Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"Emmy Lou" was created by a woman (Marty Links) who just plain stunk at drawing human beings. I mean, ha ha, yeah they're gawky teenage girls, I get it, but there's a limit. Everybody's got gross stump arms and crazy spindle legs attached at random points to a ketchup-bottle-shaped torso, their crudely scribbled bodies only made even more jarring by the neat, confident lines of the furnishings.

e: Great, I'm literally Comic Book Guy saying the penciling is sub-Ziggy and the main character is off-model in every frame. Nice life.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he just really likes girls with Marfan's Syndrome.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I guess the people sort of look like drawings of some Mesopotamian rear end sculpture from 4000BC but the strip as a whole has a lot of charm and gives me enormous pleasure.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Maybe because hippies didn't always wear shoes? Does Emmy Lou qualify as a hippie?

Bleeker is surprised Refurb lost pieces again.

Pickles is better than anything Mike Lester ever did.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I dunno, they go barefoot in the middle of the sidewalk in Out Our Way too. Maybe it ended for good in the 80s.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Say Nothing posted:

Maybe he just really likes girls with Marfan's Syndrome.

Ok guys, Another Idea I've been having for a while. The plot to this comic is Emmy Lou got sick and had to go into the Hospital. It turned out, that the treatment for her illness is to touch this very large, green crystal with her feet.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But she doesn't like it, that part is important. That and there's a pony nurse for some reason.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

:smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you get that reference you're in too deep.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

Why does it not surprise me that Lester likes the football team with a racist name?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
One of my Facebook friends' mother went to the same high school Greg Evans went to. He did comics for the student paper.

Well, she happened to save one of the papers. From the 1960s:

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 17, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Ok guys, Another Idea I've been having for a while. The plot to this comic is Emmy Lou got sick and had to go into the Hospital. It turned out, that the treatment for her illness is to touch this very large, green crystal with her feet.

u motherfuckre

Wait, this isn't the webcomic thread.

You motherfucker.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Kids wearing shoes all the time is a fairly recent thing. Kids and teenagers would run around freaking everywhere barefoot(even up to the 60ish, I'd say) Kids today have pussy rear end feet.
My grandfather told me when he joined the army, he had to get another pair of boots a couple months in, after his feet shrank down. Hell, I think there was a similar bit in Robinson Crusoe, at the end. He returns to England and has trouble with his shoes after running around years barefoot.

People just dont seem to get that things have really changed.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 17, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It makes a lot of sense in the context of shoes being relatively expensive. You wouldn't want to waste the money on something your kids wears for a year before his feet grow too big, or if you did, you wouldn't want them to wear them in the woods or at the pond where they could get damaged, is what I'm guessing. Same with clothes in general, the kids in Out Our Way are basically wearing rags and from what I can judge their families aren't poor in any way by the standards of the time.

Maybe that's why Emmy Lou's feet are so freakishly large as well

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It makes sense to me in Out Our Way. It feels just like the kids in Skippy all wearing clothes that are seven sizes too big for them.

Emmy Lou, on the other hand, feels much more "modern" in every other way, and is constantly buying clothes. Her fashion obsession is like a thing with the comic. Perhaps it was just the fashionable thing to do that year or somesuch.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"Emmy Lou" was created by a woman (Marty Links) who just plain stunk at drawing human beings

She trained as a fashion illustrator. Everyone's wiry and lanky because fashion design focuses on the clothes; the people wearing them are just talking hangers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Partly that, partly because "teens and the way they dress" is a timeless concept in comic strips, but probably chiefly because Marty Links got her art training and worked as a fashion illustrator.

e: Dam!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Beeg posted:

One of my Facebook friends' mother went to the same high school Greg Evans went to. He did comics for the student paper.

Well, she happened to save one of the papers. From the 1960s:

Considering how a lot of teenage strips usually look, this is really good. Especially for high school.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

THANK you.

Cul De Sac YOU CAN'T TIE DOWN A BANJO MAN

The Creeps

Poptropica
Forgot to post it yesterday, here's a double dose:

Heathcliff

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
With regard to Emmy Lou, I've always been in the "gangly teenage girl/boy" camp. It just seems like she's accentuating that with the art. You know, like how puppies have absurdly big feet?

Anyway...

Jane's World

Yeah, I looked it up and it's definitely a movie I want to watch, now that I've heard of it. And yeah, Jane, I totally agree with your logic. Dorrie just doesn't get subsistence packing. :v:

Non Sequitur

-5, Wiley. Really dumb.

Double Heavenly Nostrils, Dana caught up.

I love Phoebe's :smith: face in the first two panels. Nice artwork.

:)

Kliban

:stare: Huh. That's different.

9 Chickweed Lane 9/17/2003

The cat ones are good. I smiled at that.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Uh, right. Weird way to put it, but ok.

Yes, let's. The internet truly cares about your "awful day". This, and cryptic Facebook status updates. Updates like, "Wow, such a bad day.", or, "So sad...". WHY!!? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SO SAD AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE!!!!???? I've actually responded to a couple of posts like that, in that way, and was promptly de-friended. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

All rigt, sticking with the tags, promise not to change my mind again.

I don't know why, but I love how they show white people in this strip. They're always so weird looking.

My favourite one:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Did I miss them partaking in the traditional rival seat switching ritual, or what? I'm pretty sure she was to the left of him (from our pov) before.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, I looked it up and it's definitely a movie I want to watch, now that I've heard of it.

Everyone should watch Priscilla. It's a great movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears gives us the punchline to a three-year-old joke.

:golfclap:

The Dinette Set learns that there is, in fact, such a thing as a dumb question.

Working Daze raises the question, "this time?"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set learns that there is, in fact, such a thing as a dumb question.

Wait, what? Burl is asking this? The dinette set set are usually the type to See No Evil Comix.

Pooch Café

Chazz never played Bloody Mary.

Ballard Street

No, no, you don't wrap it all the way around your head, you just press it to your face with both hands. That way once you lose consciousness you let go. Jeff's just going to suffocate in that thing.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 29, 1927)

Peanuts (September 20, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip HayWAAAAAAAH :smith:

Out Our Way (September 7-8, 1925)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Those cowboys are going to get heatstroke.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yes, let's. The internet truly cares about your "awful day". This, and cryptic Facebook status updates. Updates like, "Wow, such a bad day.", or, "So sad...". WHY!!? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SO SAD AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE!!!!???? I've actually responded to a couple of posts like that, in that way, and was promptly de-friended. :v:
It's called "vaguebooking," and people that do it are looking for people to pay attention to them. They will not explain if you ask. They just want a lot of "Oh no, what's wrong?" and "I'm here for you if you need me!" comments.

F Minus: An idea is born

Mary Worth

Mary's about to gently caress someone's poo poo up.

Rex Morgan MD

Shipment? How many of these does he do?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I hope David Cross is getting paid for this cameo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I love the drama they're trying to inject into a completely commonplace, everyday event. Next week's strip: Mary is heading home...but the car ahead of her is only driving 35 in a 40?! :monocle: :aaa:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Did the cars even hit? There's no indication in the art that they did, but I can't imagine what the point would be of showing Mary NOT getting into a minor fender bender.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I love the drama they're trying to inject into a completely commonplace, everyday event. Next week's strip: Mary is heading home...but the car ahead of her is only driving 35 in a 40?! :monocle: :aaa:

I don't appreciate these dramatic changes in the plot! I was really invested in Mary's grocery list!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, I looked it up and it's definitely a movie I want to watch, now that I've heard of it. And yeah, Jane, I totally agree with your logic. Dorrie just doesn't get subsistence packing. :v:

Nope. There is literally no situation that calls for socks and sandals, ever. If you need socks, you wear real shoes. If you're that desperate to have sandals with you, you pack them. Sandals are small and fit anywhere, basically.

(The real solution is always wear steel-toes.)

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

hexwren fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The yellow car in the first panel looks like a moon rover or something.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_It

I had to change the joke in the first panel pretty drastically. There are two ways of saying "of apples" in Finnish. The apple guy said omenoiden twice for emphasis, to which the offscreen guy replied with "Is it omenoiden or omenien?" I considered "Is it apples' or of apples" but I don't think that would have really worked too well.

Also, raaka can mean raw, rude, crude, brutal etc.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It'd be more likely that she's driving 30 and a guy behind her is going 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

• Locked thread