Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It can work, sort of like spinach does. Or you could make a pesto with it and use that, as you might do with basil pesto. Putting fresh leaves on top after baking is more common, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I find with my steel, if I do parchment, I end up having to cook the pie for an extra minute and get a little less spring in the crust.

Major reason for this, is that I do the last 15 minutes of preheat with the broiler cranked up to superheat the top of the steel. Last time I tried this with a poorly trimmed parchment, I started a manageable fire.

I use two peels, one wood to place the pie using cornmeal and a steel to pull it.

pisshead posted:

A couple of quick questions:
1. If the dough is goign all cobwebby when I roll it out/handle it, what have I done wrong?
2. When rolled out and in the tray, should I leave it before putting toppings on and cooking it?
1) What's your dough hydration % and what method are you using to kneed it/rest? I had a similar issue when I made a batch of 66% hydration (what I always use), but I let it sit for a 20 minute autolyse without the flour and water completely incorporated. You probably just need to kneed more or let it rest post kneading. I also don't use a rolling pin, but if you are trying to roll without punching and stretching a bit with your fingers, I could see this happening.

2) After you form the dough there's no reason to let it sit again, you'll just potentially get bubbles.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I can't remember the last time we discussed this, but I tried to wing making pizza on a charcoal barbecue.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/gmj8m

However, this sums up the experience:

Instead of using less coals and moving them to the back/indirect heat, I put my pizza stone directly on top of glowing lumpwood charcoal. By the time I was done with the first test pizza I had one crack in it.

Once the first test pizza went on (Baking Steel's Mushroom Pizza btw), I closed the lid quick. After 90 seconds smoke was rising but I thought nothing of it as the top wasn't done... waited until it was... then had to chizel the bottom of the pizza off with a spatula on one side. Burned black on one half, uncooked on the other half and all of the top. The second pizza, smaller, burned all over. Third one I timed but uncooked top again and the same was true of the 4th.

This leads me to some research I did on how to do this properly. I was looking over at PizzaMaking.com and they appear to have a few leads on a few things:
1. The Kettle Pizza for $130ish: http://www.kettlepizza.com/
1a. Or you can make your own for about $20 + stones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdWPUKibdeU (but whatever you do don't use Galvanized Steel)
2. The Little Black Egg - in other words, convert your Weber barby into a pizza oven - cost varies but looks like I'd need another $60 Weber Jumbo Joe + stones (lots of designs, I've linked to my favourite): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4753.2020#msg262893
3. The Bakerstone Pizza Oven Box - $130ish: http://www.bakerstonebox.com

Out of all of those, I'll probably start on the 1a (the self built kettle pizza) as I don't have to cut into my barby, and doesn't have a high cost of entry and it's portable.

However, after all of that, I have a practical question, do you think aluminium roof flashing ($10-15) will do the job? It's melting point is around 600C/1250F, temperatures not far above what a pizza oven can reach. I can't seem to easily find non-galvanized steel without trebling the cost and it's also harder to work with. Aluminium I could work fairly easily with tin snips ($10 from Home Depot + $3 gloves) and make the rest out of bolts and spare wood ($5?)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

I can't remember the last time we discussed this, but I tried to wing making pizza on a charcoal barbecue.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/gmj8m

However, this sums up the experience:

Instead of using less coals and moving them to the back/indirect heat, I put my pizza stone directly on top of glowing lumpwood charcoal. By the time I was done with the first test pizza I had one crack in it.

Once the first test pizza went on (Baking Steel's Mushroom Pizza btw), I closed the lid quick. After 90 seconds smoke was rising but I thought nothing of it as the top wasn't done... waited until it was... then had to chizel the bottom of the pizza off with a spatula on one side. Burned black on one half, uncooked on the other half and all of the top. The second pizza, smaller, burned all over. Third one I timed but uncooked top again and the same was true of the 4th.

This leads me to some research I did on how to do this properly. I was looking over at PizzaMaking.com and they appear to have a few leads on a few things:
1. The Kettle Pizza for $130ish: http://www.kettlepizza.com/
1a. Or you can make your own for about $20 + stones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdWPUKibdeU (but whatever you do don't use Galvanized Steel)
2. The Little Black Egg - in other words, convert your Weber barby into a pizza oven - cost varies but looks like I'd need another $60 Weber Jumbo Joe + stones (lots of designs, I've linked to my favourite): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4753.2020#msg262893
3. The Bakerstone Pizza Oven Box - $130ish: http://www.bakerstonebox.com

Out of all of those, I'll probably start on the 1a (the self built kettle pizza) as I don't have to cut into my barby, and doesn't have a high cost of entry and it's portable.

However, after all of that, I have a practical question, do you think aluminium roof flashing ($10-15) will do the job? It's melting point is around 600C/1250F, temperatures not far above what a pizza oven can reach. I can't seem to easily find non-galvanized steel without trebling the cost and it's also harder to work with. Aluminium I could work fairly easily with tin snips ($10 from Home Depot + $3 gloves) and make the rest out of bolts and spare wood ($5?)

Is there a reason you don't just raise it off the coals a bit :confused:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there a reason you don't just raise it off the coals a bit :confused:

Already at the full height on a jumbo Joe.. Not that much...

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Try making pizza directly on the grates over charcoal. You absolutely need two zones. The same dough on the grill is a totally different beast from that made in an oven.

Edit: looked at album; you'll need a bigger grill or cute tiny pizzas

geetee fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 10, 2014

Ezreail
Mar 25, 2013
Has anyone tried building their own pizza oven? If so, can you throw up a few pictures?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ezreail posted:

Has anyone tried building their own pizza oven? If so, can you throw up a few pictures?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553893

Ezreail
Mar 25, 2013

Nice, thanks.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I made a batch of dough tonight, intending one to be pizza dinner tomorrow and the other three to freeze to use next week/the week after. The dough is meant to cold ferment in the fridge for 3 days or so, and my question is - do I let the three I intend to freeze go three days and then freeze it? Or do I throw it in the freezer now? I'm guessing the former...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'd like to try making a pizza on the grill and we have a 15inch pan for this.
I was planning on making a single pizza and was wondering how much do I need?
Something like 600g seems to be recommended around the net, does that seem correct?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Le0 posted:

I'd like to try making a pizza on the grill and we have a 15inch pan for this.
I was planning on making a single pizza and was wondering how much do I need?
Something like 600g seems to be recommended around the net, does that seem correct?

If you mean dough, I would say about 400g for a 12in pizza.

Also, I ordered pizza to my hotel room last night. The price was a fine, deserved for my mistake.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The first results of my Pizza oven build thread

Caputo 00 dough (20hrs bulk fermented, 6 hrs balled, both at room temp), San Marzano sieved tomato sauce, mozzerella, chorizo. Made 6.

Banana and Confiture de Lait (Milk Caramel sauce) dessert pizzas. Made 2.

Next time I need to go hotter and build a bigger bed of embers. I aimed to not overload the oven this first time, but I know it can higher to get that really spotty effect on the crust.

twoot fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 21, 2014

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Those pizzas look amazing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I made some pretty good pizza dough but I'm noticing my crusts seem to be like still kinda dry and kinda hard on the outside for my liking, even though I'm using 80% hydration dough. Is it just because my oven only goes to 550 and I'm having to cook it for like 12 minutes, so it's just drying out? Should I try to just brush some oil around the dough before I cook it? I've just been doing pretty normal tomato sauce + cheese just while I experiment with various crusts and whatnot.

If I lowered the temp in the oven that would just make the problem worse, right?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 25, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

80% seems high and 12 minutes at 550 seems long. I suspect you're getting something closer to a bread crust. I don't know if you live in the desert or something, but first drop the hydration and cook until the crust looks done (some black).

/e- You could probably drop temp and get a less dried crust, it really depends on the type of pizza you are going for and would be more appropriate for a pan style imo.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

poo poo. This looks amazing, it definitely tasted the part too I bet.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I have started trying out making pizzas using my cast iron with a no knead dough. Been happy with the results so far, have been very consistent. This has been my wife favorite pizza combo, garlic cream sauce, spinach, mushrooms and grilled chicken.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

80% seems high and 12 minutes at 550 seems long. I suspect you're getting something closer to a bread crust. I don't know if you live in the desert or something, but first drop the hydration and cook until the crust looks done (some black).

/e- You could probably drop temp and get a less dried crust, it really depends on the type of pizza you are going for and would be more appropriate for a pan style imo.

I am cooking it until it looks done, 12 minutes is about how long it takes. It's possible that my oven sucks and isn't actually running at 550.

Would dropping the hydration make it brown faster?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should have an oven thermometer or an IR thermometer, yes. It will also depend on the stone, when I had a cheap as hell stone in an oven at 600 degrees, it took my pies about 8 minutes to cook, 4-5 on a steel at the same temp.

Some baking gurus can answer better, but in my understanding, the higher the hydration the more chewy and larger/denser crust a bread can develop because of magic. You want a relatively high hydration in a pizza dough to stretch it out and to get a chewy crust, but not high enough to make a large/dense crust. If you've found you need 80% to have the chewy factor but don't add any olive oil to your crust, try that.

I think dropping the hydration will also make it brown faster, but I don't know the science behind baking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

niss posted:

So I have started trying out making pizzas using my cast iron with a no knead dough. Been happy with the results so far, have been very consistent. This has been my wife favorite pizza combo, garlic cream sauce, spinach, mushrooms and grilled chicken.

I bet that smells incredible and I would eat the gently caress out of it. Recipe?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm cooking on a baking steel so I dunno why it's taking so long unless like you said my oven just sucks and isn't coming to temp

I let it preheat for an hour at 550 and then cook it until it's well browned which takes 10+ minutes or so. I'll get an oven thermometer sometime and see if it's my oven's fault.

Eventually I wanna replace it but it works okay so it would be a pretty wasteful buy to replace it while it's still working.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

I bet that smells incredible and I would eat the gently caress out of it. Recipe?

Here is the no knead dough recipe I have been using.. link
400 grams (14 ounces, about 2 1/2 cups) bread flour
10 grams (.35 ounces, about 2 teaspoons) kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
4 grams (.15 ounces, about 1/2 teaspoon) instant yeast
275 grams (9.5 ounces, about 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) water
8 grams (.25 ounces, about 2 teaspoons) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to coat pans and drizzle
I also add just a tiny amount of agave syrup to the mixture as well, probably about 1 tsp

I let it rise in my oven for about a day before I use it.

for the sauce, its heavy cream, butter, grated parmesan cheese, and garlic. I've also started using real mozzarella for the cheese vs the shredded bagged stuff.

niss fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2014

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Well another pizza night, decided to try doing a stuffed crust pizza since my daughter loves them. I used that string cheese for the filling, but I ended up cutting it in half, mainly since I was short on that type of cheese, thought I had more originally. I think next time I would use the whole stick. I didn't get any side shots cause I ended up having to let it sit for a bit to cool before I even attempted to cut it, put to many pepperonis on it. Pretty pleased with it for my first attempt, though I think I could have let it cook a bit longer, but it was a big hit with the family.

I used my smaller lodge 10" griddle instead of my larger 14" lodge pizza pan since I was making slightly smaller pizzas. The small lip on these was really helpful in getting the cheese to form in a circle.

thegrimace
Feb 24, 2011
Made a batch of thin crust pizza's for the first time, turned out pretty good if I say so myself. But don't take my word for it, see for yourselves.

BBQ Chicken:

Pep and Ham:

Taco:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

First pizza I've made with all white flour in a long time. Celebrating my new 25 lb. sack of high-gluten flour. So excited.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Some great looking pizzas ITT lately. I need to get back into the game.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt
It finally cooled down enough here so that I can actually turn my oven on, and so I've been loving the hell out of Jim Lahey's No-Knead dough recipe again. Super simple, all you knead (gettit? - sorry) is time.
Couple that with this sauce recipe and some fresh buffalo mozz, and you have a pie that I eat in one sitting, because I'm a fatass who can't stop when something delicious and cheesy is in front of me.

KatticusFinch
Aug 19, 2014

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

FlushablPet posted:

It finally cooled down enough here so that I can actually turn my oven on, and so I've been loving the hell out of Jim Lahey's No-Knead dough recipe again. Super simple, all you knead (gettit? - sorry) is time.
Couple that with this sauce recipe and some fresh buffalo mozz, and you have a pie that I eat in one sitting, because I'm a fatass who can't stop when something delicious and cheesy is in front of me.

Also excited about the cooler weather. A stand at a local farmer's market makes kickass coal oven pizzas, but now I can start fueling my cravings without breaking the bank or melting my kitchen. Cheesiness is always a good reason to polish off the whole thing...

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
First run of the Uuni 1 pizza oven. Worked out pretty well, got a feel for how to cook with it. The second run should be much better. Wasn't able to snap a finished pizza photo, as each pizza was quickly devoured when it came out of the oven. This is a margherita on sourdough right before the basil went on.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm in St. Louis this week and out of sheer morbid obesity...I mean, curiosity, I'd like to try the quinticential St. Louis style pizza. Is there a particular place that serves the best one? Yes I am seriously asking for the best cracker covered in ProvelŪ.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think you should go to Guido's on the hill. Italian and Spanish restaurant. Service is hit or miss but food is really good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Today is the day I hate my pizza stone and my oven.

I made a great pizza today...the dough, sauce, toppings, everything was looking great.

I fired up the oven and let it sit at 550 for an hour to make sure it was good to go and cranked the broiler on high.

Slid the pizza on and thought 'poo poo, that looks juuuuust on the edge of the steel, but it should be fine.'

Let it cook a few minutes and went to move it. First time under the steel just pushed the pizza back further. Tried to grab it with some tongs but it was too far back.

I think I should have just let it cook with 1/4 of it hanging off the edge, but I dunno how I would get it out of there like that, so one final attempt and the pizza slid straight down the back of the loving oven.

We had take out for dinner. And beer.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Finished building a table for the pizza oven. Also adding a sheet of steel to the oven to help with upping the thermal mass of the bottom. Hoping to cook again in a few days.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have a question, essentially, what is the best way to make home made pizzas that I freeze and reheat at the office? I have access to a baking steel and oven at home and a toaster oven, microwave at the office.

When I make them at the moment, I tend to reheat in the toaster oven. But I've noticed that they tend to burn the toppings with this method and dry everything out (crusts like dusty cardboard).

I was wondering if it's best to make just a simple margarita pizza, cooked half way, then put toppings on when I reheat at work in the toaster oven?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Heners_UK posted:

I have a question, essentially, what is the best way to make home made pizzas that I freeze and reheat at the office? I have access to a baking steel and oven at home and a toaster oven, microwave at the office.

When I make them at the moment, I tend to reheat in the toaster oven. But I've noticed that they tend to burn the toppings with this method and dry everything out (crusts like dusty cardboard).

I was wondering if it's best to make just a simple margarita pizza, cooked half way, then put toppings on when I reheat at work in the toaster oven?

Is it out of the question to keep the pizza disassembled until you bring it in? Keeping the cheese+toppings in the fridge and then adding them after you heat up the dough would probably be your best bet.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm not gonna lie. I have zero problems with nuking leftover pizza. It's got a lot of water content so it heats pretty well, you just lose the crunch of the crust. It ends up kinda soft like dominoes or Pizza Hut, which isn't great, but it's not like it makes it bad if you used good ingredients for everything else.

The real mistake is not eating cold pizza though.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I'm not gonna lie. I have zero problems with nuking leftover pizza. It's got a lot of water content so it heats pretty well, you just lose the crunch of the crust. It ends up kinda soft like dominoes or Pizza Hut, which isn't great, but it's not like it makes it bad if you used good ingredients for everything else.

The real mistake is not eating cold pizza though.

This is why you reheat the pizza on a comal on a gas stove top. Works 90% as well as reheating it on a pizza oven in the stove.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Second run in the new oven went pretty well! Loads of friends and fun.

Starting a pizza...

Homemade prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella, pesto

And basil near the end.

Ooh fire!

Turning a margherita before the basil goes on.

And voila!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Heners_UK posted:

Slice weighed in on this a few years back and came up with the griddle/skillet method. Previously they advocated a microwave/toaster oven combo- which I've had success with and is probably a lot easier in an office.