Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Took the Baja in for an alignment since everything was apart so it needed to be set properly now that all the bushings were replaced. A one hour $100 alignment turned into 3 hours and $300 :argh:

On top of that, spoke with the tech beforehand and explained to him what specs I wanted it aligned to and what aftermarket parts influence suspension and are adjustable, and he seemed to understand. 3 hours later I get my car back aligned to as close to stock as the parts will allow. Turns out he even turned the offset strut mounts to remove the added castor and camber they were designed to add. God drat, going to go back on Friday since I had places to be and was already running really late.

At least the wheels are aligned so I won't scrub the tires off just driving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, never go back to that alignment shop again.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty sure the filter in my 2001 Accord has never been done - the HVAC blows pretty weak even on high (it makes noises like the fan is running on high, but not much air comes out). My mechanic laughed when I asked him how much he would charge me to replace it and told me I probably didn't want to know, and said it was a 1-2 hour job. At $85/hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gS3PkCth68

Check that out. Doesnt look hard to do at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coming back from premob training. It fit!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also, I did this two weeks ago before leaving. Not the greatest (my first try) but I'll keep it for now until I find some more vinyl I like for cheap.

Compared to what it used to be:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I had it fixed. I bought the car with a bunch of little dents and dings (including one decent sized dent in the left-front fender that I asked about on here), and over last winter some rust began to form on the roof in front of the sunroof. Took it to the body shop recommended by a local Subaru dealer and couldn't be happier. As a bonus, they buffed it. Not that I didn't think they would, but... shiny. I've never had it buffed before. Not bad for a 7/8-year-old car.

No more dent!

So shiny. The wheels are going to be my winter wheels, I'm tired of running a nice car on Rotas. Picked up a set of BBSs and had them powdercoated flat black. :getin:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
New carrier bearing installed on the 94 Ranger.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Upgraded my sway bars to adjustable whitelines
Front bar old 27mm
new 32 mm

Rear old 15mm
new 18

Funny thing you have to drop the read cradle to install the swaybar on top and since the cradle has adjustment in it you have to take measurements and mark where it goes so you dont lose your alignment.
Some where I hosed up and started out with 9 1/4 inches from rim lip to the forward edge of the wheel well to 7 inches when I finished. So either I measured wrong in the beginning or shortened the wheel base by 2 inches.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got the old headlights and turn signals replaced on the ranger. Also replaced the grille and added a bug defelector.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Speaking of Rangers, I just did a set of plugs and wires on a 2001 Ranger for a friend of mine. I noticed it ran a bit rough and was quite sluggish and stumbled on acceleration. Aside from the dry and brittle wires, I discover this:

The plug on the right is one of the old plugs I pulled from the engine, the other 5 looked just like that one. The new plug on the left is gapped to the factory spec of .042"

Purrs like a kitten now. :smuggo:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 21, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

Dropped a big chunk of change on oil changes for my truck and my wife's car. Going on about 10k miles on my oil, at least it's partial synthetic :v: (Motorcraft 5w20 high mileage, if you're curious)

Also got new pads for my truck. I kind of hated spending $60 on them (would rather spend it on something else, like an ooga horn), but then waiting and having to spend $500 on new pads and rotors would suck even more.

Update: Pads that are on the truck have plenty of life left - all four pads have nearly as much material as the new pads I bought (approx 3/4"). No idea what was making them squeak. Calipers looked good. No debris lodged anywhere. Hosed everything down with brake cleaner, so maybe that'll help it some. :iiam:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

New plugs, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, pcv valve. Also replaced a couple stupid poo poo plastic coolant line fittings that broke along the way.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed a new factory ECU with a Nistune board pre-installed. Didnt take pics because its just a grey box with a loom plugged into it.

Will be getting a dyno tune in a week or two. Looking forward to a gob of midrange power exposing itself.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Laserface posted:

Installed a new factory ECU with a Nistune board pre-installed. Didnt take pics because its just a grey box with a loom plugged into it.

Will be getting a dyno tune in a week or two. Looking forward to a gob of midrange power exposing itself.

I love some Nistune - I'm running a board 4 and am currently working with my mechanic because the standard map sensor freaks out when you get past 20 PSI. Matt, the guy who makes nistune, has been good and has helped us over the phone a few times.

I didn't do anything to my ride today but I did order a new tappet gasket. The current one is threatening to throw oil all over the dump pipe.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tobu posted:

I love some Nistune - I'm running a board 4 and am currently working with my mechanic because the standard map sensor freaks out when you get past 20 PSI. Matt, the guy who makes nistune, has been good and has helped us over the phone a few times.

I didn't do anything to my ride today but I did order a new tappet gasket. The current one is threatening to throw oil all over the dump pipe.

Sup board 4 buddy. Type X running s15 turbo and injectors with a z32 on the way.

Matt is a champ. Sent me a preinstalled ecu and I just have to send mine back. Whole thing over in a day.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Installed a new steering rack and new motor mounts in E36 M3.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Planned on cleaning the throttle body. Popped off the resonator; throttle body and intake are still quite clean after 40,000 miles.

I'm still uncomfortable with this brave new world of clean-burning modern engines and functioning PCV systems.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

vinyl m striping decals

Slightly disappointed with the print quality, I'm not really confident that they're going to last all that long. Sizing on the rear one seemed a tiny bit off. Also, I might just replace the rear badge altogether, as you can see the fake chrome looks kind of worn.

$12.50 instead of $90+ for 3 new badges...Was worth a shot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

vinyl m striping decals

Slightly disappointed with the print quality, I'm not really confident that they're going to last all that long. Sizing on the rear one seemed a tiny bit off. Also, I might just replace the rear badge altogether, as you can see the fake chrome looks kind of worn.

$12.50 instead of $90+ for 3 new badges...Was worth a shot.

Does it bother you that one is upside down?

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Does it bother you that one is upside down?

Somebody on bimmerforums busted me already.

I corrected it about 60 seconds ago... hahaaaa

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Changed the oil (Valvoline high milage fro the ZDDP goodness), got a new exhaust installed from the muffler on back (:feelsgood:) , sanded and primered some rust spots, and fixed a minor coolant leak on the rolling Amber Alert.

E: AWWW YISSSSSS... Mutha-fuckin NOS amber turn signal glass and gaskets, and NOS/repro pedals!

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 23, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Changed the oil on the Avalon. It's only been driven about 5k miles in the past year, and about 5500 since the oil was changed. And apparently, in that time, it's started pissing oil from multiple places. Looks like both sets of cam seals and the front crank seal are leaking pretty good. The timing belt was done about 50k ago, and I doubt the seals dried out in the 6 months that it wasn't driven regularly. Guessing I can add that to the list of stuff that the dealer didn't do.

It's also dripping oil from the upper intake where the PCV connects - guessing it's got a bit of blowby now. :ohdear: I've gotta start looking at this thing more often; it was at least a quart low on oil, coolant overflow was nearly empty, power steering fluid was low... :cripes:

It's only seen Mobil 1 its entire life; it got the high mileage version this time, hopefully that'll help the seals out a little bit for now.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/bmw-aluminum-throttle-bushings

Very worthwhile upgrade!

Absolutely recommend it to anybody out there with a compatible motor. Made my gas pedal is a helluva lot more precise and predictable.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I replaced the wheel hubs on my 99 Miata. I had a loose stud on both front wheels. Came to find that all of the studs were floating in holes that were too large with .001% penetration weld boogers holding them on, and the grease had at some point been replaced with rust baby diarrhea. I only found this out, though, because I curbed my wheel and tore a giant chunk out of the tire right next to the bead. I imagine that if I put any sort of real load on those front wheels, that the studs would just shift around in their wallowed out holes. The PO tracked the car, so what I think happened is that he put extended ARP wheel studs in, and didn't want to part with them come time to dump the oil burning POS, so he knocked them out and sneezed some welds on the original studs so he could at least put wheels on long enough to sell the thing. Fooled me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fortunately for you it looks like new wheel flanges with bearings/seals/lug studs preinstalled are $23 each on rockauto, so that's an afternoon and $50 problem not a big issue.

Hate it when people do poo poo like that.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Already fixed! I got SKF bearings cause I'ma dork. They sent the wrong spindle nuts, but I happened to have some real nice ones on the subframe that is set aside for an exocet.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Installed a new pioneer radio with bluetooth and smart phone connectivity. Sounds 100x better than the old stock radio.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I brought my new ride home today. Already have a Steeda intake ordered. I don't know when induction/combustion noises became so offensive, but this car is too quiet.

Has the two liter ecoboost. Coming from a Focus, it's nice to have a car with some power again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Installed a new pioneer radio with bluetooth and smart phone connectivity. Sounds 100x better than the old stock radio.

Hey, I installed a stereo too!

The crimps are rattling behind the dash though. I think I need to get some of that fabric mesh wrap and give them something to be nice and smooth against.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I replaced all 4 corners of shocks/struts on the Speed3. The back was clunking and leaking so it was time. I brought it in for an alignment and by sheer dumb luck, everything was still within factory spec...

cheekyvixen
Aug 19, 2014
Apparently doing a water pump >:|

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey, I installed a stereo too!

The crimps are rattling behind the dash though. I think I need to get some of that fabric mesh wrap and give them something to be nice and smooth against.

I have the same stereo! I like it a lot, and my car won't accept a full-depth stereo so this was perfect. The android app is sucky so I just use Bluetooth :)

For the crimps, get some self adhesive foam and wrap them in that - it's what the automakers do. Or just ziptie them to nearby wires.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I ordered some of that expandable fabric loom wrap for now, and if that doesn't work out I'll probably just end up wrapping the individual crimps or the entire harness in hockey tape.

They're cap crimps (e.g. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wqjQnPPFvHA/p_120CCL1614/Metra-Crimp-Caps.html), so there's a bit of annoyance there since the plastic nubbin is so big and nonlinear.

I gotta open the whole mess up again because I realized I forgot to install the microphone anyway, so it will be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stop using cap crimps and start using butt splices, the availability of easy dad-puns while splicin' butts is worth it alone.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

kastein posted:

Stop using cap crimps and start using butt splices, the availability of easy dad-puns while splicin' butts is worth it alone.

If you don't like butt splicin', you're objectively wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't turn it off! Even with the "music off"-jumper activated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lujYIIHbmek

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Changed the oil in my diff, and painted it while I was at it. I hate rust.
I've been meaning to change the oil since I bought it, over a year ago. :doh:

One more to go - I still need to flush and fill the brakes to have changed all the fluids. Clutch I can't really do anything about, because Jeep went with a plastic master and slave with no bleeder. You buy it all as a pre-filled assembly. :ughh:

e: I'm going to paint the disc hubs and calipers to match eventually. White because the exterior of the Jeep is white, and I didn't want ricer red or yellow. Blue was an option, as was cast-iron grey.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 25, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Darchangel posted:

One more to go - I still need to flush and fill the brakes to have changed all the fluids. Clutch I can't really do anything about, because Jeep went with a plastic master and slave with no bleeder. You buy it all as a pre-filled assembly. :ughh:

My 2000 tj has the factory fluid in the clutch hydraulics, and it's still clear as new fluid. Just saying that it might not need to be changed if you haven't left the cap off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Darchangel posted:

e: I'm going to paint the disc hubs and calipers to match eventually. White because the exterior of the Jeep is white, and I didn't want ricer red or yellow. Blue was an option, as was cast-iron grey.

I'm so confused about the angle of this truck on the jackstands.