Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

What are some of the better free to play MMOS on Steam right now?

I would recommend Guild Wars 2. I haven't touched it since last Christmas, but I had a lot of fun with it. Every month or so the devs add in new content in the form of a large event/celebration/etc. It's not exactly free, but there is no sub cost if that is the concerning part of MMOS for you. You can often pick up a copy for $20-$25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Croccers posted:

Before the Max Payne talk disappears totally. Max Payne 1 had a GBA port :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsG-VUYUhQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qAB4qBI7s&t=934s
All of the graphic novel with the voice work was in it. It didn't have the Baby levels in it (and some others were chopped out too). I want to see a 3DS port of MP3.
drat, that gameplay video looks pretty sweet. This must have been a really great title. I wish I knew about it when I still played my GBA.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Legend of Grimrock 2 has a release date, October 15th. Price is going to be $23.99, 15% off for preorders.

100% completed the first game so looking forward to getting horribly lost and eaten by spiders again. :getin:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Legend of Grimrock 2 has a release date, October 15th. Price is going to be $23.99, 15% off for preorders.

100% completed the first game so looking forward to getting horribly lost and eaten by spiders again. :getin:

Neat, so rather than a pure dungeon crawler like the first game was, this game is more akin to the Might & Magic games with an overworld connecting the dungeons?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lance Streetman posted:

Fair warning that all 3 of these games run on the Crystal Tools engine, which was used to make the first version of FFXIV. The version that ran like hot garbage on PC. And development of the engine was an absolute trainwreck, so don't expect a quality port.

It's Final Fantasy 13. Non-quality is guaranteed. :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm playing through Grimrock at the moment, it having popped up as a random Steam Roulette choice. I knew nothing about it beforehand and my heart sank when I realised it was a super traditional dungeon crawler.

But gently caress me, it's got its hooks into me bad. I can't quite pin down what's so compelling about it but I love how unpretentious it is. Here's a dungeon, here's some monsters, try and escape.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's Final Fantasy 13. Non-quality is guaranteed. :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Or you could play FF9, a genuinely good game that is really underrated by the fanbase.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So are you going to review this horrible manga thing?

E: ahahah scroll down on their community page

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Testekill posted:

Or you could play FF9, a genuinely good game that is really underrated by the fanbase.
I can't speak to what it was like on release, but people gush over FF9 all the time now.

Also it's not very good.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I like you, Dorroile, but you'll never be as good as kawaiikochans. I'm sorry.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

I can't speak to what it was like on release, but people gush over FF9 all the time now.

Also it's not very good.

It's hella better than 7 or 10, that's for drat sure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How the gently caress do you make the blimp spawn in Luftraussers? It's maddening, I've tried surviving a long time, I've tried high scores, nothing seems to work.

edit: I feel like this game would be waaaaay more fun if you didn't have to deal with the boats

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 17, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SynthOrange posted:

Don't do this.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm playing through Grimrock at the moment, it having popped up as a random Steam Roulette choice. I knew nothing about it beforehand and my heart sank when I realised it was a super traditional dungeon crawler.

But gently caress me, it's got its hooks into me bad. I can't quite pin down what's so compelling about it but I love how unpretentious it is. Here's a dungeon, here's some monsters, try and escape.

Yeah, apart from the satisfyingly difficult combat and puzzles that you have to really think about to make any headway, I think the closed setting you can't leave whenever you want makes the loot management far more interesting too, as you basically have to make snap judgements on what's useful and what isn't and there is no money or valuables or vendors anywhere, ever. Will you be able to backtrack if you leave something behind that you'll turn out to need later, or even remember where you left it? I don't know, and neither does anyone else. In Diablo and the like you'd be carrying twenty weapons you aren't using, but in Grimrock if you're carrying even one sword you aren't currently using it's because I just deliberately made up a completely ludicrous scenario where that happens. If you've got free hands, that's where your sword goes! If you don't, it's certainly not taking up room in your inventory from all the food and torches and weights.

I love me some Grimrock, and it looks like Legend of Grimrock 2 is going to manage that "lonely enclosed space" aspect quite well even in a more open setting with the whole shipwreck story aspect of it. Can't wait.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SynthOrange posted:

I did this while trying to decide which way the comics are supposed to be read.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

KoldPT posted:

I like you, Dorroile, but you'll never be as good as kawaiikochans. I'm sorry.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stop that.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

Stop that.

Alternatively, don't ever.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

K. Flaps posted:

I'm on board with this.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

Hi Steam thread. I just wanted you to know that i bought Uriel's Chasm, because it seemed hosed up and interesting, but it was actually just bad, and not very fun, and very short. If you are considering buying this game, please buy Sakura Spirit instead.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on that. Also what Flaps said.

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

AlbertRayon posted:

I'm on board with this.

Me too. Never stop posting.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

K. Flaps posted:

Alternatively, don't ever post again.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Lol.. the Quote Edit, classic sign of a good poster with great humour.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

God, has this forum gone completely to poo poo. It's YCS and absurdly proud of it for some reason.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Games. Serious Business

Orv
May 4, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Games. Serious Business

There's a happy medium to be found between serious talk and 24/7 shitposting, and the last three days of this thread have been the latter.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

General Emergency posted:

For traditional MMORPGS Rift is a pretty good free to play WoW-like. Lord of the Rings: Online is free these days and good. Some people like Neverwinter though I never got over the fact that the cleric weapon is a drat mirror.

Planetside 2 is a good MMOFPS if that's your thing and Defiance is a 3rd person shooty/RPG hybrid that's surprisingly good despite going from a pay model to a F2P one in no time at all.

Does it have to be on Steam? Star Wars: The Old Republic is F2P and is pretty good too.

Just to try and get us out of the anime debate, I want to pimp out SWTOR.

SWTOR's launch was loving terrible. None of the gameplay mechanics justified the sub, everyone hit the end to realize there was no content, and the balance was pretty bad at the start.

When the game went F2P though, it fixed most of these issues. You can now treat it like a glorified online only single player RPG, and play through each of the storylines for free. Even if you just go through the best written storylines ( Agent, Consular, Sith Warrior ) and avoid the not so great ones ( Trooper, Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter ) it still offers something like 6-8 months worth of free single player RPGs. Because who cares how bad the endgame content is when you can just stop playing that character, then start another one to check out their storyline.

When you first restart the game, EA will make a huge deal about how your experience is going to be seriously ruined unless you sub to the game, and they removed a ton of minor cosmetic poo poo/buttons to prove their point. Thing is, none of it actually matters very much as it doesn't affect the core gameplay experience/QoL stuff. They'll keep popping up popups asking you to sub to remove xyz thing, which gets annoying, until you realize none of it actually matters, and they are just trying to push people into subbing because if they don't, once people hit 20ish they'll realize the sub is pointless and the game is totally playable/fun when played free.

Even better, since there is so little to spend money on in the game if you aren't worried about vanity, you can use the credits you get ingame to pay for most of these features again off the AH. By the time my Consular hit Makeb, I had repurchased Account versions of everything EA ripped from the game to try and convince people to sub, meaning the only thing I was missing that sub players had was the 50% experience boost. However by the time my Agent was level 20-30 I was able to keep him constantly drugged up on experience boost stims bought off the AH, so I even had that. Now all future characters I play will basically be fully subbed in terms of benefits, but I'll be still playing for free.

The only real problem is if you never got suckered in back when it first launched. Everyone who owns a physical copy of the game starts as a "Premium" member, which basically means you level at the rate the game launched at. If you sub you basically level at rested exp at all times, which helps you skip all the zones on future characters. However if you just downloaded the client for the first time and never played it, you are only a "F2P" member, who gets a 25% exp penalty. This penalty sucks, and means you'll have to go grind warzones/Flashpoints just to stay up to par with the storyline. The best way to deal with this is to just drop $5 on something stupid in the store ( or just buy the expansion ), which'll turn you into a Premium member.

Rift is apparently getting hit by P2W style stuff, and they are rushing out an unfinished expansion according to the thread, so who knows how well it's doing. GW2 is fun enough, but they keep putting out month long events that disappear after the month is up, and all current events expect you to have been playing these events since the start, it's a bit dumb. And while LOTRO is pretty fun, it'll also drive you mad if you don't sub, since they removed more then half the content for nonsubs/you need to spend $100+ just buying all the expansions.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Saoshyant posted:

God, has this forum gone completely to poo poo. It's YCS and absurdly proud of it for some reason.

those yixbois ruining our proud forums from beyond the grave its disgusting

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

Except YCS was good

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

BigRed0427 posted:

What are some of the better free to play MMOS on Steam right now?

I'll second Warframe, especially if you're looking for an MMO that is only just barely an MMO but scratches a lot of the same itches.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rookersh posted:

Thing is, none of it actually matters very much as it doesn't affect the core gameplay experience/QoL stuff.

Oh, they did away with not being able to run or have more than X number of hotbars if you didn't pay money, then?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
SWTOR's pretty great and I'm cautiously optimistic about the Darth Revan expansion (Rise of the Hutt Cartel didn't have the best questing content, but improved the Raids/Operations by miles.) The story content updates don't come out super fast, but BW Austin usually knocks it out of the park.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

When the heck did thac0 become a selling point?

Also, Max Payne 3 is the best unlicensed Die Hard game, if nothing else.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Croccers posted:

Before the Max Payne talk disappears totally. Max Payne 1 had a GBA port :siren:

All of the graphic novel with the voice work was in it. It didn't have the Baby levels in it (and some others were chopped out too). I want to see a 3DS port of MP3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5e5iF6OvAY&t=24s

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

General Emergency posted:

For traditional MMORPGS Rift is a pretty good free to play WoW-like. Lord of the Rings: Online is free these days and good. Some people like Neverwinter though I never got over the fact that the cleric weapon is a drat mirror.

Planetside 2 is a good MMOFPS if that's your thing and Defiance is a 3rd person shooty/RPG hybrid that's surprisingly good despite going from a pay model to a F2P one in no time at all.

Does it have to be on Steam? Star Wars: The Old Republic is F2P and is pretty good too.

It's worth point out that Rift and Defiance share a common core, but I enjoy both. Old Republic feels off to me for some reason, although I've not made it off Korriban yet. MMOs are a casual pleasure outside of Planetside 2 and War Thunder (not real MMOs).

ArcheAge apparently launched yesterday, but they were fighting a DDoS.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I AM BRAWW posted:

Lol.. the Quote Edit, classic sign of a good poster with great humour.

No chance you could gently caress off back to FYAD and GBS, then?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Hav posted:

No chance you could gently caress off back to FYAD and GBS, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

drat, that's quite impressive, it even has better resolution than the Doom GBA port.

• Locked thread