke.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I like the idea that even in an idealized, artificial world tropers would be outcasts.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Do not try to read that gay baby Family Guy fanfic. It's badly written even by this thread's standards.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's a bit long for a thread title.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A variant of this occurs in the web erotica Lesbian Land 2250. The protagonist, who recently arrived in the setting, goes to get milk out of the fridge. As she's drinking it, she reads the label that says it's breast milk. Subverted when she doesn't seem to mind, and is in fact turned on by this. And then it's revealed that they regularly have women milked each day, with the milk being delivered all over the city like regular milk delivery.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
In Literature I assume?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

corn in the bible posted:

A variant of this occurs in the web erotica Lesbian Land 2250. The protagonist, who recently arrived in the setting, goes to get milk out of the fridge. As she's drinking it, she reads the label that says it's breast milk. Subverted when she doesn't seem to mind, and is in fact turned on by this. And then it's revealed that they regularly have women milked each day, with the milk being delivered all over the city like regular milk delivery.
Wasn't that in a This Troper video?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Don Gato posted:

:smug: "I'm not a pedophile, I'm an EPHEBOPHILE."
:crossarms:"So you're admitting that you are sexually attracted to minors? How the gently caress does a new word make it better, you still want to gently caress someone who isn't mentally mature enough to consider the consequences"

No that's the thing. They're not saying they're attracted to minors, they're saying they're choosing to pursue minors. It's seriously less creepy to admit you're a pedophile than to say you're an ephebophile, because most pedophiles didn't decide to be one. All ephebophiles chose it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
The latest instance of :pedophiles: whining in the P5 thread, in which a troper wants his Naruto fanfiction featuring underaged sex reinstated.

Highlights include invoking :siren:Lolita:siren: more than once to defend this fanfic, writing a lot of :words: about age of consent technicalities because the main character travels through time and suggesting that "we're concentrating far too hard on ~200 questionable words in a story 125000 words long".

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 17, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Nintendo Kid posted:

No that's the thing. They're not saying they're attracted to minors, they're saying they're choosing to pursue minors. It's seriously less creepy to admit you're a pedophile than to say you're an ephebophile, because most pedophiles didn't decide to be one. All ephebophiles chose it.

We don't need to start ranking which pedophiles are better than other pedophiles, there's enough hatred here for all of them.

Ninjasaurus posted:

"we're concentrating far too hard on ~200 questionable words in a story 125000 words long".

"But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Isn't Time Braid the one someone (Alien Arcana?) was doing a Let's Read of in the previous thread? I think he stopped after the pedophilia started showing up because ugh.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Do not try to read that gay baby Family Guy fanfic. It's badly written even by this thread's standards.

I will not fall for your Schmuck bait.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

corn in the bible posted:

If you're one of those people who's disgusted with Quagmire's hypocrisy in hating Brian when he's just about the last person who has any right to look down on anyone, and for beating a completely ignorant Brian at the end of Quagmire's Dad for something he had absolutely no idea about

This should not describe anyone.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
edit: wrong thread.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't Time Braid the one someone (Alien Arcana?) was doing a Let's Read of in the previous thread? I think he stopped after the pedophilia started showing up because ugh.

Yes, and somehow I knew it was going to be the fic in those images before I expanded them.

For those that weren't here. It's like Groundhog Day. Except with ninjas that literally start raping other ninjas so they can learn their ninja tricks.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Razorwired posted:

Yes, and somehow I knew it was going to be the fic in those images before I expanded them.

For those that weren't here. It's like Groundhog Day. Except with ninjas that literally start raping other ninjas so they can learn their ninja tricks.

So they're like blue mages but instead of getting attacked by the attacks, there's copious amounts of rape?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Razorwired posted:

Right, I'd forgotten someone like Lionheart would be idolized by Tropers. We are talking about THAT groundhog day fic right?

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
And now for something to take the weight out of this discussion:

The Seasonal Rot page posted:

There are a lot of fans of Thomas the Tank Engine that have diverse opinions on when the series went downhill:
* Some say it was when the show became less true to the Rev W. Audry's original stories. Awdry himself disowned the show following Season Three, when writers took more liberties with his stories and also started created their own, which sometimes disobeyed railway code and had inaccuracies to the story mythos. After Season Four, adaptions of the original novels ended altogether.
* Others say it was when the show became overwhelmed with the addition of new characters as well as some Replacement Scrappies replacing popular minor characters.
* Later seasons of the show are also disliked by fans of the original series because of many continuity errors, Flanderization, and the writers' lack of knowledge of how railroading works.
* A lot of fans were also disappointed when Brit Allcroft stopped producing the show and HiT Entertainment took its place and when the latter converted the show's format to CGI instead of using models.
* A lot of fans pinpoint Sharon Miller's run as head writer (Seasons 9-16) as the low point of the show, due to stories focused aimed towards much younger audiences and the most evident amount of railway inaccuracies. Season 17, where the series was taken over by Andrew Brenner and reverted to more mature storylines, has gotten a warmer reception thus far.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

BlueDude posted:

Best possible scenario: It's one guy who wrote all that and his repeated use of the phrase "a lot of fans" really just means him.

Please let this be the case.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BlueDude posted:

OK like, I'm a huge loving nerd.

I watch Power Rangers and Ultraman and Kamen Rider and Doctor Who and Are You Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps and

Just

Jesus CHRIST

That guy is a nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Burkion posted:

OK like, I'm a huge loving nerd.

I watch Power Rangers and Ultraman and Kamen Rider and Doctor Who and Are You Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps and

Thing is, those shows generally have something that can keep parents' attention (excluding Doctor Who, which was more of a family show anyway). I sincerely doubt that anyone in the working world cares about Thomas the Tank Engine.

(Now I'm wondering if this guy makes Pooh's Adventures videos...)

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Isn't Thomas the Tank Engine one of those shows that is bizarrely popular among people who are legit autistic?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ninjasaurus posted:

Best possible scenario: It's one guy who wrote all that and his repeated use of the phrase "a lot of fans" really just means him.

Please let this be the case.

Don't get your hopes up.

Thinky Whale posted:

Isn't Thomas the Tank Engine one of those shows that is bizarrely popular among people who are legit autistic?

Trains are really big with autistic people. I have autism and I've never seen the appeal, personally. It's kind of a stereotype, but there are legitimate things about trains and railroads that appeal to that audience.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BlueDude posted:

Is that show somehow still going? And has it really turned into CGI? I was so blissfully ignorant. :smith:

"inaccuracies to the story mythos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Speaking of people caring way too loving much about cartoons (warning: really, really long):

"The Mysterious Mr. Enter" (actual name) posted:

* "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Plenty of them. Click to read more
* Gives one to the writers of SpongeBob at the end of his "Stuck in the Wringer" Animated Atrocity.
SpongeBob: I guess crying does solve your problems after all.
Mr. Enter: Isn't it great that they're trying to teach kids such VALUABLE lessons in life? All right, you three — what's the word I'm looking for — dipshits? No, that word is too good for you. Assholes? That's not quite right either. Fuckers? No. I'm just going to call you three excuses for humanity until I can find a description that properly suits your crude, idiotic, and juvenile talentless ASSES! What reality do you three live in? I'd really want to know. I'm genuinely curious. In this reality, it's conventional wisdom that it actually takes an adult to write for children. What am I saying, that's not fair. Children would make better writers than you three. Hell, infants would. My DOG would, you mindless, degenerate hacks. You three may want to thank the lucky stars, every second of every day, that whoever you sold your souls to was stupid enough to give you your jobs. Because if you lose your jobs writing this trite poo poo, you most likely will never work again. Not just in television, but in ANY job. I don't know anyone who would lower themselves so substantially, to even reluctantly want your demented, poisoned minds around. Just leave us all alone, and go back to the loving sludge you came from.
* He also gives one to SpongeBob in the middle of his "One Coarse Meal" review.
SpongeBob: Sorry, Plankton, but that flies in the face of my good nature.
Mr. Enter: Good nature? SpongeBob, can we talk, just for a minute? Does ripping off someone's toenail fly in the face of your good nature? Does letting your pet be tormented by a monster fly in the face of your good nature? Does getting Squidward kicked out of the Cephalopod Lodge and upstaging him at the choir, for absolutely no reason at all, fly in the face of your good nature? How about invading his house and stealing his television show? SpongeBob, you have no good nature. Satan asks you for pointers. "Gone" is one of my favorite episodes because you are the living embodiment of evil. Just so we're clear, SpongeBob, the only good thing about "The Splinter" was that all of that was happening to you.
* Yet another was given to Casey Alexander in the middle and at the end of the "Pet Sitter Pat" review.
Mr. Enter: I love it how Casey Alexander talks like he's a big shot with mountains of skill and experience, when all he's ever done is SpongeBob from season 4 onwards, and Uncle Grandpa. Casey you're not an artist. I know we live in the self esteem generation, but you're not an artist. You don't make art, you make crap, you've always made crap. The few miracles that just so happened to have your name in the credits, don't change that. You have no talent, stop acting like you do, and maybe I'll have the slightest inkling of respect for you.
* Almost everything he has to say about Buck in his "Chicken Little" review is one. For example:
Mr. Enter: WOW! My loving GOD! When I thought that I couldn't despise a character any more, Buck do me a favor. Just, a semblance of a favor. ASK. ONE. QUESTION! No wait, ask one simple word. ONE. SIMPLE. loving. WORD! That word is why, ASK. WHY! Why would Chicken Little, complain about aliens after so long of being beaten down by the world around him, and after FINALLY getting a reputation, and after FINALLY having YOUR APPROVAL!? Do you really think that he likes being ostracized? Being abandoned by his parent? HELL IF YOU KNOW, YOU loving SHORT-SIGHTED COCK!
* He gives one to Nickelodeon during the first few minutes of his "Fart Baby" review.
Mr. Enter: Guys, I want to have a very serious talk with you all. And like all serious talks, it's usually best open with a joke: Nickelodeon. That's all I really need because as far as I can tell, Nickelodeon is nothing more than a punchline now. In my "SpongeBob, You're Fired" review, I said that Nickelodeon needed to die. At the time I was debating how much I meant that sentence, but let me say for the record: NICKELODEON NEEDS TO loving DIE. I have to ask what the hell happened to this network? For those just joining me, you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Once upon a time, Nicktoons loving meant something. (cue a clip of "Pigeon Man")
* He did this again in the Breadwinners review, when he found out that the show had reached No. 1 in it's 4th week, and the site saying that the channel was "putting kids first in everything it does."
memo: Breadwinners, the latest original animated comedy from Nickelodeon's Burbank studio, has risen to the top-rated show for kids 2-11 in only its 4th week on the air.
Mr. Enter: H-HOW? No seriously, someone tell me, someone just loving tell me, how the gently caress is this possible? It's not possible. Are people, really, this loving stupid, or am I just going loving crazy? Maybe I've died, and gone to hell, because this is just what I loving expect!
memo: It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does
Mr. Enter: That's just a pathetic, vile lie that's not even worth laughing at. Yeah insulting their loving intelligence. Pandering bullshit. Exposing them to infected splinters, driving their favorite characters to suicide, rehashing the most heinous stories ever told. Sanding down any quality that manages to slip through under their watch. Yeah that's really putting kids first. No at best, they only care about the bottom loving line. And at worst, they're actually loving malicious! "They put kids first", you couldn't be anymore insulting if you spit in my face after slaughtering my dog in front of it. Even a cursory look will reveal that bullshit lie for what it is. You are BLIND AND STUPID IF YOU BELIEVE THIS! No, I'm gonna go on. When the dog shits on the carpet, you rub their noses on it, and show them exactly what they did wrong. Sara Bibel, isn't that a fitting name? If ANY of this poo poo is putting kids first, I'd hate to think how kids are under your care. Nickelodeon is one of the worst loving companies in existence. Maybe that's because of Viacom, maybe it isn't, I don't loving care. This honestly makes me feel like what I'm doing is completely in vain. Yeah, I know I'm not going to break through the thick skulls of people like Casey Alexander, but, it's the kind of moment that makes you realize that I've been shouting at a hurricane this whole time. I can yell, and scream, as loud as possible, and it won't make a loving difference. Nick is gonna keep making these atrocities, and keep making them worse, and considering that this is the poo poo that people apparently WANT to see, who am I to complain? You'd think something would change by now, but, it's impossible. It's impossible to change anything...
* His Top 10 Worst Patrick's a Prick episodes list has three.
* He opens the review with one assessing Patrick's overall devolution:
What happened to you, man? Your stupidity used to be charming and funny, now your stupidity is one of the most insufferable things I that have ever seen. I mean, there's Flanderization, and then there's just, being whatever the hell happened to you. Not only does it feel like you got hit in the head with a shovel about 50 times, but that wasn't bad enough, you're now the biggest rear end in a top hat the side of Family Guy. You weren't always like that! You were once SpongeBob's best friend. Now it legitimately feels like you hate the guy, provided you can even feel emotions like hate. If SpongeBob doesn't understand morality, then you don't loving care about it.
* Near the end, he gives one in response to the implication that Patrick is aware of how destructive his antics are:
Patrick: SpongeBob, you can't always expect my usual brand of stupidity. I like to mix it up; to keep you on your toes.
Mr. Enter: He's doing it on purpose. He's always been doing on purpose. Everything you've seen on this list has been completely intentional. He knows he's stupid, or at least he's pretending to be stupid. Unlike "Breath of Fresh Squidward", this also affects appearances shown afterwards. Even more so than the ones from before. I stand strong in my statement that this is more of a monster than Puffy Fluffy ever was. He has become a loving sociopath, blind to the fact that his actions can and do harm to those around him. Those that he used to pretend to care about, those who he used to show fake laughter with, those he pretended to cry for. To think that my dog was named after this GROTESQUE cancer of imagination- *beat* I-I have nothing. L-Let's, let's just finish...
* The third and final one comes shortly after:
Patrick: SpongeBob, what's wrong?
Mr. Enter: How about what he's been loving TELLING YOU ALL DAY, YOU GELATINOUS WASTE OF SPACE?! Do you know how much effort you need to put in to become a worse character than someone who gleefully drives someone else to suicide? Worse than someone who constantly stalks and harasses people? DO YOU?! It takes some serious loving talent, and some bottom-of-the-barrel writing.
* He gives another one to the SpongeBob writers while reviewing "Demolition Doofus", calling them sick not just for coming up with the idea and Mrs. Puff trying to kill SpongeBob, but actually making it.
Mrs. Puff: Why are you still ALIIIIIIIVE?!?!?!?!
Mr. Enter: Not "Why are you still unhurt," not "Why are you still standing," it's "Why are you still alive." Th-There's no hope. Th-There really is no hope for these insane writers. Not just to come up with this kind of idea, but to go through with it and do it so thoroughly. That's probably my biggest problem here: how thoroughly they're committed to this stupid, stupid idea. Everyone keeps telling me this is a kids show. Who do the writers think they're writing for?! 'Cause it's not for children! It better not be for children! This is more than a messy plot line or inconstant characterization. Hell, it's not just the pure sadism expressed in countless other episodes!

(For the record: originally, most of this is hidden until you click the words "click to see more". Clearly, someone knows this bullshit needs to be stuffed out of sight.)

• Locked thread