Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyway, I could go back to that GM instead of waiting for this update to download on iTunes but I noticed a number of bugs with the GM (apps force quitting, no Instagram notifications, etc). If those bugs are present in the official release anyway then at least I'll have peace of mind that it isn't the GM. Whatever.
I already said it's the same build as the GM seed.

And yes there are bugs. Expect 8.0.1 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Brock Landers posted:

Base available storage on a new 16gb device is absolutely not 6gb.

He's probably referring to one of the 8GB models that are still sold in certain places.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Maybe all this iOS 8 traffic is why my initial iCloud backup is taking days rather than hours (just got the 200GB option yesterday).

Please tell me it at least does delta backups similar to Time Machine so I don't have to do this constant uploading.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It does do delta backups, yes. Probably was a bad time to start doing a massive initial backup though, you're right. You had the whole morning!

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Is there a way to disable the swipe to the left delete email feature? It's a bit too sensitive. I know people in my office are going to be accidentally doing this and deleting emails.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My update is almost done installing, I started at 1:09

Annnnd I am on iOS8. Total elapsed time: 90 minutes exactly

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

DarkJC posted:

It does do delta backups, yes. Probably was a bad time to start doing a massive initial backup though, you're right. You had the whole morning!

Started it yesterday morning actually, still not done. :argh:

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
The update was almost finished extracting or whatever and it decided to stop and gently caress my phone up. This isn't the first time this has happened during and update. I had to restart and bring the phone out of recovery mode and redo loving everything.

I swear its this piece of poo poo old rear end iMac that ruins everything.

UPDATE: Now it says it can't be restored because it can't find my phone! This is getting better!

DiscoDickTease fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 17, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Annnnd I am on iOS8. Total elapsed time: 90 minutes exactly

Interesting, it took a guy at work about 25 minutes total right when iOS8 went live.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Dave posted:

Interesting, it took a guy at work about 25 minutes total right when iOS8 went live.

How can that be? I mean from the very start to the very end, which includes of course installation of at least 25+ minutes

I should mention I did the entire thing from the phone

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 17, 2014

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

DiscoDickTease posted:

The update was almost finished extracting or whatever and it decided to stop and gently caress my phone up. This isn't the first time this has happened during and update. I had to restart and bring the phone out of recovery mode and redo loving everything.

I swear its this piece of poo poo old rear end iMac that ruins everything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woahhhh all my family members have 8gb 4S's and none have room for the update. What are their options?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Woahhhh all my family members have 8gb 4S's and none have room for the update. What are their options?

Connect to iTunes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They made an 8GB 4S? I thought they only made an 8GB 4. Wow.

My coworker has one and is gonna take advantage of that Verizon $200 trade-in deal, which I have to imagine is way more than he'd get for that phone on the secondhand market.

geera
May 20, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Sounds like they might not want to update at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

geera posted:

My 4S has been fine for a week on the GM. :shrug:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

geera posted:

It sounds like if you disable the transition animation, it doesn't matter

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How can that be? I mean from the very start to the very end, which includes of course installation of at least 25+ minutes

I should mention I did the entire thing from the phone

:shrug: it was drat fast though, can't confirm if he did OTA or iTunes though.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

So the Update Server can't be contacted and it won't find my phone at all and its just stuck with this red iTunes logo and the plug symbol at the bottom.

I didn't even know there was a red Itunes logo, unless that means it's super hosed.

Am I totally screwed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes 12 is red.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

DiscoDickTease posted:

So the Update Server can't be contacted and it won't find my phone at all and its just stuck with this red iTunes logo and the plug symbol at the bottom.

I didn't even know there was a red Itunes logo, unless that means it's super hosed.

Am I totally screwed?

I have this same problem

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

So I downloaded Swiftkey and it's basically just a note taking app? Anyone know when a swype keyboard should be available?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Remulak posted:

So I downloaded Swiftkey and it's basically just a note taking app? Anyone know when a swype keyboard should be available?

That's not the app. The actual keyboard isn't out yet.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I am taking my phone to the Apple store almost 40 minutes away because its the only place that has appointments for today, otherwise I am going to have to wait over a week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw something on Twitter saying if you update through iTunes instead of OTA, you don't need to free up a ton of space on your phone. I'm not sure if that's true, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't upgraded already.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

^Confirmed. I tried updating OTA and didn't have enough free space so I did it through iTunes with no hassle.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that's how it's always been because they can unpack the OS on the computer.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw something on Twitter saying if you update through iTunes instead of OTA, you don't need to free up a ton of space on your phone. I'm not sure if that's true, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't upgraded already.

Maybe it was a mysterious conversation earlier in this very thread?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Maybe it was a mysterious conversation earlier in this very thread?
Oops :shobon: My bad!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yes it's true the iTunes method doesn't require loads of free space like the OTA method but it also introduces its fair share of problems with backing up your data to iTunes and then it has to restore it correctly back to the phone which it hasn't always in my experience. iTunes essentially wipes your phone, installs the OS anew and then restores your phone settings to what they were before but it doesn't always go smoothly.

I downloaded the GM so I had no choice but to use iTunes but given the choice I would always just OTA it.

FAKE EDIT: it's finally out

xilni fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 17, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can update through iTunes and then do an iCloud restore. No PC backup required.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

geera posted:

The "Users reporting performance hits and poor battery life after installing iOS8" articles were already written weeks ago.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is everyone who is scared of iTunes using Windows? I can't imagine not having a local, hardcopy backup of my information.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

xilni posted:

I'm not getting it in search results. Boo

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I let the new intuitive keyboard compose this post:

Hey guys please don't let the world and the rest of the best way to go back in my life.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

xilni posted:

Yes it's true the iTunes method doesn't require loads of free space like the OTA method but it also introduces its fair share of problems with backing up your data to iTunes and then it has to restore it correctly back to the phone which it hasn't always in my experience. iTunes essentially wipes your phone, installs the OS anew and then restores your phone settings to what they were before but it doesn't always go smoothly.

This is not what it does, only if you choose "restore". If you choose update it performs a regular update.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

xilni posted:

The new keyboards are extensions, aren't they? So is the swiftkey app a text editor with the extension bundled in?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

I let the new intuitive keyboard compose this post:

Hey guys please don't let the world and the rest of the best way to go back in my life.
Haha when I first got the beta, I made a tweet solely using the predictive text and it was complete loving gibberish.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

aBagorn posted:

I'm not getting it in search results. Boo

Me either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

HortonNash posted:

The new keyboards are extensions, aren't they? So is the swiftkey app a text editor with the extension bundled in?

It's a menu with help and settings.