Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

We tricked all of you, and you never saw it coming!

PLANS WITHIN PLANS, YOU BUTTHEADS

SUCK IT

I am amazed at this outcome, and doubly amazed you won a bet.

Well done, you two little assholes. Way to harass enemies from the ground and chop them to pieces.

Edit: team build awesomeness is attributed to My Dad.

Stop starting tournaments on weekends when I can't test! :argh:

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: team build awesomeness is attributed to My Dad.

Oh absolutely, I was just an innocent bystander on the build specifics.

And while I didn't actually earn a kill, I did disable an opponent by first bringing him to the ground and then occupying him by getting choked out the remainder of the round while my team cleaned up. Everyone has a role to play! :shobon:

And somehow, I didn't die, which I think is the MOST amazing thing.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Ditto on riding My Dad's coattails to victory. I had hoped Gretchen would soften up opponents for the gremlins though, not the other way around. Tigerman slapfights are good too though!

LSD at the gangbang fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 16, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bad Munki posted:

I was just an innocent bystander on the build specifics.

You all went with the basic build you planned before talking with me, I just suggested how to tweak a few things. Like, say, using steel instead of slade in your case. :shobon:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

Like, say, using steel instead of slade in your case.

He was going to use Slade? God damnit Munki.

Just read the combat log. Good fight that could have gone either way. I really thought Gretchen and I would be tanky for the gremlins to do their dirty work. Instead Gretchen had to do all the work, but kudos to my dad's gremlin for not passing out when he got hit immediately.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 1, Match 2 :siren:

Two and Two Half Men, consisting of two humans (Issamael and Tukaram, managed by gbuchold and iLonie respectively) and two dwarves (Snarf Snarf Snarf and Akurduana, managed by grobbendonk and Reverence), faces off against Armok's All-Stars, a ragtag team of unbled fighters consisting of Gremoral Artery the gremlin (managed by decoy badger), Piston Mcquiston the human (managed by perpetulance), Mt. Molehill the molemarian (managed by Anchors) and Uz Eat Gladiators the troll (managed by Haystack)! It's a knock-down, drag-out display of horrific brutality in which only one man is left standing.

This match has no archers, and the eight berserkers waste no time in jumping into the fray. However, Uz lags behind. Will it make a difference?

The bloodbath begins, with Issamael missing a critical first strike against Gremoral Artery. The teams trade misses, the only half-man on the field scoring a hit is Akurduana--yet his spear can't penetrate Mt. Molehill's armor, try as he might against both the molemarian's right and left legs.

So he twirls his spear around and crushes Mt. Molehill's right front foot into gore with the shaft, scoring first blood!

It's at this point that Uz enters the fray, swinging at Snarf, but the tiny dwarf's dodging skills mean the troll hits only air with his massive hammer. Issamael and Gremoral continue dueling with no contact on either side, and it's at this point that a strange series of dodges leads to the following two fronts:

Akurduana and Tukaram beat down the unfeeling mountain Molehill while Uz, Gremoral and Piston gang up on Snarf, while Issamael's vendetta against Gremoral continues to go unfulfilled with miss after miss of his sword.

Mt. Molehill takes severe punishment from his two attackers, with Akurdana crushing his right eye using his spear-shaft and Tukaram severing his left rear foot with a clean two-handed sword swipe. Molehill takes his lumps like a champ. Meanwhile, Gremoral Artery takes Snarf's pick to her foot and falls to the ground! In revenge, Piston Mcquiston takes Snarf to his knees with a spear stab to the right leg that shatters bone! That seems to have only made Snarf angry, though, because a wild blow with his pick severs Gremoral's entire right leg off. Molehill loses her right hand to another massive swing from Tukaram. Things look pretty bad for Armok's All-Stars, until...

...Uz comes in swinging, crushing Snarf's ribcage with a cracking blow. Not even Snarf can handle this much punishment, and he collapses. At the same moment, Mt. Molehill rears up from the ground and latches onto Akurduana's arm with his sharp teeth! Even bereft of more than one leg and a hand--Tukaram even takes off Molehill's other arm while Akurduana struggles to free himself--the molemarian shakes Akurduana viciously, tearing the muscle to shreds and causing the speardwarf to drop his weapon!

Uz follows up his first dwarf-dropping swing with a second that crushes Snarf's head into paste, giving him the first kill.

Issamael, now outnumbered three to one, puts his agility to good use, fending off both Piston and Gremoral and keeping a safe distance from the man-slayer Uz. Meanwhile, Tukaram and Akurduana continue to beat on Mt. Molehill--Akurduana with ineffectual shield bashes and mighty Tukaram by taking revenge and sinking his own teeth into Molehill's last remaining foot, ripping it to shreds and ripping precious arteries. This stalemate continues until Uz catches up and crushes Issamael's leg into powder, sending him sprawling. Piston and Uz punish the human with spear and mace, while Gremoral's whip clangs harmlessly off his armor, but he's still fighting on.

Tukaram takes off Mt. Molehill's ruined foot with his blade, and the mammoth molemarian, nearly every limb severed, finally bleeds out.

Issamael, even grounded, swings his sword broadside at Gremoral and smashes her left arm into an unrecognizable mass of blood and bone! She drops her whip, and is reduced to desperate shield bashes against her rival while her severed leg oozes out her lifeblood. Akurduana and Tukaram are coming--is this a turnaround for the now-Two-and-One-Half Men?

Uz finally ends the charade and pulps Issamael's head. Gremoral collapses on top of him from blood loss the very next moment, the two duelists now dead.

Uz and Piston charge towards crippled Akurduana and mighty Tukaram in the match's concluding melee. It all happens very quickly.

Piston takes down Tukaram with his first strike, a spear stab to his leg that fractures bone, and things now look pretty good for Armok's All-Stars, until...

...as he falls to the ground, Tukaram lets loose a final sundering swing that separates Piston's head from his body. And none too soon, for in the next moment Uz's man-slaying mace smashes Tukaram's skull.

Only Akurduana, bereft of his spear arm, and the terrible Uz remain.

Troll rushes dwarf, and dwarf nimbly dodges--but not nimble enough to dodge Uz's fracturing blow to his leg. He falls to the ground. Uz's next strike crushes Akurduana's neck, but even suffocating through his ruined windpipe, he fights back. The best he can do, though, is give Uz a superficial tear to the arm with his no-doubt adamantine dwarven nails before the sadistic troll crushes his left and right legs both. He collapses from the pain.

Uz gives the dwarf's skull a ceremonial tap before crushing it into gore. Uz Eat Gladiators is the last man standing...or last troll standing, to be precise.

Armok's All-Stars have beaten Two and Two Half Men, 4-3!

Kills: Uz Eat Gladiators - 4
Tukaram - 1.5, Akurduana - 0.5, Snarf Snarf Snarf - 1

Combat Log

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 16, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was epic. I would describe it as a nail-biter, except that I think nails were about the only thing that escaped unscathed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Uz Eat Gladiators, indeed. :stare:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Welp! Congrats to Uz Eat Gladiators for annihilating my entire team.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Uz. Eat. EVERYONE :orks101:

But seriously, Mt. Molehill for MVP. Not only was that some pro tanking, that was a seriously game-changing bite he got in there.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I am not doing good on my bets. :saddowns:

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Great write up. MVP Sherman Tank Molemarian.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Why do you all think that Uz was so slow out of the gate there? He's definitely not overloaded.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haystack posted:

Why do you all think that Uz was so slow out of the gate there? He's definitely not overloaded.

Sizing up the competition for weakness. Merciless, easily exploitable weakness.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drat, Uz squashed everyone.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ZeeToo posted:

I am not doing good on my bets. :saddowns:

Right there with you, my loserly friend!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Failed his really stupid roll.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Trolls have a lower natural move speed than other races.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
4 vs 4 seems to generate much more interesting matches than 3 vs 3, if this sample is anything to by.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What's the best material for a whip? Gremoral Artery needs some armour too, those dodge levels were not enough!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Decoy Badger posted:

What's the best material for a whip? Gremoral Artery needs some armour too, those dodge levels were not enough!

I think whips are blunt and scourges are edged. Never did get conclusive evidence on that, though.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Holy poo poo :stare:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ablative posted:

I think whips are blunt and scourges are edged. Never did get conclusive evidence on that, though.

Yep.

quote:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP]
[NAME:whip:whips]
[SIZE:100]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:22500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:35:20:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:3000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]

quote:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCOURGE]
[NAME:scourge:scourges]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:22500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:100:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]

Long story short, whips and scourges are surprisingly different in play. A whip in Dwarf Fortress acts like a light mace, while a scourge is a blade that's so flexible it's hard to cut deeply with.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Good job, team!

That match was beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Normally I scroll down or check the bet page immediately before I go back to read the post, but these last two matches were worth being patient for.

Speaking of betting though...

Betting it all on Mt. Molehill has given me a mountain of cash.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 1, Match 3 :siren:

On the left: Modern Family! unwantedplatypus gives us Child Protective Services the Kobold, Zwingley gives us Urist McWingley the Dwarf, Bene Elim gives us Gnome Chance the Dark Gnome and Segway Rave gives us Leonard Lowpate the Dwarf!

On the right Purestrain Adamantium! pun pundit gives us Antastic the Soldier Ant Woman, atomicthumbs gives us Yeti Chan the Yeti, fluppet gives us ballbag the Kobold, and Space Bat gives us Lord Rand Paul the Human.

There are no archers in this match, so both sides run at each other in a ragged line, eager to join battle. Urist lands the first blow, nailing Antastic in the guts with his... copper war hammer. It's like no one wants to give the guys named 'dagger' a dagger.

It's all going Modern Family's way so far. Gnome Chance punches Yeti Chan in the pants, and bruises him through them. Child Protective Services stabs Antastic, drawing first... ichor. Another stab, and Antastic gives in to pain. Urist finds himself a stepladder to climb up and bop the Yeti on the head, and the skull cracks.

It's not going to be completely one-sided, however. Ballbag catches Urist McWingley at a moment of distraction, and the kobold's silvered adamantine weapon tears flesh and bone. In just one strike, Urist is overcome. Gnome Chance and ballbag both go to work on tearing apart the larger foes they've hurt. Yeti Chan's foot goes flying... and so does Urist's head. First kill to ballbag.

It's only moments later that Child Protective Services finishes off Antastic, so the fight is down to three on both sides.

Poor Leonard sees his teeth go scattering on the floor like marbles, but he and Gnome Chance continue chopping up Yeti Chan. Meanwhile, CPS chops off ballbag's arm, but... it's the empty hand, not the one currently holding the deadly dagger. The two kobolds pull slightly away and have a private duel.

Body parts rain down. Rand Paul finds Gnome Chance's pick in his arm, marking the first time he's dealt or taken damage so far. He will not stand for such an initiation of violence, however, and his counter-blow disembowels the gnome. Both grimace, and retrieve their weapons from the other's body.

In the background, Leonard's sword finishes off Yeti Chan, whose nearly-naked body could absorb only so much abuse.

So much blood. Somehow, Gnome Chance keeps herself together without her very bowels, and shatters Rand Paul's ribcage, collapsing a lung. In disbelief, the captain of industry faints dead away. More pick strikes shred his lower body, inflicting the same injuries he had on the gnome and more besides.

As their bloody duel continues, Leonard goes to tilt the balance of the dueling kobolds in his team's favor, but it doesn't look like Child Protective Services needs it. The bronze spear strikes repeatedly, chewing apart ballbag despite adamantine aid. The only thing Leonard Lowpate accomplishes is stealing the kill. Again.

Rand Paul is doomed. The only questions are what, exactly, will kill him and if Leonard might gank a third kill he had little to do with. The execution method is blood loss. The game gives the kill to Child Protective Services.

Modern Family wins a convincing 4-1 victory over Purestrain Adamantium!

Kills
: Leonard Lowpate - 2, Child Protective Services - 2, ballbag - 1

Combat Log

Now, if you'll excuse us, we have to get a mop and bucket out to get Purestrain Adamantium together so they can be ready for next round.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 17, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That is a whole lot of blood

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ouch, that could have gone better.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
You were supposed to attack Yeti Chan one at a time

he's a martial artist, not a warrior!!

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
I'm glad I padded my stats with some killstealing so I at least looked useful.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
My fight money!!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Yay i got a kill.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I really like 4v4 rather than 3v3. They seem to give some neater fights and results.

The issue I have as a commissioner is resizing the drat images because we picked a bigger tileset. Voting to pick a smaller one so I dont need to resize images after the fights!

Two fights coming up tomorrow, one early morning EST time, and one later in the day/evening.

Get your bets in people!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Spermy Smurf posted:

I really like 4v4 rather than 3v3. They seem to give some neater fights and results.

The issue I have as a commissioner is resizing the drat images because we picked a bigger tileset. Voting to pick a smaller one so I dont need to resize images after the fights!

Two fights coming up tomorrow, one early morning EST time, and one later in the day/evening.

Get your bets in people!

Just use [timg]! :eng101:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And make you all click on each and every image? I can't do that to you guys, that's mean.

Plus I browse on my phone/ipad during the weekends so I would hate to browse a thread like that and I'm sure I'm not alone.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Batch crop the images down with irfanview. You don't get the tile sets messed up by resizing them, and it's really fast and easy to do. It looks like you're already cropping rather than resizing though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you tried just using your mousewheel in game to Zoom in and out.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 1, Match 4 :siren:

On the left, Ugly Stick, featuring from top to bottom: John Fartbutt the Yeti managed by Gangsta Boogie, Vincent van Gob the Goblin managed by Afriscipio, Chad the Tiger Man managed by captaindirtnap and Tiger Uppercut the Tiger Man managed by synthorange.

On the right, Team Legs, featuring from top to bottom: Stinky Skinky the Serpent Woman managed by Zaltys, I Feel Asleep the Serpent Man managed by The Mattybee, Altoid the Dwarf managed by Ghostwoods and Don't hurt me the Strangler managed by Khisanth Magus.

*As a side note I love both of the teams names here, both the individuals and the team names themselves.

And they're off! No archers this time around so the 8 combatants make their way swiftly to the ce- oh dear.

Yes ladies and gentlemen Altoid has entered a martial trance before the fight has even begun! Suddenly the fight becomes more lopsided. But will this be the deciding factor in tonight's match?

The fighters make their way to the center of the ring and after a couple of whiffs from both sides first contact is achieved by Don't hurt me who drives his pick into the arm fat of Chad. The Tiger Man responds by stabbing the Strangler in the leg, achieving first blood and bringing the smaller creature to the ground! Stinky Skinky's whip cracks against John Fartbutt's left arm, breaking the bones within. The Yeti retaliates with a charge but doesn't capitalize on it when the Snake Woman is bowled over. Tiger Uppercut kicks Don't hurt me when he's down, pulping his foot in the process. John Fartbutt takes a colossal swing with his maul which solidly connects with Stinky Skinky's right arm, causing it to explode! The Serpent Woman's whip slips from her grasp. What follows are a series of dodges and parries. No connecting strike causes more than a bruise until Don't hurt me breaks Tiger Uppercut's right leg and he falls to the ground beside the Strangler! Altoid smashes Vincent Van Gob's right hand into paste less than a second later. Don't hurt me disembowels Tiger Uppercut with his pick, the Tiger Man retaliating by biting the Strangler's neck and clamping on! Don't hurt me still had his many arms, however and swings his pick hard enough to fracture bone in Tiger Uppercut's left leg! The Tiger Man gives in to pain.

Altoid explodes Vincent Van Gob's neck into paste while Don't hurt me decapitates Tiger Uppercut with a quick swing of his pick. The first kill of the match goes to Don't hurt me, who showed the world why you should not hurt him.

Altoid charges at Vincent Van Gob and knocks him over! He follows up by exploding the Goblin's left hand, causing Vincent Van Gob to drop his axe. I Feel Asleep inflicts his first wound of the fight by sinking his pick so deep into John Fartbutt's body that it pierces the Yeti's liver. A shot to the liver is a painful ordeal and John Fartbutt falls over, unconscious!

A bash from Altoid and two more pick strikes to the head from I Feel Asleep and the gargantuan John Fartbutt is no more!

After some very artful dodges from Altoid and some bruising here and there another massive blow is delivered! I Feel Asleep's pick thirsts for more organs and finds itself piercing one of Chad's lungs this time! The Tiger Man begins huffing, trying to retain air. The pick gets lodged deep in Chad's chest and the mighty Tiger Man collapses in pain! Soon after Altoid fractures Vincent Van Gob's right arm and the Goblin falls to the ground in pain as well!

With four fighters still conscious on Team Legs and the only fighters left on Ugly Stick being unconscious it is easy to see how this will end. The merry band of Team Legs begin to bash and pick their way through the fighters, deciding not to go for the head and prolonging the fight. Eventually Altoid lands the killing blow on Vincent Van Gob by crushing the Goblin's entire upper body with his mace. Soon after I Feel Asleep nearly bisects Chad with his pick and the Tiger Man finally dies.

This might have been the most surprisingly one-sided match so far. I'm not sure if this was due to the martial trance at the beginning of the match or not. Here are the wounds that Team Legs had at the end of the match:

Altoid

Stinky Skinky

I Feel Asleep

Don't hurt me

Score: Team Legs - 4, Ugly Stick - 0

Kills: Altoid - 1, Don't hurt me - 1, I Feel Asleep - 2

Combat Log

Lessons learned: Picks are scarily effective, Dwarves in martial trances are quite acrobatic.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Trances make the dwarf's combat skills effectively (skill+1)*5

So yeah :black101:

e: Anyone know why I can't run macros except the first one on my list? It doesn't seem to matter which one I have highlighted when I hit ctrl-p.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 17, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jack the Lad posted:

Yeah. Depending on his build, it's quite possible that Altoid could have soloed the entire enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

So yeah :black101:

e: Anyone know why I can't run macros except the first one on my list? It doesn't seem to matter which one I have highlighted when I hit ctrl-p.

:monocle: Maybe this is the problem that others have been having with macros.

To load a macro, hit Ctrl-L, select the macro, AND THEN HIT ENTER TO LOAD THE MACRO INTO MEMORY.

After that, you may hit Ctrl-P to run the macro.

Only one macro may be in memory at a time, so whichever macro you load into memory will replace the one that was in memory before.

• Locked thread