Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re5k8qAOwho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
What's really funny is that the Taiwanese companies that got that stuff got all of their raw product from Yuen Long which is in Hong Kong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cults, mlm were banned in the 90s. Don't know how they got back recently though

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Speaking of cults, mlm were banned in the 90s. Don't know how they got back recently though

Amway is pretty big but I think it's because they're more legit seeming than most. Maybe they paid the right bribes at the right time or a connected person wanted to use it to fleece idiots behind the label of a foreign company. :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Falun Gong had a little hut outside the Chinese consulate in Vancouver, BC along with lots of posters and literature for years. I used to go past there regularly and marvel at the passing of time from the day counter they had going.

Not sure if they are still there, the city was proposing a bylaw that would ban semi-permanent protest structures like that a while back but I moved out to the burbs and haven't been by in a while.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's the deal with all the recent articles about the so called bad economic data recently released by China? I think one of the numbers was like -.2% off from predictions but I have no idea how to interpret economic data or what all that really means. In college the closest thing my degree touched on as far as economics were the different economic philosophies and whatnot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mustang posted:

I think one of the numbers was like -.2% off from predictions but I have no idea how to interpret economic data or what all that really means.

Nobody can interpret it for you if you don't even know what number you're talking about. Manufacturing growth has fallen again and electricity growth has fallen, which is a sure sign of economic growth slowing that isn't going to be directly fudged. Most importantly the Bank of China issued something like 80 billion yuan to some banks after having said they didn't think stimulus would be necessary so it seems the authorities are worried. Unfortunately because of the fake and unreliable nature of statistics coming out of China there's an unhealthy dose of Kremlinologist tea-reading in China economic forecasts.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
China just eased $81b into state banks, see they're basically just like us, gonna prop this poo poo up.

Mustang, writers love pontificating on China's demise because readers love it; but it's important to realize economics is fake; faith is all that binds us.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
china is developing very quickly, which has advantages and disadvantages.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

systran posted:

china is develurping very quickly, which has aduvanterges and disaduvanterges.

This isn't the thread for this kind of nonsense. :colbert:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Imagine if America or Europe underwent the industrial and technological revolution in less than fifty years. You can stop imagining, as a place like this exists: it's my country. In China, someone born on a poor farm in Liaoning can go on to own a luxury car in a cosmopolitan metropolis such as Shanghai. Some people say that the American dream is dead, but in fact it lives on. In China. While China has its fair share of problems--and what country doesn't?--this quickly developing country is also ripe with many exciting opportunities for people from all walks of life.

Zhang Zhihong, 38, types on his smartphone while sipping tea poured from an Xixing pot. He is dictating to his secretary regarding the closing of a big business deal. Everything is on the line, but Mr. Zhang still has time for tea. His secretary tells him the client's new request for their advertising campaign. "Mao Dun!" Zhihong yells. It references a tale from China's rich literary tradition which spans 5,000 years: a tale of a merchant selling both impenetrable shields and spears that can pierce any armor. What if the spear were used against the shield? Mao Dun--spear, shield: contradiction. Zhihong doesn't like the client's suggestion and feels it is hypocritical. He opens a tab on his phone's browser and sets out to research a new strategy. The waitress pours him a new cup of tea. This contrast of traditional Chinese culture and modern technology is par for the course in my country.

Little Lei, 8, lives in rural Henan. His shoes are falling apart, but he's happy to have a full plate of food every day and parents who love him. In fact, almost his whole family lives in the same village, and they often meet together to gossip over a plate of cool watermelons. Little Lei doesn't usually understand the gossip, but he loves getting attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not everyone in Little Lei's family lives in the village: his paternal uncle made it big in Zhengzhou, and he's visiting today. Uncle Xie rolls into the village in his own car. It's shiny black all over except where dirt from the village road has soiled the area around the tyres. "Nephew!" Uncle Xie says, holding a bag. When Little Lei asks if his uncle brought him any gifts, Xie opens a box of fresh Nike sneakers, and Little Lei has a great day.

Jian Liyan, 19, has passed the National Higher Education Entrance Exam with flying colors and is now studying at Zhejiang University. As part of the freshman curriculum, new students are given the opportunity to take part in military exercises during their first summer break. Liyan crawls under an obstacle, then sprints across the field before scurrying up a wooden board with small footholds. Thousands of other students are by her side learning what it takes to serve in the People's Liberation Army. A girl doing military drills? Isn't China still developing? Well, while countries like the United States or Canada didn't have equal rights for women until the late 70's, with New China all genders were given full equality more than seventy years ago! Through the military exercises, these students are learning what it means for China to become a superpower, and what PLA soldiers must sacrifice in order to keep my country safe. The students are also strengthening their bodies to be in great shape both mentally and physically for their second year of university.

Yes, while China is developing very fast--and with that comes many advantages and disadvantages--I think that the advantages are so great that you must focus on the positive. All countries have their problems, some worse than others, but to see what my country has achieved in so little time is very amazing and makes me feel a great sense of patriotism. Maybe in your country patriotism is not held in high esteem, or maybe it's even seen as a bad thing, but in my language patriotism is "Ai Guo" which simply means "Love of my country," and I think loving what my country has done is the most patriotic action I can take.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
On the other hand, every coin has two sides

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

Imagine if America or Europe underwent the industrial and technological revolution in less than fifty years. You can stop imagining, as a place like this exists: it's my country. In China, someone born on a poor farm in Liaoning can go on to own a luxury car in a cosmopolitan metropolis such as Shanghai. Some people say that the American dream is dead, but in fact it lives on. In China. While China has its fair share of problems--and what country doesn't?--this quickly developing country is also ripe with many exciting opportunities for people from all walks of life.

Zhang Zhihong, 38, types on his smartphone while sipping tea poured from an Xixing pot. He is dictating to his secretary regarding the closing of a big business deal. Everything is on the line, but Mr. Zhang still has time for tea. His secretary tells him the client's new request for their advertising campaign. "Mao Dun!" Zhihong yells. It references a tale from China's rich literary tradition which spans 5,000 years: a tale of a merchant selling both impenetrable shields and spears that can pierce any armor. What if the spear were used against the shield? Mao Dun--spear, shield: contradiction. Zhihong doesn't like the client's suggestion and feels it is hypocritical. He opens a tab on his phone's browser and sets out to research a new strategy. The waitress pours him a new cup of tea. This contrast of traditional Chinese culture and modern technology is par for the course in my country.

Little Lei, 8, lives in rural Henan. His shoes are falling apart, but he's happy to have a full plate of food every day and parents who love him. In fact, almost his whole family lives in the same village, and they often meet together to gossip over a plate of cool watermelons. Little Lei doesn't usually understand the gossip, but he loves getting attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not everyone in Little Lei's family lives in the village: his paternal uncle made it big in Zhengzhou, and he's visiting today. Uncle Xie rolls into the village in his own car. It's shiny black all over except where dirt from the village road has soiled the area around the tyres. "Nephew!" Uncle Xie says, holding a bag. When Little Lei asks if his uncle brought him any gifts, Xie opens a box of fresh Nike sneakers, and Little Lei has a great day.

Jian Liyan, 19, has passed the National Higher Education Entrance Exam with flying colors and is now studying at Zhejiang University. As part of the freshman curriculum, new students are given the opportunity to take part in military exercises during their first summer break. Liyan crawls under an obstacle, then sprints across the field before scurrying up a wooden board with small footholds. Thousands of other students are by her side learning what it takes to serve in the People's Liberation Army. A girl doing military drills? Isn't China still developing? Well, while countries like the United States or Canada didn't have equal rights for women until the late 70's, with New China all genders were given full equality more than seventy years ago! Through the military exercises, these students are learning what it means for China to become a superpower, and what PLA soldiers must sacrifice in order to keep my country safe. The students are also strengthening their bodies to be in great shape both mentally and physically for their second year of university.

Yes, while China is developing very fast--and with that comes many advantages and disadvantages--I think that the advantages are so great that you must focus on the positive. All countries have their problems, some worse than others, but to see what my country has achieved in so little time is very amazing and makes me feel a great sense of patriotism. Maybe in your country patriotism is not held in high esteem, or maybe it's even seen as a bad thing, but in my language patriotism is "Ai Guo" which simply means "Love of my country," and I think loving what my country has done is the most patriotic action I can take.

Fall Sick and Die posted:

On the other hand, every coin has two sides

lol

These may be the best back to back posts I've ever read on SA

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 17, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Chef Eggsekutif must love the country and love Hong Kong.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

systran posted:

source ur quotes

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Every* poor farmer a luxury automobile awaits.

*not nearly every

"5000 year old literary tradition"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

systran posted:

My friend just told me yesterday about how she had to do this for some conscription thing in Malaysia so congrats China on being as good as your (regional) neighbors.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If anyone is interested I can forward some questions to the author of the article (who is on wechat now) and post the responses back ITT

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

systran posted:

If anyone is interested I can forward some questions to the author of the article (who is on wechat now) and post the responses back ITT

Ask him if he knows of any cab drivers who went to great effort to return 1000 RMB that was left in their cabs!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Took me two read-throughs to be sure that wasn't from the Thomas Friedman Op-Ed Generator.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Barto posted:

Ask him if he knows of any cab drivers who went to great effort to return 1000 RMB that was left in their cabs!

I once had a guy drive quite a fair bit back to return 800.

Question for the guy who wrote it: what 5,000 year old literature is he referring to when he says China has a 5,000 year literary history?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

heh heh i'm the guy who wrote it, get hosed

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Daduzi posted:

I once had a guy drive quite a fair bit back to return 800.

Question for the guy who wrote it: what 5,000 year old literature is he referring to when he says China has a 5,000 year literary history?

I had a cabbie in Beijing give me 2 really good peaches once for free too.
There's lots of nice people in China, especially some of the older folks.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

systran posted:

You cannot imagine how much I hate you right now.

Also can I steal it to teach writing?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

systran posted:

I am actually curious about this 5,000 year old literary tradition. Are there any stories in common parlance older than Aesop's Fables?
Oddly enough, the story he refers to seems to be from the work of Han Fei, and the word itself merely means 'contradiction'. Are we sure it's a literary reference and not just an exclamation of 'you can't do that?'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Fei

I mean, this may just be a westerner declaring sour grapes, but I'm curious.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

systran posted:

drat, I was hoping for something interesting. Once again, Chinese culture shows it's relative youth and poor quality.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Daduzi posted:

Also can I steal it to teach writing?

You're seriously that easily impressed?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Torka posted:

You're seriously that easily impressed?

Structurally it's got a lot going for it compared to average Chinese compositions, but it's flawed enough to build a corrective lesson around. It would also be bound to generate discussion.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E8%87%AA%E7%9B%B8%E7%9F%9B%E7%9B%BE/57326

自相矛盾

The full phrase is Zi Xiang Mao Dun and it does actually refer to that story and wasn't completely made up. It is also used commonly in regular, day-to-day Chinese. Most chengyu are referring back to something from Chinese literature, even though it's not really 5,000 years old.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

systran posted:

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E8%87%AA%E7%9B%B8%E7%9F%9B%E7%9B%BE/57326

自相矛盾

The full phrase is Zi Xiang Mao Dun and it does actually refer to that story and wasn't completely made up. It is also used commonly in regular, day-to-day Chinese. Most chengyu are referring back to something from Chinese literature, even though it's not really 5,000 years old.

It's from 韓非子, so it's only about 2200 years old or so.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 11, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chickenwalker posted:

Hi guys just dropping by to remind you China sucks.

It doesn't though.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

5,000 years of fictionalized Chinese history take umbrage at ye, sir.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
What if we gave Qingdao back to Germany?
Would their beer get better?
Discuss.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chickenwalker posted:

every country sucks, humans suck, all is lost, hail satan

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Farecoal posted:

every country sucks, humans suck, all is lost, hail satan

Sweden is good, and also the Isle of Man.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Where is the respect for Egypt's 5000 year old literary tradition?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Where is the respect for Egypt's 5000 year old literary tradition?

China is in da Nile~

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

systran posted:

自相矛盾

Barto posted:

It's from 韓非子, so it's only about 2200 years old or so.
Right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Fei Han Fei.

Isn't that what I said? Slightly younger than Aesop's Fables, and that's something in common parlance still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Chickenwalker posted:

How did Bloodnose put it? Orc Warboss-land. I will never be able to get that out of my head.