Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 6+ needs to run a bigger framebuffer and backing textures, that reduces available memory even more.

If this happens then fire the developer for writing software that relies on having more than 1GB of RAM in a device that only comes with 1GB of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where's iOS 8? Or is it just coming out later today?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Due in about 30 minutes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tab8715 posted:

Where's iOS 8? Or is it just coming out later today?

10AM PST, 12PM CST, 1PM EST.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is there any difference with the release today than the GM edition that leaked last week?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Is there any difference with the release today than the GM edition that leaked last week?
Who knows?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So did all the initially advertised features make it to GM at least(minus the stuff that requires Yosemite)?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

iOS 8 is up now

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad Air. Whenever I'm sent my SixPlus™, will that officially be the most powerhouse thing I own? (Like graphics and processing, etc...)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's release is build 12A365, same as the GM seed.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh neat it's sorta downloading

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Excellent. Didn't want to re-download if possible. App Store is going bonkers with updates now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

iOS 8 is up now

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Neat, no worries for me then. Has anyone actually enabled / began using iCloud Drive? Aside from interaction between devices is there any other working functionality? Mac is on beta / not available and god knows when Windows will get it so is there any other way to manage the files? Would an option appear in icloud.com?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How much space do you need on your phone to install it? Don't want to fuss with iTunes if I don't have to.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bottom Liner posted:

How much space do you need on your phone to install it? Don't want to fuss with iTunes if I don't have to.

5.8 geebeez

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Not enough space to update :rolleyes:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bottom Liner posted:

4.6 Gb for me.

And to rehash the "base model storage" debate, it seems pretty lovely to require between 1/4 and 1/3 of the default storage to be available to upgrade. I'm not that price conscious, so I've always bought an upgraded model, but I've seen plenty of so-called normals use up all their space on large games, photos, and excessive iMessage usage. :(

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

4.6 Gb for me.

And to rehash the "base model storage" debate, it seems pretty lovely to require between 1/4 and 1/3 of the default storage to be available to upgrade. I'm not that price conscious, so I've always bought an upgraded model, but I've seen plenty of so-called normals use up all their space on large games, photos, and excessive iMessage usage. :(

Base available storage is like 6GB, and most people are getting the "5.8GB needed" so it's more like 90% of the space is needed for the update, which is only 920MBs download by the way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Is there any way to avoid this? This seems like an absolutely insane amount of space; I'd basically have to delete my Spotify cache, my Pocketcasts downloads, and like four games that I'm in the middle of.

e: also, it requires 6.8 GB on my iPhone 5S :shepface:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 17, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

abraham linksys posted:

Is there any way to avoid this? This seems like an absolutely insane amount of space; I'd basically have to delete my Spotify cache, my Pocketcasts downloads, and like four games that I'm in the middle of.

can use iTunes and install it directly but the servers haven't updated there yet :negative:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

can use iTunes and install it directly but the servers haven't updated there yet :negative:

Agh, wish I'd seen this before I deleted Spotify. I assume if you do it through iTunes, you probably only need like a gig or two free to copy it over?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

4.6 Gb for me.

This is a good point, and probably the best argument I've heard for raising the minimum storage. However, if you're low on storage its probably way easier to just plug into iTunes.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

abraham linksys posted:

Agh, wish I'd seen this before I deleted Spotify. I assume if you do it through iTunes, you probably only need like a gig or two free to copy it over?

My phone only had about 2G free when I updated via iTunes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Mine was downloading, then it switched to "preparing update..." and has been stuck there for like 20 minutes. Is this normal? I don't mind waiting, just wondering if the server is down or what.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I never used iTunes before and I'm definitely not gonna install iTunes for the update. I'm glad I still have ~9GB free space left.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

the kawaiiest posted:

Mine was downloading, then it switched to "preparing update..." and has been stuck there for like 20 minutes. Is this normal? I don't mind waiting, just wondering if the server is down or what.

Yeah, it took forever for me too. If you look closely, you'll see the progress bar is probably inching forward.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How on earth do I try out new keyboards? I'm not getting any results for the right ones searching for "fleksy" "swiftkey" or "swype".

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Lblitzer posted:

How on earth do I try out new keyboards? I'm not getting any results for the right ones searching for "fleksy" "swiftkey" or "swype".

Don't think they're out yet.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah, it took forever for me too. If you look closely, you'll see the progress bar is probably inching forward.

Yeah mine just moved forward a little. I have to go out in like 20 minutes though. Ugh.

Lblitzer posted:

They're not up yet, but Swiftkey should be up soon according to their Twitter. Here's the link they posted: http://t.co/mRzRJhnMFL

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Mine's also been sitting on "Preparing to Update" for a while, but it seems to be making decent progress.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Apple must be getting utterly hammered right now. I have my iPhone updating, but I am not really holding my breath for it to be done anytime soon.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just did a manual upgrade over iTunes and it worked fine. Here's the ipsw file: http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8-beta-download-release-date-features-rumors-and-news-update/

Just option+click (or shift+click on windows) the "check for update" button in iTunes and select the file. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My OTA download went from 45 minutes remaining to 9 hours and hasn't moved since. Joy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just download the GM from any of the million sites that have it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

See previous post about not wanting to deal with iTunes ever. I'd rather the download take 24 hours than deal with the poo poo iTunes does every time I plug my phone up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh man iOS keyboard is just like I imagined it. Very much like SwiftKey. Recent Contacts on the multitasking menu rocks too. I can't wait to use always-on siri when I'm in my car.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I had the GM for about a week then had to revert when I brought my phone to an Apple Store yesterday and they basically did jack poo poo for me (tried to have my sleep/wake button repaired since my phone's serial is eligible under some warranty or recall thing but since there's a dent on the bottom of my phone they said they couldn't fix it and sent me on my way - kinda bullshit)

Anyway, I could go back to that GM instead of waiting for this update to download on iTunes but I noticed a number of bugs with the GM (apps force quitting, no Instagram notifications, etc). If those bugs are present in the official release anyway then at least I'll have peace of mind that it isn't the GM. Whatever.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

AlmightyBob posted:

Base available storage is like 6GB, and most people are getting the "5.8GB needed" so it's more like 90% of the space is needed for the update, which is only 920MBs download by the way.

Base available storage on a new 16gb device is absolutely not 6gb.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My update is almost done installing, I started at 1:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

Base available storage on a new 16gb device is absolutely not 6gb.

Not all of us are rich